iTutorGroup logo
iTutorGroup
Happiness rating is 59 out of 100Below average

iTutorGroup Employee Reviews

Ok part time job but scheduling adjustments are setup for failure

You sometimes teach single clients or groups of clients at once. You don’t get paid extra for teaching groups. Scheduling is difficult. You put in requests for leave and find they still schedule you to work. The people who handle schedules act like they don’t know what they are doing. They allow you to have 6 absences in 6 months before firing you. But it’s a setup. Because they don’t really handle your schedule correctly so it purposely causes you to miss classes. They schedule you at the last minute for classes without you knowing it. You end up missing classes and then they fire you. Feels like a scam. Also you I only get paid once a month and based on 30 minutes of time even though some of the classes are 40 minutes long.

Pros

Good part time job

Cons

They set you up to fail.

Awful

I have worked with this company for three years, at first they were a good, solid company. Not perfect but good. As time went on it got worse and worse. They suspended me for their tech mistakes (even though I had screenshot proof), they dropped my pay by a third! They said it is the new payment structure that everyone is "so excited" About. What a joke. It is straight disrespectful! They don't value their teachers at all. These days I only use them as a back-up to teach a few classes a month when my main company is a bit slow. I will be replacing them as soon as possible.

Pros

Flexible hours and attendance

Cons

Everything else

Teachers are not valued

ITutorGroup does not care about their employees. You’re docked pay for little to no reason. They will find a reason. The hours are only early in the morning (6am-9am) or late at night (8pm-1am). Negative interactions with clients are ignored and if you are given a low score from the client after letting the parent know what happened, nothing will happen and the low rating will be left on your teaching page.

It is a Great Source of Side Income

If you are looking for a side job, I would recommend this one. If you are a busy person, you can work for 5 hours teaching kids the most valuable language in the world. I recommend iTutorGroup for the flexibility and meaning it adds to my life.

Pros

Meaningful, Flexible

Cons

Cancelled classes, Longer classes paying less

Wonderful experience

Lots of company regulations, Chinese style.Loved the students, but they were never the same from one time to the next. Great lesson plans selected by the company, but they were lacking in creativity and instructional diversity.Hours were pretty tough due to the 13 hr time difference.Pay was good, but very inconsistent from one set of evaluations to the next.I would be happy to do it again.

Pros

Wonderful students

Cons

To many unnecessary and untrusting regulations

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

Waste of time

Company clearly prioritizes and schedules more lessons for teachers who have been with them longer. Joined last year and after March barely got any lessons. You can be notified of a lesson even one hour before it starts so there's a lot of waiting about and if you've booked a whole day and you get no lessons, then it's a whole day wasted. The pay is also terrible if students don't rate you.

Pros

Get to meet and chat with great students

Cons

There's a lot!

This company used to be great but lately it's terrible.

I have been working at this company for almost 2 years. When I first started the bookings were great (10 a day) but it began to drop after a year (now I'm lucky to get 4 a day). If you ask for more classes you get the same automated message about the "system" being responsible for bookings. This company has never been great at correspondence or making their teachers feel valued, but after the recent pay cut and drop in classes I am definitely looking elsewhere.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Pay cut, low classes, unfair rating system, poor communication.

Previously a good company but in the past 12 months it's become a horror show.

I've been working here pretty much full-time since 2015. Over the years it's had its ups and downs but the majority of the time I was happy. I was lucky enough to be 1 of the higher paid teachers and living in a country with a relatively low cost of living, I was living a very comfortable life and putting away some nice savings. Unfortunately, this all started to end for me about 7 months ago. I stayed put, along with the majority of tutors because the same situation was echoed at most of the other companies.Then came the new contract, optional at 1st but eventually mandatory.Teachers lost anywhere from 1/3 to 3/4 of their salaries, I lost about 50%.Not only with the pay cuts but also the lack of students, wave after wave of tutors left and are still leaving (I'm not far away), but still no improvement in bookings.This company (1 of the largest online ESL companies), is a sinking ship, a ticking timebomb, call it what you will, but avoid it like the plague.

Pros

Presently ZERO pros here.

Cons

payrate, lack of flexibility, lack of bookings, terrible management, terrible, lack of communication, etc.

It used to be great, but afraid it is going downhill

I used to LOVE working for this company. The hours were flexible, the pay was great, and I was scheduled with 95% of the hours I booked. They had incentive programs that rewarded hard word and high performance. However, they have just revamped the whole company, and everyone got a new service agreement with a HUGE pay cut--mine was about 45%. All incentives and bonuses were done away with!!In the last year, they have over hired, so most teachers are not getting much work. Parents rate your performance, and you must maintain a 9.5 or higher to keep your job. The communication from management to teachers has never been great, but now it is almost nonexistent. The teachers do not feel valued AT ALL.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Pay and feeling undervalued

Used to be good, 2 years ago - now I wouldn't even bother

The company was taken over at the end of 2020 and all employees given the opportunity to sign a new contract. Longer term employees saw a Very significant drop in their pay, to the point people started to leave. I did not sign... but March 2021 I received an email telling me if I did not sign the new contract I would be fired. I signed and started to get more classes, but the pay is almost half what it used to be. I feel absolutely no incentive to stay. The company is full of dirty tricks. I recently got another email ' congratulations' (this usually is their way of hiding the next bad deal they are trying to sell you) you have now been promoted to teaching a new type of class, with 100-300 students. You have to answer their questions in the 'chat box' while you teach too, so you can interact and explain things they don't understand. Great.This company started going down hill a long time ago - I (and others I spoke to) were getting almost no classes booked, sometimes for months on end, with little response from management.Go for another company - seriously, everyone I have spoken to has, from the beginning, had so many complaints, including grammatical and spelling mistakes in the lesson material, or just hideously awful material, some of which is actually offensive... I could go on. Anyway, do yourself a favour and don't bother.I'm now leaving the company, and not a moment too soon. They have absolutely no respect or regard for their teachers - we're just fodder in their money making machine, and unfortunately we're not benefitting from their profits either, quite the opposite.

Pros

Easy to get a job and start working, Great students, Sometimes good and interesting material to work with, Regular students (a very new development), Easy to take holiday, up to a month, but any longer and you have to re-apply for your job

Cons

Awful pay, high expectations, easy for students to give a bad rating, which will bring your ratings easily from a 10 to a 2 in an instant, lack of communication or generic answers from management, Often very few booked classes, even if you schedule loads, Now they pay in US dollars only, transfer fees if your pay is below or above a certain level

The company's taken a turn for the worse, 2021

I've been contracted with them for over 5 years and have progressed to various levels of responsibility, and I'm sorry to say that if you're looking to get in now, it's not going to be very promising. The pay structure has changed dramatically recently (like another highly-rated reviewer said accurately, a 30% pay cut) to reward quantity over quality, the communication within the company has become perfunctory and delayed, the bookings have decreased significantly, and so on. The everyday hourly employees who work directly for the company are fantastic, and the students are amazing, but like so many other good companies that have gone too 'corporate', you'll likely find frustration rather than satisfaction as one of thousands of contracted consultants around the world (many of which are willing to work for less pay than you), all vying for bookings from an ever-decreasing pool of clients. I would only recommend this as a stepping stone or a gig job to fill a gap in employment, but don't hang your hat here. Come up with an exit plan sooner rather than later. Believe in yourself; you can do better.

Pros

legitimate company, average pay, respectful clients

Cons

quantity over quality valued, outdated/poorly written lesson plans, disjointed communication within company

Fun

Flexible and fun, the more classes you teach you get a pay increase. Lessons were great for the levels both adults and kids. The students were interactive.

