Interstate Hotels & Resorts Employee Reviews

I just fit right in
Area Director of Engineering (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 13, 2018
Obviously the work is arduous and stressful at times, but over all I found it extremely satisfying and fulfilling. The daily routine is always interesting, however if your looking for an easy job, this is not the environment. Home and work life balance is not there during peek season, so brace your self and have fun, while maintaining a smile.
Pros
Great people, great environment, great benefits.
Cons
When its busy, its busy...Some holiday work
This place is always busy and will keep you on your toes.
Sales and Catering Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNDecember 1, 2018
This place would be good except the director of sales runs the hotel with no checks or balances. She is not happy unless she has a target to get rid of and will go to any length including eliminating a whole department to get rid of someone she feels has crossed her. The benefits and pat are good but is dealing with a dictator really worth it? She will say one thing one day then say the exact opposite a month later and be upset with you for not reading her ever changing mind. If you are willing to bow down and kiss her feet this is the place for you. Otherwise I would avoid until that problem is taken care of.
Pros
Great pay and benifits
Cons
Poor managment that will change the rules.
Terrible management
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 5, 2019
I really liked the job... Until the hotel got sold and they took over as management. That is the main reason why I left. How is it possible that a manager of a Marriott hotel doesn't even know how to check in a guest? A lot of people left when they took over and we were completely understaffed. They didnt care at all, manager will leave the hotel at 5 pm leaving only one front desk agent on a busy friday night. Only time he will come to the front desk was to collect money from the register. Terrible! They keep giving overtime to everyone and making everyone overwork. Couldn't get any days off as there was no one to cover your shifts. I really liked the job and it was such a shame they took over because everything just felt apart.
Pros
Discount on other Marriots
Cons
Poor management
Hostile
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, CODecember 26, 2018
Theft is common, staff stealing from guests each other and the hotel. No wonder manager seems angry, staff drinking, underage drinking and drug use while at work.Verbal and physical altercations, if reported managers/staff will retaliate.Staff gets 50% off meals, depending on who you are there free.
Stay away, it's not hard to find a better place to work.
Pros
It was nice to leave
Cons
Management on down
Poorly managed properties with even poorer Upper management
FRONT OFFICE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 17, 2018
I was previously employed with WLS and was transitioned to the Interstate portfolio when they acquired RLJ hotels. The transition was far from smooth. We were provided little to no information form either company. Once on the Interstate side of things there was ZERO corporate accountability to the hotels. When seeking answers we had very few people to reach out to. Many hotels were left understaffed due to managers leaving the company. We were not provided with adequate and realistic financial goals to run the hotels properly.

