Ivy Tech Community College Employee Reviews

hardest part of this job
former supervisor (Former Employee) –  IndianaMay 21, 2018
Not knowing if your department was going to lose employees, be given even more work unrelated to your department to do or if your job will be eliminated. This college is going through changes and it has resulted in many good people being let go. Those ppl still there are given tons of work to do and not compensated with pay.

The best part is the students. They made my job enjoyable and made me want to help them because they appreciated it.
benefits
Cons
low morale, management is very cold and lacks compassion, unsure of job security.
Excellent part time work for students
Veteran's Affairs Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INMay 15, 2018
I enjoyed my time working at Ivy Tech because it was a very convenient source of income as a full time student. It was an easy job and kept me involved with the student community.
Nice place to work, no job security
Proctor (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INMay 10, 2018
I absolutely loved working at Ivy Tech. Instructions were clear, the environment was fast-paced but relaxed. As long as you knew how to ask questions you were alright. But the lack of job security was not nice.
Pros
Nice place to work
Cons
No job security
Asked to cover many bases in many locations but gained skills.
Instructor of English & Life Studies (Current Employee) –  Gary, INMay 8, 2018
The hardest part of the job is being asked to go to 3 or 4 campuses. I did practice many skills and grew in confidence. Most enjoyable part of the job was helping students toward the goal of graduating!
Pros
I liked helping students toward their goals.
Cons
Pay did not advance for part time work so most people went to another department to make up hours.
Great place to get an education
STUDENT (Former Employee) –  Greencastle, INMay 7, 2018
Low price and great quality education. I loved going to school and how it challenged me to better myself with each assignment. It taught me to work hard for good grades (and future careers)
Pros
Got my degree
Cons
lots of studying
Director of K-14 Initiatives (Current Employee) –  Sellersburg, INMay 7, 2018
I enjoy all of my coworkers and the environment is excellent. The chances for advancement are excellent. Overall the college is a solid place to work.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
High Stress
Enjoyable place to work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INMay 5, 2018
I enjoyed everything about the job at Ivy Tech. The staff and management were all very helpful and pleasant to work with. The job created opportunities to have advancement. Learned a wide variety of jobs while there.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Amazing place to work
Government Relations Intern (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 1, 2018
I had an internship at the Indianapolis Ivy Tech campus and it was by far the best internship I have ever had. My boss was incredibly easy going and really helped my fellow intern and I to take responsibility for projects while not giving us so much work that we felt like we were in over our heads. I would love to work full time for Ivy Tech someday!
Student engagement
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INApril 29, 2018
The ability to impact students life is fantastic. Professional development is allotted and the learning platform of canvas is easy to use. Great atmosphere for students.
n/a
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INApril 27, 2018
It's a good job opportunity for anyone who has gone here as a student. I enjoy helping all students with their assignments and seeing teachers I also had.
College Instructor
Adjunct faculty Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INApril 24, 2018
I feel like I spent numorous preparation time outside of the classroom. Of Course we dont get paid for the prep hours so there are many hours that never get reimbursed. I feel the students complain when they get a C or below even if the validitiy of the tests and the result of the test scores are on the mean. You work independently to use the Instructors materials as well as collecting outside examples and material. The prep materials in the library for Psychology were low. Ironicaly, despite communication problems by only using gmail to communicate I did enjoy this job I just needed a higher salary for the stress level of the job.
Pros
Teach Independently. Instructors manuals were provided
Temporary
SUPPLEMENTAL INSTRUCTOR, FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING 101 (Current Employee) –  Anderson, INApril 24, 2018
Temporary, part-time role as a Supplemental Instructor. Great place of employment. Management was helpful and culture was relaxed. Recommend others to obtain a position with Ivy Tech.
I love what I do
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INApril 21, 2018
I love being an adjunct professor. I love working with students. However, they only let you take four classes a semester and the pay is only around 650 biweekly with those 4 classes. If I could take more classes I could make it work.
Pros
Easy going, fun classes, great environment, awesome supervisors
Cons
Low pay
HIghly personalized, flexible, welcoming
Supplemental Instructor (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INApril 19, 2018
My time as an employee at Ivy Tech has been an incredibly rewarding experience in terms of career, academic, and personal goals. Both positions afforded me flexibility in my employed methods, challenged both my work skills and academic knowledge, and laid a groundwork for what I see as my eventual career path: higher education. Management allows us to conduct our responsibilities in the manner we deem most effective within the parameters defined for us, and our 'tutoring society' is more of a family that a detached network of coworkers. Our days as tutors are quite simple: we assist any students who come to us and tend to the tutoring room in the absence of students. Supplemental instruction, while similar, is more rigorous: we attend a given class, take notes, assist in lecture, and offer structured supplemental lessons outside of class.
Pros
atmosphere, career relevance, work freedom
Cons
lack of hours and benefits
Relaxed job for bright students
Supplemental Instruction Leader, Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INApril 16, 2018
This is by far the best job for full time students. As an SI leader, you get paid to hold study sessions for a class that you have already done well in. The bosses are phenomenal, and there are snacks!
Pros
Helping students succeed
A decent place to work
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INApril 15, 2018
It is a decent place to work. My boss was awesome. every week was something different. The instructors there come from varying parts of the industry and make the job there interesting.
Instructor
ADJUNCT INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INApril 15, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working at Ivy Tech College. I began working there right after graduation in 2012 and worked there until my husband and I left to relocate and semi retire.
Review
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INApril 13, 2018
Temporary job - training was not included with hiring or onboarding. A lot of time outside of work was expected for lesson plan development compared to the compensation.
I am workstudy
Print Office – Workstudy (Current Employee) –  Sellersburg, INApril 10, 2018
I am workstudy. This is a great option if you need some money but are a full-time student; they will work around class schedules. End of semesters can get a bit hectic though.
Student Makes the Difference
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INApril 10, 2018
I feel that Ivy Tech is at the forefront of providing exceptional educational opportunities to our community and I am thankful to be a part of this organization.
Pros
Accessibility, employee involvement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ivy Tech Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2