InterContinental Hotels Group Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
51K
Found 947 reviews matching the search See all 2,220 reviews
fun but low pay
Inbound Reservations Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJuly 19, 2018
Please see the above description.That sums it up in a nutshell. They then closed down due to not offering competitive wages and moved to Dominican Republic and Manilla
IHG Review
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 19, 2018
The intercontinental is a diverse network of associates that team up to create a wonderful experience for our guests. It definitely is a stressful work environment .
Was great until the Company values changed
Room Reservations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 13, 2018
I was wholeheartedly looking forward to retiring with IHG. I was truly broken hearted when they announced that they were closing us down and we had lost our jobs to cheaper labor overseas in the Dominican Republic and Jamaica
Pros
earning reward club points, other incentives, great family culture
Cons
commission structure, insufficient and expensive health and dental benefits
Life at IHG
Voice Reservation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 9, 2018
Typical day at IHG, is taking inbound calls, and converting those calls to reservations. It's a great place to work! Definitely will miss this company.
Relaxed call center
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 9, 2018
Help guest with reservations, learned about different cities in the West Coast. Work Culture is laid back not much pressure, very friendly. Dealing with upset, frustrated customers and having to deescalate a situation.
Pros
food trucks and great manger support
Cons
Short Breaks
ok
Reservations Agent (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJuly 8, 2018
was an amazing place to work until they betrayed us and outsourced our jobs. the management was great!! fun family environment wish they would 've stayed i would've stayed forever.

Comment – July 9, 2018

This was a job I pictured having forever. The people are amazing. The pay could be better but to be honest all the people I work with make the pay not matter so much. I would have worked at IHG for the rest of my life but they decided to OUT SOURCE and leave 500+ people without jobs. At least they let everyone know five months in advance. So we have five months to figure something else out, rather then just closing the doors and saying today is your last day. So grateful for that. Still sad that as of November 30th IHG will no longer operate in the US.

could be better
Bartender/Server (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MN 55101July 6, 2018
the union makes it diffcult to deal with some people because of their seniority attitude. other than that it is a great place to work because of the union benefits
Somewhere to work while in school or till something better
Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXJuly 3, 2018
I have lots of years in the hotel business, but working at an IHG Holiday Inn has been pretty interesting. The lack of management there has kept the overturn in all the facets of the hotel high. They work their strong workers to death because they never hire when needed, our checks are usually wrong because of a manager that will not compensate us properly for not getting breaks, the list goes on. This is a job you get if you need something fast till you’re able to move to a better paying job.
Pros
50% off hotel restaurant meals
Cons
Bad management
typical day
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJuly 3, 2018
they are not completely honest about what you can expect to make. if you work for sales the metrics in order to bonus are nearly impossible to meet. management is ok but the higher ups only care about money and are willing to save money by closing the entire center and relocating to a 3rd party.
good working environment
Room Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 2, 2018
I loved to work for the Hotel.
It used to have great employee benefits and management was very helpful and professional.
I've heard things have changed since then.
Good memories
Fun environment, great work/life balance
Hotel Reservationist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 1, 2018
It is a fun place to work but after Nov 30, the company is closing. They decided to outsource to Dominican Republic which customers are going to hate speaking to a foreigner. It's sad when we lose good American workers to being outsourced out of the country.
Pros
Good benefits, fun work environment, laid back
Cons
Company closing in November
Ihg
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJune 30, 2018
I would clock in and immediately start answering multiple phone lines for reservations and customer service to our guests. I would make reservations, fix date changes, and transfer to the proper person to answer any questions. I learned a short cut every day for making my life easier while helping the persons. IHG had several managers placed in the office to help in any way needed during the day. It was very fun working at IHG, I enjoyed being in a caring environment and having so many people to interact with, including all office personnel. No person was off limits to receive updates and information "the doors were always open" all the way to the top.
The hardest part of the job was my wanting to make every guest happy. I am very caring.
Pros
Parties of recognition all the time for everybody
Cons
I gained weight because of the parties and all the food!
Great Culture
Customer Care Case Manager (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJune 29, 2018
IHG has an amazing culture that breeds evolution. The company is very transparent with their intentions and works to consistently promote a family vibe.
Pros
strong management
Fast paced work environment that builds on team culture
Corporate Customer Care Case Manager (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJune 24, 2018
Overall, IHG has been a great place to work. At the Charleston, SC office, the upper management makes it a big deal to make sure that the workers are happy and that morale is always up. They plan large events within the center, as well as with representatives from our hotel brands. There are opportunities to advance your career here, and the management takes all the steps needed to help you on your path to success.
Pros
Strong family environment, diverse customer base, fun place to work
Cons
Vacation/ Personal time is constantly accrued, not given out
Reservation Specialist - InterContinental/Kimpton
Luxury Brand Reservation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 23, 2018
IHG was a great place to work. The environment very friendly and relaxed. My manager was always wanting me to move up the ladder and get me trained and experienced for better things within the company. Positions were always moving around at the call center. They were awesome about growth withing the company and helping you get the training to move up.

I felt like I earned more than I got in regards to commission. The math is pretty complicated and you have to take a lot of your time to keep track of all your calls if you want to double check their math and I gave up on that after a while. So I just assumed no commission and it was a cherry on top for me financially. But I tried not to depend on it for paying bills.

But unfortunately IHG at the Corporate level has decided that they are getting the same experience for guests overseas at a lower overhead. So they are going to have all central reservation calls done in the Dominican Republic of Jamaica.
Pros
Great work culture.
Cons
Job is moving overseas.
I enjoyed my 16+ years there.
VICE PRESIDENT (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 23, 2018
The leadership was not focused on the follower. Too many individual agendas and silos. Everyone knew it but egos were larger than the humility provided from leaders.
Pros
Great benefits and nice place to have a career.
Cons
Too many politics for no reason.
Local 26
Room Attendant Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 21, 2018
Great to get into local 26 hotel great benefits and pays well. Employees are like family members. Employees treated well. Remove for advancement. Great insurance.
Sales job
Reservations Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJune 21, 2018
Answer the phones for guests calling to reserve hotel rooms. There is extensive training before going on the phones. They push you to upsale rooms so if you aren't comfortable selling people rooms they don't want you may not want to apply. Hardest part of working here was my manager. Most enjoyable was the pay and breakroom fun.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Poor management
okay can fun place to work
Customer Service/Reservations Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJune 20, 2018
It is okay working at IHG, I definitely think they need to increase their pay. Stress levels can be a little much and pay should be better for the stress of the job
Outsourced
Curriculum Developer (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJune 19, 2018
It's difficult for me at the moment to describe my role as I have just been laid off and am still grieving. I would recommend the company on the whole, but was not treated well by my manager at the end of 10 years service.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at InterContinental Hotels Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.1Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss