International Rescue Committee Employee Reviews

Had everything I needed career wise but fell behind being compinsated financially
Program Manager, Youth and Health (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 15, 2018
Amazing collaborative working culture, serving a truly in need population (refugees and asylees) Had the consultancy support from HQ to manage more than 12 grants, achieve deliverables on time. Amazing satisfaction to see positive outcomes with what can be considered limited funding. I have all but wonderful experiences at the IRC having my competencies utilized fully while continuously learning and advancing as a global health professional. However, fanaicial companciation failed to meet my needs and thus had to find another opportunity.
Amazing Experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 2, 2018
I've always wanted to help people. Working with IRC was a dream come true. I saw all kinds of points of views. It is such a diverse population and seeing the smile on the refugees' faces when helped is the best feeling one could have.
Great humanitary efforts however, need better leadership and incintives for employees
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 1, 2018
I love working for the lnternatiinal Rescue Committee and enjoy working in the finance department. I love helping people and figuring out how to resolve problems. It’s nothing like enjoying what you do for a living - if not your going to be miserable.
Pros
Great 403B matching that the company provides
Cons
Leadership
Tax Volunteer
Tax Volunteer (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAMarch 1, 2018
This position was a volunteer tax position so volunteers were not paid. We met people of different cultures everyday and helped them with their tax returns.
New environment
Master's Candidate Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2018
This place has grown since I have been there. I think it is a great experience and would be a totally different one if I went back now. I think for people going into Social Work this is really wonderful.
nice and friendly work environment
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 15, 2018
IRC is a multicultural work environment with people from all over the world, it feels good when you get to help people in need and see them succeed. but with little pay and lots of paper and field work.
Pros
Multi Cultural, Fun and doing good and help people on daily basis.
Cons
not enough hours/ No advancement within the organization/working late night hours
Most committed group of people I've ever work with
Community Engagement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 6, 2018
The local office counts with the most selfless and committed group of people I've ever work with. Organization is big on best practices on service provision.
Resettlement Agency Dedicated to Evidence Based Programming
Volunteer and Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXFebruary 6, 2018
The IRC as a whole is a stellar work environment. IRC-wide, management is fantastic. The most difficult part of the job is the stress that comes along with working in refugee resettlement, especially as it relates to the current governmental situation.
Great place to work, I was able to be learn new skills and being promoted to new positions.
Matching Grant Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Miami, FL 33172February 5, 2018
Working at the IRC was the best experience with an employer. Despite the salary not being very competitive, the array of benefits and the relationship with all the co workers was beyond the family concept. I will deeply miss working with the IRC Miami.
Pros
Benefits, salary, office ambience, location.
Patient and Fast Pace Environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJ 07201January 22, 2018
I worked at IRC in Sierra Leone between 1999 to 2003. It was my first experience and i learned a lot working with a diverse team. I was a volunteer responsible for receiving and registering new refugees. I will sometimes act as an interpreter and help amputees using to their new prosthetic limbs. I normally worked longs hours between 8-10 hours a day. There are times i will have to work longer than 10 hours or even work on weekend to get the job done on time. An average of 50 refugees a day. The job was challenging at first but adapted once i became familiar with my role. Working for too long hours can be challenging but that was not a concern after a while. More over i have a passion for helping others in need. Management were very helpful and willing to assist you to get the job done.
Pros
Great Benefits, Diverse team, Team effort
Cons
Long Distant from the city
Very employee centric
REGIONAL HR BUSINESS PARTNER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2018
Great company to work for. Provides a great amount of flexibility for employees. They value quality of human capital. They are growing and are expanding their teams to meet the needs of their clients as well as all of their employees world wide.
Pros
Ability to work remotely in many positions
Cons
lack of stability due to funding
Productive and nice workplace with many opportunities for collaboration.
Communication and Resource Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 22, 2018
Everyday was a new task in the development department and collaborating with fellow colleagues or stakeholders that assist the goals of our organization. The workplace was flexible and efficient with their tasks. The staff was supportive and focus on results and doing the most with the resources available. It was difficult not being able to accomplish some projects because of funding or other people falling through on commitment. At times it could be discouraging but it was always enjoyable working with people to complete a task and see it all come together.
The best place to work
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Tucker, GAJanuary 15, 2018
I really enjoyed working at the International Rescue Committee. It really helps people and I looked forward to meeting people from around the world. I wanted to stay but the country's laws were making it harder on refugees to come to the United States.
Excellent room for advancement, but comes with cons
Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 5, 2018
There is definitely room to advance your career here, however, the hours worked were long, especially during whatever your department's "busy season" would be. It can be very stressful work and 9 out of 10 times, I ate lunch at my desk.
The management is OK. There are good managers and some who definitely don't know how to manage their staff. The turnover rate is pretty high as well. The work environment is OK, for some reason politics come into play often, which I personally find annoying. The benefits were excellent, I never had any issues.
productive and fun invironment
Work Readiness Trainee (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 30, 2017
I took a work readiness class for a month and a half and then graduated and never returned. They were my teachers and I was only there to learn how the work environment work.
Pros
knowledgeable career advice
Cons
N/a
Great place
Infrastructure Engineer (Former Employee) –  Midtown New York, NYDecember 20, 2017
Great place, worked with the helpdesk team. Everyone is friendly. Great computers. They let us upgrade to Windows 10. Great management team. Lots of meetings.
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 12, 2017
Great place to work. Everyone is dedicated to providing great services to our refugee clients, whether it is a lesson in job interviews, immigration applications or help with job placement.
Pros
It is great to be able to help people with their immigration needs
Fulfilling job in a friendly working enviornment
Tax Program Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 7, 2017
IRC provided the training program for tax program interns, very detailed instructions on how to execute the work. Managers provided great help all the time. IRC is a very friendly organization.
Highly recommend -- a great platform to make an impact.
(IRC) - Strategy Advisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 30, 2017
The IRC is an incredible place to work, they have an incredible mission, strong leadership, highly competent people and a competitive edge in the industry. I have been overall impressed during my time here.
Employment Specialist Intern (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 21, 2017
Great work environment. Everyone's heart is in the right place. You have to have compassion and empathy, most refugees come from very harsh environments.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at International Rescue Committee. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight