iTutorGroup

iTutorGroup Employee Reviews for Consultant

Consultant64 reviews
United States64 reviews

itutorratingsessionclassteachingstudentlessonteacher

It is what it is. No surprises at all

It's a matrix. You don't speak to people you work with. If you want to just work and be done and never think about it, it's not bad. It in fact is ok for times when you need some money or something to do for a short time (study abroad for example). This is NOT a career and there is no moving up or any interactions with humans. Can be negative or positive depending on what you like.

Pros

you decide your hours

Cons

low pay, very impersonal

Great students, lessons and pay.

I had a great 6 years working at ITG until teaching kids in China online was banned. I really hope that they can come back some day. Great employer with reasonable expectations.

iTutorGroup insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Ok place for beginners

It's an okay place to work especially if you don't have much experience. However the pay is a bit low. Work load is unpredictable. Pay is unpredictable. It is a good side job to have but you probably wouldn't be able to live off only this income. The company goes through a lot of changes year after year so you have to keep yourself updated with new company rules and protocol.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Low pay

Dont work for this company

Our salary is based on the rating of students so if a rude student gives u a 1 star you are finished. The next day I have empty slots. The system starts to gice me 0 lessons. This is pretty rediculous and they dont even have staff support for teachers. I feel I work for nothing.

Good for pocket money

I feel like the company as a whole doesn't care for the employees, but more for clients. The pay truly isn't worth it. I had covid but they didn't care or respond to my emails and kept booking me. I enjoy meeting new people and the students are really great but sometimes the work is not relatable especially for the children.

Pros

Get to meet new people

Cons

Low pay, no job culture

Waste of time

Company clearly prioritizes and schedules more lessons for teachers who have been with them longer. Joined last year and after March barely got any lessons. You can be notified of a lesson even one hour before it starts so there's a lot of waiting about and if you've booked a whole day and you get no lessons, then it's a whole day wasted. The pay is also terrible if students don't rate you.

Pros

Get to meet and chat with great students

Cons

There's a lot!

The company's taken a turn for the worse, 2021

I've been contracted with them for over 5 years and have progressed to various levels of responsibility, and I'm sorry to say that if you're looking to get in now, it's not going to be very promising. The pay structure has changed dramatically recently (like another highly-rated reviewer said accurately, a 30% pay cut) to reward quantity over quality, the communication within the company has become perfunctory and delayed, the bookings have decreased significantly, and so on. The everyday hourly employees who work directly for the company are fantastic, and the students are amazing, but like so many other good companies that have gone too 'corporate', you'll likely find frustration rather than satisfaction as one of thousands of contracted consultants around the world (many of which are willing to work for less pay than you), all vying for bookings from an ever-decreasing pool of clients. I would only recommend this as a stepping stone or a gig job to fill a gap in employment, but don't hang your hat here. Come up with an exit plan sooner rather than later. Believe in yourself; you can do better.

Pros

legitimate company, average pay, respectful clients

Cons

quantity over quality valued, outdated/poorly written lesson plans, disjointed communication within company

Great before COVID

It was a great remote job while it lasted. Due to covid they reduced everyone's hours drastically and fired a lot of people that are non-natives. In the summer of 2018 I would have rated it 5/5 because the pay was decent for being remote.

Fun teaching experience

I worked here in 2017 and now I'm back. It's really a good choice under the current situation. The schedule is quite stable on weekends, but I can also teach around 8-10 hours on weekdays.

Hostile working environment

I did not enjoy my time working for iTutor Group. I never got a reply from my mentor and when I would contact PMIT I would be mocked for my questions or reason for contacting them. The students were good and varied however the lessons provided by iTutor themselves which are not a Lets Go are terrible and very bland. ITutor thrive off giving you a maximum of 5 hours a week, however when I got a full time job and changed my hours to 7-8 hours on a Saturday and Sunday they did not give me any lessons and said it was because I was cancelling my week day sessions which I had to do because during the pandemic I was lucky to get 2 lessons. The company is very unreliable and I have handed my notice in after getting a total payment of £13 in October 2020 from them. Good riddance ITutor!!!

Pros

N/a

Cons

See review

Not a bad choice during COVID

It's not a bad job as far as online teaching goes, but the company is too big with not enough supporting staffs and the hours are exclusively at night or early in the morning. I must say my hiring was smooth and I like that they gave you prepared teaching material but it’s hard to make work full time, but not a bad side hustle at all.

