Interlochen Center for the Arts Employee Reviews

Great place to work, needs to pay more per hour
Night Auditor, Front Desk, Reception, Switchboard (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIOctober 27, 2018
I loved working for ICA. The work environment is very team oriented and they make you feel a part of something bigger. They have great management and the job acquired is exactly as described.

For me, they did not pay enough to stay competitive with other employment options and it was not enough to survive on as a solo job. They also could not give me full time which is what I needed most so I left mainly because of that.
Pros
free meal during your shift
Cons
not competitive pay
Beautiful Campus, Friendly People
Associate (Current Employee) –  Interlochen, MISeptember 5, 2018
Interlochen Center for the Arts is a beautiful place to work. They give you free meals and let you eat them on the beach, you coworkers are always friendly people, and you get to walk around and hear students making music. I get to come in whenever I'd like and my supervisor encourages me to learn new skills. Generally, people are happy working here.
Pros
Free meals, Diversity, Beautiful Campus, Friendly People
Cons
Very hectic during certain seasons
A typical day at work
Stage Services Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIJuly 27, 2018
If you are scheduled to work a venue for a certain time, you have to be there at least 30mins to 1hr before rehearsal's and or concerts begin so you can have everything set up prior to show time. Once your concert/rehearsal is done, you go straight to your next call from your schedule in which you are assigned to.
Pros
Live on campus and free meals during the summer and free concerts for presentation staff
Cons
schedule changes frequently, some days are long, lot's of walking
Okay work place
Dining Services (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIMay 10, 2018
Trash management which made my work twice as hard and management that like to mess with your wage once again a place for high schoolers to work with the least amount of wage capable to earn.
Pros
Cons
bad culture, managment
Expect to stay busy-- and get little time to yourself
Cabin Counselor/Campus Mailroom Worker (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIMarch 20, 2018
Summer camp counselor is one of those jobs that typically does constant hours (you live at work, after all), can be fun and rewarding (or the campers can drive you nuts), and leaves you no time to get away for more than a day until camp ends. Your summer will be booked solid until the last day, with no real time off. But this particular camp is a very interesting, vibrant place, so it may just be worth it.
Pros
Room and board, playing with kids is a lot of your job
Cons
No real time off, can be very stressful sometimes, not much money
Exciting and Inspiring workplace
Melody Freeze Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIJanuary 14, 2018
At Interlochen Center for the Arts I worked at a cafe on campus, equivalent to a Tim Hortons or Dairy Queen. I had no pay for this job due to my voluntary efforts to gain experience. As a student, it would be virtually impossible to work more than three hours a week due to a load of work given by your academic and artistic instructors. Overall, this is a great place to be as an artist and as a person interested in an artistic community.
A dynamic environment
Front Desk Receptionist/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MISeptember 4, 2017
It was a pleasure to work at the Stone Hotel at Interlochen Center for the Arts. The guests were cordial, the work interesting and clear, and the atmosphere was accepting and exemplified a commitment to the arts.
Exciting place to work
Clinical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Interlochen, MIAugust 1, 2017
IAA is a great place to work. The people are friendly and the environment is awesome. They treat people fair and with respect. Great things are happening all the time.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
can't think of any cons
Overall nice place to work
Purchasing Assistant & Copy Room Clerk (Current Employee) –  Interlochen, MIJune 30, 2017
Interlochen is a nice place to work if you find the right position in the right department. In my department, they are very flexible when you need time for personal things.
Pros
Free Lunch, Good Benefits, Discounts
Cons
Pay
Fun place to work and to get to know people from all over the world
Manager (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIJanuary 31, 2017
Every day was different. Not only did I help the campers/students on a daily basis, I also helped thousands of people coming to campus for the various concerts and performances. There was never a dull moment.
Company is on the downfall.
Worker (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIAugust 18, 2016
As an employee, this job starts out great... when it was 10 years ago. Now there is new management that coves up any issues. Favors the older workers, and piles the workload on the your ones. I guess it would be a great job if you are 70 years+. There are certain departments that are just falling apart and management does nothing about it.
Pros
Coworker relatinships
Cons
Employee Favoritism, poor management, horrible food, not enough pay for job
its been a while
Residence Hall Manager (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIApril 17, 2016
It's been some years since I worked here. It wasn't a terrible experience, however, there were some issues with the division of the workload (multiple people with the same job and title having less responsibility than others, with no difference in pay. This was an issue for me so I tried to negotiate a change in work or pay and was declined so I left.
The kids are great, they are the reason to work here.
If you like the outdoors this could be a dream job. If you don't you may struggle. There isn't much of a community, at least during the academic year. the nearby city has a few basic things, it really lacks diversity, though. there really isn't a nightlife.
Now, I could be wrong, it was several years ago. but I'm pretty sure there are bear near campus and the area is just as conservative as before.
Pros
the kids for sure, the breaks
Cons
no social life, in the woods, bear, compensation
Excellent Arts School with a cutting edge mission
Executive Director, HR & Operations (Current Employee) –  Interlochen, MIMarch 8, 2016
I am on Senior Staff so I think I would be biased and choose not to comment at this time. Thank you. It is a great and wonderful place to work.
Pros
Free lunch, Great Benefits
Gained Experience
Sound/Lighting Technician (Current Employee) –  Interlochen, MIJuly 29, 2015
It was an experiencing job. I worked with various people from around the country who studied in the same field I was. I learned so many things while working there. and I enjoyed every moment working at Interlochen. I would recommend anyone to work there.
Pros
Great working environment, free meals, and lodging
Cons
n/a
Fun place to work, hard to make a career of
Kiln Manager (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIJune 15, 2015
Interlochen was an incredible place to spend a summer and get some work experience. Their facilities are top notch and their staff is world class. Pay however is lacking and you will sacrifice your social life during that time.
Pros
Incredible facilities, world class staff, beautiful campus, great opportunities and connections
Cons
no freedom, very little pay and time off, must abide by restrictive campus lifestyle, little opportunity for social connection and recreation outside of campus
Transportation Department
Full time transportation (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIApril 12, 2015
Very friendly place to work. There are no typical days, as the schedule changes with a phone call. Hardest par the of the job is loading and unloading heavy luggage.
Pros
40 hours a week with.
Cons
Difficult to have a personal life with all the schedule changes.
Exciting place to work with talented boarding students!
Hall Counselor (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIJanuary 22, 2015
The campus of Interlochen overflows with hundreds of talented students with majors ranging from Music to Motion Picture Arts.

