iTutorGroup
Happiness rating is 60 out of 100

iTutorGroup Employee Reviews for Consultant

I've been contracted with them for over 5 years and have progressed to various levels of responsibility, and I'm sorry to say that if you're looking to get in now, it's not going to be very promising. The pay structure has changed dramatically recently (like another highly-rated reviewer said accurately, a 30% pay cut) to reward quantity over quality, the communication within the company has become perfunctory and delayed, the bookings have decreased significantly, and so on. The everyday hourly employees who work directly for the company are fantastic, and the students are amazing, but like so many other good companies that have gone too 'corporate', you'll likely find frustration rather than satisfaction as one of thousands of contracted consultants around the world (many of which are willing to work for less pay than you), all vying for bookings from an ever-decreasing pool of clients. I would only recommend this as a stepping stone or a gig job to fill a gap in employment, but don't hang your hat here. Come up with an exit plan sooner rather than later. Believe in yourself; you can do better.
Pros
legitimate company, average pay, respectful clients
Cons
quantity over quality valued, outdated/poorly written lesson plans, disjointed communication within company
It was a great remote job while it lasted. Due to covid they reduced everyone's hours drastically and fired a lot of people that are non-natives. In the summer of 2018 I would have rated it 5/5 because the pay was decent for being remote.
I did not enjoy my time working for iTutor Group. I never got a reply from my mentor and when I would contact PMIT I would be mocked for my questions or reason for contacting them. The students were good and varied however the lessons provided by iTutor themselves which are not a Lets Go are terrible and very bland. ITutor thrive off giving you a maximum of 5 hours a week, however when I got a full time job and changed my hours to 7-8 hours on a Saturday and Sunday they did not give me any lessons and said it was because I was cancelling my week day sessions which I had to do because during the pandemic I was lucky to get 2 lessons. The company is very unreliable and I have handed my notice in after getting a total payment of £13 in October 2020 from them. Good riddance ITutor!!!
Pros
N/a
Cons
See review
It's not a bad job as far as online teaching goes, but the company is too big with not enough supporting staffs and the hours are exclusively at night or early in the morning. I must say my hiring was smooth and I like that they gave you prepared teaching material but it’s hard to make work full time, but not a bad side hustle at all.
This job allows me to work part-time and stay at home with my child rather than return to my full-time teaching job and keep my kid in day-care. The students are enthusiastic and eager to learn. The pay is average. The support team is not the best but at least they try.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
There are opportunities for improvement in regards to providing some level of benefits of some kind as there aren't any here. Communication at times can be poor and usually the consultant needs to be the instigator in communication. Sometimes scheduling can also be poor even with a good rating. Customer ratings can be arbitrary and customer have expectations they don't articulate even after asking the adult students multiple times if they have questions. But there are aids to have an idea of preferences. Also, some of the classes can be very time consuming to prepare for as there is so much material. While this is nice to always opportunities learn something new, this can also present as a challenge under time constraints.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Customer ratings of you can be arbitrary and can be based on a whim, Customers don't really give any written feedback, No benefits of any kind.
Itutor isn't the best or worst place to work. It's fine for a part time job, but I wouldn't recommend it for the long run. It's a way to earn some extra income but would not be best suited for those actually trying to make a living. The pay is not great but it's more or less what I expected for an online ESL company these days. The rating system is awful. You'll get a 10 from one parent and then a 1 in the same class. I had a 9.8 rating which plummeted to an 8.6 because of one parent who was upset that their child didn't want to participate in the lesson. I think feedback is incredibly important but the rating system needs some serious revision. Also the channel of communication isn't great. Your concerns may be eventually addressed, if at all. I do like the platform's interactiveness. The ability to add pictures and the library of stickers and sounds to choose from. It's a great addition to the class, especially for the younger ones. I will say that on average with Itutor I get more technical issues than I do with the other platforms I teach on. I do also really like the OUP material and enjoy teaching it. I do think that the regular sessions material could use some work though, it's not nearly as good. Like I said, the pay is alright (assuming you live in America or someplace like it). It's a fine place to make money on the side but do not invest too much of your time and energy here. It's not a job you want to depend on.
