J. F. Ahern Co. Employee Reviews

Amazing place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 10, 2019
I loved every day of working at JF Ahern. There wasn't a single change that I would have implemented. The atmosphere is casual and management is great at allowing you to be yourself and strives to help you find what you excel at.
September 12, 2019

We absolutely love hearing that you feel at home here at Ahern! Thank you for your feedback and for sharing your perspective regarding Ahern life. Thank you for being a member of our Ahern family; we appreciate you!

Great place to work, only for those who are true workhorses.
Sprinklerfitter (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAAugust 25, 2019
Great place to work, only for those who are true workhorses. It is a fast paced job with heavy lifting and high expectations however it has been great money for supporting my family
August 28, 2019

Thank you for your outstanding review! We're pleased to hear that our work culture resonates with you, and we appreciate your dedication to Ahern, our customers, communities, and the environment. Thank you again for being a member of our team!

Good Work Environment
Service Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 23, 2019
A majority of my day is spent working on emails and responding to customer requests. The other part of my day is working with internal staff and helping them with their requests and customers. The work environment is relaxed and everybody helps out even if you are not in the same department.
August 28, 2019

Thank you for sharing your experience working at Ahern! We're thrilled to hear that you're enjoying your time with us, and we're happy to hear that you feel at home in our Milwaukee office, too. Thank you again for your feedback, and for taking the time to share your experiences. We appreciate you!

I loved my time and job
Sprinkler Fitter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAAugust 16, 2019
It was a great place to work very helpful place to work. The guys there always took the time to teach things unknown and explain things that were needed to advance in your career
August 20, 2019

Thank you for the outstanding review! We're incredibly pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at Ahern and our appreciated our work culture. We wish you the absolute best with your next career steps!

Great Company to work for
Plumbing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIJuly 31, 2019
Ahern is a fast passed and motivated company. They will treat you right if you can prove that you want to work and provide a satisfactory product for them.
August 6, 2019

Thank you for your tremendous feedback! We're pleased to hear that you've had a great experience with Ahern, and we appreciate your commitment to our company, communities, and customers!

Sheet Metal Foreman (Current Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIOctober 22, 2018
Ahern is great company who prides itself on quality installations and customer care. They are more than willing to do everything they can to provide you with all of the tools you need in order to make your job more cost effective and productive. For the most part they have a great management team who is always looking for ways to advance the company to the next level.
Good place to make a career.
Materials Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WISeptember 26, 2018
Fast pace, very concerned with Safety. Great Insurance package. Annual 2% pay raise for lower level employees. Problems with not enough work space to keep pace with need.
Pros
Lot's pf company events
Cons
To heavy on the top end of Administration
Top-Rated Company to work for
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IA 52807August 28, 2018
I really enjoyed working at J.F. Ahern. The office was small and the people were great. The benefits were well above the standard. My position was eliminated in October of 2016 due to budget cuts. My only harsh words would be that I worked the entire fiscal year, qualified for a bonus but because they eliminated my position and I wasn't going to be on staff at the time the bonuses were paid out, they didn't pay me.
Pros
Free lunches occassionally
Cons
District Office where management can change without notice
September 20, 2018

Great to hear that you worked with great people, enjoyed the culture and the benefits overall. Additionally, we appreciate the feedback on the bonus plan.

Ahern
Fire Protection Designer (Former Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIAugust 27, 2018
Very large company with many divisions that don't seem to communicate well together. A lot of micromanagement. During travel employee comfort was not considered due to cost concerns.
September 20, 2018

Thanks so much for your feedback. With a number of employees and divisions, communication can always be challenging. We strive to provide multiple methods for communication whether it be one-on-one with local leadership, directly through our executive leadership, or even through new tools like our company intranet.

Poor pay
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 25, 2018
In my opinion they are not organized and they arent willing to pay what people what the job deserves. They expected a lot with out allowing enough time.
Pros
40 hours a week
Cons
under paid, over worked
Solid company with cultural weaknesses in some divisions.
Sales / Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Marinette, WIFebruary 14, 2018
Potential to be a fine company. Our division was too frequently managed by fear. This division has a tendency to role multiple roles into one associate. What I did for them used to be done by 3 or more people. The hardest part of the job was meeting the elevated expectation of my most recent manager. Three years ago, they increased my budget by 250% so, even though I had very solid years based upon previous goals, it became exceptionally challenging to meet their expectations.

The most enjoyable part was serving our customers and designing solutions to meet their fire suppression needs. I also enjoyed my co-workers who felt more like family to me.
Pros
Designing solutions; benefits; co-workers.
Cons
Unrealistic expectations and fear culture of our divisional management.
Not Equal
Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 1, 2017
Does not treat employees fair nor equal. Never a fair warning on any level. Work hour are very good. Management does not know how to manage. No diversity in the work place.
Ahern is a Union
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 17, 2017
The biggest factor with mechanical contracting is whether or not the company is sourced with Union laborers or non-Union laborers. Ahern is a Union company and therefore, anyone who was not Union did not fit in.
nice place and people
Technician (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 7, 2017
nice place and people good training good benefits can make a really good home there because it allows you to grow with the company. you can achieve your goals through success
A good first start
Fire Protection Design Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 1, 2017
I never ahd experience working in fire protection until I found a job working with Ahern. Despite my limited knowledge, I found it to be an engaging and fun first job experience
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIJuly 7, 2017
Loved working here. Great benefits and great pay advancement. The job can be hard and it does get busy but we were always having a good time. Shop foreman was extremely understanding if you needed time off.
Pros
Great pay advancement, excellent work environment.
Cons
None if you dont mind overtime.
Not a very good company
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  NebraskaJuly 5, 2017
I am not sure how they stay in business, other than ripping off their employees. They will promise you a quarterly bonus, but find any reason they can to not pay out the bonus!

Over promise and under deliver is their saying!
Pros
All the hotel points I accumulated
Cons
All the hotel point I accumulated lead to stress at home since I was never home!
Fast paced learning organization
Divisional Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WI 54935May 19, 2017
A fast paced environment where you're on your feet. What I learned is there's no substitute for learning the work the men and women do for Ahern, very rewarding to be on a team that dives deep into problem solving and taking action.
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
Work life balance
Growing Company
N/A (Current Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIMay 1, 2017
Ahern is a growing company that is committed to the professional development of their employees. Ahern invests in the long-term success of the company which provides on-going career opportunities for their employees.

Ahern is big enough to reap the benefits of a large company yet small enough to still feel the family-owned atmosphere.

The pace can be challenging, you need to be self motivated to work here.
Efficient, well run organization
Organizational Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIFebruary 22, 2017
Well run company with fast pace and significant attention to detail in everything they do. Tripp Ahern is visionary and strategic in his leadership.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J. F. Ahern Co.. Our community is ready to answer.