Iowa Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Internship Position
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 2, 2018
Typical day at work will be similar to the last. Not much changes unless something breaks. I learned that the government is not the career path for me. I explored the world of asphalt and had hands on experience within the polymers community. I have no real experience with the management in the DOT, the people i worked under were great. The workplace culture has been diluted since they quit allowing the BBQs and other DOT community events. Otherwise it is easy to make friends and get to know the people you work around. The hardest part was leaving my coworkers and boss. I enjoyed learning the ins and outs of binder and all the testing methods required for a passing material.
Idot
Transportation Engineer Manager (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, IAOctober 17, 2018
Wonderful people and great work. Great benefits and you know you are really making a difference in the community. We do love our work and want everyone to get to their location safe and efficiently.
Fun and relaxing work place
Survey Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, IAAugust 12, 2018
Love my job, the atmosphere and the people I work with. I like working 40 hour weeks but I don’t always enjoy working long hours but I’m excited to try and move out of Iowa and see what else is out there
Pros
Fun job
Nice paced job
PAINT CREW - TEMPORARY (Current Employee) –  Albia, IAJuly 24, 2018
The work culture is nice. If you have a rainy day there is always something else they can have you doing. The management is really nice. The hardest part of the job is knowing what you are supposed to do for the day.
Good workplace
Highway Technician (Former Employee) –  Decorah, IA 52101July 12, 2018
I worked 38 years for the D.O.T. It provided me with much experience in road maintenance and public service. It is a state run agency so with that comes political challenges as far as union, advancement and income increases. The winter months could be hectic, dangerous and long but it gave me much pride knowing I was working to keep the general public safe.
Pros
Great Retirement
Cons
Management was not very complimentary.
Working for the DOT was a great job!!
Highway Tech (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMay 20, 2018
Each day at work was different. You seldom had the same job two days in a row, unless it was snowing. Loved the variety.The management when I lest was good. The boss was understanding.
Working with all men was easy too. As a woman with nearly always men, women came and left all the time, I was treated fair. I let them know not to use foul language and they respected that. The hardest part was being on call in the winter. The most enjoyable part of the job was working outside. Cold or hot it was great being out
Pros
Working outside
Cons
Being on call in the winter
Good place
Equipment Operator Senior (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 1, 2018
Great benefits, full health, full dental, plenty of time off with earned comp time and paid sick days and IPERS. Just getting tired of working overnights.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Night shift
Part time job
Snow plow truck driver (Former Employee) –  IowaMarch 8, 2018
I only worked part time. I enjoyed the job, it was nice to feel like I was helping keep people safe on the roads. The hours can be stressful, working over nights. The job was rewarding though and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a good paying part time job.
Challenging job
Clerk IV (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 26, 2017
Working at the Dept of Transportation, was a fun job, I enjoy working with the public.
There was lots of room for advancement.
DOT is a very challenging place to work, there is so much to learn and remember. You always had the resources you needed to complete your job duties.
Good environment
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, IADecember 19, 2017
Good and honest people to work with. Learnt a lot from my supervisor. Had field visits and discussed a lot about the existing issues in the field of construction.
Some pros, some cons
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 15, 2017
There are certainly offices and divisions that have a better workplace culture than others. My particular experience has been less than pleasant and energizing. I cannot say enough good things about the Agency Director and the direction that he would like to take the culture, however the area of the agency that I have worked in has not yet embraced that culture. There are tremendous people there, and an incredible opportunity to provide innovative solutions and services that greatly impact the citizens of Iowa. That is the most enjoyable part of the job - the opportunity to serve a greater cause.
Great job for starting out
Civil Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IADecember 12, 2017
This is a great job for starting out in Civil Engineering or Construction Management. Opportunity to get on the job-sites, test concrete, and see how problems are solved in the field.
Pros
Construction experience
Cons
No benefits
Great Internship and Co-op
Transportation Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Grimes, IANovember 9, 2017
The internship / co-op was informative and gave me insight into the fields of project management, transportation engineering design, and construction inspection.
Good work place
Transportation Design Technician (Former Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 5, 2017
Performs paraprofessional engineering design and may perform lead worker functions that involve all areas of multiple projects or works on major projects involving legal and politically sensitive issues;
Pros
Good Work place
Cons
low wage
Relaxed and Productive Workplace
Highway Technician Associate/ Part Time (Current Employee) –  Osceola, IAOctober 12, 2017
Working at the DOT provided a lot of learning and hands on experience for me. I was well trained and all of my coworkers were very helpful and courteous.
They believed in team work.
Seasonal Plow driver (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAAugust 26, 2017
Team work gets done in a safe , and working environment.
Did pre inspection of the Plow truck .
Got to work with some great people.
work with all types of equipment,
Pros
get great Pay . Great people to work for.
Cons
It was only seasonal work.
Great place to work and learn
Bridge Designer (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 23, 2017
I learned my bridge engineering skills at this place. The training and learning opportunities provided by Iowa DOT bridge department were really great for any young engineers. Ames Iowa was a great place to raise family.
Pros
Technical Training and Family Focus Culture
Cons
Remote Location of Ames Iowa
Productive and Fun workplace with great benefits.
Secretary II (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 6, 2017
Productive and Fun workplace with great benefits. People are easy to get along with. Flexible hours in some departments. Quit environment, I have always liked working for the Iowa Department of Transportation.
Great place to work as a student
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 2, 2017
Great bosses who make the transition from student to worker easy. They let you make mistakes without freaking out at you. They are willing to be flexible with hours and understand that you are a student first and an employee second.
Busy and fast pace.
Clerk I (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 11, 2017
I was so young back then. We all got along very well. We worked together in the attempt to help catch up. The management was gone much of the time, or fighting against each other.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere.
Cons
Not enough workers