J. Crew Group, Inc. Employee Reviews

Work Environment
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 1, 2019
I worked here for a seasonal position and the pay was good, discounts are great but the management sucked. I only had good experiences with two of the managers out of 4 and had issues with being treated poorly by management/supervisor. Theres a lot of favoritism and gossip/drama within the associates. I eventually just stopped going because I couldn't handle the pettiness anymore. My supervisor played favorites and didn't ever want to hear anyone else view points. I was also expected to sell at the minimum $700 worth of clothes in a three hour shift.
Pros
breaks, discounts
Cons
cut throat environment, fast paced
there's alot of favorism there and drama
matrialhandler (Former Employee) –  Arden, NCNovember 12, 2018
it was a stressful place to work people don't really get trained there's no follow up .there is alot of wrongful discharging there .if the company doesn't like you they will make it ruff on you .they lie and discriminate against certain people especially if they do not like you .the hardest part is some the people who worked there for awhile they are mean .they definitely play favors .they make if they don't like want to quiet .
Pros
health benefits
Cons
i have nothin nice about this company
Okay place to work part time, but management could have been better
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAOctober 16, 2018
I think that a change in management and then a reduction in full time management staff had an effect on how well the store was run and how the workplace culture felt for the many part time employees. Also, hours from week to week were really inconsistent - one week I could work for literally just four hours and the next I would be working five days in a row, which was really stressful, but honestly I think this was just my store and other J. Crew stores would be a different story.
Cut throat and unprofessional
Packer (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAOctober 13, 2018
Ok for temporary work assignments. Lewd environment very unprofessional. Not enough job stability to consider to become a main source of income. Temps are talked down to and mistreated (just a body). Hardwork goes unrecognized, unexpected send homes if work isn't available. Clicks that you should avoid. No support from temporary agencies just sides with Jcrew. Extremely unprofessional management. Ok if you want a quick short term way to make overtime. Dictatorship if you talk back you go on their DO NOT HIRE list for at least a year.
Pros
Overtime is good
Cons
Perverted and Unprofessional
Too stressful
Client Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAOctober 8, 2018
This place has gone downhill since changing CEO’s. You’re basically pressured to practically give the merchandise away to the customer if they make a fuss. The employees, especially managers and platform associates who do nothing but delegate responsibilities all day. J Crew was once an easy going fun place to work but now they can’t keep anyone and have training classes just about every other week. And still can’t keep enough associates in the seats to take the endless calls. Thank God I found something else.
Pros
Discount, all the overtime you want
Cons
Everything else
Fun place to work, but...
Associate Merchant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2018
J.Crew has been a great place to start my career, but seems like at some point, our jobs have become sort of life-style & the members of the team don’t care enough about the business & don’t take their jobs seriously. That being said, the people are really nice & the team is fun. Just not sure they take their jobs seriously.
go to a better location
J Crew (Former Employee) –  Victor, NYOctober 10, 2018
director was all over the place. was 2 months in and never trained me on opening duties. was only suppose to close twice a week but ended up closing 4 times a week. director had personal problems so she was focused on her stuff. offered extra hours and time to help her out but she took it defensively. i bet the other locations was better managed properly.
Fun and Informative for those who want to build experience
Assistant Manager / Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, SCAugust 30, 2018
-A company with set standards which are not out of reach. A lot of stress for part time employees who just want a "fun/extra job".
- Hardest goals to achieve were getting credit cards because of the demographic we are in, many people would rather use alternative methods / income is higher and do not want a high interest store credit card.
- It was very enjoyable to help the loyal customers - amazing people!
Pros
Discounts, uniform
Cons
Hours, Pay/Salary
Enjoy the long shifts while you can
Retail Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tannersville, PASeptember 28, 2018
The staff is hard to know personally bevause everyone knows everybody for at least 2 years. The managers are amazing but the store is always messy and its outdated. Throughout all of August i got no hours, I ended up having to get a second job because i couldnt pay my expenses.
Pros
They buy food sometimes, flexible schedules.
Stay as far away as possible
Packer (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAOctober 24, 2018
I've worked at J. Crew no less than four times over the years and I can personally vouch, as someone who's worked in several states and several jobs, that the J. Crew warehouse in Lynchburg, VA is the single most unorganized and poorly managed place I have ever had the experience of working.

