J and J Holmes Employee Reviews in Saint Cloud, MN

Enjoyable work enviroment
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNOctober 15, 2018
I loved working for this company when I was employed there. I had to put in my notice because of pay and distance and it wasn't worth the drive for me. But I loved the people I worked with and for they were all amazing. I would go back in a heart beat if they pay was just a bit higher and it paid for me to travel. This company was so good to me and so was my supervisor.
Positive place that showed you how to be humble
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNAugust 14, 2018
Spent 3 years there during college and it really helped me get through it. Had time to make sure my clients were well taken care of while being able to study. Had room to speak with my supervisors about any problems. Most importantly there was opportunities to be promoted within the company and if that was an option for you they'd help you find something.
J and J Holmes
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  St. Cloud, MNAugust 1, 2018
J and J Holmes can be a great company for some employees, but is not for everyone. I enjoyed working with the clients and most of my coworkers while working here, and particularly enjoyed client outings and getting to do fun activities with them. While client outings are fun, not all staff are allowed to drive - some don't have a license, some have a suspended/revoked license, some have a DWI on their record, etc. This results in the staff that can drive having to always be the "drivers" which I think a lot of staff have viewed as problematic, because constantly having to drive the clients or other staff around can get old pretty quickly. However, it is great to see the staff make a difference and help improve the quality of their lives.

My biggest frustration while working for J and J Holmes was getting stuck on shifts. It was very frustrating to expect to be done with my shift at a certain time, but if my coworker didn’t show up to relieve me, I’d have to work another 8 hours or until someone came in for me. Getting stuck working for 16 hours got old really fast, especially unexpectedly getting stuck on overnight shifts. Supervisors and management understand that this is a problem, but at the end of the day, if they can’t find coverage and if your coworker doesn’t show up to relieve you, you will get stuck until the end of their shift. This is particularly frustrating for students, parents, or anyone who has plans after work.

I was also extremely frustrated by the disregard for the “attendance policy” from most employees – including supervisors and management. Due to
  more... a high turnover rate of employees, supervisors and management know that they cannot fully enforce the attendance policy. Most staff that have been there for 6+ months know and take advantage of this. As a result, it’s not uncommon to work there with people that show up if/when they want to, resulting in you staying late or working their entire shift for them when they should’ve been fired weeks, months, or even years ago. Unfortunately, unless they are an absolutely horrible employee, the supervisors and management will work with them and give them “exceptions,” knowing that they cannot fire them because they are often short-staffed as it is, and few employees are actually quality staff. I should also note that some of the clients can be quite behavioral and have a history of aggression and violence. Staff have even ended up in the hospital as a result of client behaviors, so working with a group of potentially behavioral individuals can be both rewarding and concerning.  less
Pros
Laidback atmosphere, free meals, informal dress code, client outings, diverse employees (a lot of them are students)
Cons
Getting stuck on shifts, minimal raises, management’s physical presence is often non-existent in the homes, all staff have to work holidays
Amazing Clients, pay and hours suck!
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMay 26, 2018
Clients are amazing! Sadly they pay 10.55 an hour and I have 7+ years of experience. They tell you part time hours in job offer, then schedule you full time.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Pay and hours
A gem to work for!
House Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMay 23, 2018
I started my career at J & J Holmes as a House Supervisor and enjoyed my time within the company! They are a great company who values their employees and clients. They truly care!

Great benefits, and flexibility! Would work for them again in a heartbeat!
Pros
Management, Clients, Benefits
The company is a very fun place to work. With so many different sites, you are afforded an opportunity to work relatively within the time you like.
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMay 21, 2018
The most enjoyable part of working at J&J is the clients you get to interact with. They make your day. Sometimes you arrive at work with all your issues and leave feeling very good about the day because you get to interact with these wonderful people. Don’t mistake me, some days are challenging but most of the time, it’s a pretty chilled environment.
Pros
Free meals, enjoy activities with clients, help improve clients daily living.
Cons
Lack of advancement, relatively low pay
Professional work environment with opportunities for growth
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNApril 5, 2018
I provided a great experience for the patients, along with providing assistance in daily living and personal care services in patient’s homes. Very rewarding workplace.
Typical Day
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNDecember 1, 2017
A typical day involved assisting clients with being as independent as they could be in their daily functioning. This included things with personal hygiene as well as daily living tasks.
My summary
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNOctober 4, 2017
I worked there for 8 years, it was a great company. Very flexible with my school schedule and my supervisors were great. I learned a lot about the mental health field and it helped me chose my degree in psychology.
Productive and fun workplace, Job made me feel I made a difference
Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNJune 3, 2017
Very nice relaxing job, clients always came up with fun ways to spend the shift. Very organized and serious company to work for. The days were spent mostly hanging out with the clients around the house. Cooking, cleaning, and driving them to desired places.
Work in homes that are safe and enjoyable.
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNApril 11, 2017
While working with this company for the past couple years, I experienced the ups and downs of being direct care. Bad news first? Well the company was outstanding when I first joined. The care for its employees has dramatically gone down over the years. There are less rewards for well deserved staff than when I first started. Management can be great when your on their good side. Overall the job gives people many skill sets to become successful in other fields. Skills like patience, communication, perseverance can be acquired working in this company. The most enjoyable aspect of the job is it doesn't feel like a job, no uniforms, just appropriate garments required for client safety.
Pros
Free meals, outings with clients, flexible.
Cons
no breaks, salary is not enough for the work done.
fun, caring, good leadership
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMarch 16, 2017
worked there for about 3-4 years, very good leadership, they care about their clients, willing to give second chances to employees, dedicated company.
Pros
activities, give away parties
Cons
not a lot of overtime. high turn over rate.
J and J Holmes
Client Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNDecember 11, 2016
I loved working with the clients. Just the people above myself and others always seemed to be better than everybody else. They don't really care if something happens to you in the company. if you are gone one day you loose points if your sick and have a doctors note or even if a family member has died. I believe we work so close and hard with they clients and care about them and the company doesn't care about you as much as you care about the people you are taking care of.
Very rewarding job
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNDecember 11, 2016
An average day in the life of a direct care worker starts off with getting the clients out of bed and getting them to shower, use the bathroom, etc. For some this is a challenge, others independently do it on their own. Then you give them their medication and make them breakfast. After breakfast they usually leave for work and are there until mid afternoon. Then they get back and you just talk to them to see how their day was. Then they get dinner and by that time its almost time for bed. The clients then do more personal/oral hygiene cares and then they take meds and have a snack and then they are off to bed. Occasionally you have to deal with behaviors but nothing major!
Pros
Free meals, learn life skills, move up quickly, get to know clients on a personal level, helping make clients lives more sustainable and liveable, overall very rewarding
Cons
Hours, possibility of getting stuck/frozen
Nice Place
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMay 31, 2015
Great opportunity for someone who is interested in working with people with special needs. Fun atmosphere and a place to meet other people who share your interest in work.
A good place to work
DIRECT CARE STAFF (Former Employee) –  St. Cloud, MNOctober 3, 2014
Spent the day with clients. Got them ready for school and/or work, passed medications and helped implement their behavior programs to improve their skills.
Care Taker (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMay 2, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job was helping clients to enrich their daily lifes'