ION Media Networks Employee Reviews

Management needs improvement
Operator (Former Employee) –  FLApril 11, 2019
The jobs are pretty easy going and the workplace is relaxed. Management needs to improve. There is a lot of nepotism and discrimination from upper management.
Pros
Team Events, Co-workers, Random Perks
Cons
Pay, Lack of advancement opportunities, Poor Management
My review
Traffic Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2019
The group that I work with is great. In terms of career advancement, it is extremely limited. There are also no pay raises. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my team which is a pleasure to work with.
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Suffolk, VAJanuary 7, 2019
I enjoyed working at ION Media. We worked independently at each location with corporate headquarters located in FL. I learned a lot working at ION about Business management and leadership skills that I am able to carry on with me as I continue to my next endeavor. Due to company restructuring is the only reason I am no longer employed by them.
They have an on site gym
Station Monitoring Technician (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLOctober 26, 2018
Good place to be if you don’t mind being stagnant. We did not get raises, and on top of that I witnessed new hires come in with a higher salary than dedicated and productive current employees. Micro management is strong here. They do give bonuses sometimes and some of the people are very knowledgeable and nice but with that being said I also have seen many knowledgeable and nice people fired for the smallest of issues. They are always downsizing departments it seems.
Pros
Luncheons
Cons
They give you yearly reviews but no raises.. ever
Beware
Executive Assistant to Chairman and CEO (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 30, 2018
Great company to work for with the exception of the CEO. He is rude and verbally abusive to everyone, including C-level executives. He rules through fear, which is not good for the staff morale. Most people leave after a very short period because of this. Benefits are great. They DO NOT give raises!
Good place to work if you have technical background
Station Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 21, 2018
Company has significantly downsized the number of employees at the station level, and everything is pretty much technical now, compared how stations were run several years ago. Much of the work requires monitoring our station signal.
Pros
occasional bonus (determined by corporate management)
Cons
No annual raise. Not a lot of opportunity to advance unless you have technical skills
Used to be a great place to work for...so many changes
SOM (Former Employee) –  WAApril 12, 2018
Company gave me a great opportunity for learning and advancement. Great people I used to work for. Completely new company now, many, many changes. All great for the company and their bottom line and executives salaries, but terrible for the "little guys". Not sure I'd recommend them now.
Pros
if you work at a local station, there are not that many people
Cons
no raises
A rather bad place to work. I would not reccomend
technical (Former Employee) –  FloridaMarch 10, 2018
After working there for many years, i had finally decided to leave. It was the best decision I had ever made. That company is awful to work for. We NEVER got a raise. the CEO unilaterally decides to NOT give any bonuses. NOTHING. Mood around the company is very poor. Others are leaving, the company has no loyalty to its employees. Upper management does not care AT ALL about employees. I would consider any other job than one at ion. nothing will change until the upper management changes its attitude.
Pros
I really cant think of anything good to say
Cons
Poor pay. bad magement.
Avoid at all costs
Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2018
I cant believe I have been stuck at this job for as long as I have. This is a terrible company to work for.. All they do is reduce their workforce to show that they save more money. Meanwhile the remaining employees have to doo all the work of the ones that were let go. Oh.. and NO RAISES!!! i mean nothing! I make less today then when I startd over 10 years ago! even with record profits and the big "trump tax break" this company chooses to do NOTHING for the employees. Yo may see a bunch of job postings... its because people are sick of it and are just leaving. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. ION MEDIA NETWORKS IS A BAD PLACE TO WORK!!!! Look at the other reviews. be very suspect of the glowing reviews. I believe they are false reviews put there by upper management to try and make the company look better. Find a current employee and ask them!
Pros
Cons
poor pay, no raises, no stability
Temporary Employee
Paralegal/Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 30, 2018
Worked in position as a temporary employee, can't truly speak to overall company had limited exposure to company policy and procedures. Can not comment on other divisions or personnel.
Pros
Environment was pleasant
Cons
Open floor plan
Inflexible working envrionment that did not let creativity flow.
Station Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  North Miami, FLOctober 25, 2017
I appreciated the longevity of allowing this company to provide a living for me. The culture did not provide a good working environment unfortunately. Lacked good communication. HR mostly sided with management on issues over the employees. Management overseeing the departments were rarely seen or heard from. It was unfortunate because you wanted to grow and develop the multifaceted skills many employees had. We were very versatile, but overtime our job duties were stripped and we were left with a shell of the job. The handful of employees that remain, have very little to do and their skill sets are eroding..
Pros
Comfortable easy low stress with plenty of time off
Cons
Company Culture was not very good, and lacked good communication.
"What? And give up Show Biz?!"
Standards & Practices Specialist (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLOctober 13, 2017
TV has been a great Career for me and ION has been the last 20 years of it. It's had it's ups & downs but I enjoy it here. I'd better as I've been here the majority of my working life.
Ion was a great place to work
TV Traffic Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 4, 2017
We had a very balanced team and worked together with limited Corporate supervision because we "rocked" as Corporate would say. There were some stressful deadline situations with political advertising but we always made it work. I enjoyed the feeling of being on a team and being rewarded for creativity and hard work.
Better places to work
Former employee (Former Employee) –  USASeptember 9, 2017
In the last 10 years, this company has laid off more people than it hired. When they actually hire people, they pay them more than the people working there. They have absolutely no loyalty to ANYONE.
Pros
Local stations are nice environment wise
Cons
They do their best to eliminate every job possible
Interesting Company
Assistant Regional Engineer (Former Employee) –  New London, CTAugust 14, 2017
Enjoyed the work. But I wished my skills could have been better utilized, and the management structure could have been different to enable greater productivity.
love working here, so professional and nice
Broadcast Technician (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 3, 2017
such a great place to work, I will miss it so much. management very nice and professional, so communicative about upcoming events and expectations. goals were clearly stated, and management always listened to employees and their suggestions.
Pros
great environment
Completely stagnent. No raises for 8 years
engineering (Current Employee) –  usaAugust 2, 2017
Despite the CEO claiming record growth and profit year after year, no raise, to increase in benefits, in fact, my check is less then it was 10 years ago. Management is terrible. nothing but lies and layoffs. Dont even think about working there. its terrible .
Pros
Cons
sub par pay
Television Network Operations
Senior Engineer, Advanced Technology (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJuly 9, 2017
24 hour broadcast operation with interesting work from studio, post production to engineering. Easygoing workplace culture, and very accountable on work assingment.
Pros
Special occasions and workplace performance goal achievement cebrations, lunches, dinners, etc.
Cons
24 hour operations and some over night work is required.
Great co-workers
Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2017
Worked directly with a good group of people but upper management was not the most open and communicative. Office is mostly open space with low cubicles.
Unorganized and 99% driven by politics vs results.
Manager (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 6, 2017
Don't recommend this organization for anyone that is is career minded. If you are just looking for a hold over job you will probably be ok but you must keep your mind set on leaving or you may become complacent and trapped.
Pros
Cons
Everything!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ION Media Networks. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.9InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

1.6Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight