iTutorGroup
53Below average
2.7

iTutorGroup Employee Reviews

United States159 reviews
This company’s education system is great. But, the computer based mangers are terrible. No one cared about you as a person just a number. I taught from age 4 to age 33 and I had wonderful reviews.
Pros
Cons
Manager
There is no job security and it is like a autocratic system. You get more classes based on your physical appearances. Moreover, the hourly wage is below minimum wage.
The pay is awful. If you want to do well, you will need to spend some time planning your lessons (which is something they claim they do for you, but teacher notes are always blank). A lot of times you wont know that you have a class until an hour before, and if you happen to be in class during that hour before you may be surprised by a new class on your schedule that you were not expecting. They claim to have flexible hours, and that you can change your fixed schedule, but this is a lie. They are able to reject your schedule at will, and may not give an explanation. There is little help available, and every time that I have reached out for help, they say that my issue will be addressed, but then they never do anything to address issues. This company is awful, and they will lie and tell you anything to get you to take a job. They absolutely do not care about their teachers.

DO NOT ACCEPT AN OFFER FROM THIS COMPANY. YOU WILL REGRET IT....
Pros
work from home
Cons
shifts just pop up, the lesson plans are not plans, tons of unpaid training, you get rated by children, they do not care about their teachers, they do not care about their students, they only care about money
Introduction:
This company has a lot of potential to be great to both their employees and their customers but it fails miserably. It is horribly managed and simple issues are improperly solved.

Hours:

It's a 0 hours guaranteed type of contract, however you have to be available and glued to their system throughout every minute of your schedule because a random class can be scheduled up to 1 hour prior to the start time. If you don't notice this class scheduled or you're not prepared, you are marked absent and severely punished (they take money off your wages).

Ratings and Random Supensions:

The job also depends on students' ratings. Students rarely rate you, but if another student in the class had a noisy background the teacher will get rated a 1/10. Ratings cannot be reviewed or disputed and if your ratings are not at least 9.50/10 you are abruptly suspended. They will tell you to complete a lot of extra training for your suspension to end in a week, and you will waste your time doing this yet your suspension will not end. They will also not reply to your emails.

Pay:

The pay is ok for 25 minute sessions ($7- $8). However for 45 minute session it is only $2! You can get up to $1 extra for each student that rates you 10/10 in that session but they rarely rate you! Two will rate you 10/10, three will not rate you and one will rate you 5/10 because they felt they didn't have enough speaking time or someone's background was noisy. When one student rates you lower than 8 money is taken off your pay!

Conclusion:

There are so many more things wrong with this employer
 - more...
Pros
Quick to hire you.
Cons
Even quicker to lose you.
tutorabc offers highly flexible hours.
you can choose your classes 1 week beforehand

you can even cancel classes the day prior due to emergency

the technicians and the schedulers are on point with issues.

the pay is high if you work full time

you work from home
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
I've been with itutorgroup for almost 4 years
nothing really negative that i've encountered if you just do what you are suppose to do.

Meaning, don't be late, don't skip classes, don't end sessions early, follow the rules.

The base rate increases 5% for every 1000 session hours taught,

which most full time consultant can achieve in 5~6 months.

this is better than most of the companies.
I work with adults only. No kids.
There are no fixed schedules with adults. Completely random schedule day to day and week to week.

You learn your schedule with only 10-12 hours advance notice MAX. So, if you have a class at 7am, you will learn of it at 10-11pm the night before. Or even after you go to bed! Wanna wake up at 7 to find out if you have work? Thought not.

Plus, classes can disappear AFTER they appear on your schedule. No explanation.

I offer 8 hours of availability everyday of the month, but I average only 50-60 hours per month. Notice: the ad says you can "book" as many hours as you want. You might be busy 20-30% of your schedule if you're very lucky.

You have been warned.
Pros
serious students
Cons
no fixed schedule, short notice, random hours
The company treats you like nothing more than a number. And you were made aware of this from the get-go.

Support: Non existent. Your emails will get you nowhere: no replies or very generic messages.

Pay: Your pay will be low. The algorithms could be programmed to place a cap on your earnings. The pay structure could be set up as such: 9$/hr for junior classes and half 5$ for adult classes. They will tell you that you will be getting mainly junior classes at the point of hiring. Then, when you on-board and start teaching, schedulers will tell you that they can't guarantee session types. Thumbs up or likes don't matter.

Classes: In the very beginning, you will get lots of classes. Fully booked schedule. Then, naturally you'd ponder the possibility of ditching your other job for this job. Everyone does that. As soon as you focus on this job with iTutor, your bookings will drop. They are able to block off parts or all of your schedules so your regular students or clients who favorite you will never be able to book you. This is how they 'distribute' classes to teachers. It does not matter how high of a rating you have. My final rating was 9.98 last month and my earnings were the lowest. Think about it, the company maximizes profits by assigning students to low rating teachers. At the end of the month, they pay out less bonuses.

Go figure.

The company pays very little ...., but it does offer flexibility.

\
Since iTutor only pays per each class you teach, if you aren't scheduled classes, you aren't paid. iTutor is constantly hiring new teachers despite not having the students to accommodate them, which leads to most teachers only teaching a very few classes per day despite scheduling many hours. Don't take this job unless you love not working but constantly having to watch your schedule. Very young children are allowed to rate your performance, which directly affects your pay. If their connection is bad or if there are technical issues, they can also rate you poorly which affects your pay and can potentially get you fired. I don't recommend this company to anyone.
iTutorGroup is an awful company that exploits its teachers to profit from. They will pay $5/hour with "bonuses" in the form of a long and tedious "student feedback" review which is non-obligatoy. If left blank, you will receive no "bonus". If you make a complaint or suggestions, they will go unnoticed. Do not work for this scam.
Don't even look their way. They are absolutely horrendous company with no care for tutors. They are unresponsive and all they care about is making money and not helping students. Their whole organization is disorganized and you won't receive ANY support.

