International Rescue Committee Employee Reviews

VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 16, 2017
Friendly work environment, lots of volunteer opportunities. management was very friendly and open to hear suggestions. Diverse group of people to work with. Highly recommended.
very stressfull
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJNovember 15, 2017
very stressful environment, lack of training and support. Management was not equipped to handle issue with refugee and overload. Turn over is very quick including supervisor roll.
Yes, it's fun.
Community Gardens Associate (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 9, 2017
A good place to work. Very interesting. Diverse staff. Fantastic communities in Baltimore to work in. This place is a dream come true for me and I enjoy the physical work, the interaction with many different kinds of people, and the daily challenge of thinking things through.
Dedcated and compationate. Assisting clients to be come quick sel-sufficient.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 7, 2017
Interacting the the clients (refugees), participating in conflict solving, managing emergencies, working in stressful environment and multi languages.

Dealing with a clients (refugees) who lost everything back home due to war or natural disaster, and must to restart over a new life from nothing.

It pays back to see above client standing on his feet, and becomes self-sufficient.
Great place to learn and grow, but no pay for interns!
Economic Empowerment Intern (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 7, 2017
What's better than working with Refugees? Nothing! IRC is fast paced and dynamic. As an intern you will be entrusted with a wide variety of challenging and important responsibilities, and will have an amazing chance to make a huge and positive difference in the lives of very vulnerable people. The only downside is it won't pay you. I would stay forever, but paid positions are not easy to come by and highly sought after.
excelente experiencia
IRC-Humanitarian Officer (Former Employee) –  AthensNovember 3, 2017
fue lo mejor que he tenido en Grecia es un trabajo humanitario
Good work culture
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 3, 2017
The IRC was a good place to work if you want to be surrounded by good people. However, there is almost zero work/life balance and you are expected to work all the time. The work is important so you feel obligated to do it, but it is not sustainable. However, you are participating in history changing work so it's a give and take.
Pros
culture, coworkers, doing good work
Cons
overworked, underpaid, confusing top management
Passionate workplace and coworkers
Volunteer/Intern Program Coordinator - AmeriCorps (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZ 85715October 17, 2017
IRC has excellent management and training. All employees have to be passionate about working with refugees to enjoy their day-to-day. The hardest part of the job was leaving at the end of my contract.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Outside political forces
A typical day at work
Certified Volunteer Income Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 9, 2017
I have worked with the tax coordinators in handling complex client cases by providing supporting tax documentations,
Information, research and data input.
Good place to intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaOctober 6, 2017
The IRC is a great place to intern if you're interested in international affairs or the nonprofit sector. The managers are good at giving you hands on experience.
Pros
Hands on learning
Cons
Unpaid
Stellar Organization wtih Best Practices
Major Gifts Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 1, 2017
The International Rescue Committee has a fundraising department this has the best of the best practices in fundraising. Working here means you will be learning the most effective practices that are well-vetted and tried and true. Also the mission is very important. The International Rescue Committee and their PROGRAM people in more than 40 countries are helping the most forsake people on earth. Great place to work!
great culture of work
Resettlement Case Manager (Current Employee) –  SeaTac, WASeptember 30, 2017
Excellent working environment and very friendly staff. everyone here works life family. benefits are great. average pay and working with refugees gives you joy.
Pros
benefits, paid time off, pay
Cons
little stressful
My heart is here
HEALTH & WELLNESS AMERICORPS (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 21, 2017
The International Rescue Committee will always hold a special place in my heart. The moment I walked in the front door I wanted nothing more than to be a part of their family. When I say family, I mean family. We worked as a cohesive group toward a common goal. Our hearts and souls went into helping our clients live the best lives possible in a new country. We held each other's hands and became brothers and sisters with such familiarity and ease. It is hard to explain just how amazing my experience at the IRC was to someone who hasn't lived in the quote, "When you do what you love, you never work a day in your life.". The IRC is LOVE.
Rewarding
clerical support and customer service (Former Employee) –  Doral, FLSeptember 21, 2017
a very rewarding place to work. Opportunity to grow and fun place to work. Because of the job it can be stressful but still a great place and location to work.
Overall Great Rating
Economic Empowerment Associate (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 20, 2017
The IRC responds to some of the world's worst crises, delivering aid that saves lives while paving the way for long-term recovery. They help people whose lives have been upended by war, conflict and natural disasters.
Overwhelmingly Satisyfing
Resource Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 13, 2017
Working at the IRC changed my life for the better. To see the difference they make there and the heart of the people who do it was incredibly humbling. It taught me so much about the world and what was going on in it. It's a life changing experience and something amazing to have been apart of.
Pros
Meeting people from all over the world
Cons
An organization you'll fall in love with!
Lead Teacher - Refugee Youth Summer Academy (RYSA) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2017
It was refreshing to be surrounded by people who all shared the organization's mission. The work is challenging, but rewarding: there are many opportunities to collaborate with us and come up with creative solutions.
Great place to work!
Associate, Leadership Gifts (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 4, 2017
great place to work! there is a lot of room for growth and learning opportunities. people are friendly outside of work as well as inside. i highly recommend. great mission statement.
Volunteer
Volunteer, IRC (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 1, 2017
I volunteered for the IRC office in Atlanta, Georgia for one week. I helped the New Americans apply for jobs, learn English and learn about their basic rights in the U.S.
not a fun place to work
Senior Manager, Facilities / Office Services (Current Employee) –  New York NYAugust 30, 2017
not a fun place to work. no advancement in my area. not learning anything. There are no enjoyable parts about my job its thankless. the hardest part of the job there is no structure. Management is micro management they do not take responsibility they throw you under the bus without making a decision.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
mirco managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at International Rescue Committee. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight