International Paper Culture reviews

Found 290 reviews matching the search See all 2,179 reviews
No room for advancment
Business Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 16, 2019
Management and culutre of IP is terrible. No work-life balance. Management doesn't help develop you. Meeting are back to back, which causes you to get behind on your work.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Management & culture
They start slow then descend into bootcamp. A physically and mentally demanding place.
Mechatronics Engineer (Former Employee) –  Manson, NC 27553April 15, 2019
One must read between the lines to work here. The stated policy is not the real work policy. Politics and lack of organization rule the day. Dedication to the company over one's family is a requirement. There are no sick days.Miss 8 days in a year and there is an automatic dismissal. There is a lack of readily available specifications on the machinery. This is an unsafe work environment. The heat exceeds 100 degrees on a regular basis with extremely low air quality. This is the nastiest food grade factory I've ever seen. There are spiders and webs everywhere. I have moved on while I still have my health.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Too long to list
Productive and fun work place
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 1, 2019
Nice to work at, love working around people/with people, clean area to work and very nice environment to work at and around. Nothing to complain about
Pros
Good job to work at
Cons
Short breaks
A very large organization with excelent strategic vision that values its employees.
Manager Business Analysis (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 1, 2019
The corporate culture was one that valued input from its employees and encouraged growth and development of the individual. It was a fast pace work environment but there were many opportunities to contribute at all levels.
General Labor (Former Employee) –  Munster, INMarch 16, 2019
Excellent place to work at , it wasn’t hard at all . Great people to work with always got along with everyone . There was always something to do pretty fun job .
Lifetime career
HR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Campti, LAMarch 3, 2019
I worked for IP for 36 years and there are not a lot of people now that can say they worked for a company that long. I spent the majority of my day dealing with HR issues with respect to employee issues, entering information in SAP (raises, leaves of absence, recruitment opportunities and supporting the HR Manager and Generalist as needed in their duties. I learned a lot about helping employees being available to them when they couldn't get help anywhere else. I felt management was fair and upheld the IP ethics and culture, while providing a safe work environment. The hardest part of my job for the last 5 years while at Campti was the hour long drive from Shreveport and that is the reason I retired. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people. I became good friends with a lot of my co-workers and miss being there with them a great deal.
Pros
Good pay, work hours, stability
Cons
Advancement ability from salaried non-exempt to salaried exempt
Fooled me
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Current Employee) –  Olympia WAFebruary 22, 2019
The culture is very selfish, Management is out for themselves and do nothing but point the finger and blame those of us who bust our rumps to be successful.
The current management is even worse then the prior.
The top four managers have no clue on how to run a plant or how to lead their folks to be successful.
If your not part of the cool kids you will not move up at all.
It’s disheartening to watch a cool kid fail at their position and get promoted to a higher position that they are not qualified for according to the job description, knowing that your well qualified for that job but not even considered.
Plate maker/Mounter (Former Employee) –  Tucker, GAFebruary 16, 2019
Good place to work, friendly team members.. If you need to advance in a tranning is provided, safety first then production.. Yearly traing is a must..
Good Company
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 15, 2019
Good company with many opportunities available in operations or support functions. Industry focuses on process improvements and cost savings in order to remain competitive.
OPERATOR ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WAFebruary 8, 2019
Good place to work but, really repetitive. the lowest you can start off making was 17.50 for the bulk line that's the hardest part in my opinion. The bulk line also requires a lot of team work for a lot of the different boxes. There was also another hard part of the job and that requires a lot of communication.
Cons
Politics
fun
Receiver/ Stacker (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 1, 2019
i enjoyed working with this company
friendly environment
people are great
the managers are awesome and greets you as you walk in
i would work here again
Descent Place To Work
Corrugator Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Statesville, NCJanuary 23, 2019
I worked here for a while and it was challenging but I never actually said I hated my job. A lot of work was put in for an older machines and we got a lot done. I left here to work with another. You do work some long hours but they go by. Guys will work with you though. Good culture and didn't have to walk on egg shells. Was allowed to make your own decisions and grow and learn as a leader. When you would fall you may take some heat from time to time but would learn something in the end. This place was a huge in my development as a leader and knowledge of the industry.
Pros
Good culture
Cons
Some long hours. Overall nothing terrible
Great experience working with different people from different lifestyles
OPERATING TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Eastover, SCJanuary 20, 2019
The pay is great a great place to meet new friends to learn a new jobmanagement needs to learn how to treat people of different race ethnic background better
Great culture
IT Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 15, 2019
Management cares about employees and takes the time out of their day to help advance your career if that is what you want. Each employee owns their own career! Absolutely love the culture at the corporate headquarters in Memphis and would recommend working here to anyone willing to put in the hard work. It will be rewarded. The retirement benefits are good but other benefits are average (vacation, insurance, etc.)
Pros
culture, employer cares about you
Cons
healthcare expensive
Leadsman/ machine operator (Former Employee) –  Saint Anthony, INJanuary 9, 2019
typical work day- worked 6am to 2pm
I learned how to package and ship items
management lacked leadership abilities
the workplace culture was friendly, helpful and productive
hardest part of the job was keeping up with outgoing orders.
most enjoyable part of the job was my coworker after a while we were like family
Pros
paid lunch breaks
Cons
hired temps
Why is this place still open?
Employee (Current Employee) –  MissouriJanuary 7, 2019
There is no teamwork or safety culture. Other plants? YES. Mine? NO. Management only wants to write you up or fire you. There is no positive re-enforcement, no advancement opportunities, no training to better yourself, no communication about safety incidents or staff changes. Everything is top secret here.

If someone calls in sick, you MUST stay 4 hours late. There are 0 paid sick days. It takes TWO months of perfect attendance to recoup that ONE day you called in. HR messes up people's attendance points constantly so you have to be on top of that.

My coworkers don't care about their jobs or the company. Safety is NOT #1...discipline is #1. We are consistently at the bottom for all categories for a reason but management refuses to look into ways to improve.

Vacation rules are too strict, too. There are employees here that could better the facility but their potential is not tapped into. Guys that have been here 30 years are saying they've wasted their time being here. That's sad.
Pros
I have some vacation days to get away from here. Otherwise, None!
Cons
Can only break up 1 week of vacation. It's my vacation so let me use it how I want.
Great Career
Process Operator- Finishing Department (Former Employee) –  Ticonderoga, NYJanuary 2, 2019
If you want to be self sufficient, this is the place for you. Loved working there, the challanges and people but not the shift work or working on Holidays.
Great fast paced relaxed place to work
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Courtland, ALDecember 31, 2018
This was a great job everyone worked together to achieve our goal when something happened to the machine everyone stepped to help get it back right this is one job I truly miss
fastpace
Maintenance Supervisor/Planner (Current Employee) –  Streetsboro, OHDecember 30, 2018
a typical day at IP is listening to how much the Maintenance Department fails

what i learned at IP is they preach safety is #1 but production is.

management = good ole boys club

work place culture, hard working

the hardest part of the job is knowing the people on the floor come ready to work and expect 40 hours a week. when the corrugate runs terrible and no board on the floor to convert into boxes, they are sent home... to protect their precious run rate.

the most enjoyable part of the job? knowing that our workers go home safely to their families at the end of the day...
Pros
Cons
don't hold people accountable.
Large corporate environment that acquired Champion Int'l
OD/Human Resources Associate (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTDecember 30, 2018
International Paper took over Champion when I was working there. I had a chance to stay on, but the culture was so different. Little focus on people development.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at International Paper. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at International Paper.

Powered by Comparably