Pros
Flexibility, a good place to make a little extra income from home, the platform is interactive and engaging
Cons
No benefits, the ratings system is not good, there are a lot of technical issues, communication isn't great, the regular material is not good
I used to be a full time Elementary teacher in Louisiana, United States of America. I quit my job when COVID started because I was not able to be around the sweet children and go visit my mother who's immune system is comprimised. I saw the ad for iTutor Group and it changed my life. First, you do ONE mock session. Once you pass, then you do your training. They not only have you read slides, watch videos, but they also have personal sessions with experienced or seasoned trainers to help you on this journey. I am not going to sugar coat this experience, as you are only allowed 6 absences, but that is when do not show up to your class. You can always cancel a class, but you do get a penalty fee if it is last minute. You get four free passes that you can use for emergencies. I love the freedom, low stress, and the opportunities. iTutor supports me fully. If I do not do such a great job the students will tell me in their ratings. This helps me to be the teacher that the student wants, not the principal or the district. I do not have yearly subjective ratings from a school administrator, staff meetings, long PD that I have to do over the summer. I have opportunities to be a recruiter and promote the company. If I need help and can not find it on the training PD sites, then I can reach out to my iTutor group family on youtube cahnnels and facebook websites. I do not have to get up early, put on make up, carry tons of work to school anymore. I do not have to spend my paycheck on school materials, supplies, decorations, TPT products, or gas. I do not have to be exposed to illnesses - more...
Pros
little stress, support, fun, stay at home, work when you want
Cons
You have to manage your own balance, pay attention to your time and schedule
I am grateful for online tutoring platforms like Itutorgroup. Why? Because they provide jobs for those who enjoy teaching and helping others (especially during these uncertain times) and they allow those who wish to learn English do so from wherever they are. Nothing is guaranteed in this world, not even your 9-5 job. You make the most of what you have for the length that you have it. The tutoring position is great as a "side hustle" or for extra income. It is not necessarily something you can rely on for steady, predictable income. If you go into it with that mindset, give 100%, learn all that you can, get excited about meeting and teaching people, then you will love this job. I've only had great experiences with management. What I enjoy is meeting/interacting with new people and making a difference in their lives. I appreciate their library of training videos, PowerPoints and blog articles to help you increase your value as a teacher on the platform. Overall, I enjoy this job and I recommend those who are looking for a flexible, remote, side hustle to apply.
Pros
Flexible, Remote, Extra Income
Cons
Not a stable source of income
I have worked for Itutorgroup for over 3 years now. I've worked in the industry for many years. I've found that Itutor listens to not only their clients but to their consultants as well. They are constantly updating their platforms to give the best experience for the student as well as the consultant. They take the time to offer training in a variety of methods and encourage their consultants to expand their own knowledge and grow as individuals. As someone who has worked for multiple companies within the online ESL industry I find that Itutor offers many more advanced classes and they will give the consultant opportunities that are usually reserved for in-person employees. If your ratings are consistently high you could be chosen for multiple programs such as Special-one-on-one sessions with clients wishing to have a more in-depth experience. You could be asked to help develop curriculum, do demonstrations for prospective clients, train new and existing consultants or help with the interviewing process. As a consultant for Itutorgroup you will have access to assistance in a variety of ways, IT, scheduling, and teacher support.
Pros
Communication, Flexibility and Growth Opportunities
Cons
As an independent consultant you are responsible for your taxes and benefits
Once you get use to the system, It is a really good gig. It really depends on your efforts and skills. You can't expect it to be like teaching or tutoring at a school. You have a base rate and it's up to you to get client satisfaction. It is an educational platform, but it's also definitely for profit and is based on how you make clients feel. I prefer working with adults, so that is what I do exclusively now, but I worked with kids in the beginning. 25 minute classes were paid $7 each with no bonus, so $14 and hour, which is more than I could make at any job I am qualified for in my city. It is sad, I mean I have a Masters degree, but it isn't applicable to any jobs in my hometown. I got paid twice as much in NYC but had to commute for over an hour and ended up spending most of it on transportation, rent and food because I worked several jobs and was out all day. I am honestly able to save just as much working online because I don't have to leave the house. When I first started, I was frustrated by this job because I expected to earn more, but I have come to realize that you can't just show up and go through the material and expect to get 10's from all the students. You need to have presentation skills, charisma, make connections with students and make them feel like they are learning and enjoying themselves. Then at the end you have to do some shameless self-promotion and remind them to leave you a good rating. If you are confident in yourself, you don't have to tell them to give you a "10", I am one of the people who feels awkward doing that, just remind/beg/convince them - more...
