Interlake Steamship Company

Interlake Steamship Company Employee Reviews

United States14 reviews
Do what your told,give it your all and bank dough!!!.. a lot of time away from home but vacation time accumulates FAST and when you are home it can be week(s) if not a month,paid! All the ships have WiFi so that helps...
Good overall company to work for but you miss home way too much. Benefits started good but with every Union contract they get worse...but overall a good family run company great way to make decent money if you can handle the 56-95 hour work weeks and being away from loved ones my opinion best company on the great lakes to work for!
Company is coasting on its status as one of the few in the industry. Not at all responsive to issues in the workplace until they become a crisis. No interest in employee attempts to improve operations or efficiency. If you want to advance here, make friends with the powerful, it's not a meritocracy.
I like the jobs that I have been given its fast paced Im fine with that ,I dont like to be bored so thats fine.We get 4 breaks which is good so far I wont complain.
Pros
The break room is big and clean
Cons
I need more money wished they started at 12 hr instead of 10
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Interlake is privately owned so the employees really do come before anything else. The President is constantly looking for ways to improve the company and keep them relevant in a market that is changing rapidly.
Pros
Living conditions, pay, benefits, advancement opportunities
Cons
changing vacation schedules, nature of work, lack of sleep
Great working environment with a very cultured, cut throat group of hard workers. My upmost respect for all of the mariners that are able to work a lifetime there. Overall, I would love to keep the job if it didn't require to be away from home for months at a time.
I enjoyed the work and being outside, however because of the time spent away from home the job became more than I wanted. I enjoy working with my hands and being active .
the most enjoyable part was the sailing and seeing things on the water. the crew wasss goood and id do it agian in a heartbeat. just like the rest of the world its a cut throat industry. you better be the best on the water or you sink
I love baking and having everyone enjoy what I do. This ship like most you all become family. The pace is fast in the galley always watching the clock and that keeps you on your toes. The work is hard but rewarding. My Steward is one of the best this company has so I've been very lucky to have been partnered with him. Our galley is the heart of the ship. Its nice to have the crew hang out in the galley always giving us a laugh. Hardest part of my job is when they send out a relief steward who does not care, has no work ethic and or uses unsafe food handling.
A very good place to work. Plenty of vacation time, and the pay was very good. Many opportunities for advancement. Was a friendly work environment. Highly recommended.
Overall, my experience has been good. Pay is good, hours are great 70hrs a week. The management all depends on who is on the boat. I've had great, and I've had terrible. Just depends, and I don't play politics with management so I'm surprised that my overall experience was good(no butt kissing from me).

You have to take in consideration that this is more of a lifestyle than it is a job. You really can't understand it unless you've done it, or have been in the Navy stationed on a boat. Similar, but still very different. Bring something to keep you from going bored when you spend 118 day straight on a boat it can be numbing.

Office management: Give the Director of personnel an assistant at least, to many people to deal with and trying to figure out schedules etc. He is a very hard man to get into touch with....well not me.. This company is not small.

Boat management: Some are good, Some are bad. You know who you are, don't kid yourself. Give more direction to junior level people especially if they have never been on a boat!!!(not me, I've been on plenty)
Pros
Pay and Benifits
Cons
Some boats are just too clicky NO personal life!!!!!!
Excellent company to work for on the Great Lakes! Nine ships plying the trade patterns set down years ago by our forefathers of the shipping industry.
Great Place to work, even though the travel is immense the people make it fun and a solid work place.
From my experience working on the Great Lakes, I have never seen an as well organized fleet and crew. They put money into making sure their equipment is state of the art to ensure employee safety and happiness.