J.Jill Employee Reviews

Very competitive with low pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Coconut Creek, FLSeptember 7, 2018
I worked at J. Jill so briefly because it was extremely competitive with no benefits/commission. If you didn't make enough sales your hours were cut and it was unfair since selling can be arbitrary. We were all selling similar amounts and people were being cut due to being last in line, sometimes just a few bucks less than the next person. Terrible company to work for, they don't care about their workers. I'd only work the holiday season since that is when there are enough hours and customers to go around for everyone but if I were you I'd quit come January.
product
In the role as Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 28, 2018
Representing the product was easy sense the items are high quality product. The visual floor set expectation would change every month according to monthly catalog rollout.
Pros
great discount
Cons
no one on one development
Jjill is a nice relaxed fun environment with kind helpful people
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAAugust 25, 2018
A typical day at work is nice we get a some customers in the morning and during lunch hours it’s kinda busy but fun because sometimes it feels like you are not actually working and the manger is really nice and very organized and is flexible
Pros
Nice break times discounts
Cons
N/a
Benefits are adequate, but family insurance is costly.Pay is not competitive.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Tilton, NHAugust 24, 2018
Management is inconsistent. Employees' welfare not taken into priority. Pay is low. Culture is somewhat dismal.. Hardest part of job is not growing with company. Feel like you are a number. Most enjoyable part of job are some of the perks.
Brand-less
Web/Interactive Art Director (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAJuly 31, 2018
Pros
The company has potential for lots of growth in the future & near future. Most people seem generally happy with there jobs.

Cons
Poor or no sideways communication. Run extremely top down. It's never what's right for the brand, it's what the CEO wants. Corporate bonus is for management only, but feel free to work extra hours (salary only). Slow to adapt new technologies, they'd rather spend less on almost-outdated-systems, which just cost more in the long run. No corporate culture & the company lacks a soul. Senior management revolving door. Management is extremely miss aligned with each other and there lots of conflicting information with no clear direction. Direction from management is never black & white, but always conflicting.

Advice to Management
Share the successes with the people who actually do the work. Real incentives are needed motivate people and help move the company forward & become "a great place to work". Figure out what the J.Jill brand is & stick to it! The brand needs to come first. And the brand needs to understand that it's most important resource, it's soul, is it's people.
Pros
New CEO, should help the culture
Cons
Current Executive Vice President, Chief Merchandising & Creative Officer
I enjoy working retail
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILJuly 13, 2018
It's a great place to work .I enjoy the one on one interactions with each and every customer . I have learned to interact independently and make each and every interaction with every customer count.
Pros
discount
assistant manager
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Carmel-by-the-Sea, CAJuly 2, 2018
I was part of the management team, we coordinated the flow of the sales team., work schedules and training. I excelled in visual merchandising so i would run the visual merchandising process with my sales team.Learned product knowledge and sourcing.
Exellent staff, fun workplace.
Sales Leader (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJuly 2, 2018
Most of my training was self-taught. Poor systems for the training process. Our team was very capable & competent and helped each other in training, working with customers & new display sets for store.
Enjoyed the customers & staff while I was there.
Pros
Great team of Associates
Cons
Poor Training
nice people to work with
Part-time sales trainee (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 29, 2018
Retail sales is not what I would want to do, but it was terrific to have this part-time work to do as I looked for a full-time job.
By working there as I looked, I was able to show that I was serious about finding work.
Pros
part-time and variable
Cons
part-time and variable
Excellent place to work.
Assistant Keyholder/Associate (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJune 25, 2018
Organized tasks given daily, great customers, great staff, management extremely approachable, relaxed atmosphere. Managers keep the associates needs in mind when scheduling hours.
Pros
great atmosphere
Great place to work!
Sales Associate & Part-Time Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Saucon Valley Terrace, PAJune 25, 2018
Great Team Work Here at J Jill! It's a very organized company that has great procedures in place to keep things running smoothly. I truly enjoy going to work!
Pros
Great discounts, flexible hours
Cons
no benefits, few hours in summer, low pay
Sales Lead Manager (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CAJune 22, 2018
Overall J Jill is a great place to work for. The district manager is a great manager, works hard side by side with employees and teaches while she works.
Great Place to Work
Co Manager (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 14, 2018
J Jill is a wonderful place to work. It cares about it's people and its customers. It has a long history of taking care of its customer. Our mission is to make her happy and keep her coming back for more. Schedules are like most retailers but there are some flexibility.
Pros
Pay
Cons
N/a
Fun and nice clients, however..
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaMay 29, 2018
J.Jill is a wonderful place to work, however, the district manager of Minnesota and Wisconsin is terrible. She does not treat her employees well, she doesn't give you good feedback only bad, and she doesn't promote from within she would rater pick someone that is outside of the company. Also, employees and key holders are not paid enough to do this job.
Pros
working with nice associates and clients
Cons
District manager, pay
Stressful, overworked, not enough help.
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Leawood, KSMay 28, 2018
Management at my store is good but we are understaffed. Difficult to hire because of the low rate of pay. Do the job of 2-3 people every time you work.
Pros
The only pro is the discount on clothing. If you actually need money to live on, this is not the job for you.
Cons
Short breaks, not enough help, intense work environment.
It's ok to work short term
Returns Associate (Current Employee) –  Tilton, NHMay 17, 2018
Hardest is small minded co-workers. The best is the hours working 6;45-3;15. The lunches from the cafeteria was great. The benefits are good. The vacation was easy to plan.
Benefits
Cons
High School mentality
rewarding retail environment with solid background and product
Store Manager, Branson Landing (Current Employee) –  Branson, MOMay 15, 2018
I have enjoyed the product and the clients while working here. I feel the upper management is not connected well with my location or the challenges it contains but the company is solid and policies are fair.
Pros
great quality merchandise and company values
Cons
typical retail hours and work life balance is hard
Positive fun work environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 15, 2018
I enjoyed the clientele at J.Jill. And the over all work experience while working there. Great women's clothing, loved the product. I enjoyed the relaxed nature.
Pros
Great clothing
Cons
Working holidays
i would recommend anyone to work at J.Jill
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 1, 2018
Helping customers was a joy for me. Management was always there to give positive feedback, as well as, constructive feedback. A typical day at work would be selling and promoting the brand, including our store credit card. The culture of the work place was positive and rewarding.
Pros
Friendly culture
Cons
Sometimes associates had short shifts, ie: 4 hours
Seasonal part time
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIApril 27, 2018
Worked at JJIll seasonally par time. I enjoyed my time spent at JJIll. The customer base at JJILL was non approachable, and hard to establish customer relationships.
Pros
great store manager
Cons
limited hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J.Jill. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight