Interstate Companies Inc Employee Reviews

Good people and managers
Diesel Technician (Current Employee) –  Williston, NDOctober 8, 2019
Im 51 never have I looked forward to work until interstate. Couldn’t be more happy. The Williston branch manager down to the mechanic is very helpful and understanding. Plenty of advancement and training. All you need is the want to learn. Good place for the beginner mechanic or the well seasoned tech
Pros
Management, work family balance
Cons
Can’t think of any
productive, fast pace, busy, advancement
Technician (Current Employee) –  Istate. Sioux Falls, SDJune 26, 2019
I have been with Istate Sioux Falls for 8 yrs now. started off rocky but service manager got changed and has turned into a great place to work. management is straight forward with you. They give you direction and their expectations of you. Management pushes you for further education and will send you to class when ready. great place to work, good pay and benefits.
Belittling and degrading
Driver (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COOctober 13, 2018
Never have I been treated as bad at a job then by his company. If one person does not like you then the rest follow suit. They belittle and degrade you to the point of no return. They promise you 80+ hours a week and you barely do 50, and even then your trying to scramble to find work to do so you “look busy”. OSHA violation after violation putting your heath and safety at risk.
Pros
Decent hourly wage
Structured Environment, Team Players
Office (Current Employee) –  USAJuly 19, 2018
Interstate Companies is a well-balanced, thriving company. The employees have a symbiotic relationship that make it easy to work as a team. Everybody's role is important and crucial to the success, and I believe that people understand this. The employees focus on the customer to insure that we will have customers for life.

Management style is dependent on the person -- there are both micro-managers and free-range- it can make or break the morale quickly.

The hardest part of the job is having co-workers that do not follow the culture of the company motto: "Pride in Service", with every aspect of their job.

The most enjoyable part of the job is having co-workers that come together for a resolution to focus on shortening downtime for the customer that is on a strict schedule.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Communication throughout the company could be better
Caution
Senior Technician (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTJuly 2, 2018
Can be a great company to work for as long as management is kept on the side lines. Anything above a shop foreman becomes back stabbing and undercutting. Pay is less than the average for the jobs performed. Management makes a point of keeping a team of favorites in the building and bullying the rest out. Technicians and parts department work well in the building together but the communication is horrendous for every other aspect. They make sure to hook you in saying they will send you for technical training but never do.
Pros
Teammates in the shop.
Cons
Poor communication, bullying, threatening behavior
Top notch company
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee) –  MPLS, MNJune 5, 2018
Prove yourself, work hard & find balance in friendships. Appreciation is shown throughout the year. Opportunities will present itself and it's up to you to go for them. Great work and life balance. Very flexible in regards to appointments and life issues that come up. I've worked for many companies, Interstate has been one of the top three I've worked at. You have to experience several poorly ran companies to truly know and appreciate when you've found a gem.
Pros
Busy, work independently, grill outs, fruit/donut Friday, Christmas party, birthday celebrations, 401k match, yearly raises, benefits & flexibility.
Cons
Lack of communication within depart, lack of consistency in performing tasks between team members.
Most poorly run business
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILMay 18, 2018
Poor unskilled management. To much office help. Not qualified help. Fired all the real technicians to save money and hire people from quick lubes. Would never take a truck there. Place is a joke.
Pros
Leaving the company
Lies upon lies
Service Advisor/Writer (Former Employee) –  Altoona, IAApril 18, 2018
Shortly after being hired Management completely changed. Was hired for days, ended up on 2nd shift.
Was told that I would be put on days, never happened.
New General Mgr. was brought in, the lies became worse. Could not trust anything he ever said. Moral was low. Other employees besides GM were great.
Just too many lies. Harassed about pay. Then tried to move me to another department for less pay.
Had to leave. GM just couldn't be trusted.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Manager
growing business
Laboratory Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 7, 2017
Fast paced growing business with increased opportunity for employment. MLT and MT still needed for all shifts a place to get basic lab experience. More benefits to come in the near future.
Misleading management.
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTJuly 11, 2017
I worked for this company in 2012, they lied to me during the interview process, once I was on the job my duties changed, poor communications with my superintendent, and was black balled after this experience. Be carful with this company.
Great Company
Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 12, 2017
Great company to work for. Training is provided, and management is willing and able to provide feedback and continuous mentoring if needed. Positive environment. Positive leadership within management.
Job vs Career
Employee (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 1, 2017
Various types of positions at this place. Heart of the company is its techs, followed by the sales team. Upper midwest locations, some of the cities are weird.
Excellent company to work for
Diesel technician (Current Employee) –  Gillette, WYAugust 26, 2015
This company spends a lot of capital to make sure there are the proper tools for the job. If you are willing to put in the time, they will train you in a wide variety of applications including medium, large diesel engines, transmissions, construction, mining, on or off road. This is a big company that feels like a small run shop, everyone from bottom to top listens to input and feedback. I would highly recommend working for this company.
Internal Growth and Positive Work Environment
Bearing Salemsan (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDAugust 25, 2015
Interstate is a fun place to work and it has a positive work environment. I've been here almost 3.5 years and couldn't be happier. Interstate is a big enough company that we aren't a mom and pop shop with only one or two locations but we are small enough that you don't have that corporate red tape and politics. We are privately owned and don't have to answer to share holders which is a huge plus for me, since 10 years prior to working here I worked for a very large corporation. Interstate is all about promoting from within. All of the current managers in my branch were actually promoted from within our branch and not outside hires.
Pros
Good work environment, Room to Grow within Company
Cons
401K Match Could be Better
Great company to be a part of!!!
Diesel Technician (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTAugust 20, 2015
You get what you put in. There are tons of opportunities for training. Advancement is the same. All you have to do is apply yourself and show management you are interested in being a part of the company. There are endless possibilities and directions Interstate offers, all sizes of diesel engines, Allison Transmission, transport refrigeration, on and off highway applications and many more. All the training offered is by factory certified instructors. I have been treated great by Interstate employees, no matter their position. I highly recommend this company for employment.
poorly managed shop.
Fleet mechanic (Current Employee) –  Forest Lake, MNJanuary 24, 2014
I liked working here except for the pay and the second shift hours. Ultimately forcing me to quit.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Interstate Companies Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.9InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Interstate Companies Inc Reviews by Location

Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?