International Student Exchange

International Student Exchange Employee Reviews

United States20 reviews
Excellent Company
I’m a Regional Advisor with ISE. It’s a wonderful job for those who have children they need to be at home with but desire to have money coming in. You’re working with families so they usually understand if you bring your child along.. but you should of course keep things as professional as possible. You learn a lot with this job and it has nice incentives. You have to really enjoy working with teenagers and families . You’ll also work with schools too.
Great Company
Love working for them. Helping kids and families come together from around the world. The experience of meeting new people from other cultures. This makes me happy.
This is a remote position so you make it what you will
This is a great company to work for. The training is a little lacking, but the support is great. You have to be a dedicated person to work from home, so be prepared to work even after traditional work hours are over, it's just the nature of the business. The hardest part of the job is the proximity of cities in California that must be serviced.
A great idea for a part-time job related to educaton.
I worked an average of ten hours per week, checking on students and their host families as they went through the adjustment process. I was responsible for submitting progress reports on the students every other month, alternating with less intensive reports during the other months. I also hosted social events and dinners for the students, their host families, and their friends.

The management was very good, and the workplace culture made it easy to combine with my own family activities and those of the host families.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the students and following their progress throughout the school year. The hardest part was saying "Good-bye" to the students when they returned to their home countries.
Pros
Meeting the students and helping them in the adjustment process.
Cons
Dealing with students' problems, but this happened just a few times.
Children bridge the gap
I got into working with ISE by starting hosting my own students. The company is very well staffed and keeps you informed as well as helps you along the way with anything that you may need. It is such a wonderful experience being a host family and an area representative as well! I highly recommend ISE
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Excellent
Great place to work with great pay. Management is very responsive and helpful. Whatever you need as an employee they will try to accommodate and help you, of course as long as you are reasonable.
Pros
The binuses and binus trips..
Cons
None noted
Program Director
My favorite part of my job is traveling to the field staff and training.
The least favorite part of my job has been the learning curve of the office as they have never had a remote employee.
Pros
Travel, ability to set my own travel schedule. Management of team.
Cons
being the only remote employee, this has recently changed and I believe it will be better.
A supportive place to learn.
International Student Exchange provides one of the best opportunities to grow and learn as a person and professional. It is a challenging and fun job. Being able to help others while learning about other cultures and gaining life long friends very rarely feels like work.
Pros
Positive, helpful and knowledgeable leadership.
Fun Work from Home Position!
With the right team and management it's a wonderful place to work. Very flexible and allows me to stay at home with my children. Can be challenging to find host families but also very rewarding and fun.
Pros
learning new cultures, travel, meeting new friends
Cons
Can be stressful at times
No Support from Management
There is no support from management when there is a problem with a student. You are expected to keep the student in your home even if you don't have room for them until you can find another home for them with no help from management.

Managers forbid you to contact the home office with problems and upper management does not respond to emails when there is an emergency situation. Would not recommend working for this company.
Pros
You get to meet tons of people from other countries.
Cons
Upper management does not take responsibility in helping with problems.
Modern slaves
Positive work as I place students in homes and make monthly visits
International Student Exchange has given me the opportunity to work with host families and foreign students within my own schedule. It is a flexible job and I find it enjoyable to meet the students and work with them and the host families throughout the year.
Pros
Flexibility in schedule
Cons
Not highly compensated
Horrible company
This company has absolutely no care about federal compliance, taking as much as possible foreign exchange students and placing many of them in horrible homes. When the children complain, they force them to sign papers saying that they have a bad behavior or threating to send them back home... Many rea reps don't screen properly the families and it happened that some of them were left in really bad environments. I just feel sad for their parents thinking about their children abroad and that's why I decided to leave this job, I felt too bad working for this company
Pros
No pros
Official response from International Student Exchange
October 17, 2016
Hello,

We are very sorry you did not have a favorable experience with our organization, however we can assure that our organization retains a deep respect and commitment to federal compliance as is illustrated by our 3,000+ successful programs each year, which are completed in coordination with the D.O.S. We strive to provide the best experience possible for our students, families, and representatives. To ensure the safety and well-being of our students and families, each home must be rigorously screened by both our remote regional office staff and our compliance department located at our central office. Our applications require extensive background information, home photos, criminal background checks, and in-person visits.This is non-negotiable and each and every family that is accepted into our program must abide by these guidelines. As with all exchange programs, a situation may arise when a placement does not work out either due to compatibility issues or because a representative deems it necessary to relocate the student to ensure the success of their program. If this is the case, we employ a 24/7 support staff to assist students and families and, if necessary, relocate the student to a more suitable home. The well-being of our students and families ALWAYS comes first, and if your experience does not reflect this we would love to hear from you directly so we can work to remedy the situation immediately. You can email us at contact@iseusa.org. Thank you.
A great program to work for if you get the right supervisor to help you.
Working from home can be quite challenging. Talking with people by phone, email, skype, instant messaging, and facebook brings a lot of variety. The goal is to find, hire, and train people to find good homes for high school exchange students and then become a friend to them and to the student. You work with the school, community, and various organizations. I learned to think outside the box when it came to recruiting and promoting student exchange. The management and co-workers are all very pleasant and supportive. The hardest part of my job was the lack of support I had from my direct supervisor. I was given no training, no direction, no return calls or emails, which ultimately lead to my dismissal. The most enjoyable part is working with some really great people, making friends and watching students and families bond. Nothing brings more satisfaction than knowing you had a part in bringing them together and helping them become a family for life.
Pros
Earn international trips, great health coverage
Cons
having a poor supervisor
Not Suggest unless have good networking
The salary actually is good UNLESS you know LOT of LOT of people who are kind enough to volunteer for becoming host families. Otherwise, this job is worst than be a sales person because it does not even have base salary.
Official response from International Student Exchange
October 17, 2016
Hello,

Thank you for giving our organization a try, we understand it is a unique position that is not suitable for all job-seekers. We appreciate the efforts of each and every representative in our organization. It is important to understand that the Area Representative position is not meant to be a typical sales job but rather meant to provide supplemental income, travel incentives, and the opportunity to make a real, positive impact in your community. The most successful Area Representatives are those with a volunteer spirit who truly believe in the importance of cultural exchange at the high school level and can transmit that passion to others within their towns.
Team work and creativity
Working for the State of Arkansas for over 25 years I learned a lot about team work. I had a wonderful boss who understood the importance of letting his employees be creative and yet work within the guide lines of the job. My program was a one person shop but we relied on the other programs in the office to provide a comprehensive approach to the problem of homelessness. My co-workers were always helpful and the programs they monitored were am important part of the services we were providing.
Pros
I loved what I did. Helping people each and every day
Cons
There was never enough money to do all that needed to be done.
Meeting and talking with a variety of new people daily
Working with exchange students and host families is never dull. You are learning something new all the time. It can be fast paced, or slow paced. You set your own hours. Your pay depends on how much and how hard you work.
Pros
You make your own schedule
Cons
Pay is based on commission
Brought the world to me
I met with local high schools to obtain permission for foreign student attendance. Once I had their permission, I would search for potential host families in that district, through display booths, presentations, and phone calls. I screened potential host families; if they met our criteria, I would search through our students to find at least 2 good matches for that family. Once the family chose a student, then I would provide information to both parties so they could contact one another and establish a relationship. I would then follow up with the school and enroll the student within their school. I would train the host families prior to the student's arrival. Once the student arrived, I would contact the family and student multiple times each month, in person, monitoring progress and troubleshooting any problems that arose. I would assist other representatives by providing home observations and reports. I would plan at least 3 activities a year for all of my students and families. I would also chaperon the Iowa State Student Leadership Conference. I would keep in close contact with the schools to monitor student performance, both academically and socially. When the school year came to an end, I would closely monitor each student to make sure they encountered no problems with their return home. After the students returned to their countries, I would meet and follow up with their host families, ask them if they would host again, and process them as needed.
Pros
I get to meet a lot of wonderful people! Also, I learn a lot about different cultures around the world.
Cons
Pay is low, only about enough to cover personal expenses. There are no insurance benefits.
My First Job
In high school I took this part-time job so I could afford to get my nails done. I know it sounds silly but I am firm believer that if there's a will, there's a way. When I got there I would take all the phone messages and pass them out to the other employees and forward any e-mails that came into the general e-mail box. When the phone wasn't ringing there was a table in the corner with papers in the order they were to be gathered and stapled in. I would take one from each pile and then staple them together to fill as many boxes as I could. Most of the other employees worked in the building next to the one I worked in so I rarely conversed with them except to drop off their messages or forward calls to them. There wasn't much to it but it was my first step towards becoming an working adult.
Amazing work helping international students experience American culture.
There is no typical day when working with international students and agents. I spend my time working with Information Technology, ensuring Compliance with the Department of State and helping to develop more effective ways to train our staff.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at International Student Exchange. Our community is ready to answer.