International Rescue Committee Employee Reviews for Intern

Discrimination, Supervisor who is a Social worker has his favorites
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2018
New York office: If you are Tibetan then apply for an internship or job. The Supervisor is biased with Tibetans. He has his favorites. For a company like IRC, I didn't expect that discrimination would exist as in each and every orientation they talk about how great the company is and how nice they are with people from other countries.
great
Intern (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 7, 2018
I learned that helping new arrival refugee immigrants was something new to me and same time passionated and amazing experience to be proud of and very most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
free lunches
Cons
30 minutes break
Good place to work.
Food Security Internship (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 15, 2018
During the summer of 2017, I was a food security intern for the International Rescue Committee
in San Diego, CA. My responsibilities primarily related to the maintenance of the IRC’s urban
farming operations. These urban farms are provided to the local refugee population as a means to
improve economic and nutritional security. I was engaged in the upkeep of irrigation systems,
farmers markets; as well as the development of educational programs directed at facilitating
upward mobility amongst underprivileged youth.
Amazing Experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 2, 2018
I've always wanted to help people. Working with IRC was a dream come true. I saw all kinds of points of views. It is such a diverse population and seeing the smile on the refugees' faces when helped is the best feeling one could have.
Patient and Fast Pace Environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJ 07201January 22, 2018
I worked at IRC in Sierra Leone between 1999 to 2003. It was my first experience and i learned a lot working with a diverse team. I was a volunteer responsible for receiving and registering new refugees. I will sometimes act as an interpreter and help amputees using to their new prosthetic limbs. I normally worked longs hours between 8-10 hours a day. There are times i will have to work longer than 10 hours or even work on weekend to get the job done on time. An average of 50 refugees a day. The job was challenging at first but adapted once i became familiar with my role. Working for too long hours can be challenging but that was not a concern after a while. More over i have a passion for helping others in need. Management were very helpful and willing to assist you to get the job done.
Pros
Great Benefits, Diverse team, Team effort
Cons
Long Distant from the city
Good place to intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaOctober 6, 2017
The IRC is a great place to intern if you're interested in international affairs or the nonprofit sector. The managers are good at giving you hands on experience.
Pros
Hands on learning
Cons
Unpaid
Filling necessary void; work could be implemented better
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 8, 2017
IRC is doing a great work. They really are filling a need with the work they do as far as the resettlement process for refugees. However, it seems that many of their values are more talk than actual practice, especially partnership with members of the community they serve. If you are expecting to truly operate under their mission and vision, also expect that you may have some push back when you do that. It does however seem that the "heart" of the organization is to continually improve and truly operate based on their mission and vision. So, it has the opportunity for change.
intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2017
I worked as an intern in the resettlement office. Incredibly rewarding work with a great team. I am not sure what the salary is like there-- it's hard work and a great atmosphere.
Fast-paced, multi-functional workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 19, 2015
The office culture at the IRC is great. It's very collaborative and staff tend to be quite close. The work is hard and can be stressful, but is ultimately rewarding.
IRC of Atlanta
Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta,GAAugust 1, 2014
This volunteer/intern job gives you a great overview on the other continents of the world and how people live their life what kind of struggles they go through and such , it is a very rewarding internship.
Devoted, hard-working environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 17, 2013
I was a summer intern at the International Rescue Committee (IRC) and truly enjoyed my time there. It was when I first became passionate about refugee rights and healthcare advocacy. I learned a great deal about Dallas healthcare and educational systems and was given advancing degrees of responsibility throughout the summer.
The co-workers were wonderful, positive individuals to work with and the management was as efficient as possible. The hardest part of the internship was the unpaid aspect, naturally. However, it was a great experience.
Pros
Clients and workplace environment
Cons
Unpaid
I enjoyed helping the vulnerable people
Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 24, 2012
Working together as a team to support the vulnerable people was the most enjoyable moments of my career.