Island Hospital Employee Reviews

Good benefits for a high-stress job, but poor staffing and management resulted in a lot of interpersonal conflicts.
MLT Student (Former Employee) –  Anacortes, WAMarch 29, 2019
Social cliques were rampant in the laboratory, with an "us vs. them" mentality. If you got on well with one group, you'd be hated by another. Character assassination was prevalent and management had no control over the "old guard". I was present for a mass exodus of staff due to the poor environment and mismanagement of employee conflicts. I also noted one employee destroying patient samples to get another employee in trouble. I even saw multiple staff intentionally using the wrong sample types, despite manufacturer specifications. My concerns were brought to management, ignored, and I departed soon after.
Pros
Competitve pay, paid vacation time, good training experience
Cons
Skeleton crew, hostile work environment, unprofessional behavior
Family Feel
ICU Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Anacortes, WAFebruary 12, 2019
Co-workers are wonderful. Family feel throughout. The employees at Island always made you feel like you were part of the team. It was a wonderful environment focusing on teamwork.
Excellent leadership and pleasant working environment
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Anacortes, WAJanuary 22, 2019
Very flexible work environment, amiable employees, good cafeteria, fantastic benefits. The opportunities of working at a hospital this size are numerable. I had a wider scope of responsibility than I had at a really large hospital, which was more compartmentalized.
Great employees, poor leadership
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Anacortes, WADecember 29, 2018
Island Hospital lost their way. Used to be a great small town hospital. Not anymore. It is micro managed and the directors and supervisors just want a warm body there. They don't care about your well being. Can be a hostile work environment. You're just a number. Lab management is poor and they create a hostile work environment.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Poor leadership
check around for comparative employment before choosing to work here.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anacortes, WANovember 29, 2018
Constantly short staffed, Incompetent supervisor, non competitive wages (lowest paid compared to other offices in the area). Blatant favoritism among supervisor and staff. Equal treatment is not part of the supervisors vocabulary!

Medical director was wonderful. MOST coworkers were great to work with.
Pros
great director
Cons
poor lower management/wages/short staffed/unequal treatment of staff
fun workplace
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Anacortes, WANovember 6, 2018
Overall it was great place to work at and the most friendliest staff I've ever worked with. There was great teamwork! I had a very compassionate manager and always opened to listen to our ideas and our concerns.
Pros
great teamwork
Cons
nothing I can think of right now
Dignified work environgment, plagued by poor personel management
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Anacortes, WASeptember 21, 2018
I enjoyed my work at Island Hospital and generally felt well-compensated in salary and benefits. Schedule was extremely flexible although sometimes physically stressful. However the management team in the laboratory does not promote a healthy environment. Co-workers are pitted against each other, supportive attitudes are not encouraged, and divisive behavior is rewarded. The hospital's written policies demand that co-workers handle minor conflicts amongst each other, however this is not followed and much time is wasted by the management team hashing out problems that are better handled by revision of technical policies, institution of quality assurance practices, and team-building efforts. It is clear that a few hard-working team-oriented employees could have a positive effect if creative efforts were made to improve the atmosphere.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Negative atmosphere
Oncology Scheduler
Oncology Scheduler/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Anacortes, WASeptember 6, 2018
I loved my job! Mainly our patients inspired me on a daily basis to work hard for their healthcare. Coworkers and management was an occasional challenge, but that was related to their personal issues not the fault of the organization.
Pros
Loved our cancer patients!
Cons
Management had challenges
Great place
Medical Assistant, Job Shadowing (Former Employee) –  Anacortes, WASeptember 3, 2018
Many opportunities working for island hospital from department to position. The facility is nice and accommodating for patients and employees. This is a great place to work.
Great place to work with friendly staff
Admissions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anacortes, WAJune 27, 2018
I worked at IH for just under two years. Patient Access was a great department to work for with friendly, competent coworkers and fair management. My favorite part was having the power to brighten someone’s day by just a simple “Good morning” or “Have a great day”. You truly are the face of the hospital. I loved helping patients get checked in for the lab, surgery, diagnostic imaging and the ER. Most of the nurses and other staff was just as friendly as my own department. Overall, I loved my time there and if I ever move back to Washington I’d love to try to get my old job back!
Hostile work envirnoment
CNA/Phleb Tech, X-ray Tech (Former Employee) –  Lopez Island, WAJune 17, 2018
I worked at a remote location for Island Hospital, not the main hospital.
Several of the nursing staff were bullies and ran the show as the rural clinic manager was not experienced or effective. This created a very hostile work environment and unprofessional behavior that went unchecked.
The hospital has good benefits and option for advancement at the main campus and I am applying there for employment.
Fun place to work
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anacortes, WAMay 9, 2018
Amazing Environment, nurses and staff are great! The only down side is that the pay, whether a nurse or aide is less than the surrounding hospitals... to put that in perspective a new CNA with no experience gets paid about 1$ more than the housekeepers (EVS)...
Pros
Nice environment, great management
Cons
Pay is the lowest in the area
Good job, poor leadership
Admissions Counselor, Patient Access (Former Employee) –  Anacortes, WAJanuary 25, 2018
The Island Hospital promise is always pushed, rarely followed. Management looks out for one another, and the people are not valued. Great job, but could be a better experience if leadership treated valuable employees with the respect they deserve.
Pros
Variable shifts available.
Cons
No contingency plan in department, poor leadership.
Lost the heart of their mission statement along the way
Front Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Anacortes, WA 98221January 22, 2018
Under the direction of their HR Administrator, this once wonderful place to work has become less than beneficial to anyone.
The hospital was a great place for a long time.... Not anymore.
Pros
The front line workers
Cons
Administrators who know next to nothing about being a front line worker
Enjoy working with the patients at Island Hospital and majority of the nurses. Can improve if better communication within the staff
CNA/HUC (Current Employee) –  island hospital, anacortes WashingtomDecember 16, 2017
It's an ok place to start for non hospital experience individual
Need to be consistence with policy enforcement.
Need to be more professional
Need to be more respectful of coworker
Great Work Environment
EMT-B/Ambulance Driver (Current Employee) –  Anacortes, WAOctober 15, 2017
Not only is this the BEST hospital I've ever worked with, the staff and management are phenomenal!! This is the best casual job provider that I have ever worked for.
time to make a change
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  surgeryAugust 11, 2017
The job I have done for 14 Years is getting too much for my body to handle. It is a labor intensive position. I've asked for another shift, I believe that won't happen anytime soon. Just time to take care of me.
Benefits
Cons
management
Fast paced but small fun community
Centralized Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Anacortes, WAJuly 15, 2017
Fast paced job but fun small community.
Typical day of work is being logged onto the phone lines and taking incoming calls to schedule Radiology appointments. You need to verify the test being ordered is correct and has the correct authorization with the insurance company. You are to inform the patient of all the preps needed for the exam. Communication is key with this job!
Positive work environment great teamwork and facility support
Environmental Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Anacortes, WAJune 8, 2017
Island Hospital is a wonderful hospital to work for. Most staff members get along very well and work together to make our days and patience live a success. We come across many challenges each day but managed to get through them strong. Making sure our patients needs are met in a timely manner and a level of Excellence is one of our goals. Most staff carry a high level of compassion and excellence in supporting our patients and visitors.
Pros
Farmers Market
Stable place to work
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Anacortes, WAApril 26, 2017
Pay does not match required workload. Communication to direct manager only even though higher management giving directives. Very little recognition for working over and above requirements.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Island Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Island Hospital Reviews by Location