J.A.M. Distributing Employee Reviews

Lack Of Management Leadersip
Fuel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 21, 2018
If you are serious about your career don't trust the Equipment Department Management. Lack of direction and knowledge in the field service management. Too many unsatisfied customers and most of the projects lack of coordination. Their procedures are weak and rarely those are followed. You are hired to perform in your field and they delegate to you work on equipment that you are not even qualified or certified to do. During the interview the management promises are never met. Lack of personnel. Too many people quit or get fired but too way many!!!!
Benefits
Cons
Management have no clue of leadership
Great People, Great Work
Employee (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 6, 2018
This company is like a family and they will always listen and take care of you. In the past there have been different management and different owners of the company, but now they are owned by Brenntag and still working out kinks to mesh well.

If you have an idea they will listen to you. If you don't feel challenged then tell them and they will give you more responsibilities. Overall I would recommend working here.
Pros
401k, Medical, Vision, Dental, Pto
Cons
N/a
Fun place to work!
Office Staff (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 11, 2018
I enjoy the fast-paced environment! My co-workers are great and we get a lot of support from our management team, There has been a lot of change over the past couple of years and although it was difficult, the benefits are starting to pay off. We continue to grow and the new employees are helping us deal more effectively with our growth.
Pros
brought in massage people during our ERP go-live
Cons
new ERP system took a lot of effort to get used to
Not fair to drivers
Fuel Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 4, 2018
They will pay Hispanic more than any other race the manger is Hispanic he take care his on not the white are blacks it could be a better place to work for
Avoid at all costs
Steering wheel holder (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 20, 2017
This is probably the most frustrating company I've ever worked for. Dont expect much. The nepotism and favoritism has been out of control for quite some time and is just continuing to snowball. The transport supervisor has been allowed to run wild here for at least a decade, ie. Hiring friends and family at a significantly higher starting pay rate than the average driver with years and years of verifiable experience. Understandably, the moral here is astonishingly low. I'd estimate 75% of the drivers are on the verge of revolting. Lies, lies, and more lies from management. Constantly. I regret ever coming to work here and am actively trying to get out. The safety department portrays itself to be strong, but in fact is very weak. If you have been in this industry a while and you come to work here, you'll see what mean.
Pros
fantastic co workers
Cons
begins and ends with the managent, no communication, unhappy people, Raises are on average about $.30 an hour once a year. Insulting and unacceptable.
High school all over again
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 16, 2017
Management is great. But there are some people there that are bitter about not being management, that they spread their venom around to others. Since day one, they have talked badly about management, in my face!! Day one!! It affects the dynamic of the team if they hear you talk badly of others. Mind your business, you're here to work! It's so sad to hear them talk so badly about their peers all day long. If you have to be told how to do your job and to stay at your desk then that's not management material. Move on. I would say be careful to whom ever starts working here. Or even better, DONT work here!
Pros
Cons
Unruly people.
Poor raises. Poor management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 31, 2017
This place has more internal problems. They do nothing to correct
They hire from outside do not promote within . Keep hiring more executive. Losing many good people and long time employees
Raises do not even cover cost of living.
Insurance expensive .
It is not a happy place to work.
People are nice, that doesn't mean they can do a good job....and large majority do not do good job in their positions
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Poor management. Lack good raises . Internal problems
not a good place tp work
peon (Former Employee) –  houston texasJuly 22, 2017
everyone here is a bunch of back stabbers.they pay was ok (before insurance) but the health insurance was ridiculously expensive. Manager having relationship with a direct subordinate and showing very much favoritism. and the upper management wouldn't address the situation. I would not recommend anyone working for this company.
Pros
non
Cons
everything about this place
Good 'Ole Boy Environment
Invoicing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 30, 2017
Good opportunity for new employees as senior employees rarely receive opportunities for advancement. Benefits are average and paid time off for non-salary positions are just terrible. However, unpaid time off is allowed. Management is very hands off, which is good if you work well independently, but not so good if you need assistance with anything.
Pros
Relaxed environment.
Cons
Good Old Boy's Environment makes it difficult to advance.
Poor
Finance (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 8, 2017
Poor management and benefits. Lacks personal interaction between management and employees. Should put effort in appreciating employees and improve compensation and benefits
Cons
Poor management and compensation

Want to know more about J.A.M. Distributing?