Good company when you get enough classews

This was a great place to work but recently they do not seem to be giving tutors enough classes to make much money. They are very good about cancellations which is nice so if you wake up feeling ill, you can cancel with no penalty. However, if you have a technical problem it is always you fault.I used to have more classes than I can handle but lately, I do not have enough classes

Pros

Day time hours and flexibility

Cons

Lack of work and communication

No Longer Reliable

This was my first job and has been my only job for more than 7 years. For more than half of that time, I worked full time for the company and loved it. For the past year or two, they have cut my bookings down by half without giving me a reason. No transparency. I cannot pay my bills. They do not communicate. There is no loyalty. I ask my friends who recently started working for them and they are getting all of their classes, while I, who have been with the company forever, am not. I can only assume they are giving their classes to whoever is cheapest, and because my seniority gives me more pay, I will no longer be receiving sessions.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

They don't give you classes; Lack of loyalty

Crashing and Burning

I've been in the industry for 20+ years. This company is by far the worst.1) They've never given more than 12 hours notice on my schedule.2) The materials are 50% complete garbage.3) They allow anyone to perform placement (12 levels), so groups can have a wild mix of abilities.4) Hours vary wildly from day to day, week to week, etc.5) Today, they cut my pay by 33% AND made it retroactive. That's right, they took money I had already earned at the previously higher rate.Take my word for it, this company is cray-cray, and their students are leaving in droves. Stay away.

Pros

students were motivated

Cons

everything else

An average Chinese company, but pandemic has affected it negatively

Not much different from other teaching companies. Some of their rules are very unfair, it was good until mid-2020 since then, many of us (teachers) are making half of the income we did in past years. The company has been sold and is trying to cut expenses, so work has been cut also.

Pros

Set up your own schedule (when available)

Cons

No benefits, unstable

Great before COVID

It was a great remote job while it lasted. Due to covid they reduced everyone's hours drastically and fired a lot of people that are non-natives. In the summer of 2018 I would have rated it 5/5 because the pay was decent for being remote.

iTutor is a part-time gig

This job is ok for some part-time work and extra money. The company doesn't care for their workers and their lack of loyalty is astounding (EX: giving new teachers more clients than teachers who've been there longer). Open time slots doesn't guarantee students will be there, and thus you aren't guaranteed any pay. If you want repeat clients, be white, cute, and American. I've only had 1 paycheck that was inaccurate (they paid me less than I worked) and that was my last paycheck.

Pros

interesting people to talk to

Cons

irritable parents, tired kids, uncomfortable people

Sketchy Pay

fantastic work-life balance. I could workout, go to school and still have time to earn a living. Some of the students were really great! The lessons were enjoyable.They have a system where kids can rank you, so if their parent forces an angry kid to learn English they rank you a one and there goes you're pay. I also do not like the "customer is always right" mentality this company holds with children. I understand making sure the child is learning and is well treated but at the same time you are the adult in the room and deserve respect for your profession, not being forced to boot lick children. They also allow now for this new style of class which is 40 minutes long and you get paid a lot less as opposed to the 25 minute one, it is a way for the company to save a dime and pay you less.

Pros

fantastic work-life balance.

Cons

Cheap leaders.

Good choice during Covid

I'm glad that I find something to do here when I'm stuck in Japan now. The interview was smooth and I get a busy schedule now,especially on weekends.

Request More

This company is not a good online ESL company. They are punctual with pay and the students are great but that is about where the good ends. One minute you are booked solid(if they need you) and the next you have a week with two classes per day. Mind you they will require you sit home all day and wait just in case they decide they need you. They cannot schedule classes to the teachers they do have but they are quick to ask for you to refer a friend and also try to force you to do Demos for them at a lesser pay rate. If you need any assistance from the company you can forget it!! The schedulers, as they are called, serve absolutely no purpose. They could not tell you the color of the sky if you asked. The teacher service is horrible. Then to obtain any information they want you to join a teacher talk base that you have to agree can use your information any way they see fit. My advice is to go to another venue to teach. This is a company with no teacher service provided and require you to wait around for them to bless you with classes.

Pros

punctual pay, great students

Cons

waste too much time waiting for classes, may wait 8 hours and never receive a class

Ask a question about working or interviewing at iTutorGroup. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8