International Rescue Committee Employee Reviews

lots of internships, not as much hiring on interns
Immigration Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 19, 2019
Good experience helping people in need. Dedicated staff and interns. Pleasant work environment. Company relies on interns about as much as paid staff-- and would not operate successfully without intern support. Given that, believe interns should at least get some kind of a weekly/monthly stipend for their help. Had been with much smaller non-profit that did that.
Awesome
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDApril 17, 2019
I did my internship here and got hired on when I graduated from boise state university. I enjoyed working with people from all around the world and learning about different cultures and lifestyles.
Caring and professional staff
Tax Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 31, 2019
IRC is a very well run organization that deeply cares for the well-being of refugees around the world and disadvantage individuals here at home. Excellent place to work with excellent employees and managers.
Lots of vitality and people dedicated to immigrants
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 22, 2019
Great bunch of professionals highly dedicated to their work. Standards are very high for hiring and for working. Only the best need apply! Although like most nonprofits the office is crowded and untidy, the spirit shared by the team is invaluable. My favorite workplace in 40 years of work!
Pros
Feel good atmosphere working for a cause.
Cons
Turnover and disorganization.
Very friendly and good working environment
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  AZMarch 19, 2019
A place where your opinion is heard and management cares for the staff's thoughts and ideas. There are great benefits at the International Rescue Committee.
Pros
Great work environment, friendly, flexible, diverse, great benefits, face pace work.
Cons
non-profit, dependent on government funds.
production
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT INTERN (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 7, 2019
There was one of the best places to work and I enjoy most of the time. I wish I can be in such an environment every day. but I understand the up and down of any workplace
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Internship
Employment Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 6, 2019
Really good place to volunteer for college students. You will get basic office experience and meet a lot of really interesting people as well. Would recommend the internship program
Very Cultural Diverse
Internship (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 4, 2019
My very first internship with this non-profit company has been so far amazing. I get to know many people from others school and make friend with them. The work I did is learning to produce an organic plants and vegetable. I was taught to keep my surrounding cleans and also I learn to sell to customers.
Pros
Lots of Friends
Cons
Food not provided
Unpaid Intern
Casework Intern (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJanuary 23, 2019
I was an unpaid intern with the IRC, but I really appreciated the hands-on experience and learning opportunities. I got to work with resilient, inspiring clients and staff while serving refugees in my community.
Great infrastructure.
Infrastructure Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2019
Great tools. Great local people. Questionable international agency relationships that decide to threaten security to get ahead. All else was good from a technical level. Best bike room on the planet.
Great mission if only they could pay a decent living wage.
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 13, 2019
The work here is for a great cause. The people helped by this charitable organization could not be better treated. I would have stayed with this organization if only they could pay me a decent salary. If that were the case, I would go back to working here in a heartbeat.
Pros
Working for a worthy cause
Cons
Lack of budget to pay a living wage
Very committed working staff
LEARNING COACH (Former Employee) –  SIERRA LEONEDecember 26, 2018
Nice to work here. It was nice working at irc. Impressed at the determination of staff especially during the ebola outbreak to save lives the lives of ebola patients.
If you have a heart, you'd work here
Liaison (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 20, 2018
One needs to have the biggest heart to work here. The cause is noble and they have the smartest and most dedicated staff. The President is amazing and I applaud the many who give so much to keep the programs alive. However, as a contract/temporary staffer -- you are just that and the culture often times leaves you behind.
Great Mission, Good Workplace
Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VADecember 18, 2018
The mission of the IRC is the number one reason I work here. Any workplace has its drawbacks and any job has its frustrations, but at the end of the day, I feel I am paid fairly for the work I do, and I feel like I am making a difference.
Pros
mission, culture, coworkers, benefits
Rewarding Place to Work
Resettlement Intern (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 12, 2018
As Resettlement Intern, the work environment at the organization was very fast-paced and dynamic as we were providing direct services to newly arrived refugees. Rewarding place to work however management could improve.
Relaxed but slow place to work.
Cultural Orientation Trainer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 12, 2018
I was a volunteer at IRC the manager i was working with was really nice and understanding but overall as the workplace they still need some changes as it is kind of a slow place with alot of Afghani people in workforce rather than a diverse group.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Productive work place
AmeriCorps Vista Employment Associate (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 9, 2018
a friendly environment people are willing to help one another and the way they receive their clients is warmly it does make it a place where you feel safe.
Pros
a good environment
Cons
Less pay
Passionate people with an impossible mission
Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2018
The International Rescue Committee touches the lives of 26 million refugees with only a $1 billion budget...they're punching way above their weight. It's a fast paced, chaotic, very lean organization and the work can be a bit brutal at times. If you believe in the work and the mission, the fast pace and less than average pay can still be incredibly rewarding.

Don't expect a normal company environment. The place has been underfunded and in chaos crisis management mode for 70 years. It's what the IRC is. You go to work there because you want to make a difference, not because you're looking for a well organized and gentle work environment. The IRC will punch you right in the face then in the nicest, kindest way say, "I'm so sorry, I didn't see you there, you're important to me" then .653 seconds later be right back to work.
Pros
Meaning in work...you're not working for more twats trying to get rich, you're actually in a very real way changing the lives of real people in real need.
Cons
Chaos, brutal work pace, under pay, relatively thankless, compassion burn out.
Meaningful work
Medical case management intern (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 22, 2018
The IRC is a great place for anyone with a passion for helping their fellow humans. The teams and individuals work collaboratively together, and the reward of assisting refugees successfully resettle is wonderful.
teacher
VESL Computer Class Instructor (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAOctober 14, 2018
refugee
applications
find jobs
contact employers
travel to different locations to help refugee with their needs
computer classes to help them with

Ask a question about working or interviewing at International Rescue Committee. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight