Iowa State University Employee Reviews

I love my colledge life
Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 15, 2019
Working on campus has lots of fun. You get to know the most intelligent persons and learn a lot. Most professors dont micro-manage your work, so you need to learn to manage your own life and be responsible to your work results.
Political culture threatens workplace stability
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 13, 2019
The University's attachment to the Iowa Board of regents and the political culture of control over deans and provosts puts pressure on each department. In the LAS College in particular, educators are left unsure of future employment or available advancement at Iowa State.
Fun and relaxing environment
Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 11, 2019
Easy to work with the coordinators, everyone was very friendly toward the tutors and were always willing to help out when someone needed it. We were given all the information needed before we started and there was no miscommunication on either party's side.
Internship Training (Former Employee) –  Baptist Hospital of MiamiFebruary 7, 2019
Shadowed Dieticians, performed nutrition screenings and assessments to intervene and monitor patient's nutritional status. Very competent manager and staff
Grounds Crew (Former Employee) –  Ames, IA 50011January 31, 2019
Iowa State had great experiences for anyone looking. To move up was every hard you don't get chances to advance often. work stress level was low. The management was relaxed also helping with everyday tasks.
Pros
Always something to do
Cons
Too many bosses telling you different tasks for each day
Flexible Schedule. Great management
Fire Safety Technician, Dining Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 31, 2019
I worked for the EH&S department as a fire safety student and as a supervisor for ISU dining at Friley Windows. I enjoyed both jobs and the people I worked with.
Pros
Flexible hours, internship opportunities, no micromanaging
Cons
Lots of walking around campus, food service sucks at times
Good opportunities for hands-on work
Engineering Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 17, 2019
Worked as a lab assistant and assisted lab managers in general lab work such a cleaning, repair work, reorganisation of equipment. Generally had flexible hours and managers would work with you if you needed time off for studies, and were willing to teach you what you needed to know.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Can feel like a glorified janitor at times
Administrators are terrible
Senior Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 11, 2019
Working at ISU is a nightmare. Everyone above the lecturer position is grossly incompetent and seems to have completely stopped caring about the students and their ability to learn.
Pros
Lecturers and Lab Coordinators are wonderful
Cons
Upper management is horrible
Teaching and Research Assistant
Computer Science Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 5, 2019
I am currently pursuing Master of Science in Computer Science at Iowa State University where I am working as a Graduate Research assistant as well as Teaching assistant. I had done projects in Machine learning and Deep learning using Python, web applications using Node.js and networking projects such as Peer-to-peer systems during the course of my academic career.
Beautiful campus
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 26, 2018
ISU has great view and amazing people. The workplace culture is friendly. Busy during final weeks and require many hours of hard work everyday. I learned to communicate and collaborate with different people from different backgrounds.
Pros
nice working environment
Cons
only basic healthcare
Flexible Schedule
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 16, 2018
Best thing about working here was being able to schedule your own sessions based on your availability. I also found tutoring beneficial to reinforcing my understanding of the topics.
Undergrad Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 15, 2018
I wasn't actually an official employee of Iowa State University, but rather I worked in one of my professor's labs as an undergrad research assistant, so take my review accordingly...
Being a tutor at Iowa State is a great filler job for anyone with even a slight interest in teaching
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 3, 2018
I originally became a tutor because I needed the money, however after I started tutoring it was hard to stop because I enjoyed teaching students so much. The sessions are as stressful or as relaxed as you make them so you generally control your own pace.
Nutrition Educator
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IANovember 28, 2018
Great working with families and teaching them how to manage nutrition and life skill in the kitchen. This was a program that required you to find clients that met program criteria and compete for those clients with other staff.
Great benefits, but little room for employee advancement.
IA - Iowa (Former Employee) –  IA - IowaNovember 13, 2018
Since ISU is a state university, the benefits are fantastic. The pay is not great and raises were limited. Most of the people were great, but there is definitely a class system between faculty and staff. There were a lot of long hours required and minimal reward.
Great University
HEAD LAB MONITOR (Former Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 12, 2018
Iowa State is a great university. The professors and staff are great and the students are even better. Every person should go to school there. Go STATE!
Culture is different in each department but promotional opportunities are limited to predominantly males.
Faculty (Current Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 10, 2018
Male dominated culture. No accountability. No recognition or acknowledgement of accomplishment. Lack of leadership makes the culture very stressful. Love teaching students but don't appreciate being put in compromising situations by poor management/leadership.
Pros
Love working with students!
Cons
Poor management of human resources.
Great coworkers and management
Lead Community Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 9, 2018
It is fun getting to interact with other students and other coworkers. We give safe rides to students if they feel unsafe walking somewhere. We also provide services such as jumpstarts, vehicle unlocks, and tire assists, all for free.
Pros
Easygoing
Cons
Can only work 20 hours maximum per week
Great Place to work