Ivy Tech Community College Employee Reviews

Giving students alternate learning concepts
Supplemental Instructor (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 11, 2019
I sat in on classes and observed content of lecture. Helped students keep up with curriculum. Helped students to understand and keep up with lecture concepts. Once a week I held a study session to present an alternate way of learning, and a weekly lesson. I worked alongside instructors and head of automotive dept. to develop a plan to help students. It was rewarding to help students that otherwise may not pass a class.
Great place to change lives
Welding Instructor (Former Employee) –  East Chicago, INJanuary 11, 2019
Great equipment and opportunity. Terrible and small minded people in control that degrade the integrity of the programs.
College president is on point and comes from manufacturing background, but she is working with academics who only wish to complicate the process of education.
IvyTech is a great place to work!
ADJUNCT PROFESSOR (Current Employee) –  Sellersburg, INJanuary 3, 2019
Enjoyed my short time at IvyTech. The only complaint I have is that my Bose bluetooth, wireless speaker was taken from my classroom.

Otherwise, it was a great experience!
Great place to intern
Admin Assi for the Med Assist Program Chair (Former Employee) –  Columbus, INDecember 27, 2018
While going to school I was able to intern for the program chair in the field that I was going to school for. I was able to get extra practice outside of school hours while working
fun work place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 20, 2018
Productive work environment. I was able to multi task with more than one student at a time. I learned how to process information for student aid. It was a very friendly work environment.
Pros
able to work with my school schedule
Cons
pay was not enough
Part-time instructor
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INDecember 20, 2018
As a part-time instructor I have had very few if any negative experiences working for the college. My supervisor is amazing. The college is very student centered and focused and sometimes there is an expectation that you bend over backwards to accommodate the student, but that is understandable.
Pros
Reduced tuition
Cons
No opportunity for advancement
en lighting, learning environment
Customer Service Assistant (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 18, 2018
Ivy tech is environment that allows student to return to school as well as work it's filled of educational opportunity and more develop minds.
I enjoyed learning professionalism and life long skills.
Pros
learning tools
Cons
short breaks 30 min
fun good place to work
Student (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INDecember 17, 2018
go to a normal college this is a joke and should only be taken as a joke. I really enjoyed my time at ivy tech. this is really just cuz this is a required field
Great opportunity
Business Adjunct (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INDecember 16, 2018
Great Community college.

Great management, very understanding.

High management culture.

I enjoy working with students, and assist in reaching their goals.
Enjoyed teaching a wide variety of students from various walks of life
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 16, 2018
Provided an active learning environment with focus on career advancement and developing professional careers. Provided excellent opportunity for career change. Friendly learning environment.
Pros
flexible timing, friendly environment
review
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INDecember 12, 2018
Its an ok job, needs better pay and part-time should get holiday pay. But the people I work with are very nice and helpful. I do enjoy coming to work and helping the students
Great Benefits, bad management, no advancement
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 4, 2018
Ivy Tech has great benefits, however, for some, education, experience,and proficiency in position, does not always guarantee advancement in job or salary. Certain departments are ran by prejudice leads, treating certain groups of people with less value vs. other employees. Not every department or employees are as such, Ivy Tech is a great way to network as long as it's to network with people outside of the college.
best and worst
Assistant Director of Academic Advising (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INNovember 30, 2018
If the work that I do wasn't so meaningful to me they would have scared me away with their clicky culture and strategic favoritism of the incompetent years ago. The career advancement strategy is incoherent and inconsistently applied. The hardest part of the job is trying to provide for your family with the 1960's era compensation while the best part is being able to legitimately help people better their lives.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement
Cons
Politics, poor communication, no accountability of leadership.
Advancement
Faculty (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 29, 2018
No areas for advancement on the faculty side. Supervisors are too concerned about losing their own jobs to you so they do not help promote job growth within the organization. No individual recognition for jobs that exceed expectation. Students needs are getting lost in red tape and paperwork. Definitely a case of too many Chiefs and not enough Indians.
Pros
Free education at Ivy Tech to employees and families
Cons
no paid vacation time.
Work Study
VA Work Study (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INNovember 27, 2018
I worked as a work study in an office for Veterans with a fellow veteran and took care of other fellow veterans for a year and a couple months. This job gave me great joy and taught me several things as a civilian.
Pros
bookstore, snacks
Cons
school
Many good people, love the students
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 16, 2018
Work with many excellent people, and love the students. Upper management does not value employees. Hours capped to avoid paying any benefits. No sick pay, vacation pay. My spouse subsidizes me to be able to accept the low wage.

Almost entire faculty adjunct, high turnover, no pay for lesson prep ime or grading so instructor pay is quite low per hour.
Pros
great students, rewarding work
Cons
low pay, no benefits
Fun and educational
Adjunct Faculty, School of Computing & Informatics (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INNovember 13, 2018
A typical day is I come in anmdf teach class. I always learn something in class. The hardest part is preparing for class and the most enjoyavble is when the students "get it".
I would love to return
College Student (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INNovember 12, 2018
I enjoyed my classes, as well as my instructors. The advisor screwed up on my fasfa and I ended up getting stuck with a bunch of student loans. I got A's in every class.
Low Pay
Advising Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, INNovember 12, 2018
It’s unfortunate that Ivy Tec does not offer more hours nor benefits. Ivy Tech will utilize other full time employees from other locations to fill in for positions that have been vacant for awhile. This causes confusion and a stressful work environment for the students and employees already working in those satellite locations. Team work gets ignored when sub employees from other locations come in. There are several part time positions filled but no benefits are offered. In the near future it will be difficult to fill those part time positions because there are no benefits offered.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Low pay no benefits
Safety and security
Secuity guard (Former Employee) –  Gary, INNovember 2, 2018
Making sure the students, staff, faculty and coworkers were safe and secure. Making sure that you are fully staffed at all times would be the hardest part of the job.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Breaks were too short

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ivy Tech Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight