J and J Holmes Employee Reviews

Enjoyable work enviroment
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNOctober 15, 2018
I loved working for this company when I was employed there. I had to put in my notice because of pay and distance and it wasn't worth the drive for me. But I loved the people I worked with and for they were all amazing. I would go back in a heart beat if they pay was just a bit higher and it paid for me to travel. This company was so good to me and so was my supervisor.
Positive place that showed you how to be humble
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNAugust 14, 2018
Spent 3 years there during college and it really helped me get through it. Had time to make sure my clients were well taken care of while being able to study. Had room to speak with my supervisors about any problems. Most importantly there was opportunities to be promoted within the company and if that was an option for you they'd help you find something.
J and J Holmes
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  St. Cloud, MNAugust 1, 2018
J and J Holmes can be a great company for some employees, but is not for everyone. I enjoyed working with the clients and most of my coworkers while working here, and particularly enjoyed client outings and getting to do fun activities with them. While client outings are fun, not all staff are allowed to drive - some don't have a license, some have a suspended/revoked license, some have a DWI on their record, etc. This results in the staff that can drive having to always be the "drivers" which I think a lot of staff have viewed as problematic, because constantly having to drive the clients or other staff around can get old pretty quickly. However, it is great to see the staff make a difference and help improve the quality of their lives.

My biggest frustration while working for J and J Holmes was getting stuck on shifts. It was very frustrating to expect to be done with my shift at a certain time, but if my coworker didn’t show up to relieve me, I’d have to work another 8 hours or until someone came in for me. Getting stuck working for 16 hours got old really fast, especially unexpectedly getting stuck on overnight shifts. Supervisors and management understand that this is a problem, but at the end of the day, if they can’t find coverage and if your coworker doesn’t show up to relieve you, you will get stuck until the end of their shift. This is particularly frustrating for students, parents, or anyone who has plans after work.

I was also extremely frustrated by the disregard for the “attendance policy” from most employees – including supervisors and management. Due to
  more... a high turnover rate of employees, supervisors and management know that they cannot fully enforce the attendance policy. Most staff that have been there for 6+ months know and take advantage of this. As a result, it’s not uncommon to work there with people that show up if/when they want to, resulting in you staying late or working their entire shift for them when they should’ve been fired weeks, months, or even years ago. Unfortunately, unless they are an absolutely horrible employee, the supervisors and management will work with them and give them “exceptions,” knowing that they cannot fire them because they are often short-staffed as it is, and few employees are actually quality staff. I should also note that some of the clients can be quite behavioral and have a history of aggression and violence. Staff have even ended up in the hospital as a result of client behaviors, so working with a group of potentially behavioral individuals can be both rewarding and concerning.  less
Pros
Laidback atmosphere, free meals, informal dress code, client outings, diverse employees (a lot of them are students)
Cons
Getting stuck on shifts, minimal raises, management’s physical presence is often non-existent in the homes, all staff have to work holidays
Amazing Clients, pay and hours suck!
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMay 26, 2018
Clients are amazing! Sadly they pay 10.55 an hour and I have 7+ years of experience. They tell you part time hours in job offer, then schedule you full time.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Pay and hours
A gem to work for!
House Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMay 23, 2018
I started my career at J & J Holmes as a House Supervisor and enjoyed my time within the company! They are a great company who values their employees and clients. They truly care!

Great benefits, and flexibility! Would work for them again in a heartbeat!
Pros
Management, Clients, Benefits
The company is a very fun place to work. With so many different sites, you are afforded an opportunity to work relatively within the time you like.
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMay 21, 2018
The most enjoyable part of working at J&J is the clients you get to interact with. They make your day. Sometimes you arrive at work with all your issues and leave feeling very good about the day because you get to interact with these wonderful people. Don’t mistake me, some days are challenging but most of the time, it’s a pretty chilled environment.
Pros
Free meals, enjoy activities with clients, help improve clients daily living.
Cons
Lack of advancement, relatively low pay
Horrible Managment
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Sartell, MNApril 9, 2018
This job asks so much out of you and give you nothing in return. The company had to down size due to state funds and it has affected the staff in a great way. It takes away pay raises and appreciation gifts. The company doesn't acknowledge the employers when they have so much on their plate.
Pros
free meals, outings
Cons
horrible managment
Professional work environment with opportunities for growth
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNApril 5, 2018
I provided a great experience for the patients, along with providing assistance in daily living and personal care services in patient’s homes. Very rewarding workplace.
Typical Day
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNDecember 1, 2017
A typical day involved assisting clients with being as independent as they could be in their daily functioning. This included things with personal hygiene as well as daily living tasks.
My summary
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNOctober 4, 2017
I worked there for 8 years, it was a great company. Very flexible with my school schedule and my supervisors were great. I learned a lot about the mental health field and it helped me chose my degree in psychology.
Great, rewarding place to work
Direct Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Pillager, MNSeptember 25, 2017
I really enjoyed working at J and J Holmes. It was very rewarding and made you feel like you really making a difference in peoples lives. Everyone that works there are caring and compassionate, you can really tell they care for the clients.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
periods of down time, got a little boring at night
what i learned
Residential Instructor (Former Employee) –  Pillager, MNAugust 16, 2017
I have learned by working for this company is that anyone can do a particular job or be independent but at sometimes people need some help being encouraged or assistance and doing so. The individuals that I worked for were challenged but they had a daily plan and program level chart to abide by. They went to work, shopped, church, no different then anybody else. So no matter what color you are or what age you are or if you are on a program level. You are able to do anything if you set your mind to it. As a staff we were able to encourage them and help them do daily things .
Rewarding and Enjoyable
Assistant House Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sartell, MNJune 6, 2017
My time working at J and J has redefined who I am. I have a new view on the world. I am so thankful for the opportunity that this job has provided me.
Pros
Free meals, amazing experiences, and rewarding.
Productive and fun workplace, Job made me feel I made a difference
Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNJune 3, 2017
Very nice relaxing job, clients always came up with fun ways to spend the shift. Very organized and serious company to work for. The days were spent mostly hanging out with the clients around the house. Cooking, cleaning, and driving them to desired places.
Productive and active place to work.
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Waite Park, MNApril 29, 2017
Worked with clients at their house. Spend the day with them doing activities on their schedule and take them out on outings. Work place culture is very diverse with co-workers from different backgrounds. Most enjoyable part of the job is having the chance to interact with the clients on their daily routines.
Pros
Free meals with clients.
Cons
No real breaks.
Direct Care
Direct Care Support (Former Employee) –  Sartell, MN 56377April 19, 2017
So much offered, if you remain teachable and do your very best, this is a great company for you. You have to work as a team and be flexible. Be patient.
Pros
Learning
Cons
For me there was none
Work in homes that are safe and enjoyable.
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNApril 11, 2017
While working with this company for the past couple years, I experienced the ups and downs of being direct care. Bad news first? Well the company was outstanding when I first joined. The care for its employees has dramatically gone down over the years. There are less rewards for well deserved staff than when I first started. Management can be great when your on their good side. Overall the job gives people many skill sets to become successful in other fields. Skills like patience, communication, perseverance can be acquired working in this company. The most enjoyable aspect of the job is it doesn't feel like a job, no uniforms, just appropriate garments required for client safety.
Pros
Free meals, outings with clients, flexible.
Cons
no breaks, salary is not enough for the work done.
Great company
Tranier liaison (Current Employee) –  Sartell, MNApril 4, 2017
I have worked for the company for 15 years and look forward to many more. I have been given the opportunity to advance in my career with J and J Holmes. We have high quality staff, supervisors, management that really care about the clients we serve. If you are looking for a job that will help you juggle work, school and family life this is the company to work for.
Pros
Work with great clients, flexible schedules, work experiance for people that are going to school for related careers
Cons
Working everyother weekend- this could be a pro for some people that are busy during the week
No family/work balance
Direct Care (Current Employee) –  Pillager, MNMarch 17, 2017
Consistently under staffed, staff unappreciated, low pay, stuck on shifts constantly. No room for advancement. You will be a body to fill shifts. Management makes no effort since you are dispensable. Stay away.
Pros
awesome clients
Cons
awful management, low pay, under staffed, not appreciated, beware.
fun, caring, good leadership
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMarch 16, 2017
worked there for about 3-4 years, very good leadership, they care about their clients, willing to give second chances to employees, dedicated company.
Pros
activities, give away parties
Cons
not a lot of overtime. high turn over rate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J and J Holmes. Our community is ready to answer.