Ireland Home Based Services Employee Reviews

Poor experience
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Tell City, INJuly 11, 2018
Billable and non billable hours are a joke - the company does not train properly on how to log your hours in order to actually get paid and you end up making half of what you should. Excessive hours and no means of personal protection from clients, animals, or other unforeseen dangers.
Home Base Caseworker II
Family Home Base Case Manager II (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INApril 12, 2018
Although I enjoyed helping others to become successful with their lives, this is not an idea job for those with children. The company is built to help DCS reunite family and children. If you have children, please do not apply. This position requires working long hours, mandatory paperwork (monthly reports, daily case notes, mandatory meetings, ongoing treatment plans, documentations, constant changing your schedules to fit parent and foster parent schedules, continues transporting clients and whatever DCS/Ireland requires you to do). Other than mentioned above, this is an idea job for people who love helping others and the pay is great!
Pros
pay, car incentive, great benefits
Cons
Requires working long hours, excessive paperwork and not family oriented
Relaxed work environment
Home Based Case Worker (Former Employee) –  North Vernon, INApril 10, 2018
Ireland is a fairly relaxed place to work. Most of your time is spent at client's homes or in your car. There was little interaction with coworkers, unless at staff meetings.
Pros
A lot of alone time
Cons
Not much pay
No Work/Home Life Balance
HOME BASED THERAPIST I (Current Employee) –  Sellersburg, INMarch 10, 2018
The expectations are unrealistic and self-care is something that is constantly preached to you but you have no actual time to have any self-care. Long days and low hourly pay! Supervision is great and they will help you towards your licensure, which is a nice bonus. 12 + hour days, where they expect you to see clients 65 % of the week, but then have you driving 10+ hours a week, which doesn't allow you to reach 65%, which then leads to meetings about your hours and percentages. Management is more concerned with the percentages right now then their workers and they are not taking care to help prevent burn out.
Pros
Supervision
Cons
No Home/Work Life Balance, Hourly Pay
Great Experience
Home Based Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Versailles, INMarch 7, 2018
The job itself was great for my first social work experience. I learned so much with how to help clients, treatment plans, and case management. My supervisors in region 15 were amazing. They were always there for support and helped me learn. My co-workers were like family to me and I still talk to some of them. I gained so much knowledge here in almost three years and I'm very grateful for that. However my personal life was being ignored. I barely had time to do the things I used to do and every time I went home I was so exhausted I would shut my own husband out. My health started to take a toll and I found myself canceling on clients almost every week which wasn't fair to them. I finally decided I needed to go to a less demanding job.
You get a company car, a cell phone, and a computer which is great and now everything is wireless. I used to have to do a lot of paperwork. Paperwork is still demanding but when they made everything wireless it defintely helped. The downside is I was expected to do paperwork with clients and that was very hard with visits. In the end I loved the experience and I loved seeing my clients do better but my mental health and personal life matter too so I had to move on. It is great for gaining experience if you can make it over 2 years. The first year is rough but it gets manageable.
Pros
Gain experience, cell phone, company car, laptop, great coworkers, and flexible schedule
Cons
Very demanding, personal life is almost non-existent, lots of paperwork, and lose hours when clients cancel
Awful use of time
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  IndianaDecember 3, 2017
Don't expect to have a home life. The job is very demanding. Driving all over the place. Have to get your 30 plus billable hours. Insurance was expensive. Do not work here if you want a home life.
Pros
Pay was good but only if you met billavle hours
Cons
No bslance of work home life, on the road all the time
No job or life balance
INDIANA MENTOR NETWORK (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 14, 2017
I was a Home-based caseworker. The company lack of understanding with a balancing of work and personal life. A typical caseload was 20 to 30. Ireland had an irrealistic productivity which needs to be met monthly.
Pros
client
Difficult but rewarding work.
Home Based Family Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 13, 2017
A typical day is providing services to 3 or 4 clients normally. I do work alot of evenings, up to 8 pm. I work Sunday to Thursday. The hardest part of the job is when clients cancel. The most enjoyable is helping clients succeed. If you meet your clients needs and can organize yourself, the job is not difficult.
Pros
Use of a company car, great benefits and paid time of.
Cons
working til 8.
Ireland Home Based Services
Home Based Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INSeptember 15, 2017
I generally work approximately 10-12 hours a day. I drive many miles daily as is required from my employer. I feel that I am compensated fairly for the level of service I provide. However, I am browsing for something closer to my residence without all of the driving.
Pros
Company car, laptop, phone
Cons
Long work days
Horrible place to work
worker (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 2, 2017
This place will seek people from other states to move to Indiana with a promise of car and ipad. The turn over is high, the hours are long. The pay is aweful. You will feel more like a babysitter than a worker. They threaten to dock your pay for any and everything to intimidate you. The best thing I did was quit. I would not recommed this job to my worst enemy.
Pros
company car and ipad, iphone
Cons
They monitor your location from your iphone. excessive driving, long hours, poor management
Therapist
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJune 29, 2017
Case management as a liaison with the Department of Child Services for family reunification. Family, youth, and individual therapy, teaching problem solving skills, behavior management etc.
Pros
Rewarding job
Cons
long days
Great coworks
Home Based Family Caseworker I (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 9, 2017
Your coworkers at this company are willing to help you and answer any questions you have. They are very friendly and kind.
Difficult work but also rewarding!
Home Based Family Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INDecember 12, 2016
I worked Sunday to Thursday (you have to work 1 weekend day) and had to be available to meet with assigned clients between 8am and 8pm. I rarely started at 8am and tried to average 6 hours a day with clients face to face. I did work alot of evenings and getting home at 7 or 8 pm was normal. I knew coming in to this job social work was hard, so I expected that. I had alot of support from my supervisor and office staff. The hardest part of the job was clients canceling and the most enjoyable was seeing clients succeed. I heard they went to hourly ( I was salaried), so not sure how that would work.
Pros
Use of company car, company issued Ipad and Iphone, paid time off after 90 days.
Cons
Insurance was a little expensive
Ihbs
Home based caseworker 1 (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INNovember 28, 2016
Worked Sun-Thursday 8a-8p and on call on weekends and holidays.
Supervisors in region 13 were cliquey and did not support workers. Supervision meetings were to be one on one but often supervisors who shared an office space were together and "helped"each other during meeting times with workers.