This is a company that does not care what you do or how much you do so long as you do not get caught doing it or make problems for them. They simply do not value hard work, as they can just easily replace you (something they have explicitly told me this last time).

This should be treated only as a temporary job at best, but do not, DO NOT work here in any serious capacity, and absolutely do not listen to anything they tell you at first, because I promise you, the only thing the leads and higher-ups care about is their own job security, and certainly not yours.
Pros
You can wear headphones
Cons
Literally everything else
lack of diversity
Clientele Specialist (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYOctober 16, 2018
JCrew needs to be more open about hiring different race I find that the truly lack on diversity, very hard finding minorities as store managers or assistant mangers. They also do not like to promote with in the company even though they have someone who have the qualification with in the company.
Lack of communication on all levels.
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 14, 2018
The transition from previous to former to no CEO has been the most straining experience. Too many chefs in the kitchen, not enough cooks! Not one person in this company can say they TRUST, or RESPECT a peer or superior.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
work life balance, integrity
Love working here
Stylist & Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 25, 2018
I love my J. Crew team from the managers to the sales staff. Everyone is so friendly and makes the environment so lovely and fun to work at. At the same time because we all work together and get along its easy to meet sales target and help each other along hte way.
Very fast paced
J. Crew, Sales Associate/Stylist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 2, 2018
Being that the store is located in an area known for shopping, the store always has customers, & some days there happens to be an abundance of customers flocking to the store. However being that customers can personally ask for an associate to shop with them, there is also a endless amount of running up & downstairs which eventually causes some fatigue.
Pros
Pay Wage, Discounts, & scenery
Cons
short breaks
Great workspace
Store Director (Current Employee) –  Hyannis, MAJanuary 6, 2019
Happy with the position, just had a new opportunity present itself. District Manager was the most influential individual I could with with. Sheets available for advice, always ready to help out any way she could.
Pros
Discount, the people, the clientele
Cons
Hours
Quick paced environment, with a lot of tourist and locals always came to buy.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 19, 2018
A typical work day at J Crew was very fast paced and the manger was always looking for a way to be better the next day. The management staff was all women with the exceptions of me and the DM. The culture wasn't their because we always had associates walking out or just not showing up to work at their prescribe times. The hardest part of the job was dealing with irate customers and most enjoyable part of the job was being a personal shopper.
Pros
Great commission
Cons
Lack of management ability to communicate to associates
J Crew reveiw
CONTROL CLERK (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJuly 16, 2018
Days seem chaotic and stressful, management is more of a baby sitter wants to stand around and tell you what to do instead of participate in the work environment. They are a do what I say not what I do management style. There are too many people telling a person what to do and not enough workers to get anything done. There a good workers here just not able to come in and do their jobs effectively.
Fun company to work for
Assistant Manager- operations & merchandising (Former Employee) –  OregonNovember 8, 2018
No longer work for the company, but it was a really great job in the earlier years when business was good. As the business began to sink, things started to change....fast. Sad to say, but I'm glad I got out when I did
Great work culture
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXDecember 19, 2018
Working at J.Crew invites you into a unique work environment where each of the employees truly cares about the mission of the company, the products they produce, and the valued customers that are always kind and pleasant.
I loved this job.
Selection Associate (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VADecember 2, 2018
I can't really say how much i liked this job in words. I had an awesome time and made many friends there. It was fast paced and at the time I had a very big problem with anxiety due to the injuries I sustained while working there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J. Crew Group, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight