International SOS Employee Reviews

Culture Favors Younger Workers
Office (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 7, 2019
There are few employees working for this company who are over 40 years old. They favor a younger workforce and do not even try to hide that fact. They compensate fairly, but the bias against older workers overshadows everything else about working here. Additionally, management is inexperienced and do not provide coaching or direction.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Age Biased Culture and Inexperienced Management
Productive and welcoming workplace
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 2, 2018
This company is very welcoming. They are centered around making the employees feel comfortable and the dynamic is strong focused around building from within.
Coordinating Nurse
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Trevose, PANovember 13, 2018
Worse job I ever had! I get sick to my stomach when I drive by the building in Trevose. I would do bedside nursing anyday then work a job like this! The person in charge of orientation was so condescending! Don’t do it!
Pros
Cons
Too many to type
Empty promises
PCP (Former Employee) –  AlbertaOctober 7, 2018
Terrible management and no room for advancement. ISOS has turned into just another medical company in Alberta. Heard they were good before the CIP buyout but I didn’t see anything that set them apart from the other oil/gas medical companies
one of the most stressful jobs I've ever worked
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Trevose, PA 19053September 27, 2018
There was no "typical" work day! Every day was a different chaotic situation. The pay was great and we were required to work 3 -13 hr days. Other that that, the work was extremely stressful! The most rewarding part was to provide assistance to people across the world along with the opportunity to learn about international health care systems. I believe that given the right leadership, i would've thrived.
Pros
good pay/ short work weeks
Cons
Stressful/ lack of managerial support
All things considered
Dental Front Office Lead (Former Employee) –  Kwajalein Atoll, AP, 96555, USAugust 12, 2018
Working for ISOS was a good experience, there were some issues with the contract and the way it was worded. Not all things were explained fully, but overall a decent company.
Pros
The Benefits
Cons
Micromanagement
ISOS. Es la mejor experiencia
Paramedico (Former Employee) –  Venezuela MorichalJuly 18, 2018
Venezuela y paramedicos recuerdan a ISOS por buena
Pros
Es una escuela, mejorara tus habilidades.
Cons
En estos momentos no hay muchas oportunidades para trabajar con ISOS en Sudamérica.
Stressful
Offshore Medical Officer (drilling ships) (Former Employee) –  AsiaJuly 10, 2018
Working with ISOS is stressful. Managers and doctors are not that helpful because they lack the experience working offshore. Lots of things learned with safety onboard.
Coordinating Nurse (Former Employee) –  Trevose, PAMay 3, 2018
Great place to work with supportive staff. Great autonomy, encourages new ideas and fosters growth. Enjoy providing assistance to our clients. 5 star.
Work life balance
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Trevose, PAApril 4, 2018
International SOS is full of extremely passionate people. The company needs to provide internal education for managers on a continual basis in terms of people management.
Pros
Nonstandard schedule, free food constantly, great benefits, culturally diverse work environment
Cons
Nonstandard schedule, low staffing
ISOS is Great
SITE PHYSICIAN (Former Employee) –  ManilaMarch 3, 2018
The typical work day involves seeing crew at the clinic to check for vitals. As the assignment is in a construction site, we get to see mostly minor injuries from superficial cuts and abrasions to dust exposure causing skin irritation. We do get occasional accidents and triage them to the local hospital. I've learned to be ready at all times whether I'm off on standby or on call. The management is particularly watchful for our health standards as we are exposed to hazards within the work place. The hardest part of the job is to be away from family and friends for the most part. Here, I was first exposed to foreign workers from England and France learning about their culture and country. My locum in Equatorial Guinea was particularly interesting as we were instructed to make sure our doors are closed at all times. Why? Because of the snakes!!! I did not sleep a wink for the first week.
Pros
First experience to work with foreign workers
Cons
Being away from family and friends
Excellent work place
Coordinating Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 24, 2018
Great place for development. Work can be challenging and useful for skill building. There is a high rate of turn over and individuals aligned with company values and customer service are likely to advance.
Pros
Free Food, Great People
Cons
Bad Hours
Good pay, dedicated team
Nurse case manager, senior nurse, escort nurse (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 13, 2018
International SOS is a hard working group of nurses, coordinators, doctors, and more. Everyday is fast paced and goes quickly. It is a job you can leave at the office at the end of you shift. Pay is above average and there are yearly raises. Schedule is pretty flexible, benefits are good, medical management listens to suggestions. There is a yearly allotment for continuing education and the opportunity to travel on medical transports.
Pros
Schedule, benefits, yearly raises
Cons
Na
Stressful work place, high pressure.
International Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PAJanuary 26, 2018
I was an International Operations Coordinator there. My day began at 7A and went until 8P, I barely looked up from my desk to go to the bathroom. There was a tremendous amount of procedures to memorize, and you had to do it really quickly. There was not real learning curve and no time to slow down a bit. You can barely get any real individualized attention. I found myself very frustrated at the end of the day, and dreading the next. You get about 50-80 cases to work on, in addition to answering new calls coming in. Everything has to be entered into the database a certain way, and there are around 10 steps at least to follow for every case. Add that to the stress of this environment--everything needed to be done RGHT NOW, and it was too much.
Pros
Lots of free food, paid lunch hour, good benefits
Cons
Stress, not enough training time, hours too long
A truly Bizarre Place...
Assistance Operations (Former Employee) –  LondonJanuary 26, 2018
Pros

