International Rescue Committee Employee Reviews in New York, NY

Great mission, frustrating workplace
Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 14, 2019
The International Rescue Committee has a great mission and values. Their office environment is below average with poor building conditions and poor office equipment and supplies. Although there is some great knowledge and experience with the people that work there, there is poor teamwork and collaboration across departments.
Productive and great learning experience
Refugee Youth Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 6, 2019
I only worked as an intern/tutor for the IRC therefore I would not be able to give an exact feedback on the employment area. but overall, this was a fun and great experience for youths to be able to collaborate with organizations working with refugee youths and family members.
Lots of vitality and people dedicated to immigrants
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 22, 2019
Great bunch of professionals highly dedicated to their work. Standards are very high for hiring and for working. Only the best need apply! Although like most nonprofits the office is crowded and untidy, the spirit shared by the team is invaluable. My favorite workplace in 40 years of work!
Pros
Feel good atmosphere working for a cause.
Cons
Turnover and disorganization.
Great infrastructure.
Infrastructure Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2019
Great tools. Great local people. Questionable international agency relationships that decide to threaten security to get ahead. All else was good from a technical level. Best bike room on the planet.
If you have a heart, you'd work here
Liaison (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 20, 2018
One needs to have the biggest heart to work here. The cause is noble and they have the smartest and most dedicated staff. The President is amazing and I applaud the many who give so much to keep the programs alive. However, as a contract/temporary staffer -- you are just that and the culture often times leaves you behind.
Passionate people with an impossible mission
Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2018
The International Rescue Committee touches the lives of 26 million refugees with only a $1 billion budget...they're punching way above their weight. It's a fast paced, chaotic, very lean organization and the work can be a bit brutal at times. If you believe in the work and the mission, the fast pace and less than average pay can still be incredibly rewarding.

Don't expect a normal company environment. The place has been underfunded and in chaos crisis management mode for 70 years. It's what the IRC is. You go to work there because you want to make a difference, not because you're looking for a well organized and gentle work environment. The IRC will punch you right in the face then in the nicest, kindest way say, "I'm so sorry, I didn't see you there, you're important to me" then .653 seconds later be right back to work.
Pros
Meaning in work...you're not working for more twats trying to get rich, you're actually in a very real way changing the lives of real people in real need.
Cons
Chaos, brutal work pace, under pay, relatively thankless, compassion burn out.
Discrimination, Supervisor who is a Social worker has his favorites
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2018
New York office: If you are Tibetan then apply for an internship or job. The Supervisor is biased with Tibetans. He has his favorites. For a company like IRC, I didn't expect that discrimination would exist as in each and every orientation they talk about how great the company is and how nice they are with people from other countries.
mission driven org
Program Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2018
the organization is supportive of professional development and learning, provides friendly and balanced work environment, well developed internal systems.
Fun and productive
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 4, 2018
Work entailed working with children of different ages and being part of a very diverse staff.

I learned a lot about what the IRC does and how it helps refugee family and children. Being a part of that positive change was amazing.
Great non-profit organization
Intake Coordinator/Employment Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 2, 2018
It was a really friendly place to work in, I assisted people from various countries and helped them resettle in NY. The message that IRC works towards is amazing and the people working there are genuinely trying to make a change.
Great humanitary efforts however, need better leadership and incintives for employees
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 1, 2018
I love working for the lnternatiinal Rescue Committee and enjoy working in the finance department. I love helping people and figuring out how to resolve problems. It’s nothing like enjoying what you do for a living - if not your going to be miserable.
Pros
Great 403B matching that the company provides
Cons
Leadership
New environment
Master's Candidate Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2018
This place has grown since I have been there. I think it is a great experience and would be a totally different one if I went back now. I think for people going into Social Work this is really wonderful.
Very employee centric
REGIONAL HR BUSINESS PARTNER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2018
Great company to work for. Provides a great amount of flexibility for employees. They value quality of human capital. They are growing and are expanding their teams to meet the needs of their clients as well as all of their employees world wide.
Pros
Ability to work remotely in many positions
Cons
lack of stability due to funding
Excellent room for advancement, but comes with cons
Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 5, 2018
There is definitely room to advance your career here, however, the hours worked were long, especially during whatever your department's "busy season" would be. It can be very stressful work and 9 out of 10 times, I ate lunch at my desk.
The management is OK. There are good managers and some who definitely don't know how to manage their staff. The turnover rate is pretty high as well. The work environment is OK, for some reason politics come into play often, which I personally find annoying. The benefits were excellent, I never had any issues.
Highly recommend -- a great platform to make an impact.
(IRC) - Strategy Advisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 30, 2017
The IRC is an incredible place to work, they have an incredible mission, strong leadership, highly competent people and a competitive edge in the industry. I have been overall impressed during my time here.
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 16, 2017
Friendly work environment, lots of volunteer opportunities. management was very friendly and open to hear suggestions. Diverse group of people to work with. Highly recommended.
Good work culture
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 3, 2017
The IRC was a good place to work if you want to be surrounded by good people. However, there is almost zero work/life balance and you are expected to work all the time. The work is important so you feel obligated to do it, but it is not sustainable. However, you are participating in history changing work so it's a give and take.
Pros
culture, coworkers, doing good work
Cons
overworked, underpaid, confusing top management
Stellar Organization wtih Best Practices
Major Gifts Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 1, 2017
The International Rescue Committee has a fundraising department this has the best of the best practices in fundraising. Working here means you will be learning the most effective practices that are well-vetted and tried and true. Also the mission is very important. The International Rescue Committee and their PROGRAM people in more than 40 countries are helping the most forsake people on earth. Great place to work!
An organization you'll fall in love with!
Lead Teacher - Refugee Youth Summer Academy (RYSA) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2017
It was refreshing to be surrounded by people who all shared the organization's mission. The work is challenging, but rewarding: there are many opportunities to collaborate with us and come up with creative solutions.
not a fun place to work
Senior Manager, Facilities / Office Services (Current Employee) –  New York NYAugust 30, 2017
not a fun place to work. no advancement in my area. not learning anything. There are no enjoyable parts about my job its thankless. the hardest part of the job there is no structure. Management is micro management they do not take responsibility they throw you under the bus without making a decision.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
mirco managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at International Rescue Committee. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

International Rescue Committee Reviews by Job Title