iTutorGroup Employee Reviews

part-time only
English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Home BasedMay 6, 2019
I earned less than 500 monthly so only for part-time and if you have technical difficulties than it’s hard to get in touch with tech guys. However they have the lesson plans and most of the time you get to pick when you have class, the students are really nice as well.
Pros
They have the lesson plans already and the students are nice.
Cons
Tech support problems
Hate this place
teacher (Current Employee) –  Paper Mill, PAApril 18, 2019
I went to work for this company in good faith and this company does not care about their tutors. I am averaging $10 per hour, less than half of what is advertised, due to their unfair policies. Do NOT work for this company, there are too many others to work for...
Fun
Online English Teacher (Current Employee) –  OnlineApril 15, 2019
Fun to teach clients of all ages. You learn how to deal with different people and personalities. You can get help from the company through a messaging service depending on what the problem is. You need to wear a red t-shirt and have an iTutorGroup backdrop. The hardest part of the job is dealing with IT problems whilst in class. The easiest part is teaching children and using props etc. because its fun!
Pros
Work at home with chosen working hours.
Cons
Strict Internet requirements.
Lengthy, expenisve ˝onboarding process˝
English Teacher (ESL) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 22, 2019
I invested time & money in a time-intensive ˝onboarding process˝ providing all my degree & teaching certificates, writing biographies, uploading photos etc. I also invested in some expensive noise-cancelling headphones with a mic for the purposes of giving classes and a red polo shirt. Then my contract was ended and my account closed for no reason before I had even had chance to give any classes. I have been left out of pocket. Bad experience
Pros
Cons
See above
An okay enough environment if you are just entry level
English Tutor (Former Employee) –  RemoteMarch 14, 2019
As an entry-level teacher with no experience and a need for some quick dollars, iTutorgroup is alright. However, do not expect any career advancement or raise in salary. Work can be quite stressful especially since student rating directly affects your pay. This is something you have hardly any control over because a student can be having a bad day and give you a low rating which you can do nothing about. Tech support is terrible but as long as you have limited tech problems you should be fine.
Unpredictable and Inconsistent
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 9, 2019
Like many, I began my online teaching career with 100% enthusiasm and a willingness to work hard. Most of my students have been wonderful. Policies keep changing, contracts are pulled out from under you without warning and altered without notice and minimum weekly requirements are changed on a whim. Tech issues are ongoing and consultants are blamed and penalized when clearly there are glitches in the ever changing teaching platform. I get there are growing pains with new management taking over. However, I can't commit to a company that is constantly setting me up for failure. I just reached senior status and naturally, it makes sense to set me up to fail so I can choose to quit. This is a smooth tactic they use. Not an issue, I'm highly qualified and have found other employment that is consistent and steady without the drama and anguish of things malfunctioning every time I'm teaching. Don't expect respect with this company. Be prepared to be at their mercy and do things their way. They also favor young millennials who love being the center of attention. It's become more about entertainment than teaching.
Pros
Great for those who have lots of time on their hands to kiss booty
Cons
Tech issues, lack of support and communication
Horrible company and business practices
Consultant (Former Employee) –  ChinaFebruary 22, 2019
This is the most awful company to work for, they do not care if there is an issue and it is not in your control, they will blame you and not listen. They use a system and live by that system regardless of what happened. No communication, lack of employee support, unreasonable demands, and an awful system. All they know how to do is threaten and not listen. One way. Don't waste your time!! This company should not be out there. They will drop you in an instant without any voice from you, just their outdated and useless system. Beware! They are rude, do not care, and totally unreasonable. The training is ridiculous and there are so many versions of what or what not to do. They use employees for their gain. They take advantage of you as they think we are desperate.
Unrealistic expectations
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 24, 2019
I was employed for less than 5 months and worked fewer that 500 session hours before I was told my performance was not good enough and they had no hope for my improvement.

The company expects consultants to maintain a 9.5 rating average, but give you very little in the way of feedback except to say "don't do this" without offering constructive guidance.

I never spoke to another human from the company besides my students and felt no real connection to my employer. After I was hired, my recruiter and "supervisor" never spoke to me or followed up with how I was doing in the company. There was no mentoring. They gave us mediocre live video training and then tossed us into the digital classroom and expected us to make 10s and 9s.

