Internal Security Associates Employee Reviews

bad
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 31, 2018
i dont like it hear because the managers usally hire security guards who are thugs within the company. Thier background check is a joke or they dont even do one before hiring the personal. THey are always desprate for you to work overtime all the time.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Great company for Military Vets and Retired Law Enforcement
Management Team (Current Employee) –  BostonAugust 6, 2018
Fast paced company with great management. Plenty of opportunity for advancement within company. Able to work as many hours as you want. Flexible hours, Day, mid or Overnight availible. Would recommend this company to any Military Vet or Retired Law Enforcement.
Pros
Hours, $$, Flexible
ok
Armed Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA 02109July 31, 2018
Lack of great leadership, The company have been losing most of their sites, because of the owner and higher up in the company. when you losing some of your main sites to Madison security. Something is wrong
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Perceived Management Problems
Armed Security Officer (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJuly 26, 2018
As security companies go, this one initially impressed me. The CEO and hiring manager I dealt with during the hiring process were both seemingly professional and worthy of some trust. I went through the entirety of their process, and throughout was promised a position at a particular location and shift. I made clear to the hiring manager this was a necessity for me, or else I would not be interested in a position with them and we wouldn't be wasting each other's time. I was assured that this presented no problem at all, and so continued with their hiring process.

After a lengthy process, I made it to the final hiring interview with the CEO, with the hiring manager present. But in literally the closing minute of my interview with the CEO, he said the precise opposite of what I had been told was a guaranteed location assignment. The CEO said - bristled actually - that I would be required to work wherever and whenever they so deemed, and it would happen a lot. He acted dismissively toward me, as though offended that I might ever think otherwise. Please note that moving between multiple assignments is not unusual in a security job, and for many people is a plus, but I had gone through their process only because I was assured of a particular location assignment, and the hiring manager was well aware of this.

As an aside, but still possibly indicative of a management problem within the organization, during this meeting the hiring manager literally raised his hand and sheepishly asked the CEO if he could leave the room, like a schoolboy might ask a teacher. I was profoundly unimpressed
  more... by this display and lack of communication between the CEO's vision of his company, and that of this manager. Further, I was unimpressed with the CEO's negative demeanor toward me, even though his enmity should more properly have been directed to his subordinate for making false promises. Even with all that, they did still make a hiring offer, but not surprisingly I politely withdrew my candidacy.

To be fair, I never actually worked for them, and up until the point of the CEO meeting, they seemed impressive (again, grading on the security job scale), but it is something to keep in mind as you go through their hiring process. The promises of the hiring manager might not represent the reality of their expectations and demands in the field.
Pros
LEO Experienced CEO and some staff
Cons
False promises during hiring process
Fast paced work environment and very military friendly
Security Supervisor (Sergeant) (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 26, 2018
Coming out of the military ISA was a terrific company with helping me transition back to the civilian life. The management was very understanding of my VA appointments and so on. Great co-workers that help your day go by fast. The pay is a lot better than other security companies and there is plenty of overtime if needed.
Pros
Flexible schedules, overtime, management
ISA is a wonderful opportunity
FORCE PROTECTION OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 14, 2018
My team and I at ISA do a remarkable job at securing our sites as we look to build lasting relationships with all of our clients with our sterling reputation.
fast paced
Officer (Current Employee) –  Downtown BostonDecember 6, 2017
If you show up in uniform on time, clean shaven and in uniform half your day is done. Good room for advancement. Pay is good. Plenty of overtime opportunities.
Pros
Good place to advance to Law Enforceemt
Easy, slow moving
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 20, 2017
Was a very good experience, worked at a building with a lot of great employees, who were very good at welcoming me onto the team. hardest part of the job is the slow boring parts of the day.
Good job for vets
Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 16, 2017
This is a good company if you want a job and actually have work ethic. If you just want to sit and do nothing and not put in any work then you need to look elsewhere.
Pros
Overtime available
Cons
Limited parking
Brotherhood, fast paced, daily changes
Force Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 14, 2017
A typical day with ISA begins with adjusting your uniform including a duty belt and weapon. You'll learn how to read people by interaction. The management have promoted up through the ranks, Your location can change depending on the need of each location. The hardest part of the job will be on your feet anywhere from 8-12 hours per day. The friendships you'll build with your co-workers will carry on for many years.
Pros
Strong relationships built with co-workers. constant learning potential
Cons
On your feet for long periods of time
Pay is a little to low for responsibility
Armed Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Milford, MANovember 12, 2016
Pay is a little low for responsibility you take on. A an armed officer you would be in charge of securing major facilities for less than 20 and hour. Sharing a firearm is a hassle better pay would b great
Pros
Close to home
Cons
low pay
a good company to work for
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 19, 2016
a good job, a great area boss, flex when need days off, great co-workers (team). its fun to go to work every day due to every day is different, you are not micro managed.
Pros
pay
Cons
travel
Absolutely no management.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsAugust 23, 2016
Absolutely no management. No one running the company has any clue what they are doing. They can't keep any decent employees because no one wants to stay and work for this company. They over work you, force you to work over time, won't approve any time off. If you're sick they threaten you to come to work or you'll be let go. The guys you work with on the ground level are mostly good guys. A lot of vets and retired law enforcement but that only keeps you happy for a short time. Most guys only last a few months before they realize how horrible of a company it truly is. You'll probably lose money with the amount of traveling and driving they force you to do. Stay away. Don't waste your time.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Every single thing involving the company.
Great job for aspiring Law Enforcement
Security Officer (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 9, 2016
I've worked for ISA for 6 months and everything so far is going great. It is a fun and diverse work environment, and there is plenty of room for advancing. The communication between the upper management and site staff is very good, which makes the job easier on everyone. The hours are relatively flexible and there is almost always opportunity for over time.
Pros
Room for advancing, job security, flexible hours, Veteran friendly
Cons
no facial hair, might not have a set schedule right away
Good place to work & advance your career
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 9, 2016
I am a current employee at the company and have been working here for a 1.5 years. I personally am satisfied with the company. I have stayed with this company because they offer good hours, plenty of overtime if you are willing to work, & offers room to advance if you are doing your job well. It's an easy job to perform as long as you can be attentive, thorough, & courteous. Other great opportunities to build your résumé by working in state buildings, private details, & the Boston Marathon. All great experience & opportunities for anyone who can perform well with patrons & site visitors. The only way to be disappointed in your employment experience, would be if you come to work with a poor attitude.
Pros
Great coworkers & management. Great opportunities & room for advancement. Sites are T-accessible.
Cons
Might not have set schedule at start of employment. No facial hair.
Great company with long term potential
Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 9, 2016
This is a very good company to work for and it blows other security companies out of the water, both when it comes to employee relations and pay scales. If you do well in your position then you will actually have potential to move up which is rare in private security.

There are sites that are 24/7 so there is flexibility with shifts and most of them are T accessible.

Management is great and you will always feel like someone has your back if you have an issue at work.
Pros
Paid time off/paid sick leave
Great job to build experience.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 8, 2016
I started working with ISA just over 3 years ago. I had nothing but good impressions going in and it only got better. I was promoted very quickly and was given lots of overtime opportunity. It was a little hectic at first, a little bit of bouncing around before getting settled into a set schedule. Shortly after getting my schedule squared away, I was promoted to a SGT/ shift supervisor. Once my LTC came in, the company promoted me to an armed officer, also came with a pay bump. I finally settled into a position working at a private organization, Mon-Fri. with guaranteed overtime. I did that for just over 2 years before being brought up into Management. Its a great place for Veteran who are transitioning into the civilian population, as was the case for me. Pay is better than other security companies, and all sites are either MBTA accessible or parking will be provided, if not, usually get reimbursed for parking expenses.
Pros
Veteran preferred, very flexible scheduleing, better starting pay than other security companies.
Cons
Starting out, may have some bouncing around, no facial hair, some sites may not have parking but everything is T accessible
Great Company
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 5, 2016
Great company to work for! Great potential for advancement if your a go getter. Good hours and opportunity for overtime. Management does a great job of taking care of their personnel. As a retired Military professional, I can say that this company is professional and takes care of those who are professional as well.
Pros
Management, Hours, Sites and Pay
Professional Company
security officer (Current Employee) –  Monson, MAJanuary 4, 2016
Very good company to work for… Retired cop, working P/T in Monson for the past several months; I would say that they are a good company. The supervisors are top-notch, and the office people were VERY professional when I dealt with them. I was interviewed by the CEO, and he was very honest about the job site and the work.

They may have a high turn-over rate, but I wouldn’t blame the company for that. In this line of work, you have to be strict, and run a tight ship; that means terminating people who screw-up. If a company like ISA did anything differently, I wouldn’t have much faith in them.

What ISA does is give you an opportunity to work. You’re not digging ditches, so the job isn’t going to kill you, all they ask is that you show up on time, be observant, and follow directions. In other words, put your Big Boy pants on, and do what you’re being paid to do.

I see a lot of negative reviews on this site, but I think you have to consider the source; security companies are not police departments. If you’re looking for a cop job, take the test, but I can tell you from experience, if you can’t handle the strict discipline of a company like ISA – good luck at the police academy; it will be the hardest 15 minutes of your life.
Pros
Plenty of work, good supervisors
Company is bad
SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 26, 2015
Other than meeting great contacts at your locations, pay is bad, no raises,poor management.People of color are not allowed to work at some locations.Their expectations are so high.You need to have a military or police background but yet veterans are treated like a joke.They can fire you whenever they want and they don't have a union by the way.
Pros
Meeting great people at your locations
Cons
No raised, Forced overtime, Poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Internal Security Associates. Our community is ready to answer.

Internal Security Associates Reviews by Location