A typical day would begin at 8 am and end at 1 am the next day consisting of seeing students leave the residence hall in the morning on their way to classes, if you're not substituting a class. Having office hours to answer phone calls, and be a presence in the building. Monitoring meals, tutoring, and planning student activities. Lasting sitting desk in the evening making sure all residents are accounted for and in their rooms by curfew.

I've grown professionally in fields of management, communication, and disciplinary actions. Its an absolute joy to be hands on with student affairs.

The staff of Residence Life & Housing has to be close knit and a unbreakable team. You live, work, and play with them.

The most complicating part of this job was not having a social life with those outside of work.

I enjoyed most being an important component to all students academic, and social life while perfecting their art.
Pros
Free Room & Board, Benefits, and Shows
Cons
No social life, long hours, low pay
Awsome place to work
Caterer (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIJanuary 29, 2013
I worked catering which was actually very easy to handle even during the busy season. They give plenty of time and heads up about upcoming events and functions. If you need any help just ask and the boss will help you without complaint.
Pros
free meals, flexible schedule
Cons
long periods of downtime
Productive place with good people to work with.
Dining Services (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIOctober 25, 2012
A typical work day is about two shifts. Triple shifts sometimes happen. I've learned how to work with other people and provide excellent customer service. The management is easily likeable. The hardest part of the job is getting up to do the breakfast shift (6 a.m.) and the triple shifts do take a toll on you. The most enjoyable part is that I'm working in a place of the arts, which is my deepest passion.
Pros
free meals, ice cream discounts, ticket discounts.
Cons
early shifts, triple shifts, etc.
Beautiful place to "work"
Camp Counselor and Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIOctober 18, 2012
You sleep in cabins, lead children as they play games and sing songs by the campfire. Best summer job ever!