Iowa State University Employee Reviews

Experience Review
Catering Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Scheman CateringApril 9, 2018
Opportunities were available but the overall experience could have been improved to better serve students to facilitate growth. Staff was professional overall, but little room for advancement.
Good time
Student Participant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 9, 2018
A lot of items of need are accessible through iowa state, however the issue would be how to access them. All your resources are there to succeed, but you need to be able to find the resources on your own.
Pros
collaborative
Cons
Can be slow paced sometimes
Was just an assistant
Professor's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 3, 2018
Had a good part-time job that helped with paying for expenses. Nothing serious, but I did learn a lot about the things I want to do in the future and to work hard to get there.
Pros
Short work
Cons
No advancement opportunities
Easy, relaxed time
Garden Docent (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 19, 2018
being a student employee was easy & payed well. convenient for mixing studying & working into the day. Good way to stay on top of finances while still being part of the university life.
Excellent Univesity
Building Manager - Memorial Union (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 18, 2018
I worked part time at my university. There is nothing negative about my university. I really liked working there. As far as my engineering is concerned I'm happy with the courses and facilities offered at ISU.
Good place to learn
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 7, 2018
. I am a PhD candidate at Iowa State University in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering specializing in Bioengineering. I have learned a lot of skills that help me to find nice jobs. I can use my PhD experience to start learning new areas.
Great Environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 25, 2018
I met a lot of great coworkers here and the management was good. Most of the tome I worked here it was busy, but I was fine with that because I dislike when I have nothing to do.
Time is flexible
Postdoc researcher (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 17, 2018
Working time is flexible if you work with a nice PI. It is really good for making a balance between work and family. Postdoc is more like a self-motivated job, so how much you can gain from this experience mainly depends on you.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Low paid
Great!!
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 11, 2018
I loved my time over there... very nice people and good place to live.. relatively cheap too...
only problem is its sort of middle of no where... but overall I will give 5 starts (out of 5)
Research
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 9, 2018
Research in a specific is always difficult! We are surrounded by genuine and caring people. The moto of “great employees only” not only acts as a core value, but truly encompasses our expectations of each other. As a team, we use each other to talk through situations, to stay sane after a rough day, and to push each other to go past our comfort zones. Sure, there are perks like cooking in the kitchen on your birthday month, carpooling and lunch programs, manufacturer trainings, but we also have book clubs, coaching, mentoring, and mindfulness training. It’s not about the perks it’s about the people. Because of the fast paced environment there can be some tougher days, but I do believe that comes along with any career path.
great place to work
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 3, 2018
Loved it! fun job getting to learn the ropes of engineering. Got to help in doing real research. Super cool job working with power tools and other random things
college town
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 1, 2018
teaching environment is well designed. however, graduate students are asked to do too much of teaching when they need to focus more on their research projects in order to get their degree.
research experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 30, 2018
working with my professor as a research assistant open my eyes to things you can do that is related to your major. This experience also in a way help you apply what you learn in the university. In this case process control dynamics. You learn to apply what you were taught in class in real life application.
A job that furthered my experience and knowledge.
Part-Time/Co-Op (Former Employee) –  Agricultural Water Management Research TeamJanuary 29, 2018
With the research team at the University I was only allowed to work 20 hours every two weeks but in those 20 hours I gained a great deal of knowledge. Collecting soil samples as well as water samples that was used to compile data on different types of fields was a typical work day. Being involved on the team improved my ability to work with others as well as my communication skills.
N/a
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 29, 2018
It is great to work at Iowa State University. It gives you a lot of experience in terms of research and teaching. I love to be a researcher in the stochastic optimal control area and teacher in the same area.
Clinicas
Summer Camp Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 28, 2018
Experiencia en dar clinicas y ayudar a niños en poder desarrollarse.
excellent working experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 24, 2018
Since it's my first time to be a research assistant, I have learned how to collaborate with my supervisor and colleagues. And due to the project was supported by 3M, we used to work more than 30 hours per week in order to meet their high standards. The hardest part of this job is we had to finish many tasks in a short period of time, however, it's also the most enjoyable part of the job, because what I had gained is not only the knowledge I learned but also the thoughts and the experience of how to complete a research project from conceiving a primary idea to implement very experimental details.
Nice atmosphere and easy to work with colleagues
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 23, 2018
The management was really nice and understanding, I chose when I wanted to work and they were very flexible with my schedule. Everyone was easy to work with and there to offer assistance if needed.
Pros
Nice people, flexible
Cons
Low pay, no benefits
Face to face with persons servicing
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 17, 2018
Worked towards a self-directed environment. Responsible for scheduling of work. Processes updated often by new equipment and procedures adding efficiency.

Employees are encouraged to work together on solving team problems.

Good work ethics by most employees. Morale gets low when processes change quickly before time to trial them. Longevity is the work force so can be tougher on them.

The groups could get together for lunch. Became close..
Pros
Benefits, self direction, shift times
Cons
Many changes in short period
Terrible weather and small city but fun place to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 15, 2018
If the weather was better and the city was bigger, I would have enjoyed Iowa state more. The campus is beautiful; however, some of the buildings are really old.