Ask a question
Good pay and benefits.. Terrible management!
Driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 14, 2017
Good Pay and good benefits, but management is Terrible! They don't have a clue. Dispatch is pressured to pressure you. Most of them are new because they can't keep dispatchers.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Management and Dispatch
equipment division is falling apart
Fuel Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 1, 2017
I enjoyed working at equipment division until the new managers started coming in. Simple task became long over complicated processes that slowed down productivity and brought down worker morale. Hard work is appreciated but not when its time for your yearly review, its like they forget when that time rolls around. Don't upset any of the managers because they will start finding any excuse terminate you. Go in and do your job and don't expect more than a few cents at raise time. It can be a great place to work but keep the raise thing in mind, that is the reason they lost all there experienced original crew that made equipment division great.
Pros
hour lunch break, great co-workers
Cons
expensive health insurance
great place to work for
Dispatcher/Driver Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 27, 2016
JAM Distributing is a good company to work for good benefits , salary .

Job security and lots of opportunities for advancement .

Very good management .
Applicant beware
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 17, 2016
Management act like they support you only to get as much info out of you as they can. I came from one of JAM's competitors. Also had a week off due to medical issue with a doctor's letter, came back to work & was "let go" the same day. How's that for support?
Owner has a mini mansion on the water close to Kemah bridge.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Bad management all the way to the top, unsupportive
No fun activities here in our work place
Technical Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 25, 2016
J.A.M. Is a good company but they don't give you the opportunity to advance, they also hire from other companies so they wont give other employees a raise. For being a large company they also don't provide women with paid maternity leave.
Pros
great relationship with coworkers
Cons
They dont have maternity leave, No paid vactions
Drivers are very helpful with the new hires
Bobtail fuel driver (Former Employee) –  HoustonAugust 4, 2015
This would be an ok place to work for if they had a great management team but unfortunately they don't. They are like the military of the fuel industry very strict. They also don't offer bonuses to drivers for doing great work. I've also heard from at least a dozen of their senior drivers that raises are very low .05-.25. Drivers have been there 15 years and still haven't maxed out their pay because raises are so low. Management is very weak.
Pros
Great co-workers and decent schedule
Cons
Improper training, poor management, lack of communication and support
manage several desk roles....marine transports, tankwagon fuel/lubes.
Truck Driver/Dispatch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 23, 2015
learned a whole lot in the office as the single person that knew how to successfully run each dept. being a formal driver for over 20 plus years i knew how to communicate with drivers on an everyday basis. also started learning the logistical needs of the marine life.
Pros
loved working with my co-workers!
Cons
way too much for one person to handle on his own and not get the support from the management team.
Company going through changes
Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 4, 2015
Good company has went through some growth issues, but always looking for drivers to continue the process of taking care of there customers.
JAM distributing is a large and growing company that is merging with other company to dramatically increase company size
Heavy Duty Lift Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 26, 2014
JAM was purchased from a private owner to a public company. The current ownership is aggressively growing the company in the hope to sell in 5-7 years. This has implemented a very high stress atmosphere were many employee have moved onto other companies.
Pros
people are good
Cons
no job security
The office atmosphere is like a close family everyone worked well together
Credit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 1, 2012
A typical work day consisted of processing request for credit and setting up new ship to locations for existing customers. Learned how important education was as I had taken my very first NACM class while employed with JAM. I learned that I truly wanted to make credit my career. I was employed at JAM 3 years and had a change of management 3 times. Each manager had a differenct style of managing but I was able to work with each of them. The hardest part of the job was losing each manager as they were promoted to another department or left the company. The most enjoyable part was being able to take classes at NACM and other educational facilities that helped to further enhance my skills as a credit professional.
Pros
medical benefits; sponsor education, location
Cons
changing management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J.A.M. Distributing. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6