Work loads were heavy and not easily scheduled.
Pros
Ability to make own schedule, lots of training, and provided a car to use.
Cons
Work from car, not home much, driving all the time, and had to pay for use of car.
Company has potential, but needs a makeover for work/life balance of employees.
Home Based Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INApril 1, 2016
Ireland Home Based Services is a company with some potential. However, there are many things that need to change to relieve the high turnover rate. There are reasons why most employees last less than a year.

The company offers many services to the community, but is mostly involved with the supervision of children and families. In Indiana, there is a high demand for social workers, and a heavy caseload burden on the entire state. This inherently effects the company, and all social workers involved. Case loads are heavy,and because of this stress trickles down from upper management to the workers.
Instead of quality services, workers begin to focus on numbers, and billable hours, and how many cases they can squeeze into the day.
Workers feel the pressure to constantly take over more than they are required. When they do, they get bonus pay that is nice... But be warned, it is easy to burn yourself out very quickly. If you are a college graduate, with no children and other responsibilities outside of work, this seems more okay. But it is very difficult to have a family and work at IHBS.

Workers are offered medical, vision, dental. But be warned, the insurance is VERY expensive. For a family, medical would have been 600$ plus a month! What social worker can afford this !? Once again, if one is paying insurance for a single person, then it is "okay", but still very, very expensive for the most part.

A lot of time is spent driving! While driving, you are not making your hours, but you use to get mileage reimbursement. I know the company is changing its policy in this
  more... area, but be warned. Some days, you are driving over 4 hours, sometimes more. This is very harsh on the human body, and you may find yourself gaining weight, suffering back aches, and feeling lethargic. It is a challenge to find time between driving, doing paperwork, and supervising visits to find exercise.

While the company definitely has negative aspects, it is also filled with like-minds, many warm and caring social workers that want to help others, and be the difference in this world. As a workers here, you also get to form relationships with wonderful people and make a difference in the lives of children and their families. You are able to gain an understanding of many aspects of life, and certainly grow in many ways as an individual in the social work field....

However, SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR PERSONAL LIFE.

If the company can find a way to show appreciation to the foot soldiers of the company, and help promote more work/life balance (Not burning out the workers) then maybe this company has a surviving chance...

If it continues on the current path, people will continue to leave quickly and IHBS will NEVER have a solid, consistent workforce.
Pros
bonus money, company car, a gain in knowledge of social work
Cons
EXPENSIVE "benefits", Very poor work-life balance, long hours, lots of driving, sedentary lifestyle, highly stressful
Not a good balance in work and family
Case worker (Former Employee) –  Madison, INJanuary 28, 2016
The days are long and can be stressful at times when dealing with other people and their issues. There was a lot of traveling and management was demanding that you meet your billable time. It did not seem that management was very supportive of their workers. I enjoyed spending time with the children and helping families to learn new things and pray that I planted a seed of positive life changing impact on the children and families.
Pros
helping others
Cons
no balance in work and family life, long hours, management enforcing billable time if not meet no pay
Overworked, Undercompensated
Home Based Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJanuary 5, 2016
In this job you truly are given the opportunity to help people. After a two week training and barely any job experience they throw you into the ring and you basically sink or swim. The hours are very very long.. I averaged about 60 a week but was only paid for ~30 due to their policy of not being able to count your drive time. Sometimes you are required to drive anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours to see a client. The clientele that you work with do not have the reputation for being the most responsible at keeping appointment times.. you could drive 2 hours to see a client and have them not show up and drive 2 hours back and receive no credit for that time. This company only reimburses mileage up to 400 a week.. the majority of weeks I drove anywhere from 600 to 1200 miles. I was rarely under 400. When hired in they said that if you go over 400 they would offer you a gas card or the ability to take a company vehicle. THIS NEVER HAPPENED. The company vehicles where always occupied due to co-workers having cases with more than 5 children involved.

