Internet Archive Employee Reviews

Stay away from this place!!!!!!!!!!!
dental assistant (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSMay 19, 2019
As an assistant, you have to suggest "Deep Cleaning" for many patients, which costs extra. They are all about the money, and they have no concern with you as an employer. The turn around is pretty high. Assistants, managers, and even dentists don't stay for too long. No lunch breaks! The management makes you clean toilets as part of your job! Bad practice and management!!!
Pros
Insurance
Cons
bad management, low pay, no raise, no lunch break
I worked better jobs
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 16, 2019
Now please excuse the subject working for this company was okay while s I was able to obtain a lot of skills that I did not have when I first started working there I was also able to brought out my network and learn about digitation Bitcoin and a whole lot of other stuff. After building a relationship with management and literally doing stuff outside of our work schedule such as friends and and whatnot when things happened in office and I was not able to complain about them that did not make me feel good and I was pretty much threatened with if you say something you lose your job and the other person will lose their job also so being in a hush-hush situation was not comfortable also coming in to this job under the assumption that I would be doing Admin work was a big shocker. Admin work that's running the front desk and all of it tells ordering supplies phones emails Etc also hosting any type of events and helping out with the ordering of the food the catering and Etc you would be held accountable to do bank statements match up receipts deposits anyting a nonprofit needs you to do you will do it and that can run a person thin. So what I recommend this job depending on what you're looking for I think this is an okay temp job for maybe somebody fresh out of high school going in the college some ilvolo those sorts.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Lack of HR department and they really use you work at your own risk and will fire you at any moment
fun place to work real kick back
Digital Scanning Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 19, 2018
It was a great place to work pretty easy temporary job. Our boss was real laid back but if you got him mad he would throw a tantrum. Overall not a bad place to work.
Pros
cool people
Cons
repetitive work
Really nice company
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILSeptember 19, 2017
Internet Archive is a good company. They care about their end users and employees. They always try to be fair with us and treat us very well. They do have hardly any vacation time, though, and a required unpaid break between Christmas and New years, though.
Pros
Relaxed, kind atmosphere
Cons
low pay, low time off.
Easy, cheap mindless work but not good for the long term
Book Scanning Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 2, 2017
I worked as a book scanning associate. The work is repetitive and somewhat mindless, but on the plus side you get to listen to music or podcasts all day.

I loved my coworkers and the boss of my location (IA has many locations across the states) but there were no opportunities for advancement in such a small office and no push from upper management in the organization to create opportunities or further learning for people wishing to stay with the company for a long time.

Plus, the pay is pretty bad. ~$10/hr which doesn't go far at all in Boston or the Bay area (two of IA's main offices).
Great Place to Work
DIGITAL ARCHIVIST (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 18, 2017
Flexible hours - freedom to work without immediate supervision. Excellent technical assistance. There are quotas but easy to meet and exceed if you follow established procedures. Cutting edge of industry niche.
Pros
Off-Site Management, Tech Savy
Cons
Lower pay range
Great Mission, but Not Worth It.
Partnership Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 16, 2016
The founder has a great heart, but the company is beyond disorganized. If you want to learn, grow, and be mentored, don't expect it from here.
Start up
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San FranciscoJune 25, 2015
Company can be ruthless with hiring and firing. They dont care about who you are and what you do, if someone doesnt like you your gone all for personal reasons.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Great people, cumbersome politics.
Crawl Engineer (Former Employee) –  San FranciscoOctober 10, 2013
Being at the Internet Archive was like taking a break from my career. It was worth some time, and I love the people there, but as I settled into my role the internal politics of the IA mired my attempts to get anything worth doing done.
Pros
High profile, reputable institution, likable coworkers
Cons
low pay, cumbersome politics
Amzaing Mission Drivin
Book Processor (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INAugust 9, 2013
My experience with the Internet Archive so far has been one of my all time favorite jobs and the most gratifying. It's an amazing mission driven nonprofit with a fantastic goal of preserving written text in an electronic format for future generations to enjoy and learn from long after the paper has and ink has faded! My director, Jeff Sharpe, is a great flexible an understanding boss! Sometimes the only difficult part of the job is getting over how monotonous it can get, but in order to combat that your able to get up and ask to learn some new aspect of the book scanning process with makes it new fresh and interesting again! So far I've been able to learn tons of things about open source software that I would have never had the opportunity to learn before my time here!
I have learned new technologies
QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 7, 2013
Management was good.

Love to work in IT culture.

Learned new technologies and work hard.
I miss my boss and co-workers, everyone was real nice.
Digitized Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 12, 2012
I loved coming to work everyday. Everyone got alone and worked hard together. The hours where great. We always had potlucks.
Pros
free lunches sometimes and alot of potlucks.
Fun and productive workplace
Digitization Specialist (Former Employee) –  San FranciscoSeptember 27, 2012
A typical day greet all of the coworkers while we are grabbing our books heading to our computers to go and sign and so w could get our hours. The management was real good they stayed on top of everything that was going on in the office. The hardest part of job was turning so many pages a day other tan that everything was great enjoyed the job very much it was just too bad they could afford to keep us all.
Pros
enjoyable enviroment the people were great like family
Cons
funny times for breaks and stuff
Interesting projects with rare books
Onsite Manager & Book Loader (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 21, 2012
Internet Archive had lots of opportunity to take on responsibility and help develop scanning procedures for misc. projects.