J.B. Hunt Employee Reviews for Owner Operator Driver

Found 16 reviews matching the search See all 1,787 reviews
20 years - ok but no chance to grow
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 17, 2019
worked 20 years on a dedicated account out of st. louis - first 2-4 years looked good and like a possible growth with good pay, benefits and bonuses. Years 5-10 management changes and no pay increases, but I stuck it out because I liked the company and was hoping for better - years 10-15 bonus system removed, changed years for vacation, changed management often and safety was tossed out the door - new equipment starting to come in years 15-18 but pay still not increasing to match COL and safety really becoming an issue - started to look for better opportunity, really didnt want to leave as I had invested so much time but an opportunity came and I took it.
Pros
low pay - poor safety managment
Cons
expensive benefits, no pay increases, no bonus
April 24, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! Please know that we are always working to improve the driver experience.

great place to work good dispatchers
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 7, 2019
JB Hunt is a great place to work they treat the drivers like family i had great miles every week the pay was on time and if there were any problems it was work on right away.
Pros
great meals on driver appreciation day
Cons
limited advancements
April 11, 2019

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback! We are glad to hear you had a positive experience.

Lack of appreciation
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 6, 2019
I am a former employees. I had a dependable attendance and have a great work ethic. I went above and beyond a what was required of me. I had a minor incident with the cruise control in the new automatics, at a speed of 30 miles per hour, and was let go just like that. If you're a J B Hunt employee, you can be replaced at any time for any reason. I am not a disgruntled ex employee but I am an unappreciated one. This is all true and not exaggerated.
January 14, 2019

We are sorry to hear that you had a negative experience. Thank you for taking your time to provide your feedback! We take all comments into consideration and use them to help us improve the driver experience.

Poor management
Owner and Operator (Current Employee) –  Florida State, FLDecember 29, 2018
Company doesn’t have good management, if you have a problem with your fleet manager than you are screwed, and have no access to his supervisor .
You will never have access to the supervisor and he will never introduce himself to any driver, the only way to reach a supervisor is to contact HR .
Huge company and you will easy get lost in it !!!
Pros
Load board that give you access to the loads
Cons
Management are not fair and play favors, low pay detentions
January 14, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We take all comments into consideration and use them to help us improve the driver experience.

Disrespectful and stressful
Owner Operator (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 10, 2018
After jb hunt treats you to a $6 lunch, beware of the stress and demands coming your way. Forced dispatch, low paying loads and be ready to go to a lot of under construction routes.
Pros
The free lunch and lounges
Cons
Liw pay, forced dispatch, disrespectful, limited trucks, lousy routes and loads
January 14, 2019

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. Please know we take all comments into consideration, and we use them to help us improve the driver experience!

November 14, 2018

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. We take all comments in to consideration!

Productive and good place to work
Owner Operator Driver (Former Employee) –  Haslet, TXMay 12, 2018
I enjoyed working at JB Hunt.
Management was easy to talk to and get answers.
The workplace culture was good.
My counterparts were friendly and we helped each other out.
July 3, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback about your experience with J.B. Hunt. We are glad you enjoyed your time here- thanks for being a part of our family!

Job was okay
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Haslet, TXJanuary 2, 2018
Job was fun got to deliver to different places and meet different people picking up at the rail yard was cool experience. Just wish the pay wasn’t so complicated and people and management where great equipment was great and well maintained
July 9, 2018

Thanks for your feedback! We are always working on improving the driver experience. Thank you for being a driver!

Good people, will help you if they see that you need help
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Rialto, CAJune 30, 2017
The other drivers at JB are real cool people and will help you if they see you struggling. Most of the people in the office are cool as well. There are just a few bad apples, just like anywhere else.
Pros
You get free stuff every once in a while.
Cons
The pay is not as good as it should be, Office people have the control on how much you make in a day.
Fun tanker company
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Eldon, MOSeptember 19, 2016
The guys in the office try to keep you going as much as they can. They are very helpful and family is a big part of the company's founder. They are an excellent group of guys to work for!
This was not the type of job explained to me by JB Hunt Recruiter
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Harvey, MIAugust 28, 2016
Job is not hard but is fast paced. Your pay depends on your output. Job consist of delivering coal and stone to the Cleavland Cliffs Mines. The equipment is beat up and needs replacing. They are in the middle of contract renewal or extension talks so I kind of understand them not wanting to replace equipment yet.
Pros
Pay is not too bad as long as you produce
Cons
hours, recruiter either lied or didnt have correct info, work is 6 days a week
over the road
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 14, 2015
I like that they gave a rookie a chance to go out over the road but it isnt for me.
pay is good if you dont want to see your friends and family.
Pros
always gone
Cons
big money
Good
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  South Gate CaliforniaAugust 12, 2014
Very productive place to work for and that's what I do. ( A Trucker) so good to do something that I love.
operations
Owner Operator Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARMay 2, 2014
often problem with empty trailer location to get loaded (i.e. "no empties"), will overtake extra loads which are delayed by someone else, good company
Will not make money
Owner Operator (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARFebruary 18, 2014
They told me that I would make $12,000 a month in there power only, So I tried it, in 1 month I lost $4,000 of the $8,000 I was already making which bankrupt me. I was siting at truck stops instead of making miles. Don't fall for the hype, it's not true.
Pros
Cons
All cons and scam
ok place to work
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Forest Park, GAJanuary 2, 2013
people not to friendly
loved driveing the truck and going different places
didnt get alot of miles