Great work done on a global scale. Good people who truly believe in what they do.

Cons

International SOS is a firm that is terrified of change. They will start large internal change projects without fully funding them, or getting leadership commitment. When the initiative invariably falters there is a mad scramble at the GM and AGM level to run of cover and find someone... ANY one else to blame.

The core problem with International SOS is that no one wants to be accountable for anything,

They all want to say they are responsible for things, and they create massive nonsensical titles to show how important they are. If people at the GM level spent half as much time doing their their jobs as they do avoiding taking ownership of their jobs, the firm would be a far different and better place.

Scapegoating is in the core DNA of the firm's culture. Process consistency is non existent and if there is s global process it wont apply in areas where "certain individuals" with close relationships to the firms founders simply don't want to do it.

Advice to Management

International SOS has had it's head stuck up it's own backside for so long, that it has gotten used to the sensation, and now believes it's supposed to be that way. You need to seriously invest in systems infrastructure and start asking a lot of your mangers at the GM level what is it that they actually DO all day? The answer right now, is clearly , not much....
Pros
Global work, Good people (mostly)
Cons
Management at AGM and GM level is beyond awful.
Management needs a serious look
Sr. IT Manager, Global IT (Former Employee) –  Trevose, PAJanuary 9, 2018
At how they are treating the people that make it possible for the business. There is a very poor culture that unfortunately starts at the very top and trickles down. This leads to loss of talent and good employees.
Sos
Authorization Executive (Former Employee) –  Trevose, PAJanuary 4, 2018
I started my day at 8:30am and ended at 5pm. The day consisted of writing and sending authorization letters for treatment to facilities in Puerto Rico for military soldiers.

Management was as usual and the work culture was acceptable.

The hardest part about the job was meeting goals every month. You needed to have a certain amount of Authorization letter issued each month.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping soldiers receive the help that they needed for their medical needs.
Pros
Helping others, job schedule and team mates.
Cons
short breaks
Multicultural international organization. The staff is great to work with, but technology is lacking.
Consultant, Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Trevose, PADecember 6, 2017
Long stressful days, especially if you work in operations. There is the opportunity to relocate as it has offices in over 100 countries. Poor work life balance and no clear cut succession or progression plans.
Pros
Multinational, multicultural, generous vacation days
Cons
Severe office politics, poor work-life balance
Standard
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 27, 2017
The standard one would expect from any healthcare institution. Culture is congruent with the culture of the city it sits in. Work day is standard. 1234
Current nurse
coordinating nurse (Current Employee) –  Trevose, PAOctober 17, 2017
Best nursing job I've ever had!. I've been here for almost three years and have advanced my position. Still fast paced environment you wont be bored. You can work 10 hour days are able to make your own schedule, they match a percentage of 401K, short term disability and the ability to travel after a year with paid reimbursement. I've traveled to 3 countries. This job is what you make of it, there are many opportunities if you work for it show integrity, flexibility, excitement to learn, attention to detail and a problem solver. We truly work as a team here and I feel like its my other family.
My worst day here is my best day working at the bedside. Who would think as a RN i would have an hour lunch everyday.I will never look back!
Pros
face paced

Ask a question about working or interviewing at International SOS. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight