italki logo
italki

italki Employee Reviews

4.4
Work-Life Balance

Great platform with flexibility to work when you like

This is a great platform for teachers, instructors, and tutors. You set your own pay and hours of availability. The learning and training resources they offer to students and instructors are great.

Pros

Set your own schedule and pay, teaching & learning resources

Excellent work from home opportunity

I have worked on Italki for 3 years. It is hands down the best platform for language instructors. You can control your compensation & work schedule, and Italki provides decent support if any issues come up.

Teacher at italki for over a year

I have taught hundreds of classes on Italki. It allows you a lot of freedom on how to conduct your classes as long as students are happy. It is easy to get into but the pay is very low. As it is a market place it is very easy for students to go to another teacher because there are thousands of them competing with each other. Paycan be below minimum wage in the USA though you set your own rate. The job is not ment to be full time and it is intended to be a side hustle.

Pros

Flexibility, work from home, students are motivated adults

Cons

Very low pay, Competitive for teachers because it is a market place

fun, diverse, exciting

italki opened my eyes to the world. I like that I can teach Arabic there effortlessly to students from all over the world and talk about language, culture, history, etc

Pros

online, fun, easy, convenient

Overall good but commission a little high

I've worked for a while on italki teaching English and Russian. What I really like about the site is how easy it is to find students - or more specifically, for students to find you. As a native English teacher fluent in Russian, I find I have quite a high level of demand from Russian-speaking students. It's also totally flexible - you choose when you're available to work and how much you charge for your various lessons. I like that you can offer different kinds of lessons and packages and price them accordingly. If you're an experienced teacher with lots of resources on hand and good conversation skills, I don't see any reason you couldn't earn a full-time living on italki. I personally don't myself, because I wouldn't want to teach for 30 hours a week, but I know there are those who do. What I also really like about italki compared to teaching privately is their cancellation policy - students can't just no-show you at the last minute and expect to get away without compensating you for your time. If someone wants to cancel you have to agree to it. The one downside of the site is earning capacity feels a little limited in two ways - the amount you can realistically charge due to the sheer number of other English teachers on the site (the most I charge is $22 per hour), and the fact that italki take 15% commission for every lesson you teach. The commission thing can get quite annoying, because even by charging more for your lessons, you just end up paying more in commission. Of course they need to make money, but I think either 10% or just a flat $1-$2 rate per lesson would -

Pros

Easy to get work, good cancellation policy, flexible

Cons

15% commission for every lesson you teach

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Online Job..The Company Sucks.

They no longer look after their Teachers since May 2020. After 2 years of working for Italki ..I am ready to leave...They are AWFUL .. Do not work here if you want to make $$

Cons

You will no longer get students..

Fun and Flexible job

This job allows you to fully manage your time and income. You can meet students from different background and ages and you area able to manage your schedule 100%.

An easy going and fun place to work. Work on own time.

I love the fact that I can make my own hours and I am in charge of my work life. I love meeting all the new people. The hardest part of this job is getting clients. Interaction and teaching are the most enjoyable parts of this job.

Company is a joke, teachers obviously not the least bit qualified, working for 1 dollar an hour!

This is absolutely ridiculous. I just received a notification that my application had been rejected because they already had such a large number of qualified teachers. I've spoken english every day of my life, have several years of teaching experience and I will guarantee you my english is far better than the thousands of teachers they have listed whose first language is even listed as being chinese, malaysian, etc. Who are working for 2 dollars an hour! Absurd!!!! It's ridiculous. They have so many teachers working for almost nothing whose first language is obviously not even english. Just look through their lists!!! The quality is laughable. The guy from customer service who communicated with me couldn't even speak english well! English-language sweatshop!

Worse and worse

I've taught there for 3 years. They have no idea of what teachers need. They keep changing things for the worse and ignore feedback. Many teachers are revolting after the new website was launched.

great flexible work

Great to meet new students and manage your own time. Teachers work independently, plan their lessons, select their own materials and teach students 1-1 or in groups.

Propio horario

Es bueno y divertida la idea de comunicarte con personas alrededor de todo el mundo, pero hay muchos profesores y tutores para el número de alumnos.

fun productive job that expose you’ve to different cultures

nice working environment, good management, and really nice place to learn different cultures. can take much time away from your personal life, by they are flexible with time schedule

Pros

meeting different people

Cons

hard to balance personal to work life sometimes

Español en línea via Skype

Comodidad de trabajar en línea desde cualquier lugar.

Great place to be your own boss

If you enjoy teaching English online to foreign peoples, then you will enjoy this. I managed my own schedule, and the schedules of my fellow workers, and worked my way to have more students.

Pros

Was my own boss

Cons

no benefits

You are in control of what you make.

Based on your qualifications of teaching your native language, you control how little or how much you make. You are an independent contractor who sets your own price and your own hours.

Pros

You set your own time and your salary

Cons

you have to market for yourself

Self-Paced

You set your salary and hours. You are your own boss and you determine how successful you will be. You must be independent and willing to take the initiative to work here.

Working for this company is awesome and I would not give it up for the world.

The most enjoyable part of this job is that I work from the comfort of my home and I am an independent contractor. I talk with people from all over the world and I also learn about other cultures and countries.

Pros

100% Completely independent and flexible

Cons

Insurance not available

very good platform to exchange language.

I can make friends.I can use my knowledge to help people. I am aware of different culture around the world. Italki give is convenient to change time zone. We don't need to worry about we are in different time zone.

Italki

This is a pretty great job if you need quick money or money on the side. if you are in a real pinch this is what you do. Work is very fun and it's very interactive of course because you're teaching. The job really requires you to be a socially advanced. The management was very organized I felt that it was all held together really well except the process of getting paid was incredibly lengthy. The hardest part of the job is trying to accommodate the students learning desires because they all have different methods. Also getting them to open up was really hard because students can be very shy but part of the job is to make things more comfortable. The most enjoyable part was getting to know your students. I met a lot of people and they were all so eager to learn which was really great.

Flexible company

Excellent company to connect learners and teachers in a non-threatening way. Hours are flexible and the pay is determined by teacher. Most enjoyable part is to connect with people from all over the world.

Pros

set your own schedule

Cons

indeterminate payday

Ask a question about working or interviewing at italki. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2