J. Crew Group, Inc. Employee Reviews

Great job for someone who wants to further it into a career
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 22, 2018
You typically either work with college students coming in looking for those perfect intern/office job outfits, older women, or parents shopping for cute matching clothes for their children.
Management was great and my boss worked with my other job. I learned about enterprise and packaging clothing from the store to ship off. I learned how to deal with customers on the phone asking about certain things in inventory. I learned more about the company and that there is room for advancements always and opportunities in NYC. It's a great company to work for.
Pros
lunch breaks, discount on the clothes
it wasn't the job for me
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 18, 2018
i did not enjoy working there.the managers had favoritism, they picked and chose whom they gave the most hours to! it wasnt my career job.i wish them the best
Great product but lacks consistent feedback
Store Director (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJanuary 18, 2018
J/Crew had always been a business that listened to its teams and provided consistent, honest feedback. As business became challenging, Regional Leadership became more overwhelmed with trying to course correct based on corporate direction and failed to listen to what clients were telling associate and store management teams. Not a company for those who are challenged in analyzing numbers as there is limited training. Working at the store is fun but limited payroll and constantly changing expectations make it hard for store leadership to manage to a consistent goal.
Pros
Great benefits, great store teams
Cons
Leadership doesn't listen to feedback, teams are overworked
Typical
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 15, 2018
JCrew is a typical retail company. Corporate is nice and helpful, but they don't understand the store level. Little stores are overwhelmed with the every day tasks and the customer service that needs to be done.
Nive Job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJanuary 13, 2018
Nice place to work, friendly staff, good work life balance, voluntary time off offered when call volume is low, mandatory overtime during peak season, 3rd week of Nov through 2nd week of Dec, holiday pay, closed Christmas day
good hours, very good benefits
Distribution Center Clerk (Merchandise Processing) (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJanuary 10, 2018
Typical day starts with a department meeting to talk about how the day will be and what is required of everyone. In the 10 years, i had the pleasure to train and work in several department like shipping, assembly, selection, packing, receiving, forward e.t.c.. The management is good and welcoming to associates needs and problems. The peak seasons were crazily busy and we got the chance to work 40-55 hrs a wk and 30-40 hrs on our off peaks days. I cant say there was a hard part of the job because the beauty of being in a company for so long is one gets to learn the job inside out and that makes it easier. So no matter which department you are put in every day, you excel in it because you have worked in all of them. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was peak preparation time from September to early December. I got the chance to train the new hires that the company brought in to assist in the busy season. With the knowledge of each department, I got a chance to train different new people in different areas of the business.
Pros
occasional free lunches, a lot of overt time and incentives during the peak season
Cons
short breaks
Email/Chat Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 10, 2018
I loved working at the J.Crew Call Center - full of great people with lots of benefits. J.Crew knows how to take care of their employees to the best of their ability.
Pros
Paid Time Off, heathcare options
Cons
short breaks
jcrew
Packer (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJanuary 10, 2018
jcrew is a really good place to work at i just don't like standing in one spot because it makes my leg hurt by just being in one spot and you have to work your way up to the open spots
Productive and relaxing workplace
MERCHANDISING PROCESSOR (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJanuary 9, 2018
Super fun place to work. Has many incentives such as free lunches, event dress up days, raffles and "Crewpons". The work is super easy in concept, an intricate way designed so it's almost impossible to mess up whether packing, selecting or merchandise processing. Really good coworkers within this place, alot of support and alot of encouragement to get better. Short 8 hour days, (No 30 min lunch) but 2 paid 20 min breaks which has its ups and downs. Great supervisors and trainers too.
Pros
Free lunches, incentive giftcards for certain days, fun place.
Cons
Can be repetitive or boring at times.
Great job, great people, and the pay is great
Dock receiver (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJanuary 6, 2018
Well the weeks as a dock receiver can be very stressful but it has it's ups and Downs. For instance for those who don't know what duties comply with being a dock receiver it's unloading trailers of clothing constumers return back to jcrew. I learned how to do inventory which is keeping up with what was shipped back on each trailer after unloading. Management was well put together and organized, and all employees were treated fairly. Workplace culture was diverse but that doesn't matter because work is not about who you work with but how you work with them. The best part of the day is when I the shift is about to finish and you made it through another day.
Pros
Great incentives
Nice Environment, Poor Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pooler, GAJanuary 6, 2018
I have been an associate for almost three years and haven't had the opportunity to advance nor have any other co workers. We do not receive more than 9 hours a week unless people call out or get us to cover. It's a great place to work and its relaxed but if you need hours or money, it is NOT the place for you.
Pros
relaxed environment, great management
Cons
insufficient work hours, average pay
Gotta meet that ridiculous PRODUCTION!
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Arden, NCJanuary 5, 2018
I did not last long at J. Crew.I am re-hirable but not much point in going back to the same cycle of things.I'd probably be let go then kept re-hirable to come back just as a set of hands on the team.

Pay attention carefully to the fact of while you're clocked in you're supposed to be making production.That 10 or 15 min. meeting they're having at the beginning of a shift...that's production you need to make up.Gotta use the bathroom?...gotta make up production too.Your paid break?gotta make up production too for that.Shipping is INSANE-unless you're pals with the shift leader most likely you won't get lanes with high numbers to load to keep your production up.Ticketing...is a joke.Your labels for what you need may/may not be ready or not enough printed so you're looking through your stuff for a product you can tag(this affects production).Some stuff takes a lot of time unwrapping and setting up to tag by color.

You'll learn very quickly in times that production has people on edge at J. Crew.The production layout and speed bumps encountered from it make job security so roll-of-the-dice...the management doesn't care.
Pros
Some nice staff
Cons
Production demands need fine-tuning
Pros and Cons of working for J.Crew
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJanuary 5, 2018
I had my own space with the needed phone, computer and desk.
I learned to handle customer concerns in a calm manner. The hardest part of the job was being around young people co workers who did not have good work ethics. The most enjoyable part was being able to have my own space, privacy to interact with customers.
Pros
Having my own space to work with
Cons
Dealing with other co workers who did not have good work ethics
Typical Call center
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 4, 2018
Fun place to work at times but the pay isn't great. Would be great if we could advance within the company and offered better incentives to the employees
Wonderful place to work
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Salem, NHDecember 29, 2017
Wonderful staff and management, beautiful products
Everyone was welcoming and helpful and the environment is relaxed. I also enjoy helping the customers
Pros
Discount on apparrel
first time mall job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brea, CADecember 27, 2017
I worked here in college, bad schedule because they only gave it out weekly, plus you had terrible on call shifts so you could never make plans. The only good thing was the discount
Pros
discount on clothes
Cons
part time hours unless you are managment
review
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutDecember 17, 2017
during the day i would sell products and aid customers i set up visual displays and kept the floor space clean and orginized. It was draining working with customers all day and demanding emotionally.
Independant easy going
PCA Personal Care Aide & RA (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VADecember 17, 2017
You work in sections and basically alone and the job is packing putting orders in bags or boxes and seal them and put the on the line to be sent out to customers
Great workplace
Clientele Specialist (Former Employee) –  Forest, VADecember 9, 2017
Good company! I really enjoyed working here although the customers were something else. The company shows that it appreciates it workers during Peak Season.
Pros
Environment is set for you to advance
Cons
Limited working hours
I enjoyed working for the company
Store Director (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 7, 2017
Although J CREW was going through many transitions as a company at the time of my employment, they did a great job with communicating and ensuring that day to day operations were not affected. Had I not had a medical issue I would have continued to work for them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J. Crew Group, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.