Their compensation compared to their expectations is laughable. They paid me $8/25 minute class and $7.5/45 minute lesson. If a student gave me less than an 8 rating on a 45 minute lesson, they TOOK money from me.
Okay workplace until they don't need you anymore
Teacher/Coach (Former Employee) –  Paducah, KYJanuary 14, 2019
I really liked the students I came in contact with on a daily basis. The worst part was when I did not understand daylight savings and I was pretty much "fired" for it. I contacted the company about my last payment for the work I did in November 2018, but they have not gotten back to me and it has been at least a month now. I would not recommend this job to anyone on the basis of how they are treating me.
Pros
interaction with students
Cons
management, communication
Feels like I am employed by robots
Online/remote English teacher (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 7, 2019
The employers/people in charge don't treat you like humans. They promise high pay potential but never actually offer it. On average, I am paid far BELOW the minimum wage.
Great working atmosphere from home
English Tutor (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeDecember 29, 2018
I enjoy working with individuals from across the world. It has helped to improve my social & communication skills. Although at times it can be frustrating adapting to the management changes in the way things operate, but the overall experience has been pleasurable. Meeting new people on a consistent basis has been the most enjoyable part of the job for me.
Pros
Work from home, set your own schedule, determine your paycheck
Cons
Absent rating process, lack of priority sessions unless you commit to a set schedule
Excellent
Master Consultant (Current Employee) –  remoteDecember 19, 2018
ITutor is a great company to work for. I enjoy the part time hours, the flexibility and the structure of the organizations operations. The company has well developed lesson plans and organized scheduling. The employee portal revisions are nicely done.
Pros
flexibility, remote, fun, great lesson plans
Cons
scheduling issues, earning $
Flexible and fun place to work.
ESL Teacher for Tutor ABC (Current Employee) –  Home BasedDecember 5, 2018
Since working for itutorgroup I have had the opportunity to meet and talk to a wide variety of students . I have enjoyed interacting with my students and have learned quite a lot about asian culture. I teach the students on a learning platform and connect with them remotely. The hardest part of the job is dealing with technical problems, which can occur without warning. However, the technical team at itutorgroup is always available to help if I need them. I love interacting with the younger students. Their energy and enthusiasm about learning is infectious and keeps the job exciting!
Work hard Play hard
Teacher (Current Employee) –  USANovember 24, 2018
A typical day at work with iTutorGroup is what you make it. I have learned how to be extremely cautious of the technical aspects of the job. This makes me a bit nervous, but also allows for growth as a person. I do work hard teaching and giving of myself to students to meet their needs.
The workplace culture is whatever you make it. You are dealing with yourself and a student or students all day everyday. Help and guidance are always available and always on time. There has not been one issue for me with IT, Schedulers, or any other entity when it comes to getting my questions answered. I will say there is a specific way in which the company follows the chain of command, but this is in any job. Learn it and follow it, or leave the company.
I love the job, the money, the ability to work when I want to and the request to work more, if I request to do so.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, great money, excellent personal growth
Cons
student feedback can be harsh sometimes
1.5$ per hour
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PANovember 17, 2018
Worst company ever.... They pay 1.5$ per session.. And when I finally made 100$ after nights and nights of teaching.. I RECEIVED 48$... So even if you are starving, don t repeat my mistake...
Excellent Part-Time Work for Energetic Teacher
Consultant (Current Employee) –  OnlineOctober 16, 2018
I've seen a lot of reviews of the company which haven't fit my experience at all, so I wanted to put in my two cents. I've had a fantastic time with this organization. It would ESPECIALLY be awesome for a retired teacher or a new teacher who has yet to find a permanent position.

I find the pay to be very good for the amount of prep work (zero) and flexibility (you just tell them when you want to work-hours are available 24/7). I was initially disappointed in the base hourly rate I was offered, but since I began months ago, I've always earned above that rate. I've been pleasantly surprised at all the opportunities for bonuses, just for showing up and doing your best. Another note: I was relieved to find the paycheck arrived in my account exactly as promised. You can never be sure with some companies. This one's payroll works smoothly.

Getting started is a little bit of a hassle, but get through it with a smile, and you'll be glad you did. You go through the tech tests to be sure your equipment is adequate, take a very short English test, interview and then train for a few hours online. There is a tiny bit of financial commitment up front, because you must purchase a webcam and headset if you don't already have one, and a few red polo shirts. Beyond that, once you're through training, which CAN be done in under a week if you're dedicated, all you need is a good internet connection, a stable computer (I use an ideapad from Lenovo, whatever works for you.), and ten or more hours a week you can devote to being in a quiet space without being interrupted. (I do two hours five
  more... days a week, between putting my kid to bed and sleeping. Easy.)

Also keep in mind that as an international company, they do not take out taxes, so it is a good idea to set aside 25% for savings to be dipped into on tax day. But especially if you are paying down debt or student loans, it's a great part-time paycheck. Beats waiting tables and cleaning floors!

I've already recommended the job to several of my teacher friends, and it's enabled one to quit his night job, which was manual labor, and spend more time with his kid. I call that a win.

Hope this helps someone!
Pros
Awesome for retired teacher or certified teacher without permanent position, especially. Choose your hours. Zero prep. Fun students. Easy bonuses.
Cons
At times, communication is somewhat difficult within the company, but remember that you're crossing time zones and datelines, and interacting with many, many people for whom English is a second language. If you need something clarified, just ask.
Supplemental Work
Online ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Mount Ida, AR USAOctober 16, 2018
I enjoyed working at TutorABC but, it was hard to find any stability with their company. I also found it hard to take them seriously as there was no advancing with them, and their management was very poor. They did not help you when you had problems. The pay was not great but you didn't have to do much, so I guess for this company it is ok.
Pros
Very Relaxed
Cons
Not enough pay, Poor management, No advancement opportunities.
Productive and great online work
SECOND LANGUAGE ENGLISH TEACHER (Former Employee) –  OnlineSeptember 26, 2018
Online work that allows you to set your own hours and work unsupervised. So a great deal of organisational skills are required as well as patience and effective communication.
Greedy
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Home BasedSeptember 19, 2018
Be smart and don't work here because they are very greedy about making money. Predatory company taking advantage of teachers and bullying them. You can't fight them.
Fun and flexible work where I can teach students English online and make the most of my personal life
ENGLISH CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  OnlineSeptember 16, 2018
iTutorGroup is a very good work place if you wish to earn money on a part time basis. The working hours are very flexible and the training and support is great. The online teachers are always here to guide and help you in you are a new consultant so as to make your teaching experience as easy as possible.

I learnt how to be patient, encouraging and always uses positive reinforcements with students to help them grow and get better in their journey.

Additionally, I learnt about how to prepare my teaching material, planning ahead of class and managing my time during classes to make it interesting and knowledgeable.
Pros
Flexible schedule, bonus
Cons
Low base salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at iTutorGroup. Our community is ready to answer.