Pros
flexible, interesting, human connection, completely online
Cons
pay is based on ratings, no benefits like health insurance, hours not guaranteed
Great job if you like the flexibility of working from home at the hours to suit you (within the peak schedule). No pressure of the planning and assessment that goes with teaching in schools. Lessons are planned, you just need a few props or resources to hand to make the lesson more engaging. Teaching online is different to teaching in a classroom and probably isn't for everyone but I love it!
Pros
hours to suit, no planning and laborious preparation, short 25 minute lessons
Cons
Management can be difficult to get to respond to messages, 45 minute lessons and ratings
This company is terrible. They do not have respect towards teachers, salary is low and they keep lowering it. There are "flexible hours" but the schedule is fixed .Stuff over there is so rude, never answering to e mails and messages and if you make a mistake you can get tons of messages right awayVery low booking even for natives .Recently they laid off so many teachers without any announcement, just because they can.You can't have holidays. If you go on a holiday when you come back you won't have classes, and you support team would tell you that you don't have classes because you had holiday!? WTF???We are not robots, helloooo, we can have a life.They demand so many thing from you for what in return.If you want to work with unprofessional and rude people go for it .If you want to have normal life and work routine run from them
Pros
Cons
everything
The company touts the ability to be flexible with your schedule. They do NOT follow through with that promise. I worked with them for a few months, sporadically being assigned classes, and when I changed careers and tried to change my base schedule they refused to allow me that change. They then continued to assign me classes even after I had notified two departments that I could no longer work that schedule and had offered to take a different schedule during their busiest teaching hours. I was also blamed for absences that I could not control due to technology on their end. As a professional educator for 18 years with a Master's Degree, and as someone who has worked in Asia for an extended period of time, this was the most disrespectful, inflexible, and ridiculous company to work for.
Pros
Quick advancement
Cons
Inflexibility to work with schedule; lack of accountability on company's part
1. Recruiters get large bonuses. This means ITG hires FAR more teachers than they need. So if you get hired, buy all the equipment you need (see below), commit yourself to the mandatory hours and wake up early for those classes in case you get scheduled, you still might not get to work at all because there are so many teachers and not enough students.2. The advertised base pay is not accurate. You have to work at least 20 hours for the "contribution bonus" to kick in. If you don't work a certain number of hours per month, they will DEDUCT from your earnings. If you completed a class and the student rated you a 1/10, you will not get paid for your time. Also keep in mind, that in one hour of your time, you are only teaching 45-50 minutes of that time, so although the pay might be advertised as i.e. $20/hour, your rate will be adjusted for the actual minutes you spent teaching, rather than your whole hour of time.3. A big part of your status in the company and your visibility to clients via the booking algorithm is your rating. If a child didn't like the lesson (i.e. ITG assigned you to teach a 7 year old boy, and the lesson they provided you with was about princesses), they might rate you a 1/10 which means not only will you not get paid for that lesson, your rating will now be decimated and you can expect to lose a lot of bookings. If one of the students had a bad internet connection and couldn't hear you (but everyone else in the class could), that student might give you a poor rating, even though it was the students' fault. A student can also give you a bad rating even - more...
Pros
flexibility
Cons
culture, inefficient ratings system, no guarantee of hours
First of all, I apologize in advance for the long comment I'll leave. I don't even know where to begin. I worked at this company for more than 3 years and watched how it's going down, slowly but surely, from highly reputed and reliable to ridiculous and clownish. Any change that they have made through all those years was worse than the previous one. Don't you think for even a moment that this is an educational company and you'll be hired to truly teach English! This is a perfidious organization which the only goal is to make money by charging the clients with high prices and exploiting the employees who receive peanuts for their hard work. And you'll be even more humiliated when you face their so-called "bonus" system. Yes, you have so many opportunities to earn extra money... but if you totally ignore the fact that your bonuses have nothing with your work or experience, knowledge, education, or anything reasonable. They depend on pure luck. It means, all your hard weekly or monthly work can be destroyed by someone's bad mood that day. The children are usually unsupervised and without proper equipment, but that is your fault. They are competent enough to give you any ratings and judge your skills because they pay and you are nothing but a trained monkey in a circus. You should write honest feedback for students, but of course, you can't, someone can get offended and can punish you with a bad rating. They can also choose their level, and it is your fault if the student puts himself on the wrong level and can't understand basic English or thinks that material is too easy. The - more...
