IPG Photonics Corporation
Happiness rating is 59 out of 100

IPG Photonics Corporation Employee Reviews

United States122 reviews

photonicsovertimeroombenefitdepartmentadvancementcompanylong

Good opportunity for self motivated people

Good opportunities for self motivated people generally speaking with slight hues of getting stuck or taken advantage of resolving other peoples poor craftsmanship

If you wanna make 17 an hour for the next 5+ years then work here

Absolute zero advancement at this place. You can cross train, move up, work overtime, work every saturday, do everything. And when pay raises come around, they will find a reason to either not give you a pay raise, or give you one percent (17 cents). I kept getting promised for 8 months that I would be receiving an outstanding pay raise for my hard work over everybody else. That suckered me into working even harder than everyone else for the next 8 months. Just to get nothing. You move up more at McDonalds then you do here, in terms of pay. I had a few solid choices from different companies when taking this job offer, and geez do I wish I took a different offer. What a waste of time.

IPG Photonics Corporation insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

It's a secure job and the benefits are nice.

Overall most jobs at IPG take time to learn. Often, tasks require a delicate and precise hand as well as good vision. Each department is different though.

Enjoyable

I absolutely loved working with the people I worked with. The schedule there was very flexible which made life so much easier. Pay was good and excellent benefits.

Unprofessional Shipping department

I worked here a few months back, I wasnt with the company long due to how poorly managed the department was, on top of poor management I also felt I was severly underpaid and understaffed. Apon my arrival I was informed by an employee who was leaving for a better paying job that I was going to have my hands full considering I was going to be working by myself in an area that required multiple employees. When I had questions regarding my job duties my manager seemed befuddled, this became increasingly taxing for me on a constant basis. We would have shipments come at inconsistent times and not have the proper materials to ship the product which resulted in higher ups giving me their (shall we say negative opinions) MY manager was did the international shipping while his right hand man did the domestic shipping, dealing with his right hand man was insufferable, nice guy but extremely self absorbed and had a leisurely way of conducting himself. I had to skip lunches on several occasions just to be able to keel up with demands, I was asked to i just personally wanted to stay ahead. What made this even more frustrating was that I had to go help out the other 2 shippers at the end of the day, not only was I required to do my job but the job of others. I would not recommend work at this company, the lack of leadership is disappointing.

Pros

Clean break room company uniform and company bag

Cons

Low pay, poor management, overtime due to poor management, arrogant higher ups

Very smart employees, work unevenly distributed

Stressful, but interesting work. Work/life balance was not great in my group, but likely strongly depends on your division/manager. Good benefits. Plenty of work, good job security. Not sure about opportunities for advancement. Not for me.

Great place

Amazing place. Very little stress involved at work. You go to work, go to your station and work for a couple hours. You get two different breaks as well. Great place for a low stress environment.

Independent

You work pretty independently for the most part aside from picking up the phone from co workers and mangers to direct you what to do next. You work hands on a lot too and they teach you what you need to know

Pros

Independent

Cons

Time strict

Not a great place to work.

They don't promote front within. Management will hire people like friends and family and promote them quickly. They require mandatory ot every day and most weekend even though when you're hired they say "occasional" ot.

Bad for Engineers

Decent place to work as an operator/assembler. As an engineer beware. Managment makes this place unbearable, top down power control. There is no room to grow, unless you speak fluent Russian.

Pros

Long breaks, decent benefits

Cons

Long hours, no support from peers or managment, managment does not care about you at all, high turnover rate

They hardly ever walk people out and fire them.They don't fight to keep good people

If you mind your own business you still are not okay. People were allowed to steal and deal even once HR and management knew. They promoted a dealer. Management tells you what you want to hear in the moment, then avoid you when you realize nothing will be done. Policies and procedures were allowed to not be followed. If a complaint was made, the employee who complained was always in the wrong, not the employee who didn't follow the procedures. Hardest part of the job was leaving. The position itself was a good fit. The rest was what forced leaving.

Would not work here

As a shipper, your typical day is very long. All day you are shipping, packing, waiting for shipments to ship out. There is no room for growth. The company does not work with you either.

Cons

Some interesting work, but mostly cookie-cutter engineering for the mfg department

Depending on the department, you will get very mediocre work to speed up production. All attention is on production (in my case). If you want more exciting work, this might not be the company for you.

Good pay. Plenty of OT

Comfortable place to work with good pay. A lot to learn. Job security, benefits. Almost every holiday off. A bit much on micro management. Communication could use improvement

Pros

Pay, benefits, time off

Cons

Micro managing, lack of communication

Great product with terrible management

If you don’t have an accent or a Russian last name you cannot climb the corporate ladder at IPG. With the original CEO leaving there has been lots of power grabs by individuals in higher lever roles which has led to a lot of mess. The company is too compartmentalized and there is very little visibility as to the direction the company wants to grow to anyone not in a senior management level. If it wasn’t for the great laser product they make, the management would have sunk this company years ago and the way it seems is they just might do it.

Pros

Compensation

Negative energy

Find work someplace else. Managers are clueless. Workers there are stressed out. Most workers drive well over an hour to work each day. The management is not willing to accommodate long commutes.

Be a Robot or else

-One day they will replace all positions in the laser diode assembly department with automation. -No room for advancement- No culture no talking-Was absent due to 2nd dose of vaccine symptoms (severe). Terminated for not forcing myself to work.- 10 1/2 hour days with only a 30 minutes lunch break. Which is 15 minutes after you settle down to eat.No pros.

Pros

Cons

All cons

This is a load of barnacles...

If you are not foreign or an engineer, don't bother. They tell you that you will be trained on the job and learn everything about your department, when in reality you are given menial tasks and nothing but dirty looks when you try to learn new tasks.

Pros

Co workers are great

Cons

No one speaks english

Not Bad

Pretty good place to work. Decent pay and benefits. No real room for advancement. Yearly bonus and pay raise. Lots of travel. No real support for technical issues.

Production is fun to work .

It's very hard for for you to take vacation due to not too many people work there. If you want to take you have to request 6 weeks ahead. If you get lucky they will approve your vacation.

Pros

Big bonus in March each year.

Cons

You have to earn your sick time. But if you want to use it it very hard.

The best job I've had so far.

I say so far, because prior work included military, and UPS.It's technical work, indoors. Usually at a desk or workbench. You probably will get a chair. Your experience will differ greatly depending on which department you're in. I've worked in three of them, each "lateral" promotion was progressively worse, as the good employees get poached from the good departments to fill in the gaps of people quitting the bad departments. It's a slow, internal bleed.In one department, overtime was made mandatory. For a stretch, we were made to word 55 hours weeks for several months, and if we couldn't work the overtime, we had to email our boss the reason why. Burnout was rampant and they started hemorrhaging employees. I stuck it out, and then got transferred yet again to the current department that made me seek a new job.

Pros

Good benefits, and can be a fun place to work, depending on your department

Cons

Some departments (especially assembly) can feel like sweatshops

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IPG Photonics Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.1
InHerSight Score
1.4Personal Development
1.8Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight