Italian Home for Children Employee Reviews

great place to work
prefer not to say (Current Employee) –  Jamaica Plain, MAAugust 11, 2018
Great place to work, but too stressful, not enough support, and very poor on boarding and training. People did warn me about what I was getting into, but I thought because I liked the people who interviewed me that it would be okay.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
highly stressful environment, poor training, poor management
Hectic Work environment
Guidance Counselor (Former Employee) –  Jamaica Plain, MAJuly 10, 2018
The staff was unorganized the children are treated different based on favoritism. Some staff are not trust worthy, taking kids spending money, restraining children using excessive force. This place needs structure and people who genuinely care about children
kids are great Management HORRID
Supervisor council (Former Employee) –  Jamaica Plain, MAJune 9, 2018
the mgmt is not professional. When there is a problem they do not back you up. Its a fly by place. Sadly its not about the kids. The higher ups like it when you are there to save them when they can not reach anyone to take a shift, but when there is a problem watch your back they do not care about you. I have seen them fire people and not stand behind them after a problem has happened. I have seen kids lie about a person and they believe the kids and not the adult. These kids are not stable the family is broken and we are here to be the glue to hold them together and yet the help is treated like yesterdays garbage.. Do not work Here!
Pros
Loving kids and kids that need love
Cons
the Management sucks
Ihfc
RESIDENTIAL COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  East Freetown, MAMay 29, 2018
It is a pretty good job, but can be difficult when the children are acting out, and they DO hit, bite, kick, and swear at you. It becomes much easier once the children know and respect you more. Only downside is the pay and the lack of team work due to cliques.
fun place to work
House Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jamaica Plain, MAJanuary 31, 2018
It was a great experience for me to work to the Italian home, I have nothing but good memories there! people treated you well with respect and the kids was joyful to work with
Pros
great colleges
Cons
no breaks
Love the history, mission, and current day impact
Manager (Current Employee) –  Jamaica Plain, MAJanuary 5, 2018
There's a lot to learn about working with kids and families with trauma backgrounds. Managers are very supportive. It's a great team. Everyone who works here seems to love working with the clients and has a passion for helping. It's a fun place to work too.
Pros
peers are fun to work with, really good time off and benefits, accessible to T bus
Cons
no 403B match
If you love kids
Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 3, 2018
This is extremely meaningful work if you love kids and want to help those in need. The pay is the same as other places but this place gives more time off. They do some other great things like help with your school loans.
Extreme lack of Professionalism!
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  East Freetown, MAAugust 22, 2017
Save your time, and work anywhere but here! The lack of professionalism and accountability of Management is a joke. The management treat their employees like garbage except if your dating one of them. Employees never get appreciated for anything, and they will toss u like garbage. The East Freetown Campus is ran horrible and im surprised they still are open.
Cons
No breaks, lack of management skills, forced to work when employees dont come in. Play favorites with employees.
Save your energy
Therapeutic Support Staff (Former Employee) –  East Freetown, MAAugust 6, 2017
Good job opportunity to help the kids.. other than that the staff and management is horrible.. you have staff members dating the supervisor and always playing favorites.. you never get acknowledged for the good work that you do.. and the drama in the houses between staff is unbelievable..
Pros
Helping the kids
Cons
Staff, management, drama
The kids
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 11, 2017
working with the kids is the best part of the job. There are fun activities for the kids. The staff is good to work with and they are very helpful. Its a great team.
Child Care Worker
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Jamaica Plain, MAMay 25, 2017
A typical day would be finding activities for the clients to do the following day. The hardest part of the job was the support of management. For the years I was employed at the Italian Home for Children, it have been a great experience learning about the children and deescalation trainings.
Pros
Working with Children
Cons
Management Support
productive work place
Child care worker (Former Employee) –  Jamaica Plain, MA 02130January 27, 2017
well easy place where everyone gets along and the main focus is on helping the children become better for themselves to make the right choices instead of out lashing and being unsafe we want to help them that there more to what you bring to the table
Excellent place to work being with children is always an adventure.
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Freetown, MAJanuary 5, 2017
Great place to work . Eye opening to some of the harsh realities of life. But I very much enjoyed bringing love and light to the children of IHC.
Pros
Seeing kids light up over simple things.
Cons
Hearing horrible stories of abuse
Productivity
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jamaica Plain, MADecember 29, 2016
I have nothing but great memory and awesome expirience working for italian home. The kids were so joyful and my coworkers were like family. I would say Italian home for CHildren was a second home to me, I would look forward every morning just to work for the, and learned new things in my journey. WOn great awards such as employee of the year, Outstanding achievements award and also the Peg Campbell Shaw Award.
Pros
Make safety first for the children and the entire biulding.
Cons
micromanaging
Great position
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 18, 2016
The hours are flexible. You are offered a decent meal time for breaks. Nice opportunity to meet new people. Good co- workers
Majority of the time it is a fun place to work
Residential Department, Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 16, 2016
There is never a typical day at work. It is always a different day based off the type of day our clients are having and if we have enough staff working that shift. The coworkers are very different as well, you never know what kind of day it is going to be with them. But, because everyone is soo different I have learned to keep a professional attitude no matter what type of attitude someone has.
Review.
Lead Teacher in CBAT (Former Employee) –  Jamaica Plain, MAJuly 12, 2016
I can't write an official review at this time, but I will say that I am grateful for the experience. My work with the children in my care vastly expanded my knowledge base in ways I never expected.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Fun and Memorable
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Jamaica Plain, MAJune 14, 2016
Your able to help clients that actually benefit from the program. Your able to witness the growth and constant progress. You will experience these moments that you will never forget. You grow friendships with your co-workers and work as a team on a daily basis. Not only are coming to work to do your job, but your also given the opportunity to have fun and be a kid again with these children.
Pros
fun events
Enjoyable Work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 21, 2016
Love the environment and what the company does as a whole. The people of the company truly care about their work and caring for the kids. Comforting and welcoming place to work.
fun place to work
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Jamaica Plain, MAFebruary 19, 2016
you know that you are making a difference in these children's lives. you can see it for your self as well as feel the appreciation from the children them selves.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Italian Home for Children. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about