International Rescue Committee Employee Reviews

Rewarding Place to Work
Resettlement Intern (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 12, 2018
As Resettlement Intern, the work environment at the organization was very fast-paced and dynamic as we were providing direct services to newly arrived refugees. Rewarding place to work however management could improve.
Relaxed but slow place to work.
Cultural Orientation Trainer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 12, 2018
I was a volunteer at IRC the manager i was working with was really nice and understanding but overall as the workplace they still need some changes as it is kind of a slow place with alot of Afghani people in workforce rather than a diverse group.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Productive work place
AmeriCorps Vista Employment Associate (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 9, 2018
a friendly environment people are willing to help one another and the way they receive their clients is warmly it does make it a place where you feel safe.
Pros
a good environment
Cons
Less pay
Passionate people with an impossible mission
Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2018
The International Rescue Committee touches the lives of 26 million refugees with only a $1 billion budget...they're punching way above their weight. It's a fast paced, chaotic, very lean organization and the work can be a bit brutal at times. If you believe in the work and the mission, the fast pace and less than average pay can still be incredibly rewarding.

Don't expect a normal company environment. The place has been underfunded and in chaos crisis management mode for 70 years. It's what the IRC is. You go to work there because you want to make a difference, not because you're looking for a well organized and gentle work environment. The IRC will punch you right in the face then in the nicest, kindest way say, "I'm so sorry, I didn't see you there, you're important to me" then .653 seconds later be right back to work.
Pros
Meaning in work...you're not working for more twats trying to get rich, you're actually in a very real way changing the lives of real people in real need.
Cons
Chaos, brutal work pace, under pay, relatively thankless, compassion burn out.
Meaningful work
Medical case management intern (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 22, 2018
The IRC is a great place for anyone with a passion for helping their fellow humans. The teams and individuals work collaboratively together, and the reward of assisting refugees successfully resettle is wonderful.
teacher
VESL Computer Class Instructor (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAOctober 14, 2018
refugee
applications
find jobs
contact employers
travel to different locations to help refugee with their needs
computer classes to help them with
Discrimination, Supervisor who is a Social worker has his favorites
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2018
New York office: If you are Tibetan then apply for an internship or job. The Supervisor is biased with Tibetans. He has his favorites. For a company like IRC, I didn't expect that discrimination would exist as in each and every orientation they talk about how great the company is and how nice they are with people from other countries.
A good learning environment
Economic Empowerment Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 9, 2018
International Rescue Committee is a good learning environment. Managers are willing to teach and help out when I need their support. It has a diverse culture.
Great!
Grants Coordinator (Current Employee) –  South SudanOctober 5, 2018
Great place to work and good company culture. The work is meaningful and purpose driven. I am happy to have had the opportunity to work there as long as I did.
Example: Productive and fun workplace with ping pong tab
Qualified Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDSeptember 28, 2018
I do not think the HR officer ,wants to hire the one she ,she wants ,experience and talent is not important for her ,It is important that who she knows
Interpreter
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VASeptember 21, 2018
Working there was beneficiary for me, I gain lot of knowledge about different culture and I helped many refugees to settle down and interact with other resources
Pros
no pros
Cons
nice staff
Economic Empowerment Intern
Economic Empowerment Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 10, 2018
Maryland office. Loved my workplace, great coworkers and clients. Best job I've had, not always easy but was always worth it. Supportive non judgmental environment
Great Place
Casework assistant and Employment Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CASeptember 4, 2018
International Rescue Committee is a great place to work for. Although I was an intern, everyone treated me very well and it was definitely a pleasure to be apart of such a great group of people and the work was fulfilling.
Classroom Volunteer/ Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJAugust 27, 2018
It was a great experience volunteering for the international Rescue committee. Volunteering and working with the kids was so much fun. The Volunteering manager organize the program very well.
Pros
great place
Cons
great place
love with team work
Front Desk and Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 23, 2018
i love to work with team, solve other problems, be patient with staff and people are coming to our office, helping other is my hope, i will continue it.
Fun and Knowledgeable Place to Work
Refugee Resettlement Intern (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 23, 2018
Learn a lot from different people of diverse background. The IRC will help broaden your perspective the world. Helping people and putting a genuine smile on their face is the best feeling there is.
Poor intern experience
Case Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 16, 2018
It’s great if you’re looking to gain experience but don’t expect to snag a permanent position. Ideally they look to have long term interns who are content with working for free. I loved working with the families and etc but I couldn’t afford to work for free indefinitely.
great
Intern (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 7, 2018
I learned that helping new arrival refugee immigrants was something new to me and same time passionated and amazing experience to be proud of and very most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
free lunches
Cons
30 minutes break
Ambiente cercano y familiar.
Intern/Civics Instructor (Former Employee) –  Miami, Florida.August 5, 2018
Hubo un gran aprendizaje y conexión sobretodo con los residentes y refugiados que trabajaron a nuestro lado.
I was incharge of the Sanitation Implementation
Sanitation Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  LiraJuly 27, 2018
I enjoyed working with the team because it made me learn a lot in the water supply and hygiene promotion.
I was trained in many soft ware methodologies like PHAST, PHASE, Child to Child and M&E
Pros
Team Work
Cons
Ridding the motorcycle to the field

Ask a question about working or interviewing at International Rescue Committee. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight