Jack Cooper Employee Reviews

Great work environment, great pay and benefits.
Auto Handler (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 21, 2018
Good management, very understanding, good pay, the work is not to physically demanding and staff and co-workers are easy going. I would recommend working there to anyone who has the chance.
Pros
Benefits, pay and laid back work place environment.
Cons
Outside work so you may have to work in inclement weather conditions.
good job but its get harder the older you get
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Flint, MISeptember 18, 2018
Its a good company to work for the hours are crazy the stress level is off the charts. In order to make above average wages you have to put in at least 60 hours of drive time plus your 10 hour breaks.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Flint, MISeptember 14, 2018
Jack Cooper is a great place to work. I have been working for Cooper for 10+ years. Don't fall into the mentality that some others preach do as little as possible because you don't get recognized for it, that is BS. Do a good job for your company, if they are not making any money they will close the doors. A non productive terminal will result in you not having a job, the customer will hire someone else to move their product. If you do your job and consistently do more than the daily minimum, work hard it will pay off. The harder you work the more money you will make and make your terminal more productive and result in a happy customer.

Be honest, work hard, and be the best at what you do. It's not brown nosing, it's good character.
Pros
Pay
Cons
old equipment
Excellent
Transportation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIAugust 8, 2018
It's an excellent place to work. I work for a wonderful management team. Our work environment. • Processes that we use make my duties extremely easy1.
It's a great place to work
Maintenance Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jessup, MDJuly 23, 2018
I really have enjoyed working here so far, I am just exploring career opportunities in other areas. The managers are great, easy to problem solve with and the environment is very stress-free.
Loved everything about working here
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 11, 2018
Loved my job. Loved how they treat you as an adult and does not micromanage. People are nice and the job was perfect for what I enjoy doing. I would work there again in a heart beat.
Pros
Cons
laid off
Great in shop management
HEAVY DUTY DIESEL MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  Flint miJune 8, 2018
JACK COOPER is a very good paying job as a mechanic. Has no room for advancement and that is very sad if there was management that had advaced from employees in my opinion it would be very successful but management trys to make it feel like we're on different teams, where in reality were all working for the same propose of having a successful career and employer. There management seems to miss the point and feel the need to disregard employee thoughts or suggestion that would help the end goal, where as other sucessful company's I've worked for promote with in and have a better understanding of what the other side struggle with.
Great working conditions.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KS 66115May 30, 2018
Dispatch driver on daily tours. Checked in loads that were delivered. I learn to motivate driver ensure their safety while in route. To promote good relations with our customer. Worked with customers to resolve issues to their satisfaction. I learned payroll system. Paid employees all monies that were due. Hardest part was to reprimand employee. Best part was getting to know employees and meeting their families.
Pros
Learning new tasks.
Cons
Great company to work for, horrible terminal managers.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Princeton, INApril 24, 2018
The corporate management are great people, executive management are great also, but terminal management throughout Indiana Kentucky and Tennessee is absolutely horrible. They do not care about the drivers, they do not care about office employees, it is very cut-throat and a sad place to work. I can easily see why the Princeton Indiana terminal got closed down.
Pros
Great benefits, paid weekly, excellent paid insurance.
Cons
Working with conceited, and selfies terminal management.
Excellent place to work!
SUPPLIER AND PURCHASE ACCOUNTING SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 10, 2018
Great benefits, very relaxed atmosphere, everyone is great to work with at all levels! Managers listen and are open to new ideas. They put their employees first.
Friendly and Caring for employees
Yard Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wentzville, MOMarch 26, 2018
I enjoyed learning something new everyday, the commendatory and the communication. I learned how to work with the union as a non-union supervisor and the rules and boundaries of these workers.
Pros
The learning
Cons
I can't think of any.
If you like being on call and not knowing if your going to be permanant
Driver (Former Employee) –  North Kansas City MOMarch 11, 2018
I worked there as a casual almost a year as a teamster female casual worker. If you can take being a casual. If you have an accident your gone you pay union dues and you have no support from the union they never tell you if and when you will be permanant unless you know someone. It's all in who you know especially the old teamster employees and management is terrible!!! You work long hours. A lot of drama and high turnover.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No support from union/No room for advancement poor management
productive
Yard Laborer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 23, 2018
Used to be a great place to work. You can make good money when not laid off. There has been a lot of changes and the culture has changed for the worse. There are a lot of negative people that work there. There are a lot of good people there still but I don't for how much longer. The work is hard but I do not mind that.
this company does not recognize and accomplishment of its employees
Dispatch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 21, 2018
management not involved with employees, workplace culture was if your not apart of there click you weren't not involved in any of the decision making. management does not recognize any employee accomplishments.
Pros
getting paid extra to work a saturday
Cons
terrible management
Horrible micromanaging
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Wentzville, MOJanuary 15, 2018
Service manager and terminal manager suck they work you 60 + hours and expect you to be there seven days a week and punish you when you have to leave or even when you get hurt
Pros
Cons
Bad manager service and terminal
Laid back and great pay
Auto Handler (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 9, 2018
Extremely laid back culture, easy job, and excellent pay. Everyone is really friendly and willing to help you learn how to perform your job properly. It's a simple job as all you do is transport Ford motor vehicles to different locations around the Louisville area.
Productive, always something to do and learn
Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, INDecember 12, 2017
Its a good place to work if your into diesel mechanics. And rotate in different areas every few months.. Get to learn different areas of diesel mechanics with a partner and gain more helpful knowledge and experience.
Pros
Great pay, and awesome benefits
Cons
Not many team players, temporary lay offs during General motors shut down period
Stressful, unorganized, incompetant leadership
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MINovember 15, 2017
Jack Cooper transport is a decent paying job with on the job training. At will employees are the ones that run the shop and the logistics operations in the front office. The Union based side of the house are the drivers and the mechanics. My opinion more times than not with the Union running with no set rules they should have been running the shop and up front because they had no structure base and they would always throw a grievance in your face. I honestly do not recommend this job to anyone if they are looking for career stability or a set schedule. I also believe that if you are going to be a vice president of the maintenance side of the house you should know a little something about maintenance as opposed to thinking you know whats good for the group and not listening to the personell who actually run the shops.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Union, Union, Union
Not customer service oriented.
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 9, 2017
I loved what I did, but it never seemed like the company was interested in customer service, and keeping our terminals happy. And that for me was hard to accept on a daily basis.
Pros
It was once a great company.
Cons
The business went downhill when they put people in charge that did not know what they were doing.
If your not broken down, it’s great money with Spectacular benefits,
CDL-Driver/ Union Auto Hauler (Former Employee) –  MichiganOctober 24, 2017
If you have no family, no kids and don’t have any problem being away from home 100+ hours a week, then it’s a fantastic opportunity. Just be mindful, their halfassed training program gives you about 10% of the knowledge that is actually required to properly manage your time, forecast delays or setbacks and grossly unprepares you for the mountain of BS when it comes to disciplinary actions for minor damages and log violations. It’s Very, very, important to monitor your down/delay time because you will not get paid for the time you document. Sneaky, slippery snakes.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Too much Time away, sub satisfactory equipment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jack Cooper. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about