That being said, this job is great starting off point for social workers and therapists. They give opportunities to those just graduating from college. Maybe that is why they don't treat their employees well? You are thrown into the ring and you will come across every variety of case work you can imagine. Dirty homes, visitation, probation, abuse, drug use, the list could go on awhile!

During the hiring process they also tell you that you have a flexible schedule as long as you get your client in. I was told that I could even
  more... go to a doctors appointment in the middle of the work day as long as I met with all of my clients and was not behind on hours. This was just not true. The company is so overwhelmed with cases that they will check your schedule and if you have so much as 30 minutes of free time, they will make you take a case and "make it work." This happened so often that a lot of times they would tell us to not meet with an assigned client that week to make room for "Coverage." This made it very hard to be consistent with clients that needed help or needed to have that skill modeled to them.

You are also required to work a weekend day. Your schedule would either be Sunday-Thursday or Tuesday- Saturday, Sounds okay right? WRONG, you are on call and required to work from 8am-8pm all of these days and on the other two days, you are required to be on call and answer your work phone if the office or a client calls. So pretty much say goodbye to any sort of life.

This company is very very busy. A great starting off point if you have zero experience in the social services field. Don't expect to stay for long and expect to be very very busy they have an enormous turn over rate!
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Pay, Mileage, No free time, On call
Great Atmosphere, can be stressful
Team Leader/Home Based Therapist II (Current Employee) –  INNovember 6, 2015
I believe IHBS does great work and truly makes a difference in client lives. However, they have a mandatory schedule that can be hectic including evening and weekends, which makes work and life balance difficult during those times. There is some flexibility in the scheduling, and they do offer great compensation and benefits including bonus money for taking additional hours.
Pros
Great atmosphere, lot's of bonus money offered
Cons
Job/life balance
Stressful, difficult work-life balance with limited support from management
Case Management/Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJuly 12, 2015
The best thing about this job is the professional experiences one gains which can be taken to a variety of other fields from research to further client service professions.

Compensation is not outstanding but the overtime bonus pay is quite generous if you can manage the added stress and paperwork associated. There are always opportunities for taking on more hours if you need to and it's pretty easy to get overtime as often as you want.

While this could be a good thing for some people, because there is always a need for workers to take on additional hours, it got to the point where I almost felt pressured to take on more than I could handle at times. Supervisors, management, and the referrals department tend to harass the clinical staff to take coverage, which, even though it's part of their job, becomes stressful and make it difficult to maintain healthy work/personal life boundaries and contributes to the company's extremely high voluntary turnover rate.

This contributed to my feeling that management seems to put company image above employee wellbeing. They spoke during group meetings about their desire to avoid employee burn out, yet don't offer the most generous PTO I've experience, particularly for the stress level of the job. And when people did call in, they would ask for justification for taking the personal time and required the employee to submit paperwork for each of their cases before allowing the employee to take off.

Additionally, I often had the feeling that management and my supervisors didn't really have my back. A couple of them were good, but I
  more... often felt micromanaged and judged from my primary supervisor. If there were an issue with a client, she told me to change the way I handled situations and seemed to assume I didn't handle things in the best possible way. She would report to her supervisor that she had counseled me rather than offering actual moral support, which is really what I would have benefited from. The stress from feeling pressured by my supervisor and generally without support from management eventually led to my making some errors due to stress and I eventually had to quit because I just felt burned out.

That said, I did learn a lot of skills and had a variety of experiences that look great on a resume. While this job wasn't something I ever wanted to do long term, it did look great on a resume.
Pros
Overtime compensation, opportunities for personal and professional challenges
Cons
Extremely high voluntary turnover rate, PTO is limited given how stressful the job is, extensive travel in personal vehicle that is not fully compensated, management is pro-company at expense of employees
Great manager, hard to get that many billable hours
Youth Counselor/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJune 19, 2015
I had a wonderful manager while working here. They were very understanding when I had a medical emergency. However, they require you to work one weekend day and have 30 hours of billable hours. This is high billing hours when you consider most of your appointments are not in town and many in other cities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ireland Home Based Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight