International Rescue Committee Employee Reviews in San Diego, CA

Very Cultural Diverse
Internship (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 4, 2019
My very first internship with this non-profit company has been so far amazing. I get to know many people from others school and make friend with them. The work I did is learning to produce an organic plants and vegetable. I was taught to keep my surrounding cleans and also I learn to sell to customers.
Pros
Lots of Friends
Cons
Food not provided
Good place to work.
Food Security Internship (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 15, 2018
During the summer of 2017, I was a food security intern for the International Rescue Committee
in San Diego, CA. My responsibilities primarily related to the maintenance of the IRC’s urban
farming operations. These urban farms are provided to the local refugee population as a means to
improve economic and nutritional security. I was engaged in the upkeep of irrigation systems,
farmers markets; as well as the development of educational programs directed at facilitating
upward mobility amongst underprivileged youth.
volunteering at IRC
Volunteering Experiences (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 9, 2018
I really enjoyed volunteering at the International Rescue Committee. It really helps people and it was a great way of meeting people from all around the world. There was a range of diverse cultures to work with.It was a friendly environment lots of volunteer opportunities. Management was very friendly and open to hear suggestions.
Pros
Seeing children smile everyday make days extremely enjoyable
Cons
Having to witness families that came from hardship.
Multi Cultural and collaborative work place
Financial Skills Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 29, 2018
I have learned how to work in the multicultural environment and I enjoyed it.very friendly and flexible environment also the management is perfect.a lot of fun activities that I enjoyed.
productive and fun invironment
Work Readiness Trainee (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 30, 2017
I took a work readiness class for a month and a half and then graduated and never returned. They were my teachers and I was only there to learn how the work environment work.
Pros
knowledgeable career advice
Cons
N/a
Fulfilling job in a friendly working enviornment
Tax Program Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 7, 2017
IRC provided the training program for tax program interns, very detailed instructions on how to execute the work. Managers provided great help all the time. IRC is a very friendly organization.
A typical day at work
Certified Volunteer Income Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 9, 2017
I have worked with the tax coordinators in handling complex client cases by providing supporting tax documentations,
Information, research and data input.
This is hard work, but it is work to be proud of.
Career Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 10, 2017
The IRC was a wonderful place to work, and I was very lucky to find myself working alongside caring and competent people. The work is very demanding, and you often feel like you are leaving the day with much more work to be done.

The overall pay is low, but the benefits package is amazing. Honestly, the IRC San Diego was the most competitive organization of its kind in San Diego in terms of pay and benefits.
Pros
Great work, great management, and a commitment to work/life balance
Cons
very hard work that often pulls you in many directions. Overall low pay.
Great NON Profit
Employment Specialist Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 9, 2017
I dont wanna I dont wanna I dont wanna review but this site is making me do this hahah. I am showing them who is in control. you cant ask me to do a review by force.
Welcoming Environment, but some creepy guests
Refugee Employment Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 8, 2017
I had great management at the IRC, the only bad thing is that that you will run into some creepy customers at times who hit on you and border line sexually harras you (if you are a woman). Even one of the customers started working there and made many vulgar and disturbing comments to me (something that he had done to others). I ended up leaving because I felt so uncomfortable from it. I never told my manager but I should have spoken up.
Really fun
Work Readiness Trainee (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 9, 2017
This was a good place taught me a lot and trained me for the working environment I enjoyed everything about this traing experience would love to do it again
Pros
The people
Cons
Not long enough
Extremely detail oriented which I love
College Prep Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 21, 2016
• Loved getting up to go to work because I knew I was making a difference
• I learned a lot about policy initiative, development, staffing, and progress
• The management was amazing always helping others succeed to their potential
• There where a lot of Interns that were starting out their careers, amazing people to be around
• The hardest part of the job was taking over 200 calls a day and keeping up in a fast paced environment
• The most enjoyable part of the job was learning something new on a daily basis
Pros
Getting to meet State and City officials on a personal level
Cons
Dealing with routine changes from the Campaign Manager
Passionate and fulfilling environment, low pay
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 10, 2016
Great co-workers and managers who truly want to help you grow and succeed, extremely diverse work environment, pay is low even for a nonprofit
Pros
Pto, benefits, nice work culture
Cons
not always a lot of room for growth, low pay
It's so cool
Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 31, 2016
I've worked with the tax department. I've learned a lot of the tax skills with a friendly atmosphere, the harder time was the unexpected busy hours, but we did our best to do the perfect job.
Great flexibleStaff
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 14, 2016
Working for IRC is amazing. The genuine culture and seeing children smile everyday make days extremely enjoyable. Families from all over the world share their great cultures which brings us together.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low Pay
amazing place with multi cultural individuals
Tax Return Agent (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 24, 2015
I'm multi cultural person and i enjoyed helping people, meeting and working others was an amazing experience. the place was fun and likable place. Every single person i meet was very helpful and i learned a lot from them. i helped many people who needed me and i ma glad i did that.
Productive and fun work place.
Financial Skills Coordiator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 23, 2015
The most enjoyable job was working at the IRC. Was fun place to work and my colleagues were very interesting people to work with.
A great place to work if you want to help others
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 30, 2015
I am working there as a volunteer in the Center for Financial Opportunities and I have really learned a lot from my colleagues and supervisor. If its your first time working in America this is the place to be. You learn all the basic and advanced requirements to make it and start the journey of your own American Dream.
Great team environment working toward positive social change
Matching Grant Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 19, 2014
As a volunteer for the IRC San Diego, I was given a great opportunity to work with refugees and learn business skills that helped me throughout my own job search process. The environment of the organization fostered team members who were all equal, but responsible for different tasks, creating a workplace built on trust and a very understanding staff.
Pros
Internationally-educated staff, working for change
Cons
Long commitment periods for certain volunteer programs
Productive. Well organized.
Connect2Work Intern (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 19, 2014
Very helpful when it comes to someone that hasn't graduated and looking for a High School or GED diploma, and also a job. Very helpful with Internships. A good place to get back up on your feet, and leave the door like a professional on a busy day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at International Rescue Committee. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight