Iowa State University Employee Reviews

Great learning and living environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 6, 2018
For a temporary position, it was a wonderful learning environment and great place to be before entering graduate school at a difference place. Professors are of high quality and Ames is small but great to live in.
Período e experiência eniquecedores
Pesquisador visitante (Former Employee) –  Ames-USAJuly 4, 2018
Local e pessoas incríveis. Perído extremamente rico para crescimento profissional e pessoal.
graduate assistant
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 2, 2018
I'm a graduate student, there are fewer positions for student than the total numbers of students who are looking for a position.

But, if you work more, your tuition will be cut more.
Iowa State University
Assistant NCAA Gymnastics Coach (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 11, 2018
I really enjoyed my 2 years working with Iowa State and the athletic department. The culture of the workplace was extremely comfortable and challenging at the same time.
Great
GA (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 6, 2018
University that is innovative and on the front edge of a fascinating technology. Employer is great, flexible, motivating. Work is on a farm, can be dirty.
Great Student Job
Solution Center Team Lead / Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  AmesJune 5, 2018
It is a great student job. It is limited to 20 hours/week when school is in sessions and 40 during the summer. The hours were very flexible. While it is IT, any major is welcomed and it is fairly easy to learn what you need to know.
Bumping process among merit staff should have been based on job-specific experience
Clerk III, Front Desk/Asst. to Hotel Manager (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 4, 2018
I am once again interested now that I hear the union based bumping system is no longer being used. University is a great place to work with amazing people from a diverse group of students, staff and professionals.
Pros
Great work environment.
Cons
Too many good departments are now closed due to state budget cuts.
Great experiences work on campus
Statistical Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 23, 2018
Worked as TA and RA in stat department. Learned a lot from working in stat department. Stat department gave me many opportunities to work and improve myself.
Graduate Research Assistant
GRADUATE STUDENT RESEARCHER (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 20, 2018
The work is very rewarding. I constantly feel challenged, and I actually look forward to the work week. :)

Impactful - Make a real difference in students' lives
Non-hierarchical - Everybody is valued and everybody is motivated by what they do.
Democratic - We collect feedback on just about anything and use what people say and think to determine the outcome
Open - Your ideas are valued.
Good strong work enviornment
Olympic Strength and Conditioning Coach (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 13, 2018
Gained great experience and was able to work with a variety of different people of very different backgrounds. Pay for support staff could be much better.
More Diversity Initiatives Necessary
NA (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 9, 2018
More diversity and inclusion initiatives are necessary on campus. However, I do enjoy the work that I do in my department and the community I have built
This is a university not a job...
Student (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 7, 2018
Iowa State University is a great school for software engineering. Their program allows students to create their own projects with the latest technologies which really helps us stay competitive in the job market.
Laidback Math department
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 3, 2018
Faculty are personable and willing to help undergraduate and graduate students alike. TAs are allowed to work with minimal oversight, though initial training is lacking.
It was nice when I started.
Systems Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 2, 2018
They're moving to a SaaS application so dozens of jobs will evaporate of the next few years in their legacy area. The state legislature is rolling back funding so raises are non-existent. Really, why would they when you're going to be laid off in a few years.
Great College Job
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 30, 2018
Worked very flexibly around my class schedule. It was very clear that I am a student first and an employee second. If I had to miss work due to large amounts of class work it was understood that I could make up my time earlier or later in order to accommodate.
Pros
Flexibility
work life balance is good
Graduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 23, 2018
It's a good place for studying, safe and boring. The place is good except the winter is too long. Living expenses are not too expensive. Have to choose the major u really like rather than just come for the university.
Was a good place to work as a TA
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 19, 2018
Helpful staff and coworkers who allowed to improve own knowledge while learning more. The professor was very helpful in getting the basic stuff and the labs were straight forward.
Pros
Friendly group
Cons
may need to unpaid overtime every now and then
Fun place to meet friends and personal contact with customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 18, 2018
I was a cashier and customer service representative during my time at the bookstore. I helped complete transactions with customers, assisted them with finding merchandise, clothing, or school materials, and answered phone calls for online orders or other questions. The workplace was a fun and communicative place for college students to enjoy work and meet new people and work on their communication and customer service skills for future endeavors.
Pros
New friends and cooperative managers
Cons
minimum pay
Good For Students
Academic Program Assistant & Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 10, 2018
Great job opportunity for any college student. Make sure you are open-minded, approachable and passionate.
Can lead to further college affairs for a career, or looks really good on any out of college resumes!
Pros
Room and Board
Cons
Being on Duty, troubleshooting roommate issues
Experience Review
Catering Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Scheman CateringApril 9, 2018
Opportunities were available but the overall experience could have been improved to better serve students to facilitate growth. Staff was professional overall, but little room for advancement.