J.R. Simplot Company Employee Reviews

workplace culture
Industrial Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WADecember 20, 2018
great teamwork ,Always had help when needed,very helpful bunch,Management there when needed,very helpful and can take advise,Great place to work and raise a family.
Pros
lots of benefits 401k, and pension
Cons
you have to work here.
Simplot was a great place to work
Production Lead (Former Employee) –  Hermiston, OROctober 1, 2018
Job was good. Benefits were excellent. Job Security at that time was good. Management were wonderful. Job culture was great. I would have recommended this job to everyone
Pros
You had the chance too move up if you were willing to work hard.
Cons
No Cons
Productive keeps you busy makes the day go fast.
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 25, 2018
No complaints about the work been provided just there was no career advancement. When there was and you asked about the opening they told you it was not available anymore but 4 months later you see they just filled the position with a family member from the management. If you came up with a better idea than your supervisor or management they get mad at you and hold a grudge on you forever. Not a stable place to work unless you want to get stepped on.
Pros
401K company matched, provided uniforms and boots allowance
Cons
Very poor management, Favoritism, no career advancement, Racism
have the opportunity for advancement to move up in the company
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Rock Springs, WYJanuary 17, 2019
The most enjoyable part of this job is the interaction with all employees and contractors coming in and out of the fertilizing plant. There were alot of opportunities for advancements.
Pros
great schedule
Cons
Overall excellent company to work for
MANAGEMENT TRAINEE (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJuly 5, 2018
Simplot has been a wonderful company to work for. I have enjoyed my first real look into a career here. The benefits are excellent and I will miss them if I leave the company. I've enjoyed the autonomy I've been granted in working in my department and always hope to have that in a job. While I would love to advance my career, I'm young and hoping to start raising a family soon and I don't want to have the type of job that takes over my life. I want to be able to leave work at work when I head home at the end of the day. I feel as though any advancement in my current position would make that difficult. The culture and overall management of the company is amazing, though. They really are trying to make ONE Simplot happen and everyone seems to respect one another.
typical feedlot environement
commodity Hauler (Former Employee) –  Grand View, IDDecember 11, 2018
I hauled commodities to desired locations, after I loaded the commodity into my trailer. Through all weather conditions. used heavy equipment and worked around cattle
Pros
health care 401k
Cons
Great location and (mostly) great people
Senior Packaging Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDAugust 9, 2018
When I was there, Simplot was hit or miss depending on the dept.as far as advancement. Overall, the culture was casual and offered a good work/life balance. Their new HQ offices are spectacular!
Pros
Good cafeteria
Cons
No company store or health club
Poor management
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rock Springs, WYNovember 26, 2018
Need to talk to the hourly employees no one wants to work here and everyone is looking for new employment. Management is at the absolute worst I have ever seen. Head hunters everyone is a crapping post
Pros
Cons
Fired at any time
Not what it used to be anymore.
Employee (Former Employee) –  IdahoNovember 16, 2018
No appreciation for long time employees. Bad communication. Don’t know what is going on. They say family company but is more like a corporation now. Disappointing.
Pros
Good benefits, decent pay.
Cons
No appreciation for long time employees anymore. Good if you are upper management.
Good corperate inviorment
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Hermiston, OROctober 24, 2018
long hours and 7 days per week if you wanted to get advancement.

Owner believed in internal advancement until his death in the late 90's.

Great team efforts for my first 20 years.

After owners death lawyers and accountants took over and family atmosphere disappeared fast.

As the good old boys that started with owner died they were replaced with college educated people with no practical experience.
Pros
great money
Cons
Lawyers and accountants
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, IDOctober 10, 2018
For the most part your opinions were respected, considered and discussed. Management was good and seemed to be easy to work with if there was an issue. No obvious discrimination. Good pay for a days work.
Benefits
Cons
Commute
Overall was a good company to work for
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID 83702August 13, 2018
I know things have changed, and were changing a great deal even while I was there. They were a good company to work for, the benefits used to make it worth it. I believe that the culture has changed to the mechanistic organization, and has abandoned the founder JR Simplot's motto, of hiring good people and setting them loose.
Benefits
Alot of overtime
MACHINE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WAAugust 1, 2018
People were great and days were your average work day. Management had its up and downs. Days could be stressful when things go wrong. A lot of overtime
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
12 hour shifts
Wish I could have taken the job with me
Palletizer (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJanuary 9, 2019
Simplot was a great company to work for. The forced overtime could get old if you didn't have enough time in time escape being the one scheduled all the time, but other than that, this place was great. Pay was great, had plenty of time off. Full benefit package. Company puts money into 401K for you even if you don't. If you have the chance to get on there, do it.
Great work place
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAOctober 22, 2018
Good company with great benefits. I was home daily. I never worked 7 days straight which was a bonus. They did have a busy season so there was 12 hour days at times.
Shady management and human resources department.
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Charleroi, PAJanuary 10, 2019
Was off work recently with pneumonia and had a medical excuse. Got fired day I returned to work. Conjured up a lie saying that I didn't call off from work for 3 days in a row leading to a voluntary resignation. I sent my manager a picture of my diagnosis/discharge with medical excuse. Called off properly and got fired because i didnt call off everyday. Didn't think I had to once i initially called off and sent them my excuse then. Shady shady shady. Plus there is no safety training as well. Your not allowed to do lockout tagout work until your trained, but part of my job daily multiple times a day was to perform a shutdown and startup procedure. Horrible leadership and lack of integrity at Charleroi facility.
Pros
Cons
To much to type
JR Simplot
Electrician/Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Hermiston, ORFebruary 7, 2019
I started as a into worker and moved into Management and Maintenance at Simplot. I learned how to conduct myself in all aspects of a job. I learned about being a manager. I learned more bout maintenance and earned a LME Electrical licence.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Pay, management
Hard working but fun enviorment.
Precision Ag Intern, Alliance, NE (Former Employee) –  Berea, NENovember 27, 2018
My typical work day at Simplot consisted of usually a 10 - 12 hour long work day outside. It was hard work working long days in the heat but it was always worth it because the guy and girls I got to work with made it very enjoyable. Everyone looked out for each other and safety was a priority among all the employees. I also enjoyed getting to interact with the customers. Simplot also put a very high emphasis on pleasing the customer at all times. I got an inside look on how a Fertilizer company is run and makes a profit.
Pros
Good work environment, and pay
A good company
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDApril 26, 2018
JR Simplot is a good company to work for. They are committed to improving the employees knowledge and experience. The management does expect every employee to put 100% into every day. Management is also committed to making the experience enjoyable and works to keep the office politics down. The hardest part of the job is the isolation. The cubical walls are high which makes for a quite and focused work area. You are cut off from the rest of the employees.
Pros
good pay, benifits. nice people to work with and for.
Cons
office politics, clicks.
Good Place to work.
Forklift Driver, Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 23, 2018
Everyone was cordial. There was no micromanagement It was a comfortable atmosphere. Constant training. I loved the work schedule. There is a yearly bonus & raise.
Pros
Free lunch occasionally.
Cons
none.