Almost no classes are ever scheduled and they work with shady companies to do your Background Check. I would be VERY careful about giving them your personal information. Please don't even apply.
This has been one colossal, unacceptable hassle and waste. I paid for a course with online teaching practice, an upgrade from a previous certificate I had. INTESOL didn’t tell me about all the extra equipment I would need for the teaching practice. So, I ordered everything late, in the midst of this pandemic and experienced huge mailing delays. Everything took weeks to arrives and none of it was covered in my fees. In the meantime, I did all iTutorGroup’s extra (surprise) training and fulfilled all their other high standards despite not being an employee or destined to be paid for my two weeks’ worth of free work for them. I even had to print up a giant poster piece by piece and line it up perfectly, etc. Their programs activated my computer’s anti-malware response. This took yet another week to settle. Still, iTutorGroup demands more and refuses to let me teach. The latest issue is that I followed instructions they gave but want to take back; once again, their issues are my problem to fix. I’ve had enough. This isn’t worth the effort and hasn’t been such for a long time.
ITG demands employees pay for polo shirt, paper/ink/tape for backdrop, puppets, flashcards, whiteboard, Manycam; TEFL. Expectations are revealed after customer ratings begin. Teachers are exploited.
Pros
The students are motivated.
Cons
Teacher time and money is exploited for low wages and high expectations.
After 6 months, I basically had it with their treatment of teachers - "consultants" they call us - and began working for another online English language organization a couple of weeks ago.

One reason is that iTutorGroup has extreme punitive measures for cancelling classes or not showing up to a class, including for reasons that are beyond our control, such as power outages, downed internet, etc. They suspend your schedule for 24 hours and would often deduct pay (aside from the fact that you lost the pay for all your classes). Very harsh. More so, you are only allowed 6 "valid" excuses for absences in a 6 month period and, despite being the approval of the excuses, they still do not reinstate your schedule nor give the deductions back. Adding insult to injury, an automatic email is sent explaining how unprofessional this conduct is and how irresponsible you are, including threats of suspension and termination. There is no recourse for this. It's so black and white, and their management staff refuses to listen or take into consideration that things happen that are beyond the control of the teacher.

Concerning pay...the half-hour classes for kids and teens is acceptable, however, only if you get the 50+ session bonus and the attendance bonus each month. The latter is virtually impossible especially if you have an emergency or something like a power outage. Missing just one class, excused or not, causes you to lose your entire bonus for the month. For the 45-minute group classes, the base rate pay is horrible, almost demeaning. Aside from being inconsistent between teachers,
 - more...
First, the pay is not what is advertised. You'll make 7 USD for a 25-minute class. For a 40/45 minute class, you'll make 11 USD. They'll start you out with a bunch of $7, 25-minute classes. Then, as you grow more familiar with the company, they'll have you teach 45-minute classes that take up your time and pay less. The whole thing is a sham! So thankful I quit.
a typical day at work: poor
what i learned: i was not respected

management: none

workplace culture: terrible

hardest part of the job: working

most enjoyable part: quitting
Pros
Cons
everything
The pay they advertise is misleading- it’s quite likely you will make 7.5 USD an hour if your students in the 45 min classes don’t rate you (which is very often).
Pros
You can work at home. The lessons are easy and engaging.
Cons
Pay and schedule
No more driving and dealing with annoying bosses/managers. I can just work from home whenever I want! Now I get to spend more quality time with my baby at home and still get a decent pay.
Pros
Flexible time schedule
Cons
Sometimes it’s slow and you won’t get scheduled with classes
I've been working at iTutorgroup for over 3 years, the following are my person takes on the pros and cons
PROs:

1.)Flexibility:Let's be honest here, how many jobs allow you to work from home at any hour you would possible want? If I got an emergency leave or person leave, most likely 90% of the time it will be approved.

2.)Compensation:It really depends on how much time you put into it. But at least the hourly wage is 5* of the base hourly wage in the country I teach from.

3.)Culture diversity:Most of the students are Chinese, you can actually learn about their culture through teaching them.

4.)Absence: iTutorgroup is absolutely lenient on this. 6 absences within 6 months are allowed, and you have 1 absence bypass per every 30 day...which employer in the world would still hire you if you're absent every month...?

CONs:

1.)You have basically no channels to know any of your colleagues.

2.)Your thoughts or feedback will not be heard.
I think they exploit certain people depending where you come from. The minimum pay is supposed to be 5USd an hour but I was offered 1USD. Definitely a scam!
If you're looking for a remote job, this is great for scheduling and canceling classes! Otherwise, everything else sucks!

1. It is tough to get in contact with someone because of issues. The teacher will get kicked out of class and be marked absent if you don't enter by a specific time before class (even with an IT issue), then the teacher gets deducted money for being absent.

2. When talking to an IT, you can only send one message at a time. The system won't let you submit more than one message; then, you have to wait for the IT person to reply. It is an excellent way of communicating <adding sarcasm>.

3. Each class can have more than two students per class, especially on the weekends, and the kids are different levels (example: level 5 and 2) Itutor needs to implement a placement test that works.

4. The IT person does not help with noise, echo, or background noise from students. They will adjust the volume from their side, but the result will be the IT person telling you to MUTE their mic. Great way to teach students (sarcasm again). It should be mandatory for them to use a headset and a mic or be in a quiet room.

5. They've updated their lessons, but they are still boring...no matter how much pizazz you put into it.

Not worth the stress and time.

If you're looking for an online teaching gig with a great company, definitely sort out other companies. There are tons!
Ask a question about working or interviewing at iTutorGroup. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7