Iowa State University

Iowa State University Employee Reviews

United States566 reviews

isuuniversitystateprofessorstudentgraduatecampusphd

Flexibility

Lots of flexibility in taking on new tasks. Great people to work with. Advancement can be problematic if staff and not tenured faculty. Recreation services is awesome.

Unprofessional and toxic workplace

Inappropriate remarks and actions from manager/supervisors. Kept staff on edge due to their own personal/home life issues. All the good ones are leaving

Iowa State University insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Engineer Graduate Research Asisstant

It is unfortunate that the status of a work environment completely depends on the professor and not the university. Competent professor= good work environment, Incompetent professor= toxic work environment.

Pros

Learning new trades and skills by working on multiple projects funded by Fortune 500 companies

Cons

unstable and often times toxic work environment

Grad students are not appreciated enough

Low pay and no benefits. You have to pay high student fees every 4 months (>$700) and you also have to pay to park at your own work. Students get no recognition for their work and success.

Boiler

Good place yo learn boilers, adjusting to rotating shifts can prove challenging. To survive long term employment a person needs to have some sort of military experience. Not all departments are the same, but FP&M was that way in the years I worked here.

Fun Research experience.

Had an undergrad research experience and had a lot of fun with the staff and graduate students. Everyone makes you feel like you're a member and are helpful to get you onboard. Of course it is graduate level research so it will be difficult but it's very rewarding. One of the best summers of my life!

Pros

Great stipend, students, professors, environment.

Cons

None!

Helpful environment that could provide more fiscal/beneficiariy support

If you are working as a teaching assistant or a research assistant, your workload can vary significantly just based on your professor/manager. What won't change very much is the payment and benefits you will receive, which are not terrible, but certainly give off the "bare minimum" feeling. Also, in a non-stem field, you will feel the fiscal and general opportunity disparity rather quickly unfortunately.

Flexible and Caring, but heavily biased

Decent pay. Decent benefits. Extremely flexible and could work around scheduling conflicts. Depends on the department and college, but most were highly biased.

Good position for learning lab tech skills

Great workplace for learning advanced chemistry skills and lab management. Management develops an understanding of time sensitive projects and an appreciation of deadlines. A great place to work as an undergrad.

Great!

Fun job, not hard, not a lot of supervision. I enjoy going to work each day. But then, this is literally the career path I'm on; to becomes a professor. So ymmv.

What is the best part of working at Iowa State University?Flexibility and good environmentWhat is the most stressful part about working at Iowa State University?Sometimes unorganized, lower payWhat is the work environment and culture like at Iowa State University College of Business?Performance based and independent What is a typical day like for you at Iowa State University?Clock in, check teams chat and outlook. Complete any requests, then work on miscellaneous tasks the rest of the day.

University Work

Working at university is what you would expect, there is not a extremely high level of organization and things don't get done in a very efficient way but it is a fine place to work

Pros

On campus

Cons

Low pay

It's a good graduate school. As research assistant, I get enough money to support my life and also to complete my Ph.D. research. The only drawback, I think, it is too cold during the winter. Overall, it's really good.

Fun Work place

I like working at the University, especially working with the students and seeing them succeed. Amazing benefits and you accrue a decent amount of vacation after working for a while, but most of the time you have to start off with a zero balance, which can be difficult.

Great Benefits and Opportunities for Advancement

I like working at the University. My position is a merit position. The only thing that I don't like about merit positions is that you have to start at the bottom of the pay scale regardless of your experience. I have over 15 years clerical experience and I had to start over at $17 an hour. If you are an admin, I would strongly recommend looking at professional and scientific jobs. I do like working here overall, working with the students is fun and Iowa State provides amazing benefits, I just wish the pay was a little higher based on my own experience.

DIS Leader—Great if you are Passionate about Students

Great job overall. Loved getting to work with the students for a couple of days. It wasn't easy to get them engaged, but you improvised. The Cyclone Aides are super supportive, and I felt fairly well prepped. It was difficult getting up early and having most of your days sucked, but you get paid fairly well f. Plus, the students may ditch you.

Pros

Great culture, good pay, lots of fun, free breakfast, good support

Cons

Long days, akwardness, students not listening

Uninspired Research Institution

Research process is slow and uninspired. Collaboration in research is promoted but often very ineffective. Graduate programs are highly ranked but there is little support for graduate students and instances of retaliation when questioning decisions.

Benefits great, compensation not so much

Unless you are faculty, you need to find a different job within ISU in order to get more money. So hard for staff to get recognized and receive a raise.

benefits

Cons

compensation

Intellectually stimulating environment

An outstanding lab, Professor Wang provides an opportunity to learn in an exciting environment. I felt proud to be part of the Lab of Molecular Cell Mechanics.

Decent Place to Work

Iowa State University is a solid place to work. There are definitely pros and cons. The benefits were outstanding but the pay was low. There was a lot of pressure to avoid bad press. Work/life balance isn't there. But the environment is beautiful.

Do not work here

Health insurance is the only decent thing. If you work as a Vet Tech, be prepared for awful pay, and prepare to get thrown under the bus from other services and doctors for things outside your responsibilities. Patient care is non existent, and the criticalists don’t listen to their techs. You will get worked to the bone. Do not work for this company.

Common questions about Iowa State University

Answered by current and former employees at Iowa State University

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Iowa State University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.9
InHerSight Score
2.8Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Iowa State University with

Learn about Iowa State University in popular locations

Studying at Iowa State University

Find out what it's like to study here.Read all reviews
  • Iowa State University