Internal Revenue Service Employee Reviews

Found 3,151 reviews matching the search See all 3,205 reviews
Working enviroment
Contact Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 18, 2018
As a federal agency they will teach you the basics of performing the job you were hired for. There are strict guidelines on which your manager/supervisor will base your performance on as well.
My Experience
Customer Contact Specialist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 18, 2018
I enjoyed the work experience at the IRS. The management team was awesome and made going to work very enjoyable.I wish that I could have been placed on the morning shift but it was not available during the time that I was hired.
Pros
Being a problem solver.
Cons
Work Shift
Vita
Volunteer Income Tax Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYAugust 17, 2018
Good learning experience to learn about taxes. Low income individuals came to have there taxes done, it was a win win situation for everyone involved.
Chill and fast-paced
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 17, 2018
IRS mail clerk position is a seasonal job right now for me. I loved it! You open mail and if you're looking for a sit down job, this is for you. Coming from a job where I was on my feet all the time working with rude customers and unhelpful co-workers. This job was a dream. I'm currently in the process of trying to work my way up in the company and I look forward to more rewarding moments.
Pros
relaxed environment, listen to music while you work
Intense Training in Finances
Revenue Officer and Special Procedures Advisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 16, 2018
Field agent good for getting out of the office and mundane work atmosphere, but it was hard to change from government employeee to corporate sector. I learned a lot at this job about businesses and taxes.
I enjoyed this position
Clerk III, data entry (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 16, 2018
This position was pretty good as well because I was handed a pile of papers and was left alone to just enter information into the computer. I also worked around alot of great people
Pros
Part time
Cons
Short breaks
Fair review
Data Transcriber (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 16, 2018
The Internal Revenue Service was only a seasonal job from January until August when I was working. I did enjoy doing my job because I did it at my own pace and speed and receive a fair evaluation for it.
Good company that provides a decent workplace and management.
Mail Clerk, Grade (Former Employee) –  Covington, KYAugust 16, 2018
I worked in the mail room, opening mail and sorting different forms and checks, making sure to put in appropriate place. Checks were to be handled with great care and accuracy. The pace was as fast as you wanted it to be. Management was fair and listened to your concerns. The hardest part of the job was sitting 8 hours a day. We were allowed breaks and lunch, but the constant sitting was difficult to get used to.
Pros
Fair compensation and benefits.
Cons
Constant sitting.
Fast paced
Seasonal Tax Examiner (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 15, 2018
Working at the IRS was very challenging, but in a good way. I had to code and edit tax returns in a timely and accurate manner. I always maintained the highest ranking of their standards. Management was always available to answer questions and be of help. I learned excellent time management. The hours were great. The only downside was it was a bit of a commute.
Pros
Great hours, challenging work
Cons
Commute
Very resistant to change
Tax Examining Technician (Former Employee) –  Covington, KYAugust 14, 2018
Management threatened by new ideas from newer employees. Efficiency very much discouraged with quantity of completed accurate work not listed as criteria on the job evaluation managers used.
Productive and fun place to work!
Tax Examiner (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 14, 2018
Management is fair and very informative to new hires and very patient. The culture is very inviting and people tend to keep to them selves. Very productive environment!
Pros
Great pay! Good benefits!
Cons
No cafeteria on site
Mediocre
Tax Examiner (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTAugust 14, 2018
No budget, difficult to do a job with no supplies to complete. Nice place to work unless you're looking for advancement. Benefits are good, morale is not.
great place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Holbrook, NYAugust 11, 2018
the IRS is a great place to work in my opinion. it is a government job so you get good benefits, yearly pay increases and there is a locality adjustment as well. the job itself can be stressful being a CSR. people do not play around when it comes to their taxes so its quite often that you get an earful from a disgruntled taxpayer. but your coworkers in the cubbys surrounding you make it all worth it! and even the positive phone calls make it worth it too. its not a very easy job either. thats why I think they can raise the pay. theres a TON of information to know. even where to begin researching for an answer takes some knowledge. they give you mostly all of the tools for success including a 12 week paid training class. not that it really helps once you're sitting at a desk answering real phone calls but, they try. I wish I didn't have to quit because I really did love it. but thats definitely not the popular opinion at the IRS.
No Loyalty to Employees
Administrative Professional (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJAugust 10, 2018
This Organization is governed by practices and policies of little professional growth; RIFs (Reduction In Force) seems to be the norm as well as total negativity.

You have to wait for someone to retire or die before a position becomes available and even then there's no guarantee that the position will become available or posted. Instead, a position will be split/divided/ downgraded and farmed out to other employees with very little increase in salary, if any, but a huge increase in responsibilities.
Pros
It's a Job - Not a Career
Cons
It's a Job - Not a Career
Co-Workers there for you.
Computer Operator (Data Entry) (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CA 93888August 9, 2018
I get to work and my co-workers are there to assist you by telling you what truck of work is to be completed first and when you need help with a question regarding confidential information, they are there for you.
Pros
Work schedules to fit your schedule
Cons
can get loud
Great experience
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAAugust 9, 2018
I was able to gain much experience in accounting by volunteering here. It was gratifying to be a help to the members of my community. It has enhanced my skills in accounting/business administration.
not difficult
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Covington, KYAugust 8, 2018
Sorting mail was fairly easy although there was intimidation by the nightly quality checks. Because there were no errors found with my work, I'm not sure what happens when there are. Working third shift, there were some people who literally slept on the job.
Pros
relaxed atmosphere
Tax examiner
TAX EXAMINING TECHNICIAN (SEASONAL) (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 7, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of reviewing/ verifying information and data entry. Management did a good job of communicating about work performance and future goals. The workplace environment is very friendly and everyone works as a team.
Good place to work, however change can come slowly.
Quality Assurance Lead, Scrum Master (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 7, 2018
As with most places, I enjoyed all the work I did, however change and integration with new methods came very slowly. Overall a good place to get experience in highly-regulated apps and data.
Productive and fast paced
Batching (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTAugust 6, 2018
Very friendly people and fast paced environment. Great place to work, pay is good and great benefits, opportunity to learn new areas and move up in the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Internal Revenue Service. Our community is ready to answer.

51.5K

Diversity score

69out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Internal Revenue Service.

Powered by Comparably