International Paper Employee Reviews

Found 1,735 reviews matching the search See all 2,085 reviews
Great experience working with different people from different lifestyles
OPERATING TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Eastover, SCJanuary 20, 2019
The pay is great a great place to meet new friends to learn a new jobmanagement needs to learn how to treat people of different race ethnic background better
Stressful production
Utilities Worker (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 19, 2019
It could be great, but the people make it bad, having the right management always works great for a company but that's hard to find. This job will keep you away from your family, so it's up to you. You will get your bills paid though.
Pros
Pay hours
Cons
Micro managers, managers, old folks stuck in there old ways
Good Job
Shipping planner (Former Employee) –  Streetsboro, OHJanuary 17, 2019
I work there 22 years and would still be if not for the time clock policy miss four punches in a year and your gone. I love my job there I liked the people that I worked with and the company takes care of the employees. It is fast paced and there is overtime almost every week.
Pros
Good People, good pay
Cons
Bad time clock policy, no paid sick leave
good job
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 15, 2019
its very hot , you are standing for very long periods of time so make sure you wear comfortable clothing , the packing jb is very easy you pack displays for different companies
It's a job
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Griffin, GAJanuary 14, 2019
International Paper as far as working on the Production Floor is a job. I wouldn't say it's a solid "career" move. The hours were long, the pay decent and the benefits good. Health insurance costs started going up my final couple of years there. Not really the place you want to work at if you have a family and want to spend the weekends with them.
Lots of overtime! 6-7 day work weeks with no end in sight
Hourly Associate (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIJanuary 14, 2019
The pay and benefits for hourly employees is amazing, but the excitement of the pay and benefits wears off quickly as the 6 and 7 day work weeks drag on with no end in sight. As a probationary employee you will most likely work 12 hour days for the majority of your first 90 days of employment. There is very little room for advancement or for raises. You wont be left with much time to further your education and the supervisory/management positions are few. Being a union plant all wages are within about $1 of each other, ranging from $21-22 an hour. Great place to work if you want steady income, but your work/life balance will suffer. Management seems to be trying to fix the issues, but either their hands are tied from above or they just have no idea how to fix the problem. Due to the high turn over, lack of maintenance on equipment and poor production scheduling/ over scheduling it seems this place will continue to work its employees until they quit. Most of the employees are great to work with, but are burnt out and frustrated with a great majority seeking employment elsewhere. This place also lacks proper training and guidance. Nothing is written down! You learn and will have to remember almost everything by doing it. Take a notebook and ask a lot of questions! Lots of experienced people there, but a lot have chosen to step down because the extra few cents they were making wasn't worth the hassle to them.
Pros
salary and benefits is decent
Cons
overtime with no end in sight, broken equipment, burnt-out employees
Temporary Work
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Jay, MEJanuary 14, 2019
I worked 3 years as temporary help at International Paper, my duties included fork truck operator, groundwood chipping, flash dryer pushing pulp to the paper machines.
N/a
MACHINE OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Camarillo, CAJanuary 12, 2019
Working at international paper has its ups and downs the union employees are very strong and stick together. And managements people skills are just very poor and lack common sense, because of their position they feel the need to belittle a lot of the members as if there their job title makes them better then the union employees
Pros
Union
Cons
Management skills poor
Great company to work for
Marketing Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 11, 2019
I worked in the White Papers Group. It was a terrific learning experience. I had a phenomenal manager from whom I learned a lot. The company treated the employees well. Good compensation and benefits. BEautiful working environment.
Pros
Great growth opportunities
Cons
Moved to Memphis
Leadsman/ machine operator (Former Employee) –  Saint Anthony, INJanuary 9, 2019
typical work day- worked 6am to 2pm
I learned how to package and ship items
management lacked leadership abilities
the workplace culture was friendly, helpful and productive
hardest part of the job was keeping up with outgoing orders.
most enjoyable part of the job was my coworker after a while we were like family
Pros
paid lunch breaks
Cons
hired temps
It would be better if i had more hours and benefits.
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 8, 2019
Overall my time at this job was very good! I learned how to improve my packing skills and organization. The work is enjoyable and fast paced but the high turnover rate is a concern.
Pros
Fast- paced and easy work
Cons
Short breaks and lunches get stolen
great pay
Millwright/ Boilermaker helper/ Firewatch (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAJanuary 8, 2019
Contracted work through Condustrial . worked night shift and with them from place to place. Workers were great to work with. Firewatch/ Millwright helper. Assisisted Millwright and welders on varios jobs that need to be done. kept work area cleaned and oraganized. Watch for safty
Pros
relaxing
Professional Workplace
Supply Planner (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 8, 2019
The world corporate headquarters in Memphis, TN is an excellent place to work where you can feel challenged but supported everyday. There is a lot of upper Management visibility and collaboration which was very refreshing.
Pros
Professional Business Environment
Cons
Large corporate decision making speed
Machine operator
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TNJanuary 7, 2019
If you want to work your life away for a manufacture who allows the site manager to treat you like dirt this place is for you. Most supervisors are ok it's the upper management that wants to treat you like dirt. They want to break the union contract when ever the wind blows with no reguard to what they agreed on. Your basically a puppet. Slot of promises but is you want to be advanced don't count on the false promises. Alit of people in Clveveland,Tn. Are looking for other employment due to the management. If not for the employees this plant would have been shut down along time ago. Management does nothing to help the hourly employee. They get their bonus employees get nothing!
Pros
Good people on production floor
Cons
Upper Management
Why is this place still open?
Employee (Current Employee) –  MissouriJanuary 7, 2019
There is no teamwork or safety culture. Other plants? YES. Mine? NO. Management only wants to write you up or fire you. There is no positive re-enforcement, no advancement opportunities, no training to better yourself, no communication about safety incidents or staff changes. Everything is top secret here.

If someone calls in sick, you MUST stay 4 hours late. There are 0 paid sick days. It takes TWO months of perfect attendance to recoup that ONE day you called in. HR messes up people's attendance points constantly so you have to be on top of that.

My coworkers don't care about their jobs or the company. Safety is NOT #1...discipline is #1. We are consistently at the bottom for all categories for a reason but management refuses to look into ways to improve.

Vacation rules are too strict, too. There are employees here that could better the facility but their potential is not tapped into. Guys that have been here 30 years are saying they've wasted their time being here. That's sad.
Pros
I have some vacation days to get away from here. Otherwise, None!
Cons
Can only break up 1 week of vacation. It's my vacation so let me use it how I want.
Just dont go.
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Plant City, FLJanuary 7, 2019
They pay awesome. That's it. once you start and have been their they have the I OWN YOU attitude. save yourself the hassle make your family first not them. They will make you stay over and work weekends. good luck getting a holiday off also.
Pros
money
Cons
everything else
Overworked/Extreme Heat during Summer Months
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Tolleson, AZJanuary 6, 2019
Be prepared to work 12 hours shifts, 6/13 day work weeks with only one day off in between all year long. The pay is decent, but at a huge sacrifice of family time. The summer months are extremely hot, comparable to that of a hot car or garage during the extreme heat. Hourly employees are treated like second class citizens. Being a non union plant, management abuses their authority using intimidation and scare tactics to motivate.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Long Hours, Working on your days off, Extreme heat
Decent place to work
Assisstant Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Austin, MNJanuary 5, 2019
Not a bad place to work. Basically every job is fairly simple and you receive ample training. Pay is very nice. Only downfall is it's seniority based so plan on waiting years to make it to 1st shift.
Productive workplace
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Auburndale, FLJanuary 4, 2019
The company is felony friendly and gave me an opportunity to learn to operate a forklift. The hiring process was very professional and easy and they were also Union based which was new to me. Only downside was the mandatory rotation of the shifts.
Pros
Training on site
Cons
Shift rotation weekly
Work here if you hate yourself!
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 4, 2019
Come here to work if you don't like yourself or you just don't want personal time. We work constantly, 12 hr shifts 6-7 days a week. There is no chance of advancement here. They will talk to you and treat you like a piece of dog poo. Previous plant manager said how management views the employees, "I could fire any employee, and replace them with a monkey who could do the job better. You all are doing monkeys work." This place don't care how they treat you. Be warned, steer clear.
Pros
Ha, none
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at International Paper. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP40%
In the Top 40% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at International Paper.

Powered by Comparably