Iowa State University Employee Reviews

It's terrible, really.
Custodian 1 (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 13, 2019
Co-workers are your friends, at least some of them. There are some people that have been working there for over 20+ years, and have had absolutely zero advancement working as a Custodian.

The pay is just above the average jobs in Ames, being at $13.04 hourly. However, it can't even pay for the cost of living by yourself here in Ames, because they take most of your money away "thanks" to benefits. So, in reality, you make around $1700 a month. If you are trying to support a family, don't work here unless you have another spouse also working. This job doesn't cover any necessities, especially if your have student loans to pay off.

They also force you to work "mandatory weekends," therefore, you are forced to work 12 full days before you get a weekend off. The management is terrible, they don't care about you at all. In fact, they don't even know you exist because you are at the lowest pay grade scale.

There's also no "promotion" or pay increase for doing a good job. Just make your areas "look" average. Don't work too hard if you decide to work here. There's no reason to be the best because you get nothing out of it.

There are 2 supervisors that are decent, the weekend supervisor (2019) as of right now is absolutely garbage. The worst kind of person to really ask any questions because you just get yelled at, literally.

Getting time off is easy, as long as you ask weeks ahead of time. However, if you ask for a half day, it is quite easy to get. You get 12 hours of sick leave per month, and 8 hours of vacation time per month. Save your vacation and sick time
  more... for the summer, trust me, you don't want to work during that time. It's gross, hot and awful.

This is a very laborious job. If you want something relaxing, look else where. If you want to be paid $30k and above, look else where. If you want to clean for a living, take this job. It has great benefits and is likely to still be here within 20 years.

My advice to younger people 20's - 30's, go back to school. Get a graduate degree and move the heck out of Iowa!
Pros
benefits, 8 hour shift
Cons
pay, mandatory overtime, summer work, supervisors, management.
ISU Dining is a pretty decent job for a student
Staff (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 19, 2019
Fir being a part time job where you can only work 20 hours a week you get paid a decent wage, but it really isn't enough to afford rent on a monthly basis, but it does help you earn money over the semester. The scheduling is very flexible for students if something is to come up
Great People
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 18, 2019
This was just a small temporary job to get extra experience and money while I attended school here. I peer mentored in the AST/ITEC department and all of the higher ups are very kind, understanding, and easy to work with.
Pros
Free food at meetings
Cons
very little hours
A quick paced environment
Intramural Referee (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 17, 2019
there is no typical day at work, you never know what to expect refereeing intramural games, it can get very hostile, or it can be calm, I learned how to handle those situations
Internship Mediocre
GALLERY INTERN (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 9, 2019
When I was a part of the internship, it was part of a course offered at Iowa State. It was a fairly new concept, so it was a bit rocky as are all new programs. It was average all in all, and I'm not really sure if I gained anything out of it
Great Research Opportunity
Research/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 9, 2019
ISU has a great environment to focus on research. I have learned how to work in a team and how to be a team member while following my own research ideas.
Great place to work for Iowans/Iowa State Alums
Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 9, 2019
In my time here, I have met with my supervisor/director multiple times to ask for more work because all of the work has been given to the people who studied at Iowa State. I even begged to be put on committees so that I could serve my department better, but my director ended up putting my two co-workers on 3 more committees.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Extremely isolating for non-Iowa State alums. Within my three years here, no pay raise at all.No chance of advancement.
Great place to experience many types of job responsibilities
Department Head Secretary (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 6, 2019
Since it's been over 35 years ago that I worked at ISU, it is hard for me to answer the questions on the previous page as to what ISU offers their employees today. I do know that I was able to be promoted within the University as I gained skills and I felt very much appreciated by my various department heads; they always encouraged me to do more and offered me many opportunities to show that I could do anything I set my mind to.
Pros
Ability to attend events at ISU
Cons
Pay range could have been better, but again this was many years ago.
High capacity food service
CHEF (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 2, 2019
Worked at the busiest location where we served approximately 2500 students for lunch and 1800 for dinner. Worked with a team if anywhere from 5-10 other cooks each shift
Great place to attend graduate school
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 1, 2019
Iowa State Univeristy's Chemistry department is very well run and research is done efficiently. I would recommend attending graduate school (in any discipline) at ISU.
Research Assistant at Iowa State University"
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 10, 2019
I have been working at Iowa State University part-time

Pros

Nice people to work with.
A lot to learn and execute.

Cons

Cold in winter, far from big cities
Good for students
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 2, 2019
It was a good way to help others. Helps develop leadership traits and aspects. You work with your adviser. the most challenging part was developing a meeting time for students
Interactive Atmosphere
Destination Iowa State Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 28, 2019
Training was mediocre however, once you are with the students you have a good chance to enjoy planned activities. This included hypnotist, picnic on the lawn, ISU AfterDark, Informational sessions, comedian, etc.
Good Benefits
Contract Administration (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 23, 2019
Iowa State has great medical and retirement benefits. They provide continuing education and have opportunities for career advancement. Plus, its a fun place to work.
Beautiful and friendly workplace
Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 21, 2019
As a graduate student, the work at Iowa State University is doing research and teaching classes. The beautiful campus in the peaceful small town provides an ideal place for students to study and do research. People are friendly to each other. The personal experience, however, would largely depend on PhD advisor and research areas.
I love my colledge life
Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 15, 2019
Working on campus has lots of fun. You get to know the most intelligent persons and learn a lot. Most professors dont micro-manage your work, so you need to learn to manage your own life and be responsible to your work results.
Political culture threatens workplace stability
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 13, 2019
The University's attachment to the Iowa Board of regents and the political culture of control over deans and provosts puts pressure on each department. In the LAS College in particular, educators are left unsure of future employment or available advancement at Iowa State.
Fun and relaxing environment
Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 11, 2019
Easy to work with the coordinators, everyone was very friendly toward the tutors and were always willing to help out when someone needed it. We were given all the information needed before we started and there was no miscommunication on either party's side.
Internship Training (Former Employee) –  Baptist Hospital of MiamiFebruary 7, 2019
Shadowed Dieticians, performed nutrition screenings and assessments to intervene and monitor patient's nutritional status. Very competent manager and staff
Grounds Crew (Former Employee) –  Ames, IA 50011January 31, 2019
Iowa State had great experiences for anyone looking. To move up was every hard you don't get chances to advance often. work stress level was low. The management was relaxed also helping with everyday tasks.
Pros
Always something to do
Cons
Too many bosses telling you different tasks for each day