Internal Revenue Service Employee Reviews

Found 3,562 reviews matching the search See all 3,622 reviews
A service that needs improvement
IRS Tax Appeals Officer (Current Employee) –  Diamond Bar, CAMarch 23, 2019
The service needs much improvement in that the written goal is to provide as much service to the public that will allow for voluntary compliance, but it is not completing this mission.

Instead, the organization primarily focuses on involuntary enforcement, versus education and resources to voluntarily comply and prevent future non-compliance.

Employee morale suffers from the lack of this focus.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
management
Incompetent management, serious discrimination issues
Senior Individual Taxpayer Advisory Specialist (Current Employee) –  USMarch 22, 2019
Incompetent management, serious discrimination issues.
There are many employees who produce nothing and management is unable to do anything about it.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Lacking ethics
people are great, advancement available
Tax Examing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA 19104March 21, 2019
a lot of time spent at desk doing data entry
answer customer correspondence
update taxpayor information according to correspondence
special projects such as fast track
advancement available
Pros
people and the job
Cons
commute into center city
no review indicated
title not needed (Former Employee) –  holtsville, NYMarch 20, 2019
I decline to write aq review as I have absolutely nothing nice to say. the manager was a horrible person who terrorized her people and got away with it
Seasonal
Manager/Tax instructor/Tax preparer (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCMarch 20, 2019
The position was with Liberty Tax Service. It was a very good experience. I enjoy working here, and the environment is great. I would recommend this to anyone.
Awesome
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 20, 2019
Working here boosted my confidence a lot and if I was to be called right now to come back I will be there with no issues. I really do miss being here.
HR Specialist
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 17, 2019
The time I spent working in the call site was a very demanding job. The management/union relationship was very good in most cases. The commute was terrible.
Secure but prone to agenda shifts
ALC Programmer (Former Employee) –  Lanham, MDMarch 17, 2019
Onboarding takes significant time due to heightened security concerns over the OPM breach. Job requirements are not clear at times. There are brilliant programmers and some with behavior problems that would not be tolerated in the private sector. There are some IRS employees who are accessible, and, then there are those who consider themselves above reproach...a form of apartheid if you will. You get to know the good people after awhile, just like anywhere else. The one thing I would suggest is that the IRS recruit more personnel from the private sector who have seen and done major conversions and projects and give them a voice in the modernizations to guide the processes. The IRS has tried conversion projects in the past only to have them fail. Outside/real world expertise could help in this area.
Pros
Security
Cons
Low starting pay, uncertainty of responsibilities, no office, no computer or system access
OK place to work
Functional Computer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 16, 2019
Very busy at tax time. worked as a computer person. Assisted in the setup for the tax season and also worked on spreadsheets and software updated for the general management of center.
Volunteer job
TCE Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Brockton, MAMarch 15, 2019
It takes place once per week on Saturdays starting around 9am to 1-1:30pm. I learn to work with the software to file tax for low-income individuals. It is pretty easy to use the software. The manager is very helpful and supporting. He gives answers to everything I have asked to learn of the whole process. I must pay attention to details so that I won't make any mistakes before submitting for the file to be reviewed by him.
Good government job
CASE ADVOCATE (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 14, 2019
Good government job with good benefits. I enjoy the work I do and see the impact it has on taxpayers. Excellent benefits package. My management is very supportive but that is not across the IRS.
If you have a good supervisor this could be a great place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chamblee, GAMarch 14, 2019
You get a promotion three years in a row, after that it's up to you if you go further. There is quite a bit of reading to do on this job to assist the customers.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
You have to learn as you go
Comfortable work environment
Full Time, Seasonal (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 14, 2019
The area I work in provides a comfortable work environment. I work nights, where there is no dress code, work is done at a computer (for me) and lunch and breaks are on your own time. You get two 15 minute paid breaks and a 30-minute lunch(unpaid). There is overtime available in some departments, as much as 44 hours available every week. Overtime work is very relaxed and you can come and go as you please. Maximum 12 hours a day can be worked (4 hours on top of a normal Mon-Fri shift, or 12 hours on a Saturday or Sunday). You can listen to music while you work in many departments.
Pros
Benefits, relaxed work environment, decent pay
Cons
Some departments don't have room for promotion, work is boring
A great place to grow a career
IT Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lanham, MDMarch 13, 2019
I worked in IT at the IRS for 32 years. I found my 32 years to be rewarding in many ways. My best years were the 9 years I spent in CyberSecurity. Also, the IRS has TELEWORK which is a great perk.

I joined the IRS in September, 1986 and I started as a COBOL programmer. From there my career grew by leaps and bounds for 32 years.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Subject to periodic budget related shutdowns
Steady place to work.
TAXPAYER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMarch 13, 2019
Good place to work. The commute was a little far so I car pooled. It was only a seasonal job so that's why I left and got a full time position that paid more.
Decent
Batching Clerk (Former Employee) –  Covington, KYMarch 11, 2019
If you intend to work hard and ignore the people that get away with not doing anything then you will do fine. Keep looking forward and crash through the obstacles.
Productive atmosphere
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 7, 2019
My day as an IRS employee was very simple and routine. I'd come in take my assignment and immediately get to it. I learned a lot of government policies when it comes to filing taxes. Management was very cordial and stern. Workplace culture kind of reminded me like high school but that's all cool I'm a workaholic. The hardest part of the job is when I had departure for I really did not want to leave. The most enjoyable part of the job was the cafeteria and the open space of the architecture building itself.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Security policies
Irs fun
Owner/Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 7, 2019
I loved working for the IRS. I enjoyed working with numbers. Informing people about the may deductions and benefits that they qualified for, I love helping people.
Pros
bonuses, cookout
seasonal position
Tax Examiner (Former Employee) –  KC MoMarch 7, 2019
Very busy position
Audited tax returns
Interesting position
Learned system and how taxes work
Management lacked enthusiasm
Worked night shift, which took time to get used to
Productive and fun place to work
Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  LAMarch 4, 2019
Excellent place to work and opportunity to grow. Provide tools for professional growth and colleagues are like family. I really recommend this organization for others.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Internal Revenue Service. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K
41.1K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP25%
In the Top 25% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Internal Revenue Service.

Powered by Comparably