Flexible schedule

This job allows me to work part-time and stay at home with my child rather than return to my full-time teaching job and keep my kid in day-care. The students are enthusiastic and eager to learn. The pay is average. The support team is not the best but at least they try.

Opportunities for Improvement

There are opportunities for improvement in regards to providing some level of benefits of some kind as there aren't any here. Communication at times can be poor and usually the consultant needs to be the instigator in communication. Sometimes scheduling can also be poor even with a good rating. Customer ratings can be arbitrary and customer have expectations they don't articulate even after asking the adult students multiple times if they have questions. But there are aids to have an idea of preferences. Also, some of the classes can be very time consuming to prepare for as there is so much material. While this is nice to always opportunities learn something new, this can also present as a challenge under time constraints.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Customer ratings of you can be arbitrary and can be based on a whim, Customers don't really give any written feedback, No benefits of any kind.

It's an online teaching gig

Itutor isn't the best or worst place to work. It's fine for a part time job, but I wouldn't recommend it for the long run. It's a way to earn some extra income but would not be best suited for those actually trying to make a living. The pay is not great but it's more or less what I expected for an online ESL company these days. The rating system is awful. You'll get a 10 from one parent and then a 1 in the same class. I had a 9.8 rating which plummeted to an 8.6 because of one parent who was upset that their child didn't want to participate in the lesson. I think feedback is incredibly important but the rating system needs some serious revision. Also the channel of communication isn't great. Your concerns may be eventually addressed, if at all. I do like the platform's interactiveness. The ability to add pictures and the library of stickers and sounds to choose from. It's a great addition to the class, especially for the younger ones. I will say that on average with Itutor I get more technical issues than I do with the other platforms I teach on. I do also really like the OUP material and enjoy teaching it. I do think that the regular sessions material could use some work though, it's not nearly as good. Like I said, the pay is alright (assuming you live in America or someplace like it). It's a fine place to make money on the side but do not invest too much of your time and energy here. It's not a job you want to depend on.

Pros

Flexibility, a good place to make a little extra income from home, the platform is interactive and engaging

Cons

No benefits, the ratings system is not good, there are a lot of technical issues, communication isn't great, the regular material is not good

Excellent Job at home

I used to be a full time Elementary teacher in Louisiana, United States of America. I quit my job when COVID started because I was not able to be around the sweet children and go visit my mother who's immune system is comprimised. I saw the ad for iTutor Group and it changed my life. First, you do ONE mock session. Once you pass, then you do your training. They not only have you read slides, watch videos, but they also have personal sessions with experienced or seasoned trainers to help you on this journey. I am not going to sugar coat this experience, as you are only allowed 6 absences, but that is when do not show up to your class. You can always cancel a class, but you do get a penalty fee if it is last minute. You get four free passes that you can use for emergencies. I love the freedom, low stress, and the opportunities. iTutor supports me fully. If I do not do such a great job the students will tell me in their ratings. This helps me to be the teacher that the student wants, not the principal or the district. I do not have yearly subjective ratings from a school administrator, staff meetings, long PD that I have to do over the summer. I have opportunities to be a recruiter and promote the company. If I need help and can not find it on the training PD sites, then I can reach out to my iTutor group family on youtube cahnnels and facebook websites. I do not have to get up early, put on make up, carry tons of work to school anymore. I do not have to spend my paycheck on school materials, supplies, decorations, TPT products, or gas. I do not have to be exposed to illnesses -

Pros

little stress, support, fun, stay at home, work when you want

Cons

You have to manage your own balance, pay attention to your time and schedule

Great side hustle/Extra Income

I am grateful for online tutoring platforms like Itutorgroup. Why? Because they provide jobs for those who enjoy teaching and helping others (especially during these uncertain times) and they allow those who wish to learn English do so from wherever they are. Nothing is guaranteed in this world, not even your 9-5 job. You make the most of what you have for the length that you have it. The tutoring position is great as a "side hustle" or for extra income. It is not necessarily something you can rely on for steady, predictable income. If you go into it with that mindset, give 100%, learn all that you can, get excited about meeting and teaching people, then you will love this job. I've only had great experiences with management. What I enjoy is meeting/interacting with new people and making a difference in their lives. I appreciate their library of training videos, PowerPoints and blog articles to help you increase your value as a teacher on the platform. Overall, I enjoy this job and I recommend those who are looking for a flexible, remote, side hustle to apply.

Pros

Flexible, Remote, Extra Income

Cons

Not a stable source of income

Flexible and great opportunity to work at your own pace

I have worked for Itutorgroup for over 3 years now. I've worked in the industry for many years. I've found that Itutor listens to not only their clients but to their consultants as well. They are constantly updating their platforms to give the best experience for the student as well as the consultant. They take the time to offer training in a variety of methods and encourage their consultants to expand their own knowledge and grow as individuals. As someone who has worked for multiple companies within the online ESL industry I find that Itutor offers many more advanced classes and they will give the consultant opportunities that are usually reserved for in-person employees. If your ratings are consistently high you could be chosen for multiple programs such as Special-one-on-one sessions with clients wishing to have a more in-depth experience. You could be asked to help develop curriculum, do demonstrations for prospective clients, train new and existing consultants or help with the interviewing process. As a consultant for Itutorgroup you will have access to assistance in a variety of ways, IT, scheduling, and teacher support.

Pros

Communication, Flexibility and Growth Opportunities

Cons

As an independent consultant you are responsible for your taxes and benefits

Good for what it is

Once you get use to the system, It is a really good gig. It really depends on your efforts and skills. You can't expect it to be like teaching or tutoring at a school. You have a base rate and it's up to you to get client satisfaction. It is an educational platform, but it's also definitely for profit and is based on how you make clients feel. I prefer working with adults, so that is what I do exclusively now, but I worked with kids in the beginning. 25 minute classes were paid $7 each with no bonus, so $14 and hour, which is more than I could make at any job I am qualified for in my city. It is sad, I mean I have a Masters degree, but it isn't applicable to any jobs in my hometown. I got paid twice as much in NYC but had to commute for over an hour and ended up spending most of it on transportation, rent and food because I worked several jobs and was out all day. I am honestly able to save just as much working online because I don't have to leave the house. When I first started, I was frustrated by this job because I expected to earn more, but I have come to realize that you can't just show up and go through the material and expect to get 10's from all the students. You need to have presentation skills, charisma, make connections with students and make them feel like they are learning and enjoying themselves. Then at the end you have to do some shameless self-promotion and remind them to leave you a good rating. If you are confident in yourself, you don't have to tell them to give you a "10", I am one of the people who feels awkward doing that, just remind/beg/convince them -

Pros

flexible, interesting, human connection, completely online

Cons

pay is based on ratings, no benefits like health insurance, hours not guaranteed

Great company to work for if you want flexibility and work life balance

Great job if you like the flexibility of working from home at the hours to suit you (within the peak schedule). No pressure of the planning and assessment that goes with teaching in schools. Lessons are planned, you just need a few props or resources to hand to make the lesson more engaging. Teaching online is different to teaching in a classroom and probably isn't for everyone but I love it!

Pros

hours to suit, no planning and laborious preparation, short 25 minute lessons

Cons

Management can be difficult to get to respond to messages, 45 minute lessons and ratings

Ruuuun from this company

This company is terrible. They do not have respect towards teachers, salary is low and they keep lowering it. There are "flexible hours" but the schedule is fixed .Stuff over there is so rude, never answering to e mails and messages and if you make a mistake you can get tons of messages right awayVery low booking even for natives .Recently they laid off so many teachers without any announcement, just because they can.You can't have holidays. If you go on a holiday when you come back you won't have classes, and you support team would tell you that you don't have classes because you had holiday!? WTF???We are not robots, helloooo, we can have a life.They demand so many thing from you for what in return.If you want to work with unprofessional and rude people go for it .If you want to have normal life and work routine run from them

Pros

Cons

everything

Ridiculous Treatment of Teachers

The company touts the ability to be flexible with your schedule. They do NOT follow through with that promise. I worked with them for a few months, sporadically being assigned classes, and when I changed careers and tried to change my base schedule they refused to allow me that change. They then continued to assign me classes even after I had notified two departments that I could no longer work that schedule and had offered to take a different schedule during their busiest teaching hours. I was also blamed for absences that I could not control due to technology on their end. As a professional educator for 18 years with a Master's Degree, and as someone who has worked in Asia for an extended period of time, this was the most disrespectful, inflexible, and ridiculous company to work for.

Pros

Quick advancement

Cons

Inflexibility to work with schedule; lack of accountability on company's part

Ask a question about working or interviewing at iTutorGroup. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits