International Rescue Committee Employee Review

View all International Rescue Committee reviews

Passionate people with an impossible mission
Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2018
The International Rescue Committee touches the lives of 26 million refugees with only a $1 billion budget...they're punching way above their weight. It's a fast paced, chaotic, very lean organization and the work can be a bit brutal at times. If you believe in the work and the mission, the fast pace and less than average pay can still be incredibly rewarding.

Don't expect a normal company environment. The place has been underfunded and in chaos crisis management mode for 70 years. It's what the IRC is. You go to work there because you want to make a difference, not because you're looking for a well organized and gentle work environment. The IRC will punch you right in the face then in the nicest, kindest way say, "I'm so sorry, I didn't see you there, you're important to me" then .653 seconds later be right back to work.
Pros
Meaning in work...you're not working for more twats trying to get rich, you're actually in a very real way changing the lives of real people in real need.
Cons
Chaos, brutal work pace, under pay, relatively thankless, compassion burn out.

Other International Rescue Committee Employee Reviews

lots of internships, not as much hiring on interns
Immigration Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 19, 2019
Good experience helping people in need. Dedicated staff and interns. Pleasant work environment. Company relies on interns about as much as paid staff-- and would not operate successfully without intern support. Given that, believe interns should at least get some kind of a weekly/monthly stipend for their help. Had been with much smaller non-profit that did that.
Awesome
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDApril 17, 2019
I did my internship here and got hired on when I graduated from boise state university. I enjoyed working with people from all around the world and learning about different cultures and lifestyles.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at International Rescue Committee. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight