Jackson County Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

If you adore horrible management this place is perfect for you
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 8, 2018
We were often required to work 16 hours OFTEN MORE because we were never relieved from our post on time. There are a FEW good captains here but other than that every other person in management is pretty much unqualified and just as clueless as the current MOD. The current administration is LAZY and concerned more about how they can make more money than the safety and security of everyone in the facility. You couldn't beg administration to step foot inside the secured perimeter unless it was to go to the kitchen and get something to eat.
Pros
co-workers become family
Cons
you never see your actual family
Half a star
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 19, 2017
I would rather go to North Korea become a Political Prisoner go to a work slave camp. Be forced to do drugs to keep me awake for weeks at at time then go back to work for Jackson County Department of Corrections.
Cons
Good job as a stepping stone
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 9, 2017
As a corrections officer ypu watch over and protect the inmates, ypu must keep a ballence between outside life and life within the walls of the jail, i found working here was my calling but too many people get these jpbs for wrong reasons and that was the only reason i left.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
16 hr shifts
Job is very stressful and revolving door management
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MO 64106July 25, 2017
The money that was spent on Administration should have went into the fixing up of the facility. Very stressful and bad on health. Facility employees on a regular were back stabbing and lying to get ahead. The right candidates for positions were passed over for those who were undeserving and not equipped to productively complete the job
Good entry level job
Sergeant E-5 (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 9, 2017
Good place to gain experience if you want to do law enforcement. Under staffed, plenty of overtime always have to be alert and careful.
always have to be prepared to stay after work
Pros
$1.00 meal
Cons
Good Health Care Insurance
Stable Employment
Sergeant, Supervisors of Correctional Officers (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 29, 2017
Been with the company for thirteen years. Received multiple awards for service throught the years of employment here, such as, Employee of the Month and Model of Excellence. I enjoy the Correctional environment.
Pros
Health benefits and good staff
Cons
Limited staff for all of the needs required
Work Relations
Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 27, 2017
I enjoy working as a Jackson County Officer at the detention center. I do wish however to improve with my skills and further my knowledge in a more safe and positive environment. I obtain the job as an officer to gain experience working with the public and to learn different aspects of law enforcement. Now after gaining some knowledge and experience I feel a rather grow in a environment that is more suitable with my personality and enhance my level of professionalism. If allowed this opportunity with your company I will then demonstrate my professional character with my level of performance and interactions with customers as well as co-workers.
Workplace Summary
Floor Supervisor, Correction Officer, DCT (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 31, 2017
The typical day of JCDC would be a very stressful day. Inmates would be rowdy and uncooperative with Correction Officers. The most enjoyable part of my job would be meeting people from all walks of life. the hardest part of my day would be when an inmate that you have grown to trust does something to destroy all of that trust.
Jcdc
Payroll/Personnel Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 27, 2017
A good place to work, especially for those who love law enforcement. Lots of fun people to work with. You have to be non judgmental to work with inmates.
Corrections Officer
Officer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 8, 2017
A fulfilling experience in law enforcement. Can be demanding on your schedule. Plenty of overtime available for those that want it.
Fun and challenging place to work.
Assistant Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 19, 2016
A day where inmates are transported to courts, visits and programs in a timely manner and receives their dues and the officers completes their assigned tasks and return home not only the way the came but with a feeling of satisfaction for a job well done.
Pros
Free lunches.
Cons
Officers are mandated to work on daily basis as a result of shortage of staff.
Very rough place to work.
Corrections/ Intake Officer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 15, 2016
The job can be very difficult at times. Management curses at the employees and everyone is all over the place. Their is no consistency one day its done this way the next you don't have to do it.
Jcdc
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 18, 2016
This was an awesome place to work. Very family friendly, and they had a bunch of health incentives. The lunch breaks were on 30 minutes, but because they feed us everyday, it was well worth it. The opportunity for advancement with the facility. This was a County job.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks and only a 30 minute lunch
worst job ever
correction officer (Current Employee) –  correctionMay 4, 2015
Pay sucks you'll work overtime all the time and don't know when. It's not safe at all. I'll say don't work here if you don't have to.
Pros
overtime
Cons
coworkers or not so bad
Paramilitary Organization
Assistant Shift Administrator (Lieutenant) (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MissouriJanuary 6, 2015
OUR VISION

Jackson County Detention Center – Where our strength lies in the foundation of its people.

EMPLOYEE VALUE STATEMENT

We the employees of the Jackson County Detention Center are responsible to each other, the individuals who work together to serve the citizens of Jackson County.

We must respect and recognize our individuality, similarities, and cultural diversities.

We will treat each other fairly in a working environment that rewards and reinforces collaboration, and positively recognizes the exemplary performances of both individuals and teams.

We are empowered to make suggestions and to express concerns.

We accept the responsibility to contribute by our actions and ideas to improve the organizations effectiveness and efficiency.

We will establish and maintain a fundamental commitment to exceptional customer service in our community through quality training and staff development.

We will strive to positively impact our profession to the highest degree possible.
I loved working there, but it is lacking Security Cameras
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 17, 2014
I loved the variety of Posts and Responsibilities, and gaining respect of colleagues. Each Posts' Responsibilities had to be memorized, Required to log every detail of action in work area. Delivered food trays to inmates. Conducted mandatory head-count twice each eight hour shift. Direct Supervision of large groups of inmates. Confirmed inmates within my work area, to be scanned into computer system and to be in correct living area. The hardest part of the job was frequent mandatory overtime.
Pros
Structure and Discipline
Cons
Lacked Sufficient Security Cameras
worse place i have ever worked for
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 13, 2014
for the job it self it is not to bad but the management is whorable to work for the pay stinks and the environment is even worse then that
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 2, 2014
The training and life experiences that I gained at jackson county could never be matched anywhere. I gained fathers, sisters and brothers with whom I still communicate with to this day
Productive place and great co-workers
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 23, 2014
the county was very productive and organized, I did not like how the county ran the mandatory overtime hours, you could be ready to clock out and go home and the time clock and be forced to work last minute overtime hours
Pros
benefits, good pay and holidays
Cons
did not enough calling the people "inmate'
Fun working invironment but very stressful
Corrections Officer (Sergeant) (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 11, 2014
On a typical day I would conduct searches of the inmates and their living areas to ensure inmate safety and look for contraband. I would provide training for my fellow officers. wright reports of any incidents that occurred.
I learned some self defense techniques, how to wright reports, and how to become a counselor for the inmates as well as fellow officers.
The hardest part of the job was being in a highly stressful work environment not only for the officers but the inmates as well.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to use my management skills to help out my fellow officers.
Pros
fun work environment
Cons
Stressful work environment for not much pay