Internal Revenue Service Employee Reviews

Found 3,295 reviews matching the search See all 3,349 reviews
good job
Contact Representative (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 20, 2018
Its a great company to work for great benfits great time off great mangers great team , great location . easy phone calls easy to move around part of the union
Seasonal
Part-Time Tax Associate - H& R Block (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOOctober 18, 2018
The job as was seasonal and enjoyed working there according flexible timings and great team work.The H&R Block provided me with opportunity multi tasking in various areas from front desk to back office and prepare complicated returns.
Pros
Great Company to work for
Cons
Was seasonal job.
Management needs to be better
CLERK (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 18, 2018
The management needs to be better in some areas. I felt like some of the managers had no idea how to be maangers and they were just thrown into that position carelessly.
Pros
friendly coworkers
Cons
poor management
Over all ok
Accounting / Multi Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAOctober 16, 2018
Pay is OK, hard to advance, rates are too high to meet. Computers are not up to date, people / Co Workers act like there in high school. Hard to take vacation.
Pros
Cafe on site
Stable relaxed place.
Data Transcriber (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 16, 2018
Reviewed, analyzed and took appropriate actions as identified regarding tax payers’ information. Reviewed tax documents transcribed data from tax returns bringing them into compliance with the required format or initiate action to obtain or clarify information not otherwise available. Performed original entry, character identification and data validation functions. Achieved basic transcribing information.
Pros
Achieved basic information and language transactions for processing.
Cons
Did not like my hours.
Work is high paced and accuracy is high priority.
Full Time/Seasonal (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 16, 2018
My current position is challenging and the work is important. Associates are wonderful people and the management is good. However, my background is in Information Technology and there are little or no opportunities in this field at my current location.
Good volunteer experience
Volunteer Individual Tax Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAOctober 16, 2018
Simple work. Not a lot of work relative to the amount workers, so a lot of downtime. Gives insight into the world of tax. Some of the work can be intricate and time consuming.
Fun place to work
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 15, 2018
Working here gave a great opportunity to learn new things. I got to learn all aspects of facility management. The coworkers are really what kept me going they really care about success.
Group Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 12, 2018
The day would start out with receiving of the mail, sorting it out for the agents and pull files that correspond with the mail. Answering the phone and directing to proper individual or agents or manager. Schedule appointments with Clients. Schedule travel, computing monthly reports for each agent.
Pros
Independent worker
Cons
Fmla
Customer were unhappy
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 11, 2018
Take calls, fix problems, work mailed docs,group meetings, not allowed to put forth my ideas which would help department. I was lost in with crowd, work went unnoticed
Cons
Most work areas are at a steady pace. With some periods of down time.
File Clerk/Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 11, 2018
* a typical day. Find your work for that day, head for your desk, and get busy. You work at your own pace, but you are expected to complete a certain volume of work.

* You learn how to identify a variety of tax forms.

* Management can be tough at times. Based on the pressure upon them.

* The workplace culture can be diverse; which I feel is great.

* The hardest part of the job I feel sometimes is finding enough work to keep you busy.

* The most enjoyable part of the job is the people, You can make some good friends.
Pros
Lots of potluck lunches....
Cons
Managers can be a little too uptight at times.
Productive and fun
Tax Examiner (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 9, 2018
You need to be able to hold yourself as an individual and have the confidence to approach and deal with tense situations both externally and internally. Being organised and efficient is a must, as the position is fast-paced every day of the week. Something I also enjoy is the daily opportunity to communicate with the team in our huddles, where we discuss road blocks and quick wins, as well as take part in a fun game to boost energy in the morning.
Fun place to work.
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 8, 2018
Most recent position is as a volunteer in the IRS's VITA program. We provide free income tax service to low income individuals in the intercity of Milwaukee. The team work is great among the staff and helping the clients is quite enjoyable.
Career Worker
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC - Treasury DepartmentOctober 8, 2018
I am retired / from Department of Treasury, 11-03-12. I spent 35 years working for the Department of Treasury, I learned customer service in the IT Department as well as having a close relationship with high ranking officials within the Federal Government. A typical day consist of face to face as well as phone service in reference to upgrading computer as well as cell phone service. I enjoyed working in customer service, working with people in close contact is enjoyable.
Pros
one on one relationships
Cons
long periods in getting promoted
Good place to work great benefits
Customer Service Contact Representative (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 8, 2018
Nice place to work benefits were good. Schedules are flexible. just stay in your lane and mind your business and do what your suppose to do. overtime is the best.
Nice Place to Work
CLERK (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 7, 2018
Easy work for the pay. Training could be better. Enjoyed my coworkers. I'm not a big fan of the yearly furloughing process but it is still a great place to get started with the government.
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Lack of training
wasted 20 years!
Data Transcriber (Former Employee) –  Covington, KYOctober 5, 2018
Too many bad things to write! Don't waste your time! I worked there for 20 years and when they would hire new people, they were almost making more than me! I always volunteered to do extra and had 100% accuracy on almost everything I did and never got considered for any higher jobs! They played favorites a lot! Not to mention I had overpaid for health insurance and they said I owed over $3000. Very unorganized and your in the dark about everything.
Scare Tactics
Business Tax Examiner (BMF) (Former Employee) –  Covington, KYOctober 5, 2018
Good pay and benefits and hours, almost worth it if you can handle being threatened for your work before you've even done the job. They fear monger here a lot. Not much room for advancement if you aren't a social person.
Pros
benefits, some good people here and there, good pay and hours
Cons
Work is hard, rude taxpayers, not for the weak at heart, gossipy
:My Review
Tax Examiner (GS-09) (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CA, Fresno, CAOctober 5, 2018
Work for the IRS has it's challenges. There is always opportunities for advancement. Working day to day was usually a joy. I would recommend working for the IRS.
Fun workplace
Temporary Deposit Clerk GS (Former Employee) –  Austin texasOctober 4, 2018
Great working with so much money! Billions and Billions. Nice breaks . Nice to have overtime. The supervisor was a very professional individual. An open door policy.
Pros
Fast pace and meeting dead lines
Cons
Shiort breaks and lunch breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Internal Revenue Service. Our community is ready to answer.

51.5K

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight