Interstate Batteries Employee Reviews

Productive is not the word.
Regional Sales Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  VirginiaApril 13, 2019
Management has no real clear view on ware they are taking the company . Too may indecision and we are left in limbo. They just hire and fire at the employees expense.
Pros
great money.
Cons
Always wondering if you have a job or not.
Customer Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Selma, CAMarch 28, 2019
I worked At All Batteries the retail side of the company and it is usually laid back and a chill place to work. My mangers were really good and supportive of their employees.
Good
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Flemington, NJMarch 27, 2019
its generally a really good environment. although the work has some heavy lifting, but it pays decently well and it works if youre trying to make some money.
Warehouse work
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAMarch 26, 2019
Warehouse work is constant and you are never able to get caught up as their is almost always something more to do. Can be stressful at times to be behind and have more work stack up. Job is relatively fun as warehouse environment is laid back.
Pros
Breaks, Compensation, Bonus
Cons
Health care, Wage, Workload, Labor intensive
Value-driven private company that develops employees
Senior GIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 25, 2019
This company has built a reputation of Value to the customer and community as well as fostering the development of employees. Job positions are available across the US and Canada.
A great place to work and get your feet wet.
Route Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Garner, NCMarch 24, 2019
The day usually started at 5-6am and you drove around 250 miles round trip door to door sales of automotive batteries.I learned everything about the product to be productive and make the selling process easier.Mangement was awesome until the company was sold from corporate to individual owner.The employees lost a lot of benefits, incentives and some lost respect for the name of the company and the product.There began to be more and more new faces as people quit the job.The hardest part of the job was not knowing if you were going to keep your job. As months went on all you heard was the owner not making enough money to keep the doors open.So commission percentile was cut by 2.5% over 8 months leaving the sales team to fall apart.What i enjoyed most about the job was being outside and meeting new people while building on the old ones.Sales were extremely easy as you learned the customers needs and built a personal relationship with each client.
Pros
Free will to move around
Cons
no breaks, sell of the company made it a hard place to go everyday and continue to be happy
Management makes your job, no matter what it is, a very stressful & hostile environment!!
Office Associate/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJMarch 20, 2019
Don’t bother working for them, they will work you to the bone, then stab you in the back when you’re not looking!! Best part is, upper management & HR will side with your General manager!! So don’t bother complaining about any because there will be a target on your back till they get rid of you for a stupid, made up reason!!
Pros
No pros!
Cons
Everything you can think of! Management is #1
great company
wharehouse worker/ sub driver (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INFebruary 19, 2019
great open door policy with management. everyone was willing to help each other with any task. learned a lot from the bosses and other workers. family friendly company
Pros
relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Was the best once upon ago, in a galaxy far far away
Route Service Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 30, 2019
Interstate Batteries of St. Louis IOT, had at one time the best people in the system from the bottom up. General Manager and Warehouse Manager were awesome to work for, the route managers/hotshot drivers broke their backs to get the job done. Then purpose and values got in the way. Sorry excuse for policy, ignorant management from corporate and other butt kissing so called Christians who would step on and over their own mothers ruined it. Reinvent the wheel. Shoe salesman from Joplin has hard time hearing or breathing because he's a DWE, but this God fearing individual fits your core values? A computer cannot generate sales. It can help, but it will never replace hard work and good management. What goes around comes around, enjoy your conference call, algorithm erosion mess.
Pros
Cons
Too many Chiefs with no balls and not enough Indians
Great working environment and productive day as always
Management/Marketing (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 30, 2019
Being with Interstate for the amount of time I was there, I learned so much about myself and about the principle Interstate hold dear to itself. I wake up wanting to go to work simply because I love and enjoy everyone that i work with. We were allow to be ourselves and respect each other and their beliefs and that was the for me what made our workplace so special. And sure our we all had our ups and downs and the hard times but we learn to work together and help each other finished each task. Overall we enjoy our work in the hard times and in good times simply because we worked together to achieve our goal.
Pros
Buying each other lunch and free lunch twice a month.
Absolutely no structure when hired
Market General Manager (Former Employee) –  West Berlin, NJJanuary 30, 2019
I took over aa distributor that had been unsuccessful in the past. There were so many issues that were not disclosed at the time I was hired. My immediate supervisor worked out of state and offered very little direction or support.
They Don't Care About the Little Guy
Warehouse Lead (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 22, 2019
Some areas of home office are good to work in. Other areas outside of home office they really overwork you. They don't care very much about the little guy.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
Overwork some employees, some management not appreciative of your long hours or hard work
Good place to work. It was like a family. We did some great work with some fun mixed in.
PURCHASING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 22, 2019
It's a great company with a great mission statement. There's more to a job and life than making money, and the people and managers at Interstate know that.
Pros
Paid volunteer time, inspirational free lunches, good benefits, family atmosphere.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 16, 2019
Great work enviroment. Great place to advance within the company. Felt more like a family than just a job.I enjoyed everything that this job had to offer and was let down when they had to let us go.
Route Sales
Route Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 14, 2019
Route sales driver is 530am-7pm (or later) Monday thru Friday.
Managing several dealers, and customers per day.

Enjoyable is working with customers and getting to know them personally.

Being able to have your own route truck and working somewhat alone.

Management: Poor
HR: None/Poor
Reviews with Employees: Poor
Pay: Poor
Pros
Running your own route.
Cons
Lack of communcation, attention to detail, time management with office.
Horrible management
Warehouse Worker/ Driver (Former Employee) –  Lake Zurich, ILJanuary 8, 2019
Company has a manager looking out for himself and his goals to try to move up the ladder. Heavy favoritism shown to his hired employees. Management does not like to be asked questions and would like to have a staff of puppets so no one questions when they do things wrong. No worries about safety as their safety champion is often disregarded when pointing out hazards to others. Overall very poorly run company with people who have no prior battery knowledge running the company.
Pros
Great health insurance and 401k plan
Cons
fun place to work with great morals
Assistant market general manager (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAJanuary 1, 2019
Upper management has the best intentions for their team members. The company is driven by a faith based set of ideals. Days can be long for rout service drivers. Pay is good if you can out in the work.
Interstate Batteries is a great place to work!
Facilities Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 14, 2018
Interstate Batteries invests time and resources into their employees. Competitive salary and great benefits.

great culture and excellent leadership. They have a passion for community and family at Interstate Batteries that is 2nd to none.
Pros
Lots of Pros
Cons
not so many cons
Franchise with shady sales practices
Sales (Former Employee) –  columbia moDecember 7, 2018
multiple franchises trained to cheat and mislead patrons and clients. warranty Management will say anything to get the customer hooked but do not follow through on initial sale or honor warranty
Cons
management has low ethical threshold
Lack of communication and understanding
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 2, 2018
I worked as a warehouse worker for two years.
Daily tasks include, but are not limited to:
Process cores
Charge old and new stock
Receive and ship orders
Deliver batteries to local shops
Answer phones
Help walk in customers
Test and clean batteries for resale
Clean warehouse (sweeping, cleaning cluttered areas, organization)
Count rout trucks
Stock racks with new batteries
...All this among other tasks (too many to list)

In a typical day, with my coworker, I easily lifted roughly 200 batteries. All ranging between 15-180lbs.

There are safety guidelines that have to be followed. Because of these, certain tasks take longer. This is one instance where management does not pay attention. No matter how perfect you are at following the guidelines given to you by corporate all management sees is that something has fallen behind. If rotates are not the most important, adjustments are. If you're working on the adjustments they want to know why the rotates aren't done. They don't see that you are spending your time working on one of your many tasks, they just see what you haven't yet worked on.
One big issue was dealing with phone calls and walk in customers. One call or customer can easily take 5-30 min. With that knowledge management still expects you to do the same amount of work. So, if you have a project that takes you 40min to complete and 30min of that is taken up by helping a customer the response is "I don't get why you can't get it done. It's your job. You just have to hustle more."
There is never any "reasons" why something didn't get done. There are only
  more... "excuses". This makes for a very stressful work environment because even if you feel like you have been doing a good job and keeping up with many of your daily tasks there is always a fear that you will get in trouble for something else.

The only thing that management notices is the numbers, not the quality. You can make a customer very happy with your service but because that customer caused you not to finish your rotates, that means you're in trouble.

Overall, the work is fine. I enjoyed the job a lot. However, management made it so I felt unsafe and not cared for. I would not recommend anyone work for my location unless there are some serious changes.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
too many tasks for one person, severe lack of communication, favoritism by management