Iowa State University Employee Reviews

Good time
Student Participant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 9, 2018
A lot of items of need are accessible through iowa state, however the issue would be how to access them. All your resources are there to succeed, but you need to be able to find the resources on your own.
Pros
collaborative
Cons
Can be slow paced sometimes
Great Place to work
WorkCyte Student Associate (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 3, 2018
Fun place to work on campus as a student employee. Great people to work with and to learn from. Offers a fantastic learning experience in different types of work.
Was just an assistant
Professor's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 3, 2018
Had a good part-time job that helped with paying for expenses. Nothing serious, but I did learn a lot about the things I want to do in the future and to work hard to get there.
Pros
Short work
Cons
No advancement opportunities
Very rewarding helping other students
Academic Tutor (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 27, 2018
This was a very rewarding job helping other students learn material that I did well on. Great place to work while being a student at Iowa State University.
Pros
Helping others
Easy, relaxed time
Garden Docent (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 19, 2018
being a student employee was easy & payed well. convenient for mixing studying & working into the day. Good way to stay on top of finances while still being part of the university life.
Excellent Univesity
Building Manager - Memorial Union (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 18, 2018
I worked part time at my university. There is nothing negative about my university. I really liked working there. As far as my engineering is concerned I'm happy with the courses and facilities offered at ISU.
Good place to learn
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 7, 2018
. I am a PhD candidate at Iowa State University in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering specializing in Bioengineering. I have learned a lot of skills that help me to find nice jobs. I can use my PhD experience to start learning new areas.
Great Environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 25, 2018
I met a lot of great coworkers here and the management was good. Most of the tome I worked here it was busy, but I was fine with that because I dislike when I have nothing to do.
Review
Undergraduate Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 22, 2018
Weeding grass, pollinating corn. Research opportunities, with lab work. Good atmosphere enjoyed my time. Management gave lots of advise for researching.
Time is flexible
Postdoc researcher (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 17, 2018
Working time is flexible if you work with a nice PI. It is really good for making a balance between work and family. Postdoc is more like a self-motivated job, so how much you can gain from this experience mainly depends on you.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Low paid
Positive work environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 14, 2018
Positive work environment, diverse, collaborative. Graduate students are treated well, overall. Safe working conditions. Best place to work if interested in intermetallics.
Great!!
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 11, 2018
I loved my time over there... very nice people and good place to live.. relatively cheap too...
only problem is its sort of middle of no where... but overall I will give 5 starts (out of 5)
Research
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 9, 2018
Research in a specific is always difficult! We are surrounded by genuine and caring people. The moto of “great employees only” not only acts as a core value, but truly encompasses our expectations of each other. As a team, we use each other to talk through situations, to stay sane after a rough day, and to push each other to go past our comfort zones. Sure, there are perks like cooking in the kitchen on your birthday month, carpooling and lunch programs, manufacturer trainings, but we also have book clubs, coaching, mentoring, and mindfulness training. It’s not about the perks it’s about the people. Because of the fast paced environment there can be some tougher days, but I do believe that comes along with any career path.
great place to work
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 3, 2018
Loved it! fun job getting to learn the ropes of engineering. Got to help in doing real research. Super cool job working with power tools and other random things
awesome
Graphic Design and Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 1, 2018
It is the most fun I've had at work. I have always believed that coworkers make a difference in the workplace, and these are some of the best coworkers I've had.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
pay
college town
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 1, 2018
teaching environment is well designed. however, graduate students are asked to do too much of teaching when they need to focus more on their research projects in order to get their degree.
research experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 30, 2018
working with my professor as a research assistant open my eyes to things you can do that is related to your major. This experience also in a way help you apply what you learn in the university. In this case process control dynamics. You learn to apply what you were taught in class in real life application.
N/a
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 29, 2018
It is great to work at Iowa State University. It gives you a lot of experience in terms of research and teaching. I love to be a researcher in the stochastic optimal control area and teacher in the same area.
Rewarding
Lead Peer Mentor / Teachers Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 29, 2018
Working as a peer mentor is very rewarding and the coworkers were marvelous. While it doesn't apply to a position you can find on Indeed, I would recommend being a peer mentor if you can do so while in college.
Clinicas
Summer Camp Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 28, 2018
Experiencia en dar clinicas y ayudar a niños en poder desarrollarse.