They also have zero chances for satisfactory upward mobility. Its really the blind leading the blind.
Poor management, always understaffed, no appreciation
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 21, 2018
Lots of overtime hours available if you enjoy working 10 hour shifts, never enough housekeepers to complete jobs do everyone ends up having 20-30 rooms per day. Managers are rude and never appreciate the hard work everyone does.
Pros
Job security, never have to worry about loosing your job because there’s never enough workers as is
Cons
Management, poor comunication, lack of respect
Horrible work environment and unprofessional management
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAOctober 13, 2018
In the little time that I worked here the turnover rate was insane! I witnessed 3 different people leave to my knowledge, it was probably more than that. The management gossiped constantly and treated the employees who are honest with them so rude, which made working there very uncomfortable. The management treated a lot of guests unfairly and were very rude to a lot of guests with pets, even though pets were allowed at the hotel. Overall the most stressful work environment I've ever worked in. I had to quit on the spot due to the chaotic and unhealthy environment of working here. I will NEVER work with this chain again.
Pros
delicious lunch and descent discounts
Cons
horrible management, short staffed, horrible hours
Banquet Server
Banquet SErver (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PADecember 15, 2018
When I started working for this location, everything was fine. They treated me like family. A few months into my time there, my Banquets director left for another position. His replacement started out fine, and then quickly became problematic. The rest of upper management doesn't see that he's the problem.
The various departments don't understand how to work together, even though they claim they do. Most people don't understand the meaning of the word "team" and want you to do things that are wildly outside your job description but are within theirs.
The hardest part of the job would have to be trying to get multiple things done in a short time constraint while other people aren't keeping up with their jobs, resulting in extra work and not finishing on time.
The best part of the job is interacting with the clients and seeing how happy you can make them.
Absolutely Awful
Management (Former Employee) –  OhioOctober 1, 2018
Interstate Hotels & Resorts does not invest time and money into their employees. Our property was extremely understaffed due to the ridiculous budget that was provided. There were months were we were told not to order anything and save money and cover every single issue from a guest who just ended up screaming at our hourly employees. An absolute nightmare! Management worked 12 hours per day just to get through.
In a great location - Crystal City
Sales and Use Tax Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 4, 2018
Fresh fruit provided daily. The kitchen has a great atmosphere with the music system and a view of the Airplanes taking off. Metro accessible. Company provides metro fare assistance and paid parking.
Pros
Very talented people works for Interstate
Cons
Company is not doing enough to keep these talented people
Not very busy but seems busy due to short staffing.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXOctober 8, 2018
Poor management! Chef only there for pay check, spends most of his time outside smoking. Sous Chef has no cooking or sanitary experience. Neither has people skills so cooks often quit. The HR director is no help to associates, she stands behind the chefs.
Pros
Free Meals in cafeteria
Cons
Cafeteria food is always in the temperature dangerzone or expired.
Absolutely not
Laundry Aide (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MISeptember 7, 2018
It was two different worlds there. If you worked in the main hotel, the part where visitors and guests visit, it looks and functions like a great hotel. The part you don't see, like the kitchen or laundry, is terrible. High turn over rate, terrible hours, awful work conditions. The pay rate for laundry was a joke for all the work you're expected to do. It was horribly hot, hostile staff due to poor management, no advancement and no clear direction of day to day operations. The paid lunch was pitiful. The bathrooms and locker area looked awful. Not clean at all. I would not recommend working there unless you work upstairs in the main hotel.
Pros
Room discounts
Cons
Pretty much everything
management can make or break your employment
waitress (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHNovember 5, 2018
absolutely loved working at the Garden Inn. Everyone was friendly and appreciative. The place was clean and organized. Then management changed and I would not recommend anyone work in food and beverage. The lack of respect, communication and common sense is baffling.
Cons
Management is unprofessional
Untapped Potential
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 3, 2018
Interstate took over from the previous management company. While there is so much potential in the staff who haven't already run for the hills , that potential will never be realized with the current management teams. There are lots of people in charge but absolutely no leadership. Most of the staff who remain are all burned out and are simply getting a check and going through the motions and it shows. The hardest part of this job is figuring out which face your coworker is wearing that day. These people are not your friends.
Pros
Hotel Discounts, minamal effort to keep job
Cons
Unqualified Leadership, Inappropriate office relationships that effect promotions
Poor management lack support
Front Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 8, 2019
This property needs serious help the building is ran down and needs renovation.

Management lacks professionalism and are all for self.

Fire the whole team shut the building down, get new management and start fresh

This building is commend roaches and mice and full of bedbugs
Money driven management company
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 6, 2018
Job atmosphere changed as soon as Interstate took over management of the property. They started getting rid of positions altogether, and looking for any excuse to let go of workers. Very clearly driven by money and greed. Supplies and inventory for hotel compared to previous management company was atrocious, and there was never enough of something. With Interstate, you get the feeling that its not if you get let go, but when.
Cons
Poor management, stressful work environment
long hours no appreciation
housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIAugust 12, 2018
worked at courtyard Marriott for 3 months. got terminated right before my 90 days. which as a full time employee, i would have got benefits then. i worked my butt off 6 or 7 days a week. minimum of 10 hour days. they expected you to clean 25 rooms a day at least by yourself but then get frowned upon for overtime. i didn't mind the job but i would never work for this company if asked again.
Cons
no breaks
strictly work
Houseman (Current Employee) –  Amesbury, MAOctober 11, 2018
Other than the few people that actually treated me as i should be treated, most of the time I was being treated as a child. Instead of the manager coming to me with problems that he had with my work, he'd have someone else come and tell me.
Pros
Great employees, free breakfast.
Cons
Bad management, bad work environment
Lots of Travel
Director of Finance - MgrTaskforce and Training (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXDecember 18, 2018
I filled in for vacant decentralized properties as well as trained the new controllers coming on board. Part of my position was to assist in transitions of properties leaving or coming into the management portfolio
Pros
travel
Cons
travel
Interstate Hotels & Resort is one of the best corporations to work
Director of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Dana Point, CASeptember 30, 2018
Excellent corporation to work, great benefits and opportunities to grow.
My career started as a Housekeeper/Dishwasher and along the way I have the opportunity to learn and grown within the company.
Pros
Comparable benefits
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Interstate Hotels & Resorts. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight