Iowa State University Employee Reviews for Teaching Assistant

Political culture threatens workplace stability
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 13, 2019
The University's attachment to the Iowa Board of regents and the political culture of control over deans and provosts puts pressure on each department. In the LAS College in particular, educators are left unsure of future employment or available advancement at Iowa State.
Beautiful campus
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 26, 2018
ISU has great view and amazing people. The workplace culture is friendly. Busy during final weeks and require many hours of hard work everyday. I learned to communicate and collaborate with different people from different backgrounds.
Pros
nice working environment
Cons
only basic healthcare
Highly political
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 3, 2018
The environment is highly political and, depending on the department, poorly managed. Some great people remain committed to the students and delivering a high-quality education, but most have left -- all that remains are opportunists.
Very Good
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant - IE 348 (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 28, 2018
I worked as a undergraduate teaching assistant so it was a great opportunity to expand my knowledge in the subject area. It also gave me a chance to build leadership skills.
Was a good place to work as a TA
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 19, 2018
Helpful staff and coworkers who allowed to improve own knowledge while learning more. The professor was very helpful in getting the basic stuff and the labs were straight forward.
Pros
Friendly group
Cons
may need to unpaid overtime every now and then
Research
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 9, 2018
Research in a specific is always difficult! We are surrounded by genuine and caring people. The moto of “great employees only” not only acts as a core value, but truly encompasses our expectations of each other. As a team, we use each other to talk through situations, to stay sane after a rough day, and to push each other to go past our comfort zones. Sure, there are perks like cooking in the kitchen on your birthday month, carpooling and lunch programs, manufacturer trainings, but we also have book clubs, coaching, mentoring, and mindfulness training. It’s not about the perks it’s about the people. Because of the fast paced environment there can be some tougher days, but I do believe that comes along with any career path.
great to work at ISU
Teach Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 2, 2017
As a research assistant, the work is stressful but interesting. The cooperation with the teammates was a great experience to me. I am glade I had worked there.
Great learning experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAOctober 11, 2017
Typical day included attending lectures, and holding office hours. Was one of four teaching assistants who assisted with grading and answering student questions.
Great opportunities to learn
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAOctober 10, 2017
Being a teacher's assistant, I have a great opportunity to practice some of the skills i learned in internships. I have been a teacher's assistant for 3 semesters and for 2 classes.
Hardest part of this job
Teaching Assistant/Section Designer (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAOctober 6, 2017
The hardest part of this job was not knowing if there will be enough hours allotted and if the current research data projects would stay afloat. Uncertainty creates decreases in production.
Pros
Research and People
Cons
Uncertainity in hours
The school has a good college of engineering
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAOctober 3, 2017
They offer very helpful courses and the research areas are so diverse and it's a competitive working area. Besides science, there lots of cultural activities that students and scholars can get involved in.
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 22, 2017
I love being able to work with people and help in any way I can. I have worked under many teachers in the agronomy department and I appreciate the opportunities that have been given to me.
Friendly proferssors with ample opportunites
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 21, 2017
Teaching assistant position at ISU is a challenge to find but if you look at the right place it is possible. Professors are friendly and helping to make the job easier.
Choose your own adventure
Teaching Assistant & Tutor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 12, 2017
Basically get to make your own schedule and lesson plan, and I find that what you put into the job both off the clock and on, really determines how much you get out of it. I fell in love with teaching and the challenge it provided, and I felt absolutely liberated when I realized how much I grew as a leader through teaching in a small and large group setting.
Work here.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 7, 2017
Working for the biochemistry department at Iowa State was a very good experience. I gained a lot of knowledge and it was very furthering to my career. I recommend being a TA for the biochemistry department and working in their labs.
Decent
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 28, 2017
I enjoy being able to work with students. Professors are usually careful to not overwork TA's. Working in the Help Room is sometimes stressful if you have a lot of homework, but otherwise is not too bad.
Moderate work for a descent stipend while in graduate school
Geology Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 19, 2017
Iowa State's GEAT department is a good department to be enrolled for graduate studies. The teaching assistant position requires an average of 15-20 hrs per/week with a consistent monthly stipend and no need to log hours worked.
Pros
Besides in class or lab hours, you are free to work on your own time, Free health insurance while being on a teaching assistant contract.
Great Easy Job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 29, 2017
If you can get in with a teacher to be a teaching assistant, do it immediately. It has great pay, but I should probably temper that with it depends on the department you are working under. But besides that it allows you to develop a contact with your professor outside of the traditional student teacher paradigm. This is helpful when looking for people to put as refren
Cons
Fun place with many nice colleague
Teaching Assistant of Chinese 201 (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 12, 2017
the manager is very nice
the workplace is clean and comfortable
the work time is adjustable for anyone
the application for the job is very easy
Pros
one free meal a day
Cons
no cons
It was excellent.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 12, 2016
I never experienced such a positive enthusiasm than anywhere else. Everyone were so helpful and so supportive. Overall, It was excellent.