Jack's Surfboards Employee Reviews

Promote within
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dana Point, CAJanuary 4, 2019
great perks! awesome culture. hardest part of the job. typical day at work. what you learned. management was great and the most enjoyable part of the job is the work life balance
Working Jack's Corporate Office isn't what its cracked up to be
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CASeptember 28, 2018
I was hired as a Data Entry Clerk for the Purchase Order Department at the corporate office in Huntington Beach. I decided to quit after the fourth day because two of my coworkers complained to management that I wasn’t learning the job fast enough. The manager then came to me and said she will give me one more day, but she wasn’t sure if it was going to work out. I didn't know if I should get upset or to laugh by this. I’m very computer savvy and perfectly capable employee to do simple data entry and I have NEVER have heard of a company expecting you to know the job only after working 3-4 days. Really unfair and totally unreasonable! Btw, this position has had a very high turn over of people quitting after a week or so of being there.
Pros
Mostly really nice people that work there and 30% store discount.
Cons
No benefits and low pay, alot of people quit working this position after a week.
Overall good
Cashier/Customer Service and surf instructor (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAAugust 15, 2018
It was fun working there lot of really cool people work there but only kids. The days were long work from 9-7 every day you work. The boss was very unprofessional.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Boss used drugs at work
sales
Commission Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAAugust 13, 2018
sales, stocking, register , folding , cleaning , closing ,events, money handling , opening , costumer service , organizing , commission , retail,family
poor managment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJune 18, 2018
The Huntington location management was ran poorly. Managers would talk to each other instead of paying attention to customers. Lazy and rude. Didn't feel completely comfortable working there
Cons
rude staff, unprofessional
Awesome
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAApril 29, 2018
Great learning experience and interaction with people. Always talking to someone new and getting to know different people around the world. Alot of tourist
Productive and relaxing
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAApril 17, 2018
I learned about merchandise in the store, and how certain clothes are supposed to fit. The hardest part of the job was unloading and loading merchandise off the truck, which was actually very easy. A typical day at work consisted of me helping customers and trying to meet my personal sales quota. I also maintained the floor and made sure merchandise and sections looked clean and professional. Management didn't act like they were managers. Most of them stayed on their phone the whole shift. There were two out of five managers who I thought actually had leadership qualities and actually presented themselves professionally.
Pros
Good hours and great coworkers
Cons
No benefits, no career advancement
Jacks is a hoax
Store Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAMarch 30, 2018
This job was weak. It was a popularity contest. They wouldn't put anybody to work in the surf or skate section if you didn't dress a certain way. The owners of the company are not surfers-they are middle eastern businessmen so there's a weird dynamic to it
jacks
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAOctober 2, 2017
just horrible staff and everyone was on their phone. managers took my lunch times. no one would ever cover anyone shift ever! one time a manager told me i gad to take a shift. just not a team effort.
Best first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Corona del Mar, CAMay 24, 2017
manager of CDM location is probably the best boss I have ever had. He might be intimidating but he is the coolest, nicest guy who would do anything for his employees.
Pros
hires students
Cons
pay is weak
Good
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Dana Point. CAMay 24, 2017
good store, nice food next door, flexible hours and lovely lovely people who would come in and enjoy the clothes I would throw at them. the managers were very welcoming and able to fluctuate with my hours and if hours did not work out shifts were able to be covered
Pros
Good food nearby, discounts on clothes
Cons
no commission
Jack's surfboard
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAFebruary 4, 2017
This was one of my favorite jobs I had, the employees were so nice and helpful with training me. Their was a great manager who made it a good environment to work at.
Good job to have while still in school
Manager (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJanuary 4, 2017
The owners are very old and can be cranky, managers are younger and laid back. All you do is fold clothes and help customers all day long
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
Tough to get a raise
Amazing High School Job
Sales/Register (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CASeptember 27, 2016
A typical work day at jacks would be a mellow day. You tend to know most customer that come in because they have ben shopping there for years on years. The management is awesome and fun. The most enjoyable part of my job would e working with my friends and loving what i do at the same time. ``
Pros
Working with your friends
Cons
Proactive, fun, and enjoyable workplace
Cashier/ Sale's Associate (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CANovember 17, 2015
Great entry level job with very flexible hours. Management is very friendly yet efficient with maintaining store duties. You work on a commission system so you are very motivated to make sales, it is not difficult to sell $15,000+ a month. Great group of employees which create a very pleasant workplace, everyone is friendly with each other.
Pros
Employee discounts
Good learning place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hermosa Beach, CAOctober 6, 2015
It was fun working in retail at Jacks. I learned a lot, how to sell items and strengthen the skill of customer service. On a typical day I moved around from different sections of the store helping customers and being in charge of the dressing rooms. I'd clean up the store after my shift, I liked a lot of things mostly working with the customers, helping them one on one.
Social Media Manager
Social Media Manager (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAAugust 3, 2015
Jack's Surfboards has a very special place in my heart. I started working here a week after turning 16. I was shy, insecure, and quite lost in life. I started from the bottom working the dressing room and ended working at home as their Social Media Manager. I got a collected 25k organic followers within the 1 year of me taking over their Instagram. For other work than Social Media, I ran fiscal reports, weekly reports, counted in/out registers, was a key holder for 3 years, worked 4 years of 13 hour shifts 15 days in a row of the oh so wonderful US Open of Surfing, took photographs for events, and was my boss's right hand (wo)man.
Excellent experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Corona del Mar, CAJune 2, 2015
Great Job for one who has never had a job before. A fun relaxed work environment that still keeps things interesting. I go into work knowing that my shift will be a fun and productive shift.
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJanuary 2, 2014
A typical day at work would be going to a section you were told to work in and fold clothes, help customers, clean up, dust, sweep, there was always something to do. I learned how to address customers and how to sell, it was my first job so it taught me a lot of what I needed to know for the future. The managers were all very nice but strict when they needed to be, it was well balanced between fun and work. My co-workers were awesome and it was nice getting to know different people, it wasn't cookie cutter surfer image like I had expected. The hardest part of the job was finding someone to cover your shifts! The most enjoyable was the whole job, I loved working by the beach and people watching and having a good time at work.
Pros
break room, friendly people, good vibes
Cons
low pay
Great/fun place to work productive with always something new to do
Sales (Current Employee) –  Hermosa beach CAAugust 19, 2013
A typical day at Jacks starts with the morning shift coming in and taking care of the usual morning duties. Basically getting the store ready for when customers come in to shop. After that we work on project to make the store more appealing and help our sales numbers. By this time customers start coming in and we're helping them out the rest of the time.

Jacks has taught me so much when it come to customer service. Dealing with people isnt always the easiest but its up to us to make their experience as smooth as possible. That sometimes means bitting your tongue and just doing your job.

Managers at Jacks are awesome along with all my co-workers

The hardest part of Jacks is probably carrying heavy boxes full of clothes.

The most enjoyable part is getting to meet new people each and everyday.