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
Too many cons, some of them are mentioned in my review..
I have worked for iTutorGroup now for three years. In the past two months, they have made changes that are grossly exploitative and unfair to their teachers. It started off as a dream job, with flexibility to work from home and set my own hours. The compensation was generous, and it significantly increased when you did an outstanding job. However, iTutorGroup has clearly become overstaffed. They are designing systems whereby their teachers fail in order to have an excuse to shed workers and introduce new workers at lower rates. I am disgusted and appalled with their out of control, hyperperfectionistic, unrealistic standards. They have set performance standards such that, when students leave you feedback on a 1 to 10 scale, the only acceptable rating is a 10. Literally, if you get less than a 10, say you get quite a few 9s, your average drops, and they threaten to fire you. On top of that, only 20 to 30 percent of your students will ever leave feedback at all. This means that you will not even be evaluated on 70 to 80 percent of your work. The company allows total discretion to students as young as 5 years old to ruin your standing with the company. They don't offer the students the option to leave you a 9.2, say, or a 9.5. It is totally arbitrary which students will leave feedback. They are basing it on automated ratings which measure likability, not learning. You can be a perfectly good, hard working teacher with perfect attendance, and it will not matter at iTutorGroup. My own average dipped to around 9.5. They sent me monthly progress reports telling that I was in the - more...
Pros
great students, flexibility, work from home
Cons
terrible ratings system, unfair standards, deceptive practices
The pay is awful. If you want to do well, you will need to spend some time planning your lessons (which is something they claim they do for you, but teacher notes are always blank). A lot of times you wont know that you have a class until an hour before, and if you happen to be in class during that hour before you may be surprised by a new class on your schedule that you were not expecting. They claim to have flexible hours, and that you can change your fixed schedule, but this is a lie. They are able to reject your schedule at will, and may not give an explanation. There is little help available, and every time that I have reached out for help, they say that my issue will be addressed, but then they never do anything to address issues. This company is awful, and they will lie and tell you anything to get you to take a job. They absolutely do not care about their teachers. DO NOT ACCEPT AN OFFER FROM THIS COMPANY. YOU WILL REGRET IT....
Pros
work from home
Cons
shifts just pop up, the lesson plans are not plans, tons of unpaid training, you get rated by children, they do not care about their teachers, they do not care about their students, they only care about money
Introduction: This company has a lot of potential to be great to both their employees and their customers but it fails miserably. It is horribly managed and simple issues are improperly solved. Hours: It's a 0 hours guaranteed type of contract, however you have to be available and glued to their system throughout every minute of your schedule because a random class can be scheduled up to 1 hour prior to the start time. If you don't notice this class scheduled or you're not prepared, you are marked absent and severely punished (they take money off your wages). Ratings and Random Supensions: The job also depends on students' ratings. Students rarely rate you, but if another student in the class had a noisy background the teacher will get rated a 1/10. Ratings cannot be reviewed or disputed and if your ratings are not at least 9.50/10 you are abruptly suspended. They will tell you to complete a lot of extra training for your suspension to end in a week, and you will waste your time doing this yet your suspension will not end. They will also not reply to your emails. Pay: The pay is ok for 25 minute sessions ($7- $8). However for 45 minute session it is only $2! You can get up to $1 extra for each student that rates you 10/10 in that session but they rarely rate you! Two will rate you 10/10, three will not rate you and one will rate you 5/10 because they felt they didn't have enough speaking time or someone's background was noisy. When one student rates you lower than 8 money is taken off your pay! Conclusion: There are so many more things wrong with this employer - more...
Pros
Quick to hire you.
Cons
Even quicker to lose you.
ITG demands employees pay for polo shirt, paper/ink/tape for backdrop, puppets, flashcards, whiteboard, Manycam; TEFL. Expectations are revealed after customer ratings begin. Teachers are exploited.
Pros
The students are motivated.
Cons
Teacher time and money is exploited for low wages and high expectations.
No more driving and dealing with annoying bosses/managers. I can just work from home whenever I want! Now I get to spend more quality time with my baby at home and still get a decent pay.
Pros
Flexible time schedule
Cons
Sometimes it’s slow and you won’t get scheduled with classes