Internal Revenue Service Employee Reviews

Training updates needed
Contact Representative (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 22, 2018
A complete revamping of their training material and ensure coaching is available for at least the first week out of class. I enjoyed learning the job.
Pros
Set work schedule and all major holidays off
Cons
repetiveness
Seasonal Clerk for peak season at the IRS
Clerk, Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CA 93727May 22, 2018
I was called to the IRS every year when it was tax season and when work was available for each unit in the IRS service center. Address changes needed to be made as soon as possible for taxpayers. I learned how to work as a team in a moderate paced environment and learned how to use some of the IRS computer systems. The people were great to work with and managers were open to allowing clerks to move around and learn new details about the position. Other duties were available to assist with and we were given the chance to work with the lead clerk.
Pros
administrative professionals day
Cons
The season lasted only a few months out of the year.
Enjoyed my job
Examining Technician (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 22, 2018
I have always enjoyed working for the Internal Revenue Service. It has its ups and downs just like any other corporate business. I have very few complaints and I consider them pretty normal for any work place with many different personalities under one roof.
Retired
Office Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 22, 2018
Change were done without employee wellbeing, Management was expected production and not quality, the, training was not enough and management should have had more people skills .
Pros
Friends
Cons
Management not having people skills
VITA Volunteer
Fremont Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAMay 21, 2018
Not sure why it says IRS, it's suppose to be Tax Filing Assistance Volunteer.

This was just a job learning experience for helping low household families file their taxes. It was meaningful and was great practice in understanding all you need to know about filing taxes.
Pros
Work at your pace
Cons
Families who had to pay extra taxes to IRS were not the most enjoyable people to deal with
Internal Revenue
Management and Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 21, 2018
The IRS can be a rewarding job, but there just isn't room for advancement in some positions. It can be very stressful due to the type of issues that have to be handled along with deadlines. It is challenging and can be very rewarding when you've helped someone, like an employee or taxpayer. I believe that was the good part about it, knowing that you've met the challenge or deadline, and helped someone along the way.
Pros
Holiday pay
Cons
Healthcare
Clerk (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 20, 2018
Very fun place to work. Everyone there were friendly and very cultural diversity. They are having party for every employees when the season is completely done for the year.
Very Productive Workplace
Contact Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 19, 2018
The Internal Revenue Service is great place to start out in the government as a customer service representative. The only thing that could be better is the process on appointing management. It doesn't seemed structured and the majority of managers are women which causes many unprofessional and unjust decision making.
Pros
Meeting New People
Cons
Poor Management
Very structured environment.
Contact Representative, Grade (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 18, 2018
You are on the phone 61/2 hrs a day. There is way to much information to learn it all. Management is micro-management.
There is a diverse environment. The best part is 2nd shift it is a little more relaxed.
Challenging, yet rewarding
Data Transcriber (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 18, 2018
I give many thanks to the IRS for the experience that I gained from my seasonal Data Transcription job there. It was because of the challenging culture of this job that I learned how to type correctly (using the home-row keys plus ten-key pad). I will admit that this work is not for everyone. It is fast-paced, there are deadlines and standards that MUST be met, and if they are not, you may lose your employment. But, the standards are not unreachable, and for me, that type of challenge is what I crave from a company that I work for. It allows me to make sure that I am always getting better at something, and the pressure makes the job enjoyable. This was a great experience for me: I learned a great deal about overcoming challenges in the workplace and how to push myself (in a healthy way) to succeed.
Pros
Fun, great benifits
Cons
Stressful
mail clerk
Mail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 17, 2018
love working here its a good environment. their always having potlucks making sure you as an employee are getting treating with respect time flys while working there
Good benefits and job stability
Tax Examiner (Current Employee) –  Austin, TX 78741May 17, 2018
Great place to work. Job is interesting and there is a lot of opportunity for advancement. Management works with you to enhance your career and are actually invested in it. It's a very stress free job. You work and go home, and forget about it.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Seasonal, but brought back each year automatically if you do your job.
Good
Revenue Agent (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZMay 17, 2018
Productive and great place to work, A lot of travel involved in my job.worked well with Management and others.A typical day included analyzing accounting records to evaluate internal controls and business operation systems.Reviewed financial statements prior to Audit to develop plans of action.
Pros
good working conditons
Cons
travel
United States Treasury Department - IRS
Audit Research Assistant - Secretary (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 16, 2018
Initially my employment with the IRS was an amazing experience. It was a challenging position and required me to draw on of all of my skills and work at my peek performance on a daily basis. No two days were ever the same. I had a wide range of responsibilities and was constantly training new managers and agents. We had an amazing "work family" who also enjoyed time together outside of the workplace. At the time of my departure, I was responsible for agents and managers working cases to the south of Portland, Salem, Eugene, Bend, Medford, Redding and Chico. In addition to these cities, I was often called from other states to assist with various projects. The cutbacks that are being dealt to the IRS are impeeding our ability to do the work that needs to be done for the public. When clerical or any support staff leave, their positions are not being back filled. Their work is simply redistributed to the remaining staff. When I started in 1988 we had over 24 admin/clerical support staff for the main offices in Oregon. The day I departed left the state of Oregon with 2. I was to doing the work of several people, receiving the pay of one. My reasons for leaving are personal.
Pros
great insurance plans, 208 hours vacation per year and 104 hours of sick leave, paid holidays, amazing co-workers
Cons
over abundance of work and not enough hours in the day to complete it all
Learned a lot
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 16, 2018
Working for the IRS was a great experience. The office has a relaxed environment with great leadership all around. Great opportunities to advance and excel.
Pros
Benefits, Vacation, Great leadership
Cons
Cubicals
Very Stressful
Tax Examining Technician/Data Transcriber (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 16, 2018
Very controlled environment. Managers are not cooperative and treat people with no fair judgement.
system will count each job worked so need to be fast correct and knowledgeable of your job.
Pros
flexiblity
Cons
stessfull
Opportunities to Advance
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Carrollton, MDMay 16, 2018
I started as a clerk-typist & was able to work my way up to a Configuration Management Analyst - IT Specialist. Hard works pays off. Most of us work from home which is the best part.
Pros
Advancement is possible
Cons
Sometimes it depends on who you know.
Productive with friendly co workers
Data Transcriber (Former Employee) –  Covington, KYMay 16, 2018
Great pay and benefits, Productive with friendly co workers, plenty of work for everyone. Only downside I was a seasonal worker and the place is closing down in 2019.
Intern
Data Entry (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 16, 2018
I had a great time working as an intern for the IRS. Great management and friendly environment. Overall I had an excellent experience and learned many valuable skills.
Low-key work environment
Management and Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDMay 15, 2018
The IRS is a place where you can advance only depending upon the position that you hold. Certain positions you are stuck at unless you leave and reapply.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Internal Revenue Service. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

69out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Internal Revenue Service.