intertek Employee Reviews

Clicks and racism
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, TXJanuary 16, 2019
If your black watch your back...facts. Never in my life had I experienced such ignorance since I worked with this company,I’ve read and heard of it .but to experience it was .im at a lost for words...if you take a job there be ready to pull out your resume again because trust me you will be looking.
Pros
Your paid a salary
Cons
To many to count
Long hours, great pay
Petroleum Inspector (Former Employee) –  Chickasaw, ALJanuary 15, 2019
Great place for a single man to work. Its hard to get on here but if you do you can make good money. Your on call 24 hrs a day. So some days are long but i have worked more than 24 hrs straight. Basically if work is going on you gotta be there. Great pay raises usually 1.00 or more. Lots of hurry up and wait.
Pros
Company truck, phone, and computer good wages
Cons
Forced to work off days, no family life
Terrible Management
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJanuary 8, 2019
Intertek as a whole is a very unorganized company. The management lacks in drive and also professionalism. When starting the position there was no training given to provide new engineers correct knowledge of the position to be successful.
Pros
Travel and benefits
Worst Job I Ever Had
Global Service Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2019
I would not think of recommending this company to anyone.

All Intertek seems to care about is the current months revenue. The company is too cheap for their own good. I witnessed new lab employees getting 4+ year old laptops. Some of the stuff was so old, people could not even do their job effectively. I was once denied a $20 USB thumb drive because my manager at the time wanted some other group to pay for it. The IT infrastructure in many US locations is obsolete and goes down more often then it should: Few managers want to spend money on hardware or the people to support it. Nothing but fire drills to get systems back up and running with the business screaming at you because they could not do their job.

In the Information Technology Department, there is no room for advancement. There is not even an allocated budget for IT training. Pay is not great. Raises are minimal. One year, they even screwed me out of most of my bonus.

In many cases when Intertek acquired another company, IT management refused to insist that the acquisition integrate into the central IT support model. This not only resulted in shadow IT groups within the business that basically did what they wanted to, but it ended up costing Intertek a fortune in the long run which no one seemed to care about as there was no immediate expense for the integration.

During my tenure, upper IT management didn't seem to have a clue on how the "real world" worked. They often just hired people they favored from jobs they had held at other companies ... and they didn't even try to cover up the fact
  more... that this was happening. I applied for one internal job and during my interview was told that the job was already filled by someone who they presumably just found by canvasing the internet.

The stress is enormous and they just throw you away when they are done with you. Please don't work here unless you are truly desperate for the money!
Pros
Hired me at 58! Peers and laste supervisor were great people.
Cons
Does not value employees, no training for IT, poor upper IT management.
Not so good review of company
Lead Archivist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 2, 2019
I liked doing my tasks everyday. I liked some of the people I worked with.

I didn't like or agree with management. I was a temp to hire but was laid off a week before Christmas after being told I was going to be converted.

I wouldn't recommend working for this company unless you really need a job.

I am surprised this company is still in business.
Sinking Ship
Ops (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXDecember 30, 2018
In one word Sad. This office is like that old dog that you just can’t find it in your heart to put down. Favoritism is rampant. Pay is unfair. No time off. Only concern is getting the job done. Work / Family life is non existent. Equipment supplies is poorly kept. No one cares about the quality work. Management is ineffective and unqualified for their roles Going to upper management does no good. Majority of the people here are waiting for the right offer from the competition. Think twice before applying here.
Pros
Benefit.
Cons
Poor management over worked understaffed no personal life.
Productive fun place to work
Petroleum Inspector (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXDecember 19, 2018
Plenty of hours, almost more than one person can handle. Training in all levels of products they inspect. Paid millage for use of personal vehicles. Provided uniforms.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Hostile working environment
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXDecember 4, 2018
Engineers act as salesmen. They must meet a quota every month. There is no training for the new employee. You learn as you work on a project. There is high employee turnover. Every month, engineer either resigned or hired. Engineers worked average 60 hours per week in order to keep their jobs.
Pros
Work is fun. Testing new appliances every day.
Cons
There is no life balance in Intertek.
Wonderful workplace with no added stress
LAB TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PANovember 21, 2018
This company was nothing but amazing to their employees and exceeded expectations to help employees grow and learn. I would highly recommend this company to anyone who wants their efforts to be noticed!
Pros
Relaxed work environment, great office space
Do not work here
CAD Designer/Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MINovember 15, 2018
I produced good work that was on time. Intertek had an event whose attendance was mandatory, but this was poorly explained. I was docked a half day as a result of my failing to attend. I told Intertek that I disagreed with the disciplinary action, but I would do whatever they needed me to do. My manager showed me how to change my timecard, I did so, and went back to work. The next day, I was labeled a "poor fit" by a young lady who had never met me, and I was fired that day.
Pros
High turn-over means there is no real sense of "seniority"
Cons
Totalitarian environment.
Basic
Chemist (Current Employee) –  East JavaNovember 8, 2018
Intertek is a big company, good to improve our skill. Having such a great boss who always care about all employe. If we can't do something, they will gave a trial and then we try by our self.
Contract Inpestor International Shipments
Contract Inspector (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 3, 2018
Worked as a Contract Inspector Inspecting in the Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois and sometime Tennessee. Inspected shipment and containers shipping to Sudia Araba, Nigeria ect. completed the document for the country the product was shipping to. Completed the Container Log and provided to Interteck to review and send to the Importer once approved, Intereck issued the certificate of Conformance for Customs clearance. I was payed per inspection worked ;load was based on Inspection. Left to take Sr. Quality Engineer I with Black Diamond Consultants at Zimmer.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Was not and employee of Interteck
technical and competitive work environment
Associate Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYOctober 26, 2018
constistantly growing company with many opportunities. typically worked everyday with low voltage telecommunication cable. Also occasionally work on safety project and high voltage test setups.
Good Company
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TXOctober 25, 2018
Slow to promote from inside. Large turnover. But overall great company to work for. Good safety program and support from management. A lot of favoritism in promoting.
Cut throat
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 24, 2018
Poor management in that they do not support their managers. They let you flounder so they don't have to own the situation. Very abrupt in the way they treat emploees.
Pros
Pay
Cons
bad management
great place
Petroleum inspector (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 21, 2018
awsome place to work. we hold contracts for p66 and all barge lines on the mississippi river. we do most of the petroleum inspections on the barges and most refineries.
Good experience
Petroleum Inspector (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXOctober 20, 2018
Very good learning opportunity but with few opportunities for growth and few incentives not only economic but motivational. Personally if you spend 2 years working consistently giving 100% of yourself without growth, it is hard to maintain your motivation, it becomes boring.
terrible culture
Anon (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILOctober 14, 2018
They paid "OK", but it wasn't enough to deal with the awful culture of the company. They value shareholder profits over everything, and have boasted increases followed by mass layoffs. You will only get promoted if you are within a specific clique within the office, and relational politics are toxic.
Dont do it.
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYOctober 10, 2018
They fail to pay their hourly paid employees overtime. Then if they do work overtime to get their work done, they get written up. No winning. This place sucks.
Operations Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAOctober 7, 2018
Small branch, family feel, enjoyed going to work everyday, friendly employees, approachable management, clear assignments, overall great environment to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at intertek. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight