Iowa State University Employee Reviews for Research Assistant

Research Assistant at Iowa State University"
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 10, 2019
I have been working at Iowa State University part-time

Pros

Nice people to work with.
A lot to learn and execute.

Cons

Cold in winter, far from big cities
Beautiful and friendly workplace
Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 21, 2019
As a graduate student, the work at Iowa State University is doing research and teaching classes. The beautiful campus in the peaceful small town provides an ideal place for students to study and do research. People are friendly to each other. The personal experience, however, would largely depend on PhD advisor and research areas.
I love my colledge life
Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 15, 2019
Working on campus has lots of fun. You get to know the most intelligent persons and learn a lot. Most professors dont micro-manage your work, so you need to learn to manage your own life and be responsible to your work results.
Undergrad Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 15, 2018
I wasn't actually an official employee of Iowa State University, but rather I worked in one of my professor's labs as an undergrad research assistant, so take my review accordingly...
Great learning and living environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 6, 2018
For a temporary position, it was a wonderful learning environment and great place to be before entering graduate school at a difference place. Professors are of high quality and Ames is small but great to live in.
graduate assistant
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 2, 2018
I'm a graduate student, there are fewer positions for student than the total numbers of students who are looking for a position.

But, if you work more, your tuition will be cut more.
Good place to learn
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 7, 2018
. I am a PhD candidate at Iowa State University in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering specializing in Bioengineering. I have learned a lot of skills that help me to find nice jobs. I can use my PhD experience to start learning new areas.
research experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 30, 2018
working with my professor as a research assistant open my eyes to things you can do that is related to your major. This experience also in a way help you apply what you learn in the university. In this case process control dynamics. You learn to apply what you were taught in class in real life application.
excellent working experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 24, 2018
Since it's my first time to be a research assistant, I have learned how to collaborate with my supervisor and colleagues. And due to the project was supported by 3M, we used to work more than 30 hours per week in order to meet their high standards. The hardest part of this job is we had to finish many tasks in a short period of time, however, it's also the most enjoyable part of the job, because what I had gained is not only the knowledge I learned but also the thoughts and the experience of how to complete a research project from conceiving a primary idea to implement very experimental details.
Terrible weather and small city but fun place to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 15, 2018
If the weather was better and the city was bigger, I would have enjoyed Iowa state more. The campus is beautiful; however, some of the buildings are really old.
Good for graduate students and for gaining experience.
Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 27, 2017
As a graduate student, the pay is lower than desired, but the work is balanced and enjoyable. The other student employees are easy to get to know and friendly.
Helped me learn a lot as a researcher
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 5, 2017
Working at Iowa State University as a Research Assistant has been a great experience. It has helped me learn a lot from the very knowledgeable advisors. Also, with all the facilities provided, it is hard just to sit and not learn.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant on GPU parallel computing (Former Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 9, 2017
Research Assistant on GPU parallel computing
• Researched on high performance and large scale parallel computation using GPU with CUDA programming
• Applied the GPU computation into high energy physics; performed parallel computation and memory access optimization to increase overall runtime efficiency
Friendly Professors
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 2, 2017
Friendly Professors who are willing to teach and guild you. Taught me about Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) and published a thesis about it. Really enjoyed my time there.
It's a university
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 31, 2017
It's for sure publish or perish. But if you are interested in academia there is no better place. Because it is an R1 university it affords a lot of different opportunities
Great place to work!
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 22, 2017
As a research assistant, you have good flexibility of working 20 hours per week. The job work/life balance is great! And I love the job culture here at ISU!
Unpaid for Research Experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 20, 2017
Tough to review anything for pay when I volunteered for simply for experience. I performed research for 2 years, and was never treated unfairly. I was told to focus on my school work first, and never struggled to manage both research and life. It was rather easy-going.
Pros
Experience
Fun Place to work while going to school
Technical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 19, 2017
I worked as a technical research assistant for the Entomology Department at Iowa State University.
It was hard physical work, but still enjoyable.
I liked the people I worked with. My manager although a little rough around the edges, was a nice guy to work for.
Pros
Fun Place to work
Cons
Maybe could pay more for how hard we strain our bodies
good
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 22, 2017
Iowa State University is a very good place to work. I am a research assistant in the department of materials science and engineering. The culture in our department is very friendly and efficient. I love this place.
Nice lab and research environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 17, 2017
They provide good equipment for labs, and very nice professors and advisers to give you good guidance on research and course works. I also have many smart and talented colleagues to work with.