Ivy Tech Community College Employee Reviews

Good Place to work
Library Manager (Former Employee) –  East Chicago, INOctober 11, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Ivy Tech. would have loved to be compensated more for the work I did. Within my department, I had an outstanding supervisor who supported my vision and did not micro-manage.
Pros
Freedom to be creative.
Cons
Not enough compensation
Tutuor
Tutor (Microsoft Office) (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 9, 2018
I really enjoyed tutoring at Ivy Tech. It gives me satisfaction knowing I can help someone with the area of difficulty that they are having. I would become a tutor again if I could.
Great employer
Different roles (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INOctober 5, 2018
Pay could be better, but this company is amazing. Best benefits ever! Working for a non-profit is not always the best, but this company values people. Sometimes there are decisions made that cannot be avoided due to the non-profit status that are not favorable.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Nursing Faculty
Full Time Associate Professor - Obstetrics (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INOctober 5, 2018
Excellent place to work. Good faculty staff and leadership. I enjoy working with students and teaching them new skills. I am just looking to enhance my leadership skills.
Desirable company to work for
Assistant Director of Safety and Security (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INOctober 4, 2018
Safety and Security are real matters for the department. With more leadership development the department could be better. The workplace culture was hostile.
Pros
401K matching program
Cons
micro-management
Excellent Workplace
Lab Assistant - Academic Support Center (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INOctober 4, 2018
A very nice workplace. A sense of family. Excellent opportunities for advancement in most areas. Very student and employee oriented. Fair workplace practices. Very safe environment.
Supervisors had no experience with the subjects that Itaught
Instructor (Former Employee) –  East ChicagoOctober 1, 2018
East Chicago had lack supervision and security. Allow students to bring their children and infants into classroom.

Gangs wrote things on the walls.

Automotive instructor allow automobile emission to enter other classrooms.
Pros
Free text and teaching materials available for instructor to order.
Cons
One of the higher up was rubbing the leg of a student in front of office personel
Great Place To Work
VICE PRESIDENT FOR HEALTHCARE (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 1, 2018
The mission of the college is felt and lived by all who work there! Everyone is unified in helping others and the state of Indiana is serious about restoring the middle-class through the largest community college in the country.
Stressful place to work
Student Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INOctober 1, 2018
Very busy. Not a lot of down time. Have to deal with a lot of angry students and co-workers. Lots of Saturday and Sunday hours on top of regular work week. No compensation for working extra hours. A lot of gossip.
Pros
Helping students
Cons
Hours and pay
Great
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Gary, INSeptember 26, 2018
Every work day is good.

Also the management is great.

The students we put out are great students the only down side to this job is the pay.

For the education is not enough.
Pros
Cons
Pay
Site Manager for Administrative Services
ADMIN SERVICE CLERK III (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 25, 2018
Work was from 6am-3pm Mon-Fri. The amount of work and responsibility was massive. Our team took care of mass prints, cleaned halls/bathrooms, mail, and shipping/receiving on the dock.

Management was poor as my boss was located downtown and saw my team once a month at most. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping students where they needed to go and also help teachers with tests.
Pros
direct students, polite professors, able to work at own pace
Cons
massive responbility for limited pay, rude college students, rude professors
Great people to work with.
Coordinator of the Gayle and Bill Cook Center (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INSeptember 25, 2018
Great network of people to work with and to learn from. The atmosphere is student-oriented and positive focused. Making sure that the students are well taken care of and get the opportunities that they can receive in grants and scholarships.
Benefits
Cons
Advancement
run by clicks and no advancement
Online Technologies Secretary (Former Employee) –  Gary, IN 46409September 25, 2018
a decent part time job. no raises, no paid days off and part timers are not treated with respect. management is disenfranchised and changes often with no warning.
Pros
Cons
many
Review!
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 24, 2018
I love working at Ivy Tech Community College Library. The staff is very helpful and easy to get along with. We the staff help students on a regular base. Rather if it is how to print down to working on a paper for class. We the library staff are here to help!
decent coworkers, horrible at everything else
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INSeptember 10, 2018
typical day consisted of helping students with computers and getting them signed up for tutoring.

learned how to use sign in software

management was fairly lax, several coworkers where kept despite very poor work methods.

hardest part was dealing with poor coworkers and lax management

most enjoyable was the few coworkers that i was friends with
Pros
easy job
Cons
poor coworkers, lax management.
A typical community college
Student services (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INSeptember 9, 2018
If you're unfamiliar with what a community college is, my dear reader, it's a place where people within a community can study and/or take courses for degrees and/or certifications in the many programs offered.
Supplemental Instruction Leader (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 9, 2018
I was only a student worker, but they have a great cooperate culture. Everyone at all levels seemed to be happy to work there and enjoyed working in collaboration with coworkers. I really enjoyed working here and highly recommend this employer.
Low pay for time invested
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  IndianaSeptember 2, 2018
Pay is much lower than for other colleges. The paperwork involved continues to increase each semester while raises are minuscule. Adjuncts must play politics in order to get contracted renewed. Ivy Tech continues to restructure, so I have had several bosses within the last few years.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Time requirement is high for the pay involved
Exceptional Students
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INAugust 22, 2018
I never realized the potential of vocational education until I met my students. Once these students knew what they needed to do to empower themselves, they always took the initiative.
Pros
Good students
Cons
Lack of spring classes
productive and fun work place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 22, 2018
Great place to work felt great helping and providing others with information about their program. I had a very supportive and understanding supervisor.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ivy Tech Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2